PDA

View Full Version : Police charge 40-year-old man in bus beheading

newmommy
08-01-2008, 03:15 PM
OTTAWA (AFP) — Police charged a suspect Friday with unpremeditated murder in the horrific stabbing, beheading and gutting of a fellow bus passenger returning home from a carnival in Western Canada.

Vince Weiguang Li, 40, of Edmonton faces a charge of second-degree murder, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police announced.

The victim was 22 years old, police said. Friends identified him as Tim McLean, a happy-go-lucky young man who was returning home to Winnipeg from a job as a carnival worker in Edmonton.

According to reports, McLean had been listening to music and texting friends and family, his cheek pressed against the window of the bus when his assailant struck suddenly, stabbing him repeatedly in the chest with a "big Rambo knife."

The other 34 passengers and the driver were jolted by "blood-curdling screams" and fled, bracing the door on their way out to trap the assailant inside the bus, witness Garnet Caton told public broadcaster CBC.

"He must have stabbed him 50 times or 60 times," said Caton.

"The Legend of Zorro" had been playing on tiny television screens on the bus as dusk approached and passengers had begun to doze off.

The victim's father told CBC he had received a text message from his son as the bus was leaving Brandon for the last leg of his 600-kilometer (370-mile) journey, asking if he could stay a night.

Tim McLean Sr. replied, of course, he could come home.

The suspect, described as a large man wearing sun glasses, had been on the bus for only an hour and did not sit near McLean at first, said Caton.

During a stop, the suspect smoked a cigarette and then moved to the back of the bus to find an empty seat next to McLean, stowing his bags in an overhead bin, he said.

Half an hour later, he struck.

The bus driver, hearing screams, pulled to the side of the road and opened the door.

Passengers scrambled over one another, according to witnesses cited by the Globe and Mail newspaper. An elderly woman was knocked to the floor. A mother seated at the rear threw her toddler several rows forward to get the child away from danger.

When Caton and two others returned to check on the victim, he said they saw the attacker "cutting the guy's head off and gutting him."

"While we were watching ... he calmly walked up to the front (of the bus) with the head in his hand and the knife and just calmly stared at us and dropped the head right in front of us."

"There was no rage in him and he wasn't swearing or cursing or anything, it was just like he was a robot or something."

Moments later, police surrounded the bus and arrested the man after a nearly three-hour standoff, an official said. "He was taunting police with the head in his hand out the window," said Caton.

The suspect eventually jumped out of a broken window of the bus parked on the side of the desolate highway, and was subdued by police, RCMP Sergeant Steve Colwell told a press conference.

"At this time, I'm not aware of what may have provoked this attack," Colwell said, refusing to comment on eyewitness accounts of attack, which occured at 9 pm Wednesday (0200 GMT Thursday) on a Greyhound bus traveling east from Edmonton to Winnipeg.

"I can confirm the victim was stabbed, and that the victim was pronounced dead at the scene," he said.

Overnight, a Facebook website called "R.I.P. Tim" sprang up after news of his death.

"This is one of the most horrific crimes I have ever heard in my life," said one posting.

"I can't believe this is happening," wrote Leah Dryburgh of Winnipeg. "Tim, you were the best guy ever. You didn't deserve this at all."

Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day called the attack "horrific."

newmommy
08-01-2008, 03:16 PM
when i saw this on the news i cryed. omg .. what is this world comming to? who can you trust any more. RIP Tim!!

Damage82
08-01-2008, 03:38 PM
that is messed up. I would never picture that happening here. I can't help but think about why he did it, you can't be right in the head at all to do something like that.

Chinna Dah
08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
you can't be right in the head at all to do something like that.

I was thinking the same thing

donteatrawpotatoes
08-01-2008, 06:39 PM
How could anyone take such a precious thing without second thought? I really don't understand the world we live in, and I don't want to understand it, I just want it to change. I use to take the bus to northern NB by myself all the time when I was 15-18. now I don't know if I'd want to take it at all. (not just because of this incident.) It's just so unreal the disregard some people have for life... Life is meant to be precious and cherished. This is just a terrible tragedy. :(

rhiley_08j
08-01-2008, 06:52 PM
This whole incident reminds me of something you would see in a horror movie. I wouldn't be surprised if before long it was made into one. My opinion on things like this is that some people have become so calloused because of things they absorb through media that they can no longer distinguish between reality and fiction. I am not saying that this applies to everyone, but we all know that there are many people out there who are "not playing with a full deck" and when they are confronted with disturbing images, etc, they thrive, as if adding fuel to the fire.

Misty589
08-01-2008, 07:57 PM
This whole incident reminds me of something you would see in a horror movie. I wouldn't be surprised if before long it was made into one. My opinion on things like this is that some people have become so calloused because of things they absorb through media that they can no longer distinguish between reality and fiction. I am not saying that this applies to everyone, but we all know that there are many people out there who are "not playing with a full deck" and when they are confronted with disturbing images, etc, they thrive, as if adding fuel to the fire.

I have to agree. I know that when I was a teenager I could watch shows like law and order and csi, and not have a second thought. I haven't had television at home for 5 years now and if I see one of those shows (that are on at like 7 oclock at night i might add ! ) It really disturbs me, I've become sensitized again.
I always wonder what kind of people can actually write this garbage, and how the tv stations can air it at all, let alone at times of day when children are still awake. I'm afraid that this generation is growing up to think that this kind of thing "just happens" and is normal :(

I just heard about this this morning, and it's been on my mind a lot today. I hope that this young man is able to rest in peace and that his murderer gets his due.

sometimes I just want to go back in time about 100 years............. :(

inuit
08-01-2008, 08:34 PM
I feel for that poor young man's parents. They must be going through hell. My heartfelt sympathies go out to all of his family. What a horrible thing to have happen to your family. He was so young and to die in such an awful way. Where is God?

newmommy
08-01-2008, 08:36 PM
when i saw this on the news today i actually cried. i never knew the man but my heart sank . i have been thinking about this all day and wondering what is safe anymore. it really makes you think that we all take life for granted. this could of happened to anyone of us!I have 2 lil ones and am only 21 yrs old and I'm scared to put my kids on a bus with me now to go to sussex to visit family . The crazy thing is , is that the man who was killed was my age. like who in their right mind would have done this to a kid!!I think it would mess me up but i would like to be inside a room with someone who killed someone and ask what the hell they were thinking . We have some messed up people in this world now a days . I was reading that the man who killed the other man had no emotion in court!

donteatrawpotatoes
08-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Not only the family of the deceased, but those who were on that bus, and possibly their families are going to forever be scarred by this. I cry almost every time I watch the news, I haven't watched it since April. I just have a really hard time with things like this. I can't believe that anyone would think the way of this murderer. And to call it second degree murder?! He went on that bus to kill somebody with his 'rambo' knife. That sounds premeditated to me.

livkat
08-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Makes you wonder if bus stations will set up some methods of security now.

Tig
08-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Canada , needs to bring in the death penalty.

donteatrawpotatoes
08-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Canada , needs to bring in the death penalty.

For something like THIS I agree. There's no doubt he did it and he's a waste of everyone's money, and natural resources. He doesn't deserve the oxygen we share with him.I'm not a big fan of the idea of the death penalty... But this man just in a way ended so many people's lives. All those people are going to be terrified to do anything, and for the toddler who was thrown over seats in an attempt to save their life? Lovely first memory that. It's so hypocritical for me to say, but I don't think this man deserves to live.

MichelleM
08-01-2008, 11:16 PM
What I find a little disturbing is that nobody tried to stop him. They all got off the bus and left the victim inside with him.

newmommy
08-01-2008, 11:45 PM
What I find a little disturbing is that nobody tried to stop him. They all got off the bus and left the victim inside with him.

yes, i was thinking the same thing. but then my hubby was like youd think something like that but when it comes down to it would you really go at a man with a "rambo" knife who is already stabbing someone and who would probally do the same to you. people are very selfish with that. i dont know what i would have done! the guy was already dead. my aunt said you can go on youtube and see the news interviews . i havnt watched it yet. im still pretty upset about the whole thing.

JR3282
08-02-2008, 01:05 AM
What could you do unless you were sitting right next to the area in which it happened.....have you ever seen the inside of these buses...not much room to move...not to metion the 50 people that would run you over trying to get off the bus. I know its easy to say.."Nobody helped him"...Its easy to say..."if i was in that situation I would of..." but sometimes what we "think" we would do and reality are two different things.

newmommy
08-02-2008, 01:27 AM
i think that they need some tight security now on the buses or at least at the terminal or both. how can someone bring a knife that big on a bus and no one notice. because of Sept 11 we have tight security at the airport, the border and we have NOTHING at the bus terminals which is insane!!

livkat
08-02-2008, 06:48 AM
By the time the other passengers realized what was going on, there would have been no chance of saving the victim.

magoosmomma
08-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Not only the family of the deceased, but those who were on that bus, and possibly their families are going to forever be scarred by this. I cry almost every time I watch the news, I haven't watched it since April. I just have a really hard time with things like this. I can't believe that anyone would think the way of this murderer. And to call it second degree murder?! He went on that bus to kill somebody with his 'rambo' knife. That sounds premeditated to me.

I totally agree. He took this "knife" on this bus with the intention of using it on someone..somewhere.. Why not call it first degree murder then? How is it not premeditated?!

trinity
08-02-2008, 09:45 AM
I think they were all caught by surprise, they didn't know what to do. If there had been any sort of lead-up to this, like an argument or weird behaviour on the part of the man, people would have been more ready and willing to help. One guy said he was looking for a way to safely get close and help when the screaming suddenly stopped and he knew it was too late. As well, there was the "crowd psychology" going on, and the victim was a stranger to them all- people are far less likely to rush to help a stranger than someone they know.

It sounds like the man had a breakdown, he was a paper carrier in Edmonton. Doesn't sound like much of a career for a 40 year old, but we don't know the whole story. Maybe it made him enough money to live on out there. Maybe it was a job he was doing while looking for work. Who knows?

girdy
08-02-2008, 10:50 AM
i think that they need some tight security now on the buses or at least at the terminal or both. how can someone bring a knife that big on a bus and no one notice. because of Sept 11 we have tight security at the airport, the border and we have NOTHING at the bus terminals which is insane!!

It's a horrific, but isolated incident. By their nature, buses stop in many locations, many of us have taken advantage of "milk run" routes in our past, many of which are really only spots to flag down the bus. You can't put x-ray machines in the door of every bus and train coach. Are we going to put xray machines on every municipal bus? What about at the Super Center so people can't bring in knives? No wait, that doesn't work, because they sell knives there. How about every street corner, so someone can't walk down the street with a knife?

These isolated incidents can't rule our lives, you can't completely safety proof everywhere. It's a horrific incident, but there is no practical way to safety-proof society from it happening.

kaj27
08-02-2008, 12:47 PM
I totally agree. He took this "knife" on this bus with the intention of using it on someone..somewhere.. Why not call it first degree murder then? How is it not premeditated?!

Where did you get this evidence?

This thread is shameful. Some of you people should be biting your tongues.

FutureChief88
08-02-2008, 03:26 PM
would you really go at a man with a "rambo" knife who is already stabbing someone and who would probally do the same to you. people are very selfish with that. .

I feel just as bad as the next guy.. But selfish?? I certainly wouldnt call not wanting to risk your own life .. selfish. This guy was OBVIOUSLY mentally unstable. I wouldnt be running after rambo to get his knife. I think everyone on that bus did a wonderful job at protecting themselves, and trapping the killer. Hats off to them. Everyone on that bus will be traumatized forever.

My thoughts are with them and the friends and family of the deceased.

rhiley_08j
08-02-2008, 04:04 PM

Why is it shameful? "Biting their tounges" with regards to a murderer? I don't understand your logic?

kaj27
08-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Why is it shameful? "Biting their tounges" with regards to a murderer? I don't understand your logic?

The things that people are saying here. Calling the survivors selfish, or already jumping to conclusions with the murderer.

Biting their tongues is basicly saying. Shush! Let the police handle the finger pointing.

rhiley_08j
08-02-2008, 04:40 PM
The things that people are saying here. Calling the survivors selfish, or already jumping to conclusions with the murderer.

Biting their tongues is basicly saying. Shush! Let the police handle the finger pointing.

O.k. I see, you're right when it comes to the comments about the survivors being selfish. As for jumping to conclusions about the murderer, I don't think anyone owes him anything, as fas as I am concerned it is a cut and dry case, no human should ever do something that horrific to another human being. Bottom line, no excuse.

sanstu
08-02-2008, 04:56 PM

I totally agree.

bradorna
08-02-2008, 11:58 PM
I don't get why you think people should be biting their tongues. This is not gossip they are discussing, it is a reality and there is no doubt as to who the quilty party is. This monster should never see the light of day again in my books. I would myself have reacted the same as the other passengers out of shear terror. If this animal was capable of doing what he did to this young man, then he was capable of doing it to any one of the others that got in his way. They all did the right thing to get out and save their own life since they already knew one life was gone. My heart goes out to the young boys family as well as the ones that were unforunate enough to have been on that bus.

stripekv
08-03-2008, 01:33 AM
I would have reacted the same as the passengers...get the hell out of the bus, if I can help someone along the way, sure, but if not, my safety is my primary concern.

Chinna Dah
08-03-2008, 08:30 AM
I would have reacted the same as the passengers...get the hell out of the bus, if I can help someone along the way, sure, but if not, my safety is my primary concern.

I totally agree, I would be in high gear to get of that bus.

babydoll101
08-03-2008, 08:40 AM
I feel just as bad as the next guy.. But selfish?? I certainly wouldnt call not wanting to risk your own life .. selfish. This guy was OBVIOUSLY mentally unstable. I wouldnt be running after rambo to get his knife. I think everyone on that bus did a wonderful job at protecting themselves, and trapping the killer. Hats off to them. Everyone on that bus will be traumatized forever.

My thoughts are with them and the friends and family of the deceased.

I totally agree! How awful to have witnessed that, espicially if you have never witnessed any kind of crime in your life:(

donteatrawpotatoes
08-03-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't get why you think people should be biting their tongues. This is not gossip they are discussing, it is a reality and there is no doubt as to who the quilty party is. This monster should never see the light of day again in my books. I would myself have reacted the same as the other passengers out of shear terror. If this animal was capable of doing what he did to this young man, then he was capable of doing it to any one of the others that got in his way. They all did the right thing to get out and save their own life since they already knew one life was gone. My heart goes out to the young boys family as well as the ones that were unforunate enough to have been on that bus.

What really gets to me is that this 'monster' is going to live, and you , me, most of the people here are going to provide him with luxuries that a lot of Canadians can't even afford!

kaj27
08-03-2008, 01:52 PM

What if the man is sick? What if the system failed him like it has failed many other mentally ill people?

FutureChief88
08-03-2008, 02:10 PM
What if the man is sick? What if the system failed him like it has failed many other mentally ill people?

Agreed.. he most likely WAS sick. It was a terrible thing that happened.. but he obviously has something wrong with him. People who are well dont just do what he did.

rhiley_08j
08-03-2008, 02:37 PM

A person can find reasoning behind anything. The system "fails" people every day. They are than force to find alternative routes and be responsible for themselves, that's life, not an excuse. Any human being that can act in that matter should face the ultimate punishment. This in an unexcuseable crime.

bradorna
08-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Agreed.. he most likely WAS sick. It was a terrible thing that happened.. but he obviously has something wrong with him. People who are well dont just do what he did.

All I have to say in response to this is that there must be a huge percentage of our population that is "Sick". Otherwise our prisons would not be jammed full now with murderers,, rapists, pedofiles (sorry I can't seem to find the correct spelling). In my opinion it would be impossible for the system to be able to help all these people before they commited the crime that put them there. The whole world is a mess and I don't feel it will get better. Life is too easy in prison and also they are too well fed. Why can't these prisons have their own work farm, raise their own cattle and pigs for meat, hens for eggs, gardens for their own vegetables.etc The prisoners have nothing else to do. Let them feed themselves instead of the taxpayers doing it. They get steak more than I do and probably everything else better too. JMO

donteatrawpotatoes
08-03-2008, 03:29 PM
All I have to say in response to this is that there must be a huge percentage of our population that is "Sick". Otherwise our prisons would not be jammed full now with murderers,, rapists, pedofiles (sorry I can't seem to find the correct spelling). In my opinion it would be impossible for the system to be able to help all these people before they commited the crime that put them there. The whole world is a mess and I don't feel it will get better. Life is too easy in prison and also they are too well fed. Why can't these prisons have their own work farm, raise their own cattle and pigs for meat, hens for eggs, gardens for their own vegetables.etc The prisoners have nothing else to do. Let them feed themselves instead of the taxpayers doing it. They get steak more than I do and probably everything else better too. JMO

I agree! I don't understand the idea behind 'sick'. If he's sick enough to do this, then he's not well enough to be worth saving.

FutureChief88
08-03-2008, 07:37 PM

True enough. But i assume that this man didnt intend on killing someone on this bus. Maybe i am wrong.. but i am not going to assume to worst. I think he was very sick.. and snapped. The difference between someone in his (potential) position is that a pedophile intends to go and sleep with children, or someone who plans murder does just that. This man called his wife not long before and stated his time of arrival and such in a very calm manner. I just dont think it was planned.

Have you ever heard of dementia. It is very possible that this man has something similiar, and if he did, would have had no control overhis actions. Sometimes people arent wired right, and its just not something they can control. I believe the whole reasoning to me posting what i had posted was to say instead of just calling this man every name in the book and assuming the worst about him.. why not let the authorities handle what they need to handle. There is no doubt that this was a horrific crime, and certainly one that never should have happened, i just think that sometimes, especially in situations such as this, people just need to "bite their tongues" as Kaj said.

FutureChief88
08-03-2008, 07:43 PM
For something like THIS I agree. There's no doubt he did it and he's a waste of everyone's money, and natural resources. He doesn't deserve the oxygen we share with him.I'm not a big fan of the idea of the death penalty... But this man just in a way ended so many people's lives. All those people are going to be terrified to do anything, and for the toddler who was thrown over seats in an attempt to save their life? Lovely first memory that. It's so hypocritical for me to say, but I don't think this man deserves to live.

I agree! I don't understand the idea behind 'sick'. If he's sick enough to do this, then he's not well enough to be worth saving.

Yes these posts of your have been VERY hippocritical and in contradiction of you believe.. so to speak.

How could anyone take such a precious thing without second thought? It's just so unreal the disregard some people have for life... Life is meant to be precious and cherished. This is just a terrible tragedy. :(

And i find it very sad that you have such disregard for human life yourself.

rhiley_08j
08-03-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't understand why everyone is on donteatrawpotatoes case. She is justified in feeling the way she does just as any of you are. As for saying that the man is sick, that goes without saying, but to say that it wasn't planned. No you're right everyone walks aboard a bus with a huge hunting knife with no intention of ever using it, that must have been for his own protection.

trinity
08-03-2008, 08:54 PM
I don't understand why everyone is on donteatrawpotatoes case. She is justified in feeling the way she does just as any of you are. As for saying that the man is sick, that goes without saying, but to say that it wasn't planned. No you're right everyone walks aboard a bus with a huge hunting knife with no intention of ever using it, that must have been for his own protection.
I took the bus once from here to Edmonton, 84 frigging hours on a bus. NEVER AGAIN, but I digress. There are lots of reasons a person would bring a knife on a bus, not intending to use it on fellow passengers. What if your friend killed a deer up in Grand Falls and needed help butchering it? Maybe it is a prize family heirloom. maybe you yourself are going hunting. I have a friend who collects swords and is car-less, if he wanted to go to a gaming convention in another city he might well have a large, mostly decorative weapon in his bag. I had another friend visit from Niagara falls once and he was very anxious to show off the big shiny dagger he bought out there, it was one of those kitschy things with a dragon's head and fake jewel eyes. It wasn't sharp but it could have been sharpened.

FutureChief88
08-03-2008, 09:02 PM

You are right.. she is absolutely justified in feeling the way she does. I just believe that it was harsh to say some of the things she said about this person. My initial problem was with other people calling the passengers "selfish". But someone in Donteat's position with her beliefs and whatnot... i felt justified to comment on her contradicting comments in regard to human life. And for someone to say how precious life is.. i felt it was also justified to comment on how haphazardly she could talk about "throwing away" (if you will) someone elses.

Also, to comment on the knife subject. You NEVER know who you are going to run into here in SJ let alone winnipeg.. and what weapons they might be carrying. I used to travel to PEI on the bus frequently and always carried a knife with me. Not a large hunting knife mind you,.. but a knife nonetheless. Again, to make my point. NO ONE but this man knows why he had that knife and why he did what he did, and come to think about it..maybe he doesnt even know why he did. Maybe i am completely wrong.. i very well could be.. i just dont think its fair to place blame or judgement on anyone involved in this situation.

bradorna
08-03-2008, 09:34 PM
One question, if he was just taking the knife home or had been using it for some reason previously, don't you think common sense should have told him to pack it in his suitcase that was stored with all the other luggage in the lower part of the bus? I myself have never thought of having anything in my purse larger than a pen or fingernail file, let alone a knife large enough to be considered a deadly weapon. Nothing will make any sense to any of us until we know all the true facts for sure. Yes, life is precious as donteat says but man it is hard to value the life of someone that can do something so horrid. We are all human and simply cannot put equal value on the life of an innocent human being versus a murderer.

donteatrawpotatoes
08-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Yes these posts of your have been VERY hippocritical and in contradiction of you believe.. so to speak.

And i find it very sad that you have such disregard for human life yourself.

I did mention I'm hypocritical when it comes to people who murder innocent kids.

donteatrawpotatoes
08-03-2008, 10:00 PM
You are right.. she is absolutely justified in feeling the way she does. I just believe that it was harsh to say some of the things she said about this person. My initial problem was with other people calling the passengers "selfish". But someone in Donteat's position with her beliefs and whatnot... i felt justified to comment on her contradicting comments in regard to human life. And for someone to say how precious life is.. i felt it was also justified to comment on how haphazardly she could talk about "throwing away" (if you will) someone elses.

Life is precious. If you can save several by losing one, in my opinion, it's worth it. You're justified to say whatever you want. That's the beauty of this country. I just don't believe that after someone takes an innocent life and ruins so many more lives; that that kind of thief is considered human. It's a monstrous act, and he is a monster. He could possibly get medication, but what if he like so many others decides he's better and stops taking it? he would be re-released into society because he was not in a 'normal' frame of mind for the slaying due to his possible illness. And what if some day, he became ill again? The chances of that reoccurring seem too dangerous in my mind. And if he truly is suffering as a person who is incapable of handling their own actions, maybe the humane thing would be to end his life. Because surely if he got better, he couldn't live with himself.

FutureChief88
08-04-2008, 11:57 AM
he would be re-released into society because he was not in a 'normal' frame of mind for the slaying due to his possible illness. And what if some day, he became ill again? The chances of that reoccurring seem too dangerous in my mind. And if he truly is suffering as a person who is incapable of handling their own actions, maybe the humane thing would be to end his life. Because surely if he got better, he couldn't live with himself.

Yes.. wonderful mindset.. Hes no good.. so lets just kill him.

I am not defending this man, because i dont know what happened.. but i just find the comments of some odd.

But, as stated before, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

newmommy
08-04-2008, 12:11 PM
No one really knows why he was carrying a knife or why he snapped but him. As Sad as this is, he wont go to jail he will end up in a mental hospital because they will say "oh, well he is obviously insane" good old justice system we have here in Canada!

seashanty
08-04-2008, 12:27 PM
If your radio has a few loose connections, how many attempts would you make Before just tossing it in the trash. If someone can be so "ill" that hey can completely go off like this then there are only a few options we can look to as a society. 1. Try to "fix" the person, which would really require a great deal of medication and therapy, perhaps permanantly. In this case there is currently no recourse for society should the person decide to stop taking said meds.
2. Lock the person up in a facility forever lest they "snap" again and murder more innocent people. This does not work to assure public safety so well in Canada given the ridiculously short sentences we tend to hand out in so many horrible situations . Both of these alternatives require money and other resources directed away from those who are truly in need of said scarce resource (money). There must come a time when losses are cut if it is clear that one cannot be "fixed" (e.g. it is very well known amongst the psychiatric community that paedophiles cannot be "fixed" and as such should be removed from society for the protection of society itself.
3. Bring back capital and corporal punishment for those truly horrendous offences that rankle even the most liberal minded. As for the capital punishment in such situations, any argument for or against such a harsh measure is sure to be heated yet one cannot argue that once an offender,
perpetrator has been dealt with in this manner, the chance for recidivism is nil.

Some actions, however motivated, are so offensive to decent human sensibilities that if you cannot be fixed, you need to be removed from society for the benefit of the society.

Edit: to new mommy , insanity only works if te offender did not know his actions were wrong, as an example, if this guy was under some delusion due to his mental malfunction that the victim was a demon or vampire aout to kill him, that would generate a not guilty by reason of mental incapacity or defect plea. Medical insanity and legal insanity are 2 very different things. As well, currently in Canada, being found not guilty for this reason could very well result in a longer period of incarceration than being found guilty, albeit they would be in a secure medical facility instead of prison.

FutureChief88
08-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Edit: to new mommy , insanity only works if te offender did not know his actions were wrong, as an example, if this guy was under some delusion due to his mental malfunction that the victim was a demon or vampire aout to kill him, that would generate a not guilty by reason of mental incapacity or defect plea. Medical insanity and legal insanity are 2 very different things. As well, currently in Canada, being found not guilty for this reason could very well result in a longer period of incarceration than being found guilty, albeit they would be in a secure medical facility instead of prison.

Exactly.

I wouldnt say that a mental institution is an easier than jail and almost ALWAYS warrants a longer sentence. U cant just say.. o i didnt know.. and be considered legally insane.

TiDo08
08-06-2008, 03:04 PM
I was reading the news this morning, and they received information that the killer had spent some time in a mental institution not long before the attack.
They are supposed to be releasing today whether or not he is fit to stand trial, as of right now, he refuses to appoint a lawyer, and is begging them to kill him.
Also, I find it very disturbing that the police transmissions were leaked. What a horrible thing to happen!

KimmieBoo
11-18-2008, 07:36 PM
my teenager daughter takes the bus from Saint John to St. Andrews to visit her friends in College.. I personally used to travel on the bus when I was a teenager and there were people drinking and arguing a couple of times and I was scared... I have made this comment before even prior to this unfortunate fatality happened, --increase the price of the bus fares to accommodate the purchase of a portable scanner that everyone must walk through as they step into that bus just like they do at the airports.!!!!!

PA
11-24-2008, 06:50 AM
That story left out the part about the Truck Driver that pulled over right in front of the bus. When the Truck Driver realized what was going on. He returned to his truck to grab some pipes and wrenches for the other male passengers to help keep the man there untill Police arrived. At one point the truck driver and a few male passengers entered the bus to try and help Tim.
By this time it was already to late but they figured they would try and stop the guy from cutting Tim up even more.
When they got to the back of the bus, this deranged lunatic charged at them with the head in his hand.

The original report stated that Tim was sleeping with his head against the window. and he may of not even known that someone sat beside him.

Makes you think what this world is coming to. Its reasons like this that I believe Canada should have the death penalty.

R.I.P Tim

inuit
11-24-2008, 08:13 AM
I'm torn between two minds on the death penalty.

It's really scary now with so many people being jailed for decades for murder which in the end was proven they did not commit. Be really awful if they had been put to death for something they did not do. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that at their trial, the jury or judge had no doubt that they were guilty. In reality they were not.

If there is absolutely no doubt (confession, eye witness, smoking gun,ect..) then I have no problem with death penalty.

There is another side which nobody has touched on though. What if the murderer was your loved one. It's real easy to say kill the offfender if he is a stranger but what if he/she were your child, sibling, parent or relative. Then it becomes much harder to say "kill em".
Just some food for thought.

For the record, I think he should get the death penalty. If he is indeed mentally ill, who will protect the next Tim, the next time he or someone like him boards a bus? Society must stand up for the Tims of the world.

I firmly believe the prospect of death is a good deterrant from murder.