PDA

View Full Version : Rogers vs Aliant Digital TV

jen_161
07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
I am with Rogers currently and am considering switching over to Aliant for digital tv. I'm just wondering how the Aliant tv is. Are the packages comparable to that of what Rogers has? Is it cheaper? etc.

kaj27
07-18-2008, 03:41 PM
If you like paying lots of $$ then go for it. You normally have to have Phone and Internet services through them first.

Also has to be in your area, not all areas have Aliant TV.

jen_161
07-18-2008, 03:44 PM
I already have a value package with Aliant but am paying $80 a month with Rogers to have Digital Cable. If I can bundle it and save I will however I'm wondering what the packages are like because online it says that it offers 60+ channels but with Rogers I get 220.

Damage82
07-18-2008, 03:57 PM
most of those channels with rogers is repeats, ch 106-144 is just canadian time shifting channels. I remember when investigating the Aliant services that it seemed cheaper, but the install sounded like a hassle.

Tara
07-18-2008, 04:04 PM
I have aliant tv and I didn't find the install to be a hassle, TBH I like aliant tv much better than rogers and I'm paying about the same and the customer service (I find) is MUCH better.

Damage82
07-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Existing High-Speed customers who are accustomed to using filters on their phone lines will now have one dedicated jack in their home for their High-Speed and TV services, thus removing the need for filters. The Aliant installation technician will carry out any wiring needed to accommodate your PC and TV locations.

This is what I meant, they may not do this. Did your internet slow down when you got the service, I remember reading that it did.

kaj27
07-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Here are their 60+ Channels...

Digital Advantage (http://productsandservice.aliant.net/PS/nb/english/productsandservices/ps_AliantTV.jsp?section=6&subsection=2&bodycont=productsandservices%2fAliantTV%2fchannels AndPricing%2fpk-Favorites.jsp&curbody=62)

I've worked it out several times before I signed up with Rogers and it is more costly to have Aliant than Rogers.

livkat
07-18-2008, 05:31 PM
kaj a friend of mine has Aliant and I'm with Rogers, he has movie channels basic channels, and the ever popular tree house channel. He's paying a heck of a lot less then me. I have rogers VIP bundle, which does not include movie channels or tree house. I'm paying $55 for the bundle, then another $20.49 for cable plus which I had to purchase in order to have tree house. Aliant has this included in their basic package from what I've been told. Aliant t.v is not available in my area, but as soon as it is Rogers is history!!

kaj27
07-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Meh I have every channel from Rogers except the movie packages. All HD channels and all that fun stuff.

Still I have all the features of modern technology for $125. I priced Aliant and it was at least $200.

Tara
07-18-2008, 05:54 PM
I pay just under 200 and I have all the channels including the movie channels, my computer, everything on my phone including a long distance plan and my internet. I've had way too many bad experiences with Rogers and no issues with aliant. To each their own.

livkat
07-18-2008, 06:05 PM
the research that I just did with the link you provided Kaj, showed me that I'm paying way more with rogers.

kaj27
07-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Well AliantTV is not HD. Can't have that with my TV :)

Also they can only have up to 3 outlets. This is probably due to bandwidth or their equipment. Rogers, with the VIP package you can have up to 6? outlets.

HD is the seller for me.

For me Alaint wouldn't be cheaper...

Their rate for:
Value Package (Aliant TV + Home phone + Features
+ Unlimited Atlantic Long Distance)

Is $100

That Digital TV service includes:
with Digital Advantage + 1 theme package1

Also that does NOT include internet service....So tack on another...

$29.95 /mth for 12 mths Promotional rate for new customers1
$42.95 /mth for 12 mths. 12 month contract1
$47.95 /mth No contract

Eeeeek!

And no HD...

Aliant = Fail.

PA
07-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Well AliantTV is not HD. Can't have that with my TV :)

Also they can only have up to 3 outlets. This is probably due to bandwidth or their equipment. Rogers, with the VIP package you can have up to 6? outlets.

HD is the seller for me.

For 6 outlets, a second line from the pole is required to be ran to your house.

Stuff like this is why Rogers is so expensive. They have to pay the tech's to do all this work which takes alot of time. Im speaking from experience as I use to be a rogers tech.

Aliant is about half the price and as of now they only support up to 3 outlets because of the broadband. They can only send so much data into your house over the tiny lines. In newfoundland they have made it so you can have up to 6-8. So it shouldnt be long before that will be availible here as well.

If you are looking for HD then stick with Rogers. But to be honest. HD isn't worth paying all that much for. IMO

kaj27
07-18-2008, 06:21 PM
For 6 outlets. A second line from the pole is required to be ran to your house.

Stuff like this is why Rogers is so expensive. They have to pay the tech's to do all this work which takes alot of time. Im speaking from experience as I use to be a rogers tech.

Aliant is about half the price and as of now they only support up to 3 outlets because of the broadband. They can only send so much data into your house over the tiny lines. In newfoundland they have made it so you can have up to 6-8. So it shouldnt be long before that will be availible here as well.

I had over 6 outlets in my previous home. No second line. No signal loss. No problem...

Link to Rogers middle of the road package:
http://www.myhomeadvantage.ca/ramazon_content/u_details_plus.html

They came out with these packages after I signed up but check out the free stuff you get!

sanstu
07-18-2008, 06:51 PM
I have an excellent package with Bell Satellite, total cost $68.00 plus tax. I would never go back to Rogers. It certainly can pay to shop around.

kaj27
07-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I have an excellent package with Bell Satellite, total cost $68.00 plus tax. I would never go back to Rogers. It certainly can pay to shop around.

I was a fan of the dish, but I cannot have this on my building.

PA
07-19-2008, 12:47 AM
I had over 6 outlets in my previous home. No second line. No signal loss. No problem...

Link to Rogers middle of the road package:
http://www.myhomeadvantage.ca/ramazon_content/u_details_plus.html

They came out with these packages after I signed up but check out the free stuff you get!

Due to current Rogers specifications. Rogers Tech's are required to install a second drop. Im not saying all techs do it because depending on how close to the hub you are and if your signal is strong, allot of techs wont bother however with that said. It is still required by rogers specs to install another drop if more then 6 outlets are present. I have been written up twice for not doing this lol

FutureChief88
07-19-2008, 05:47 PM
wow.. u guys r crazy..lol

I hate rogers customer service.. but i have awesome deals.

I have HD cable (including treehouse :))
Internet
Home Phone
and 2 cell phones

all phones have caller ID and answering machines and i only pay $250/month

livkat
07-20-2008, 06:57 AM
Wow, they are rippin me then, my rogers cell phone is $70 alone.

FutureChief88
07-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Must be..

I get discounts cause i have more with them..but because i have every service through them..i get 15% off of each service. Which rocks.

kaj27
07-20-2008, 11:49 AM
wow.. u guys r crazy..lol

I hate rogers customer service.. but i have awesome deals.

I have HD cable (including treehouse :))
Internet
Home Phone
and 2 cell phones

all phones have caller ID and answering machines and i only pay $250/month

Ouch you pay $250?

Geez

I only pay $125 and I have HD Cable, Internet, Home phone and 2 mobile phones as well.

livkat
07-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Ouch you pay $250?

Geez

I only pay $125 and I have HD Cable, Internet, Home phone and 2 mobile phones as well.
I find it very hard to believe that you get all those services for $125 a month.

kaj27
07-20-2008, 01:02 PM
I find it very hard to believe that you get all those services for $125 a month.

Good for you.

Easy as pie

Rogers Home Phone: $13 (1/2 price for 2 years)
Rogers Hi-Speed Internet $32.99
Rogers HD/VIP Package $57. Own my own boxes also get rebates because of owning a box.
Rogers Wireless $10. Yes, a $10 plan.

:)

FutureChief88
07-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Well we have a family plan with lots of talk time on our cells. We use then alot. Plus.. thats usually with overages. But our plans are $40 a month a piece.. then the discounts. Also.. I have 2 boxes... only one of which is the HD box.. but i pay for them both.
I am quite happy with $250 a month tho.

kaj27
07-20-2008, 05:38 PM
I am quite happy with $250 a month tho.

All that matters!

Freudian
08-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Imagine a person's surprise when they get an HD box all installed and they flip through the channels and say "Hey, I thought this box made all my channels HD?" Then the installer or the Customer Service agent says "Oh, no. There are only ## channels in HD, the rest are standard digital quality".

I'd love to have HD, but it makes more sense right now to get a PS3 to use as a Blu-ray disc player if you have a nice 1080p TV already, rather than getting an HD Box from Sat or Cable.

By the time -I- get a 1080p 42" LCD/Plasma TV Set, most channels will probably be broadcasting in HD anyway! LOL!

If I get Blu-ray, I'll most likely get it for my Computer first to use with my 20" LCD WS.

Cheers.

newmommy
08-01-2008, 10:00 AM
i have rogers. and i love it.it is costly but i like it. i have the vip package with treehouse all the music channales like much vibe, much punch ect. the movie channles, wwe 24/7. and the highest high speed internet the have and 3 boxes one being thier PVR box which is in my living room. my son has a box in his room and i have a box in my room and i pay a little over 300.00 a month.which is costly but the service is good.

i lived in grove hill which is by hampton and i had aliant cable but it was satilite through them but bell kinda thing and aliant phone and i was paying over 300.00 a month for them.and the service sucked.

Nita
08-02-2008, 08:39 PM
We switched to Aliant TV last fall & it has it's pros & cons.

Major pro is the price...super cheap. We pay around $30 a month until November & then I think we'll pay around $40 at that time. Installation was for for 3 rooms, but we only hooked up two tv's. I think when we first signed up all 3 boxes would be free, but I'm under the impression that they've now changed it so the third box costs $5 a month extra or something.

They have a really good line up with the basic package...only channel we don't get that we used to with Rogers that I enjoyed, is MTV [I'm a fan of The Hills, what can I say].

I found the installation process extremely annoying, though. Partially because it took so long, but also because they had to run SO many cables from room to room. The spare room [where the second tv was hooked up] is FULL of cables...not sure if that's simply how they had to do things or if the guys were inexperienced & did it the long way. At the time there were two guys installing it & they flat our admitted it was very new to them & they didn't exactly know what they were doing. I'm sure by now the installation process would probably go much more smoothly.

One thing that very much annoys me, is the picture quality. Major downgrade from Rogers. & sadly we got an HD TV AFTER getting Aliant TV & Aliant doesn't have HD service :/

Another thing...we found out we were expecting a few weeks after the cable was installed. When we set up the spare room as a nursery a few months ago we decided we no longer wanted the tv hooked up in there. Problem is, when they came to install everything the spare room was also our home office. So everything is in there...the modem, the tv connection etc. The way Aliant TV works is that they set up a main base of sorts, the room where your modem is...& they have to connect all the additional tv's to that...so they run the cables from that room through to the other rooms. Well, I called asking how to unhook the cables & move the modem to the living room/another room because it's becoming a nursery & they said we'd either have to do it completely ourselves [with no help over the phone & let me tell you, that'd be impossible...] or we'd have to pay $60 to have someone come out & reconfigure everything. So we're stuck having to keep our modem & all the cable stuff in the nursery, which sucks.

I'd say if you are trying to save cash & aren't anal about picture quality, go with Aliant. But make sure you're fine with what rooms you choose to have the hook-ups in as the cables can be a bit of an eyesore & are not easy to move. If you're not looking to save cash, want good picture quality or HDTV & easy install...go with Rogers.

That's my 2 cents :)

dan j
08-02-2008, 09:48 PM
HD and PVR is coming in the fall with Aliant TV.

Nita
08-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Hmmm...we were told HD wasn't coming until 2009.

kaj27
08-03-2008, 01:49 PM
HD and PVR is coming in the fall with Aliant TV.

Rogers is releasing Dual Tuner PVRs this month. Record and watch another channel.

Sheila_1980
08-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I must be getting ripped off too then! :rolleyes:

KRS
08-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Dual Tuner PVRs wooot

kaj27
08-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I must be getting ripped off too then! :rolleyes:

Guess you are...

Here is my last bill.

It's a bit more than $125 last month. I used the internet on my phone and boy did it cost me! It was like an extra $15. Oops!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/MoparBoys/Rogers.jpg

:p

inuit
08-07-2008, 03:17 PM
wow

Sheila_1980
08-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Make sure you don't make any calls from the states on your cell either then! :rofl: I made that horrible mistake!

I used the internet on my phone and boy did it cost me! It was like an extra $15. Oops!

kaj27
08-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Make sure you don't make any calls from the states on your cell either then! :rofl: I made that horrible mistake!

Actually I was down in the US for some family reasons and I used my phone non-stop.

It's actually cheaper for me to make a call while in the US than to call from being in Fredericton.

Sheila_1980
08-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Really!? I got nailed big time with roaming charges and long distance. Which company are you with? I'm with Bell for now but going to switch as soon as my contract is up! lol

It's actually cheaper for me to make a call while in the US than to call from being in Fredericton.

bradorna
08-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Kaj27.... my monthly bill is very near the same as yours and I am very happy with rogers. It has just went up 9.99 because they offered me all PPV movie channels plus 200 ROD movies for the next 6 months. It is actually saving me money because I now don't have to pay to rent the next 200 movies. I probably won't keep it but it is good for summer when there are not much except reruns, therefore i watch alot of movies.

bradorna
08-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Forgot to mention also I love all the free gifts they are always giving me, the last one being $30 in gas gift cards. I was shocked I got them but nonetheless extremely happy........$30 of free gas.......gotta love it

Damage82
08-08-2008, 09:19 AM
right now if you order online with Rogers, you get a $30 credit per service you order, I ordered phone and internet, $60. I called to get the Digital VIP cause the promotion for $42.99 (reg $61.99) was not on the web.

momof2sweethearts
08-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Wow, this is one confusing thread!! I think the best thing for anyone when deciding what company to go with is look around for your best deal at the time. I had the VIP package with Rogers and it was around $150 a month that was with home phone with 2 free extras, digital cable and high speed internet. I will agree though, their customer service is really sucky. I got a call one time from them that they had a deal that you get 2 months free cable and they charged me for the 2 months, when I called (it takes forever to get someone on the phone, first of all,) but was told that because I wasn't a new customer it wasn't free for me, but I wasn't the one who called them, they called me!! I never had any problems with Aliant though I only had their phone service. The problem with Aliant is their high speed wasn't offered in all areas. I have no experience with any other company but I would look around for the best deals I could get.

jdcb
08-19-2008, 02:23 PM
when I heard that I was getting Aliant TV in my area, I was on the phone with them before I took my shoes off. I was paying $80 with Rogers, only $30 with Aliant and was getting better channels. Unfortunately Aliant TV wasn't avail where I bought my house :(

Freudian
08-22-2008, 09:55 PM
You're better informed than me! LOL!

Rogers is releasing Dual Tuner PVRs this month. Record and watch another channel.

kaj27
08-23-2008, 06:29 AM
You're better informed than me! LOL!

Terrible eh? But I got a man on the inside.

Although this month is growing short and there are no signs of the new boxes and on screen guide.