PDA

View Full Version : Vet Advise

jadeN
02-02-2007, 08:35 AM
I've read previous posts, since I haven't taken my gf's dog to a vet before just wanted advise on vets on the east, the only one i know of is on rothesay avenue, and I believe my gf has taken the dog to the one in north end before (just for needles). she started limping on her left hind leg so I'm not sure if it's been sprained or worst broken somehow indoors, i'm guessing either running up/down stairs or lost balance jumping from those rocking foot stools to get on the couch (no cuts/bleeding, unsure of swelling), i have no idea i wasn't home at the time.

I'm kinda expecting to pay alot to have it checked and worked on but i have no idea if different vets charge much different rates.

appreciate any advise, thanks!

adm
02-02-2007, 01:59 PM
The vet clinic on Rothesay avenue actually has a walk-in clinic after 2pm. I took my kitten there last month for the first time and was very happy with them. Their prices seem to be a bit less than the one in Rothesay or Manawaganish Ave.

Good Luck

michaelsmom
02-02-2007, 08:15 PM
I once had a dog that starting limping while I was in the hospital having my son. She was my baby, and as soon as I didn't come home the first night it started. My b/f thought she hurt herself, whining and crying and being all pathetic about it. Our landlord was a groomer so she took a look to see if there was something stuck, and she actually snapped at her!! Took her to the vet ($50 later) and come to find out she was FAKING!!!!!!!! Little bugger whined when the vet touched any of her paws and had a miraculous recovery when I came home. Couldn't believe it! but the vet I took her to was the Animal Hospital on Manawagonish, never saw anything like her going to the vet, she was sooo excited as soon as we drove into the parking lot (right after she threw up because she got car sick)

justme77
03-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Omg that is sooooooooooo funny. Thank your dog for a great laugh. Came at a great time but sorry you had to pay for the faking it . However, it is really funny.

marriedchickie
03-05-2007, 01:56 AM
mo\y mom and dad's dog, she's a big faker. She lays on the couch, and does this little whine, and won't move until my dad goes home. we all thought she was sick. As soon as my dad walks in..she's jumpin and barking and running. it's hilarious. the same as taking her out on her leash. we think she's all walked out..and as soon as we get her in the house, if she can get out the door. she's gone like her tail's on fire...she's just a big faker!!!:rofl:

Corky
03-15-2007, 08:31 PM
I take my animals to the rothesay one all the time...i never have a problem there...i used to work with them for co-op i know the girls pretty well..the one of the north end never heard anything bad about but you never know.

tred816
03-21-2007, 02:46 PM
The one on Rothesay Avenue is also where I take all my pets. I find them to be very affectionate towards the animals and reasonable to my pocketbook lol.
It's called Avenue Animal Hospital.
Dogs are so smart. Mine will sit, stay, come etc... until I call her when I want her to go in her crate. She then takes off like a bat out of H*ll lol. It's like she knows she's going to bed. Then, once she's in there, she snuggles right up happy as can be.

krista25
03-21-2007, 09:10 PM
I am sorry to say that I don't like the vet on Rothesay Ave. ( the green and white buiolding, can't remember the name ) :(
When I was a little kid, about 9 ish, our dog Patches was pregnant.
She went into labour and us kids thought she was fine. My partens noticed something and thought she was in alot of pain so they took her to the vet on Rothesay Ave. Just as we were getting out of the car with our mom and dad, I was holding Patches and I saw something and thought it was a puppy comming. Well, it was the afterbirth. Not good. So we were all scared and rushed her in to the Vet. Turned out she needed an emergency c-section that would cost my parents $480. Well when you have 3 kids, you don't have that kind of money just floating in your wallet. So my parents had a credit card at home for emergencies. They said after the surgery they would call with the credit card number. Well, the vet said he wouldn't do anything untill he had the money. My brother, sister and I were all crying because our dog was hurt, the vet saw this, and just didn't care. My dad had to call his brother and get him to go to our place and get the credit card and drive to the vet. My uncle got there and the vet finally did the surgery. After alot of worrying and alot of tears, we got our precious girl back with 4 out of 6 puppies. Two didn't make it, and the runt ended up dying at our home. The vet handed me my dog full of blood along with her puppies in a box. Being a kid, it scared the heck out of me. about 17 years later, I'll never forget that place, and I will certinally never go back. In fairness, it was a long time ago and that same vet may not be working there anymore, but I won't take any chances! :) I do however absoutley love my vet that I now have. I always take my 2 cats to the Animal Hospital on the west side. I love them all there and they do great work!

Sorry to bore you all with my story! lol

orange
03-21-2007, 09:22 PM
I am sorry to say that I don't like the vet on Rothesay Ave. ( the green and white buiolding, can't remember the name ) :(
When I was a little kid, about 9 ish, our dog Patches was pregnant.
She went into labour and us kids thought she was fine. My partens noticed something and thought she was in alot of pain so they took her to the vet on Rothesay Ave. Just as we were getting out of the car with our mom and dad, I was holding Patches and I saw something and thought it was a puppy comming. Well, it was the afterbirth. Not good. So we were all scared and rushed her in to the Vet. Turned out she needed an emergency c-section that would cost my parents $480. Well when you have 3 kids, you don't have that kind of money just floating in your wallet. So my parents had a credit card at home for emergencies. They said after the surgery they would call with the credit card number. Well, the vet said he wouldn't do anything untill he had the money. My brother, sister and I were all crying because our dog was hurt, the vet saw this, and just didn't care. My dad had to call his brother and get him to go to our place and get the credit card and drive to the vet. My uncle got there and the vet finally did the surgery. After alot of worrying and alot of tears, we got our precious girl back with 4 out of 6 puppies. Two didn't make it, and the runt ended up dying at our home. The vet handed me my dog full of blood along with her puppies in a box. Being a kid, it scared the heck out of me. about 17 years later, I'll never forget that place, and I will certinally never go back. In fairness, it was a long time ago and that same vet may not be working there anymore, but I won't take any chances! :) I do however absoutley love my vet that I now have. I always take my 2 cats to the Animal Hospital on the west side. I love them all there and they do great work!

Sorry to bore you all with my story! lol

I don't blame the vet though... I'm sure they get a ton of people who say they will pay, but then they don't, and yet the vet is left with unpaid time and expenses.

Vets have bills to pay too, and "bad apple" scammers often ruin a lot of things for everyone else...

Multiply that by a few people, and the next thing the vet knows, he can't afford to pay his bills and is out of business...

care1978
03-21-2007, 09:23 PM
i have heard really great things about Dr. Alexandra in the North end, i hear she is reasonably priced also.
Krista25 i know exactly how you feel, that same clinic wouldnt take my boyfriend's dog that was bleeding to death, in fact no vet in the city wold take him, but a rothesay vetrinarean did thank god. people tend to forget why they choose their careers in the first place , i imagine that when they started it was bc they loved animals and wanted to care for them, people are far too greedy nowadays i find.
good luck finding a vet Jade!

orange
03-21-2007, 09:28 PM
i have heard really great things about Dr. Alexandra in the North end, i hear she is reasonably priced also.
Krista25 i know exactly how you feel, that same clinic wouldnt take my boyfriend's dog that was bleeding to death, in fact no vet in the city wold take him, but a rothesay vetrinarean did thank god. people tend to forget why they choose their careers in the first place , i imagine that when they started it was bc they loved animals and wanted to care for them, people are far too greedy nowadays i find.
good luck finding a vet Jade!

Sorry, but I find statements like that really quite absurd, and an insult to the vets...

They have bills to pay, first to cover their office bills, insurance, who knows what else (probably big student loans nowadays too). Then they obviously have bills to pay at home like any other person.

So if people going there don't have enough available credit, such that maybe billion-dollar banks didn't even extend money to them (either through credit cards or loans), how can people expect a little vet place to be able to afford the risk of not being paid?

People shouldn't blame vets if they can't afford the bills... it's easy to see what pet care will cost before one gets the pet. I think the blame lies with people who get pets when they can't afford to take proper care of them...

PS if you look at my other posts, you'll see I'm strongly in favour of supports for low-income issues... so it's not like I'm Stephen Harper, or trying to bash the poor

care1978
03-21-2007, 09:38 PM
I find statements like that really quite absurd, and an insult to the vets...

They have bills to pay, first to cover their office bills, insurance, who knows what else (probably big student loans nowadays too). Then they obviously have bills to pay at home like any other person.

So if people going there don't have enough available credit, such that maybe billion-dollar banks didn't even extend money to them (either through credit cards or loans), how can people expect a little vet place to be able to afford the risk of not being paid?

People shouldn't blame vets if they can't afford the bills... it's easy to see what pet care will cost before one gets the pet. I think the blame lies with people who get pets when they can't afford to take proper care of them...

PS (if you look at my other posts, you'll see I'm pretty progressive minded about economic issues... so it's not like I'm Stephen Harper or something ;) )
you obviously didnt see my point, if i became a vet obviously it is bc i care for animals, now if i was any kind of person and there was an animal of any kind in front of me bleeding to death, and i was able to save its life.... what kind of person would i be if i didn't, i personally would do everything in my power (money or not) to save the animal. that was my point, bc if i was a caring enough person i wouldnt be able to go to bed knowing that i turned away a dying animal. that is my point.... dont feel like having this turn into a debate about who is right and who is wrong, if you feel that my statement was "absurd" put yourself in my place... and last time i checked i dont think people actually plan ahead that their animals are going to get stabbed while you have them out for a walk, it has nothing to do with whether or not the owner can take proper care of them, our dog was well taken care of, needled,fixed and the whole 9.

orange
03-21-2007, 09:46 PM
you obviously didnt see my point, if i became a vet obviously it is bc i care for animals, now if i was any kind of person and there was an animal of any kind in front of me bleeding to death, and i was able to save its life.... what kind of person would i be if i didn't, i personally would do everything in my power (money or not) to save the animal. that was my point, bc if i was a caring enough person i wouldnt be able to go to bed knowing that i turned away a dying animal. that is my point....

I understand your point, but the problem is there are so many scammers out there that if the vet takes those risks (of taking on work without payment), the next thing he knows, he can't pay his bills and is bankrupt...

dont feel like having this turn into a debate about who is right and who is wrong, if you feel that my statement was "absurd" put yourself in my place... and last time i checked i dont think people actually plan ahead that their animals are going to get stabbed while you have them out for a walk, it has nothing to do with whether or not the owner can take proper care of them, our dog was well taken care of, needled,fixed and the whole 9.

But the thing is that people need a financial cushion if they want to have pets, so that they can deal with problems that might come up if the pet gets sick, injured, etc. (and it's pretty much inevitable that something will come up at some point...)

If a billion-dollar bank won't take a risk and extend a person an extra $500 on their credit card, then I don't know why people would expect a little vet place to take on that risk.

I am sincerely sympathetic about your dog getting hurt, but I don't think it's right that people insult vets that way, when vets have a lot of bills to pay just to stay operating, and pay their home bills like anyone else.

I'm not trying to target your post in particular on this... krista25's post also got me on this track, and it's also because I know that many other people take it for granted that vets have large bills to pay

care1978
03-21-2007, 09:56 PM
I understand your point, but the problem is there are so many scammers out there that if the vet takes those risks (of taking on work without payment), the next thing he knows, he can't pay his bills and is bankrupt...

But the thing is that people need a financial cushion if they want to have pets, so that they can deal with problems that might come up if the pet gets sick, injured, etc. (and it's pretty much inevitable that something will come up at some point...)

If a billion-dollar bank won't take a risk and extend a person an extra $500 on their credit card, then I don't know why people would expect a little vet place to take on that risk.

I am sorry that your dog got hurt, but I don't think it's right that people insult vets that way, when vets have a lot of bills to pay just to stay operating, and pay their home bills like anyone else.
i understand that they have bills to pay, but there is such a thing (or at least i thought there was) as being humane, this was after hours, she was offered what we had,plus all our idea for collateral, and still said no, i just thought it was cold. im not saying all vets are the same, but i also see this same coldness with people at the hospitals, and it depresses me to think that i have to raise my child in a society that has become so bitter. "not directed at all people in general,just some)

orange
03-21-2007, 10:06 PM
i understand that they have bills to pay, but there is such a thing (or at least i thought there was) as being humane, this was after hours, she was offered what we had,plus all our idea for collateral, and still said no, i just thought it was cold. im not saying all vets are the same, but i also see this same coldness with people at the hospitals, and it depresses me to think that i have to raise my child in a society that has become so bitter. "not directed at all people in general,just some)

Sadly, I think it's like "the boy who cried wolf"

I bet the average vet has been burned too many times by scammers who don't pay their bills, so when a real case comes along like yours (as someone who will pay the bill), they just can't take the risk

It's probably either that or go bankrupt, unfortunately

Still though, just in general, I think people need to plan for the unexpected (I admit I definitely don't do this enough either), because vets just aren't in a position to take the risk of nonpayment.

Anyway, sorry, I didn't want to argue, I just wanted to say that I don't think vets should be insulted regarding the risk of not getting paid

krista25
03-21-2007, 10:10 PM
I didn't mean to get anyone into a debate with my story. :)
I absoutley know that there are scammers out there that take advantage of someone else's kindness. However, it sticks in my mind as a very bad situation, and to add to it, our poor tired dog was left full of blood. They could have certinally cleaned her up a bit after paying them $480.

I personally believe that the heart is taken out of alot of professions. Some people ruin kindness by taking advantage of it, this is true. But some people are just cold hearted and are driven by money.

I wish everyone good luck with their pets and I hope everything turns out well. :D

care1978
03-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Sadly, I think it's like "the boy who cried wolf"

I bet the average vet has been burned too many times by scammers who don't pay their bills, so when a real case comes along like yours (as someone who will pay the bill), they just can't take the risk

It's probably either that or go bankrupt, unfortunately

Still though, just in general, I think people need to plan for the unexpected (I admit I definitely don't do this enough either), because vets just aren't in a position to take the risk of nonpayment.

Anyway, sorry, I didn't want to argue, I just wanted to say that I don't think vets should be insulted regarding the risk of not getting paid
no worries, i see your point and i misunderstood and thought you werent seeing mine, i also apologize :)

orange
03-21-2007, 10:17 PM
no worries, i see your point and i misunderstood and thought you werent seeing mine, i also apologize :)

Yeah sorry about that :) It was just a pet peeve (lol, I just realized the pun... but wasn't intended :D) of mine for a while and happened to come out now