PDA

View Full Version : Day Care Assistance Program for Province of NB

jenny_lynn00
07-28-2008, 01:57 PM
I've seen many people debating over Child Care Coverage in NB. If you look at the following link from the gnb website, it outlines the Day Care Assistance program to help families with their child care costs. It also has contact information for anyone who may want to file an application for help. This is meant to be for all, those working, going to school or who have medical issues. You do have to apply, but it does show that you could qualify for some assistance making as much as $3500 a month (after taxes) I hope some people find this useful :)

http://www.gnb.ca/0017/Childcare/daycaree.pdf (http://www.gnb.ca/0017/Childcare/daycaree.pdf)

Blazingsun
07-28-2008, 03:13 PM
I got my sister to call for fun in regards to the link you posted. Again for clairification. If you are on IA and going to university or community college daycare funding will NOT be granted. That came right from the horse's mouth :)

jenny_lynn00
07-28-2008, 03:47 PM
I didn't necessarily mean IA, but this is something that is out there to help families in our province with the cost of daycare :D

Just passing along the info for those who may not know....

Blazingsun
07-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Ya I understand. But its just silly that they pick and choose. She works just as hard as any working mother....if not harder with all the hours of studying...and then when shes 30 she will be paying back something like 55,000$ and 15,000 of that will be daycare costs!!! I think it should be universal. That people of all income brackets and family situations should get assistance!! We are all canadians!

babydoll101
07-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Thank you for posting this. I wanted to see if my husband and I would qualify for this. I am a sahm and my son really needs the socialization of daycare and right now we can't afford it.

FutureChief88
07-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Ya I understand. But its just silly that they pick and choose. She works just as hard as any working mother....if not harder with all the hours of studying...and then when shes 30 she will be paying back something like 55,000$ and 15,000 of that will be daycare costs!!! I think it should be universal. That people of all income brackets and family situations should get assistance!! We are all canadians!

She is not getting help because she has an income. This is meant for those out there who are attending school .. and have NO income. IA is income.. therefore you are expected to contribute

livkat
07-29-2008, 06:44 AM
She is not getting help because she has an income. This is meant for those out there who are attending school .. and have NO income. IA is income.. therefore you are expected to contribute
The daycare assistance program is to help low income working families with childcare. Follow the linkgiven above, it gives you the chart, depending on what you make a month determines what you get for childcare.
So blazin, even though your sister is a hard working student, they don't count that as a job. Not fair, I agree!

FutureChief88
07-29-2008, 10:18 AM
The daycare assistance program is to help low income working families with childcare. Follow the linkgiven above, it gives you the chart, depending on what you make a month determines what you get for childcare.
So blazin, even though your sister is a hard working student, they don't count that as a job. Not fair, I agree!

I understand that very well. As i have used this program recently. BUT if you are going to school and have an income, they do not support childcare services for you. I have been there.. done that. In fact i was working, and receiving childcare subsidy. i started going to school, while working, and i lost subsidy all together.

its a horrible program as far as i am concerned. Great for those just strictly working, bu if you try and better your education, your lose their support. Its Ridiculous.

mizunderstood
07-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Thank you for posting this. I wanted to see if my husband and I would qualify for this. I am a sahm and my son really needs the socialization of daycare and right now we can't afford it.

what about mom and me play groups? taking him to the park? etc? put him into an activity? How old is he? Why should they foot the bill if you are home?? Just asking, not trying to start a debate...

babydoll101
07-30-2008, 08:42 AM
what about mom and me play groups? taking him to the park? etc? put him into an activity? How old is he? Why should they foot the bill if you are home?? Just asking, not trying to start a debate...

FYI- We do all of that stuff thank you!!!! I don't have to defend myself to you but I wanted to put him in this particular daycare because they have a very good preschool. He is 4 btw.

Gawd some people on this site lately!!!

mizunderstood
07-30-2008, 09:06 AM
FYI- We do all of that stuff thank you!!!! I don't have to defend myself to you but I wanted to put him in this particular daycare because they have a very good preschool. He is 4 btw.

GAWD some people on this site lately.. I had to laugh at this one.. All I was asking is if your not working, then why shoudl the tax payers foot the bill for your child? As I said in my last post, I was not trying to start a debate with you. Just trying to point out the fact that if it is not medically necessary for him to be in daycare he should be home with you, since you are a SAHM right? You can get all the socialization he needs by putting him into groups, activities, etc. My son is 4 years old as well, and I am looking into things to enroll him in.

Nita
07-30-2008, 08:30 PM
If babydoll's husband is working, than he is paying taxes...so...

sanstu
07-30-2008, 09:26 PM

The program is only to help cover daycare costs for working parents.(although there are exceptions to any program) There are other programs that cover costs for a child that is in need of socialization for medical/emotional reasons. (this is only done by recommendation/referral from Dr., IA, CP, or Early Intervention, I believe)

babydoll101
07-31-2008, 11:31 AM
So just because I'm a sahm I can't get assistance for my son to go to daycare? I have to stay home because of my other daughter's health. I have posted this before. I don't have time at home to teach him all that a preschool would and also it was the lady at the daycare who first told me about the government program. She knows I stay at home and it didn't seem to bother her about me getting any assistance.

mizunderstood
07-31-2008, 11:42 AM
So just because I'm a sahm I can't get assistance for my son to go to daycare? I have to stay home because of my other daughter's health. I have posted this before. I don't have time at home to teach him all that a preschool would and also it was the lady at the daycare who first told me about the government program. She knows I stay at home and it didn't seem to bother her about me getting any assistance.

umm. no? isn't the point of being a stay at home mom is to spend the time and teach your child? As far as the lady at the daycare, she might know some ways of getting it approved, maybe she doesn't know all the rules, I don't know. Of course she didn't seem bothered by you getting assistance, because at least through them, she knows she will get her money kwim?) But personally if I was staying at home I would not expect the gov't to foot the bill for my child to be in daycare. (unless medically necessary) Now if you go through your DR, the talk with me program, early intervention or one of the other programs, and they found that is is necessary for your child to go to daycare, that would be a whole different situation, but just because you can't handle(or have enough time) for 2 kids, doesn't mean you should get funding. It is there for people that are really trying to make a living, but cannot afford the daycare costs. I would recommend asking a DR to write a letter to apply for funding for you, if the DR feels that there is a need. When my funding was approved originally for my son, it was only because he was going through early intervention, talk with me, and speech therapy. My son was 3.5 before he REALLY spoke. Daycare has done wonders for him. I would contact a dr, and they can get you in touch with the right people if there is truly a medical need,where you daughter has medical issues, you may be able to get some help becase depending on your daughter;s condition, they may feel you need some help. I hope everything works out for you, and I don't have an issue with you personally, it is just people that try to milk the system for every dime when they should not be entitled to it that rub me the wrong way. Again, I am not saying that is what you are doing.

babydoll101
07-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Actually he only started talking around the same as your child. We went through everything you mentioned (talk with me, etc). I just never discused daycare with our doctor. I know our doctor would love the idea and would absolutely refer us. I never knew there was any help for us until I went to that daycare so that is why he has been home. Paying over $400 a month to put him in daycare is just too much for us right now. Oh and just so you know it is not that I can't handle him it is just that I know it will better him and he will love it. I have 4 children. I love my children and believe me I do alot for them.

babydoll101
07-31-2008, 12:57 PM
This is the post about what my dd has:
http://isaintjohn.com/classifieds/showthread.php?t=6521

sanstu
07-31-2008, 12:59 PM
why not put him into a jr. kindergarten program? cost aprox. under 140.00 per mth. Use the $100.00 childcare benefit and a portion of the CTB. and it's paid. just a thought.

I do not believe you would qualify for this program.You would qualify IF YOU are working , attending school or are undergoing medical treatment. (based on you and your husbands income)

babydoll101
07-31-2008, 01:01 PM
Where can he take that at?

sanstu
07-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Check with your local churches and daycares. You could also ask in the general question and answer section on this site.

tish
07-31-2008, 01:22 PM
My daughter 'graduated' from the program @ Glenview United Church on the east side here...she loved it...it wasn't too long of a day for her 9:00-11:30 Tues, Wed and Thurs.

Misty589
07-31-2008, 03:18 PM
2 1/2 years ago, I was on unemployment (regular benifits) and going to community college and this program funded my child care, but maybe it's changed since then

sanstu
07-31-2008, 03:21 PM
2 1/2 years ago, I was on unemployment (regular benifits) and going to community college and this program funded my child care, but maybe it's changed since then

I believe they still fund for CC. I think the problem some are having is accessing the correct person in order to apply for funding.

sanstu
07-31-2008, 03:22 PM
My daughter 'graduated' from the program @ Glenview United Church on the east side here...she loved it...it wasn't too long of a day for her 9:00-11:30 Tues, Wed and Thurs.

Perhaps you could post contact person/phone # for anyone that may be looking.:) (price as well if you remember)

Sheila_1980
08-07-2008, 07:23 PM
I think they still do as well.

I believe they still fund for CC. I think the problem some are having is accessing the correct person in order to apply for funding.