PDA

View Full Version : Another Cedar Shrub thread

oasis
07-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Can you use clippings from a Cedar shrub to start a new plant? I want to create a hedge around my property, but it would cost me a fortune to buy new plants. I have a hedge on one side of the property I can use as a starter, but I need advice on how to prune it and the proper way to plant the clippings to get them growing. If thats even possible.

CM
07-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Propagation:
Cedar cones can easily be collected from the trees, since some the branches often droop down within reach. Collect the cones in late September and October, before they turn brown and release the seeds. Treat the cones the same as for red spruce. Seedlings should be given partial shade and not be allowed to dry out. Cedar can also be grown from cuttings. Six inch cuttings should be made in mid-summer or mid-winter and treated with rooting hormone. The rooted cuttings should be raised in a nursery bed for a year or two and given light shading and mulch.

nanny
07-13-2008, 07:37 PM
I got all my cedar in the woods. Cost $0.00 It made a beautiful hedge.

oasis
07-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Thanks for all the PM's. I started planting this weekend. I figure I'll need in excess of 100 plants to do what I want. It will take a few years, But years I've got!