PDA

View Full Version : maternity leave info

mattpage84
07-09-2008, 06:45 PM
i know this has probably been asked before, but i didnt need any info then so i didnt really pay attention. basically in a nutshell my wife is pregnant, an at her job there is a lot of heavier lifting involved. i found on the new brunswick labor laws website something that says if her job cant provide her with a position that will remove an strain or possible health complications from her or the baby that she can go on maternity leave immediatly( can be seen here http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/lp/spila/wlb/wppp/02leave_benefits.shtml )

"In the federal and Quebec jurisdictions, a pregnant woman or nursing mother may ask her employer to temporarily modify her duties or to assign her to another position, if continuation of her present duties puts her health or that of her unborn child or nursing infant at risk. This request must, however, be accompanied by a certificate from a qualified physician. If it is impossible to reassign the employee or to modify her duties, she may take leave immediately."

she has already talked with her manager and assitant manager an was basically told to pound sand when it came to not doing heavy lifting an such. so bascially she will be going out pretty soon, we have a doc's apt tomorrow, but i was just wondering if anyone knew what info was needed for her to go on maternity leave? for our first child she just straight quit so ive never had to know this before. any help would be appreciated

MichelleM
07-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I could be wrong but I thought you could only get maternity leave a month before your due date? could her dr. not put her out?in which case I think that you can get ei sick for about 15 or 16(not sure the exact) prior to the mat leave?

mattpage84
07-09-2008, 06:52 PM
thats what i thought as well, but after reading the website i linked to it states it become effect immediatly if an accomadation cant be reached, an where she had such a rough pregnancy the entire time for our first child i dont want to push it on the second child

MichelleM
07-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I would try to see if the dr would give her a medical note. Especially if there is heavy lifting that could cause harm. That way she wouldn't have to use up her mat leave either.

mattpage84
07-09-2008, 07:02 PM
well were not too worried bout the maternity payment as of right now, an to be honest she may not even go back after its done cause she doesnt particulalry like the job, we go see our doc tomorrow an im bringing in the papers i printed from the nb labor website as well, i kow he'll give her a note i was just wondering about the other aspects of it, who do we need to see about the leave an what info we need and such

FutureChief88
07-10-2008, 08:56 AM
well if u r not worried about the payment.. then she can leave work when she wants.. as long as she has enough hours to claim mat leave 13weeks before her due date.

In nb, u can go on Mat leave as early as 13 weeks before your due date. And, if the heavy lifting is a health concern for her or the baby, the doc WILL put her out on sick leave. If her work does not have sick benefits, then she will have to apply with ei for sick benefits, and the day the baby is born is when mat leave will kick in.

You have 52 weeks paid mat leave with ei. But as long as u have the hours, u can leave work whenever u want. Just cant get Mat benefits till 13 weeks before.

All u will need is a doctors note saying she is at a high health risk, and cannot work in this field any longer.

mattpage84
07-10-2008, 09:11 PM
well i went to the doc's today an was basically told that heavy lifting is not considered a health risk no matter how bad previous pregnancies were, an that the idea that heavy lifting is a myth an causes no concerns for health

livkat
07-10-2008, 09:31 PM
I did a bit of research, and there is no risk of injury to baby with heavy lifting, but moms a different story. Pregnancy hormones cause ligaments to soften which in turn causes your joints to be less stable, making pregnant women more prone to injury.
Every Doc is different. I worked in a daycare, and with both of my pregnancy's I was put out beacause of lifting and cleaning duties, such as mopping ( the side to side motion makes it easy to pull an abdominal muscle.) I guess just be careful and lift with your kness. If you feel working is to much stress on your body because of the lifting, then talk to your doc again.:)

mattpage84
07-11-2008, 12:22 AM
any possibility of finding the page you found that and linking it here? an for the most part my doc is very good, i believe his main concern is where her first pregnancy was extremely horrible because she didnt get enough excercise he wants to try an keep her moving, but i do want to have a backup just incase it gets to be to much for her

livkat
07-11-2008, 06:45 AM
www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5109,00.html (http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5109,00.html) is one of the site I checked out. I just googled heavy lifting while pregnant. Good luck:)

sugadip
07-11-2008, 09:23 AM
If she leaves early without a dr's note and goes on EI, the hours will be taken away from her maternity/paternity leave.

FutureChief88
07-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Well heavu lifting is NO health risk to the baby whatsoever. I just gave birth to my daughter 2 weeks ago and i was a very high risk pregnancy.i worked right until a month and a half ago. And i was seeing a perinatologist.

They basically make you work until you hurt yourself. If you DO hurt yourself.. then they will put you out. But doctors dont just put you out on the possibility of being hurt. Most miscarriages are caused by soem underlying factor.. so doctors wont put you out as a prevention of miscarriages (in most cases). I have had 3 miscarriages.. and they never even considered putting me out. if her blood pressure and unrine tests are fine.. shell have to work till she qualifys for ei.. but like i said earlier.. if she has enough hours for ei.. she cant go out on leave now. itll just be unpaid until 13 weeks before the due date.

Nita
07-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Heavy lifting def. IS a risk to the baby / a pregnant woman...at least in every bit of literature / book I've read. & in the least, lifting heavy things while pregnant could do other damage, whereas the pain will be amplified by being pregnant....I actually have a pulled stomach muscle right now [am due in 28 days] & let me tell you, it's extremely painful. & there is very little I can do about it...

So yeah, heavy lifting is a no-no.

sanstu
07-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Not properly lifting a heavy item can cause problems whether you are pregnant or not. There is a huge difference in what constituates a high risk pregnancy and everyday activities that cause discomfort.

FutureChief88
07-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Heavy lifting def. IS a risk to the baby / a pregnant woman...at least in every bit of literature / book I've read. & in the least, lifting heavy things while pregnant could do other damage, whereas the pain will be amplified by being pregnant....I actually have a pulled stomach muscle right now [am due in 28 days] & let me tell you, it's extremely painful. & there is very little I can do about it...

So yeah, heavy lifting is a no-no.

Sure, heavy lifting can pose other health issues..Ie: pulled muscles, but a pulled muscle is no risk to a baby. As i said i JUST went through this..i just had a baby 2 and a half weeks ago.. was very high risk and in a workplace where heavy lifting was part of everyday life. I was being seen by a perinatologist and he saw no need to put me out. I was in extreme pain every day.. with a misaligned pelvis and extreme pain in my hips. it hurt for me to lift a leg..

But i was overall healthy, aside from the pain..and the baby was doing fine. i had no protein in my urine and my blood pressure was fine.. so therefore there was no need to put me out.

the chances of causing damage to your budy when you are pregnant are certainly much higher than when your not pregnant.. but hecause you work in an environment where heavy lifting is present doesnt mean you must be put out of work immediately.. or even at all.

i did it.. and i had a very healthy baby girl..

livkat
07-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Heavy lifting is not a no no, it just needs to be done properly.( bending at the knees, not at the waist. ) The baby is well protected inside, so harm to the baby while doing heavy lifting is pretty slim. It's mom thats at risk of pulled or strained muscles.

Nita
07-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Sure, heavy lifting can pose other health issues..Ie: pulled muscles, but a pulled muscle is no risk to a baby. As i said i JUST went through this..i just had a baby 2 and a half weeks ago.. was very high risk and in a workplace where heavy lifting was part of everyday life. I was being seen by a perinatologist and he saw no need to put me out. I was in extreme pain every day.. with a misaligned pelvis and extreme pain in my hips. it hurt for me to lift a leg..

But i was overall healthy, aside from the pain..and the baby was doing fine. i had no protein in my urine and my blood pressure was fine.. so therefore there was no need to put me out.

the chances of causing damage to your budy when you are pregnant are certainly much higher than when your not pregnant.. but hecause you work in an environment where heavy lifting is present doesnt mean you must be put out of work immediately.. or even at all.

i did it.. and i had a very healthy baby girl..

Every situation is different...maybe if you're used to heavy lifting it poses no threat. You said you've JUST been through this, but again...each person is different. I'm JUST going through this as well, considering I'm 9 months pregnant...but I don't work at a job where lifting is required. However, my doctor told me NOT to lift heavy things & this was BEFORE my pulled stomach muscle. Heavy lifting [which I doubt is SUPER easy to do properly with a big belly] can cause back problems, which can cause issues during labour...there's a lot more to factor in than whether or not the baby will be injured in the moment.

FutureChief88
07-19-2008, 06:07 PM
again.. i am not aguring that heavy lifting isint always great, but u wont b put out of work on the possibility of pulling a muscle..

thats all..

sanstu
07-19-2008, 09:41 PM
again.. i am not aguring that heavy lifting isint always great, but u wont b put out of work on the possibility of pulling a muscle..

thats all..

Gets frustrating huh FC?

FutureChief88
07-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Gets frustrating huh FC?

Ugh.. Yes! :mad:

I was going to elaborate.. but i figured.. whats the point.. its all going to come to the same conclusion anyway..

melmckim
08-15-2008, 07:50 PM
I went on mat leave early,,,,,which was classified as sick leave because i was unable to perform my job duties..due to standing on my feet alot and lifting. Lifting does affect your pregnancy. You can get up to 15 weeks for sick leave.

sanstu
08-15-2008, 09:22 PM
If your Dr. put you out early he/she felt it was necessary. Some will put their patients out 15weeks early because it is a benefit available. Lots of women work up to their due date and yes some even have jobs that require lifting and standing. To each their own.