PDA

View Full Version : Safety issue or money grab?

nasoj007
07-27-2008, 11:49 AM
http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/rss/article/366032

Did any of you read this article in the TJ last night?
The Inspector said
1/ "the work he was doing was not up to the standards adopted by the province," From what I see in the picture it looks pretty sturdy. If you read this as part of the whole statement it's a little ambiguous... are 2,3 and 4 the standards he's not living up to or are there other problems.

2/"that the lumber and windows he was using did not bear the proper safety stickers," IE: he didn't buy the wood he cut and milled it himself, no tax dollars to be made there. As far as the windows go, are they trying to tell me that if I smash through a picture window with a 'safety sticker' I'm not going to get cut as bad?

3/ "that the basement floor that had recently been poured had to be removed," Why??? is the cement the wrong colour, too hard (some kid might crack their skull) or did he make his own concrete instead of having some trucked in.

4/ "and that the door installed between the garage and house was illegal because it didn't automatically swing shut." What a $5 automatic closer couldn't have remedied this, he has to tear the whole house down and start again. Seems a little harsh.

I'm sorry but I don't know this guy from a hole in the ground and I'm still pretty confident that he could build a house better than the building code. I just feels like the powers that be just need him to spend a lot of money(taxes) to build an inferior house. Look at argument 2, you can't tell me that his home milled 2x4 is going to be weaker that a government approved 2x4. My uncle ran into the same problem, the inspector wanted him to use the approved 2x4's (1.5x3.5) to stud his wall instead of ruff cut true 2x6's. The reason, it's the code not because it makes sense. Apparently what's good enough for our parents isn't good enough for us.

Now I realize to codes are out there to protect us from shoddy building(like they really do anyway shoddy builders don't buy permits) but if someone is meeting the spirit of the code (building a safe solid house) and not the letter of the code that should be OK. Everything is to black and white. You can build something that is stronger/safer than the code and the Inspector will make you change it to the less strong/safe way because it's the code. It's foolish. Anyway that's enough venting for now.

puppyluv
07-27-2008, 12:04 PM
While I certainly feel bad for this gentleman, there is a National Building Code, and many of the codes are legitimate for numerous reasons.

The lumber would be kiln dried, which measn would retain less than 19% moisture. This means a better wood, with less twisting in most cases. It also needs to be at least rated a stud grade or permium grade. He could still use his own lumner as long as it would pass the grading and would be kiln dried.

The common door from house to garage regarding the closer is an important issue to prevent a backflash of fire. I would expect any inspector would tell the man that. Not to say that would be the only point of not being able to contimue to build.

And no, not all things that were good enough for our parents are good for us now. Times change...practises change.. we no longer use single paned windows, lead paint, we have air bags and use seatbelts.

I do not think that it is correct that some do these and some do not. I feelfor the gentleman, but I agree with the city.

I am also at a loss on the safety stickers for windows. I think perhaps the wrong words were used there.

kaj27
07-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Damn, that is harsh. Especially since 'companies' are allowed to build shoddy houses, decks, sheds...you name it. They get away scott free, heck most of the time the courts protect them!

Something seriously needs to be done in this country about housing standards.

puppyluv
07-27-2008, 01:39 PM
KAJ,
You are right..there are far too many shoddy contractors out there that build..they follow the supposed code to the bare minimums, if at all, yet do not get caught..Sadly, unless the building inspector is involved, not much can be done. That is why it always pays *believe it or not* to have them imvolved in the reno's etc..especially if it is structural..even if the contractor says it isnt needed.. CYA people..

timmy
07-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Kiln dried is a joke. It returns to ambient moisture levels in a month or two. Properly air dried lumber is perfectly fine, especially for an owner built. His design needs to be checked for sure. But he says one of his sons checked it. That may just be a problem of documentation. I don't know where he would get "non approved" windows, used maybe? A door closer should be easy to install, as mentioned. There are rules about having footings, drainage, and water and sewer inspected before "hiding" them ie covering them up, which may explain the floor problem.
On the other hand, the house will be sold to someone when he and his wife are gone. Having been the owner of a house built by a "handyman", I'd like to know 20 yrs from now that a house I'm buying that was built in 2008 met 2008 code.