PDA

View Full Version : Oil/Electric/pellet or natural gas

puppyluv
07-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Since it seems it is $1200 to fill a 200g oil tank now (oye vey) I am forced to consider other heating options.
Not thinking Electric is going to be cost feasible, I am down to pellet vs nat gas....

My thinking is though that I won't be able to get rid of the oil...because i have baseboard heaters ...and heat water with oil...currently have a newer 100amp panel

idea's recommendations???

house ia aprox 40 years old, simple bungalow..

dan j
07-22-2008, 04:42 PM
You can heat hot water with electricity. However, the price of which will surely rise over the next several years.

You can also think about things like geo-thermal or solar hot water which can provide you with domestic hot water and supplement your electricity in heating up your hot water for your baseboard heaters. These things require a larger up front investment but will pay off in the long run. Also, grants and loans are available from the Feds and the Prov governments.

A few vendors were showcasing solar hot water heat at the Homeshow at Harbour Station during the winter. It was quite interesting how it works and all that.

sanstu
07-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Puppy, I have electric heat (my house is 2 yrs. old) and am also thinking about an alternate heat source. I would prefer pellett, however hubby says the pelletts are hard to find as several companies have closed in the province.(I don't know if that info is acurate) Pellets cost about $5.00 per day which is quite attractive.
Hubby's solution? build another house, this time installing a heat pump!

puppyluv
08-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Well, after checking around with numerous places and researchingproducts online, a pellet stove IS the way to go for us. I have gone to numerous places and will be able to get what I want for what I feel is a fair and reasonable price (installed) and they wanted my business. Another place I went too seemed to have the take it or leave it attitude. (for 4g that did not impress me:mad: ). So Valley Hearth in Quispamsis will be getting it...

oh...and just as an fyi..pellet prices will be going up (what a surprise)...and may be a tad bit harder to find..so I will be buying a pallet and storing them! Hahah...which is ok..because the gov't will rebate $500. to me for using the insert pellet stove!:biggrin: