PDA

View Full Version : Need help with feeding baby. lol

missday
06-30-2008, 01:40 AM
Ok here's my issue. I'm a first time mom and my daughter is 6 months old she has been on rice cereal for two weeks And today I gave her a tablespoon of pea's. What I have been doing is giving her cereal twice a day morning then at night. now that I have started her on baby food I am wondering how far in between feeding do you move them up to. right now I have been still feeding her every 4 hours and sometimes she eats all her 8 oz of formula and sometimes she doesn't. I think i heard that you let them go every 5 hours but I'm not sure. also I was wondering how much formuls you feed your baby when you give them cereal and baby food. I know all baby's vary but i'm just looking for some suggestions from other moms out there because I just got the formula feeding down and now it's all new again with cereal and baby food lol so please I would love to get some info on this

livkat
06-30-2008, 08:44 AM
I have 2 daughters, my youngest is just a year, so feeding is still very fresh in my mind. When I started my little one on cereal, I gave it to her at lunch, then I would giver her a 4 oz bottle. Usually whenever I give her any food the bottle to follow would be 4 oz. Feeding your little one every 4 hours is reasonable, I did it with mine. As you increase the food you may eliminate the after dinner bottle, replace it with a sippy cup at the meal, and then before afternoon nap give a bottle to the little one. If you are introducing veggies now, then is your little one having cereal in the morning? When my little one was about the age of yours, her day would start with a 6oz bottle and some cereal, then a 4 oz bottle mid morning. Lunch would be veggies and her sippie cup with water. A mid afternoon bottle 6 -8 oz depending on her mood. Supper would be either some cereal or just formula. By about 7- 8 months 3 meals a day, with fruit for dessert after veggies. At this age she would get 4 - 5 bottles through out the day also. At about 8 months I introduced toast and other soft gummable things. This helps eliminate the mid morning and afternoon bottles and replacing them with food and sippy cup. I hope some of this will help you out. Let me now if I can be of any more help:)
PS Isn't it priceless, the expressions on there little face when you give them a new food for the first time!

newmommy
07-01-2008, 12:24 PM
i have 2 boys and my yougest is 5 months! and my oldest is 18 months, i know im crazy lol! but with my first one i started feeding him cearl for about 1 month then i started him on food. what i did was feed him a bottle and some cearl in the moring for breakfast. then 4 hours later a bottle and some food that would normally be about lunch time! then 4 hours later i would feed him another bottle for supper some food. and then another bottle 4 hours later that some cearl! he was eating a 4 oz bottle the whole time at still being hungery! the weird thing is health canada sayes not to feed your baby solids untill they are 6 months!!! but with my oldest son they said 4 months!!! And your supposed to feed them meat first not vegies , thats what they are saying now! i dont listen to anything they say. he/she is your baby you'll know when to start feed him/her food!!hopes this helps.

Cartersmom
07-01-2008, 11:42 PM
I just researched this last night..LOL
My ds is 4.5 months and I had been planning on starting cereal at 5 months like his brother..but now Health Canada and many other organisations are all saying 6m now, NOT 4-6m..apparently sometime between 4-6m (depending on the baby) the cells in the small intestine become fused together instead of being able to let large particles through. If you feed them foods before this area is fused, the baby runs a much greater risk of food allergy. They say now to wait until 6m because you can't tell by looking if your baby is the one who's intestines have already matured or not.

Now I have to wait and poor ds is already seriously Jonesin' for food, he is so excited watching us eat and licking his chops. LOL

So weird too about the recommendation of meat before veg and fruit. I was so surprised to read that...

Sorry to OP I can't be much help as with bfing I have no idea how much they take after the cereal..but I would offer until they were satisfied.

missday
07-02-2008, 02:14 AM
Ok I found this strange I took My daughter who is 6 months to her dr appointment yesterday and I asked her about feeding her baby food and she told me not to feed her baby food at all she said all that baby food is is empty calories This is coming from a dr who told me not to drink any liquids while I was prego if you belive that lol. she told me to keep her on formula and cereal so I asked her when to start giving her baby food and she told me not too at all. She said to start giving her real food at 12 months!! This is the first I have ever heard of not giving your baby baby food. I thought I was confused before lol. there is no reason I feel that she shouldn't be getting baby food she is completely healthy she weighs 16lbs 15 oz. she not over weight or under.

livkat
07-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Ok I found this strange I took My daughter who is 6 months to her dr appointment yesterday and I asked her about feeding her baby food and she told me not to feed her baby food at all she said all that baby food is is empty calories This is coming from a dr who told me not to drink any liquids while I was prego if you belive that lol. she told me to keep her on formula and cereal so I asked her when to start giving her baby food and she told me not too at all. She said to start giving her real food at 12 months!! This is the first I have ever heard of not giving your baby baby food. I thought I was confused before lol. there is no reason I feel that she shouldn't be getting baby food she is completely healthy she weighs 16lbs 15 oz. she not over weight or under.
Its' true babies can go until there 2 with just formula, but how would us mother's be able to accomplish anything? We would always be feeding to keep the baby full. I have never heard anyone say babyfood is empty calories, don't feed it to your child. Also as far as I'm concerned, cereal is baby food. If your little one is healthy, keep feeding her babyfood, your Doc is there to offer an opinion on somethings, doen't mean you have to listen. Only you know whats best for your child!! :)

Cartersmom
07-02-2008, 09:28 AM
I never heard that before, and I know cereal is a good idea so baby can get enough iron ..don't take everything your doc says as "gospel"
Use your judgement..my doc told me to give my ds MORE sugar ..and that his milk intolerance was all in my head..ugh! They are just people , too!

donteatrawpotatoes
07-02-2008, 09:54 AM
My doctor told me to lose weight while pregnant, and not to drink ANY fluids other than milk, and drink that sparingly. Because I was fat.

I didn't give my baby veggies until he was around one. We did give him cereals with mangoes and other fruits in them for flavor :D He's super healthy, been walking since he was around 7 months, and able to climb darn near everything since he was around 10 months. (not as fun as it sounds LOL!) So I don't think holding these things from your baby will hurt, but really every baby is different.

livkat
07-02-2008, 11:30 AM
I never heard that before, and I know cereal is a good idea so baby can get enough iron ..don't take everything your doc says as "gospel"
Use your judgement..my doc told me to give my ds MORE sugar ..and that his milk intolerance was all in my head..ugh! They are just people , too!
formula has plenty of Iron, andto much Iron can cause bowel problems.

Cartersmom
07-02-2008, 01:19 PM
It is recommended to start cereal around 6m when breast feeding due to the iron in the cereal.

Some babies are formula fed and wolf down plenty of cereal so I don't think it's that toxic or we would see far more iron poisoning in the infant population .

missday
07-03-2008, 01:30 AM
My doctor told me to lose weight while pregnant, and not to drink ANY fluids other than milk, and drink that sparingly. Because I was fat.

I didn't give my baby veggies until he was around one. We did give him cereals with mangoes and other fruits in them for flavor :D He's super healthy, been walking since he was around 7 months, and able to climb darn near everything since he was around 10 months. (not as fun as it sounds LOL!) So I don't think holding these things from your baby will hurt, but really every baby is different.

Does Your doctor happen to be on waterloo st lol if so I know what your talking about I was told the same thing while prego I didn't listen because I was prego in the summer and worked out side so I need fluids.

missday
07-03-2008, 01:33 AM
So I decided to just give her cereal for a few more weeks then i'll restart the baby food. she loves eating off a spoon more than she likes her bottle lol. Thanks for all the great advice if anyone has more to share let me know always open to new ideas

donteatrawpotatoes
07-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Does Your doctor happen to be on waterloo st lol if so I know what your talking about I was told the same thing while prego I didn't listen because I was prego in the summer and worked out side so I need fluids.
lol yeah.

Both my pregnancies were fantastic though, and I didn't much listen to her either. I certainly wasn't going to lose weight while I was pregnant. I understand that she doesn't want people to be obese, but risking a babies life isn't worth it for me to lose the weight at that time.

I started my son on peas, and he LOVES vegetables. My daughter we started on blue berries, and other sweet things, and she doesn't like many veggies. (which is odd, because we don't eat much else) I don't know if it's a contribution to an old wive's tale, but oddly enough it seems their first foods influence what they enjoy? Or my babies are just weird opposites.

newmommy
07-03-2008, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=missday;255456]Does Your doctor happen to be on waterloo st lol if so I know what your talking about I was told the same thing while prego I didn't listen because I was prego in the summer and worked out side so I need fluids.[/QUOTE

I Know what doctoryour talking about.. i had her when i was little and i switched doctors because when i was 8 i had a yest infection and she told my mom it was nothing, it was from wiping to hard! so a couple of weeks later it got so bad i couldnt pee, it hurt so bad! my mom rushed me up to the hospital and i spend 3 weeks inthe hospital. my mom was gonna sue her , but she didnt! any other doctor will tell you to drink plently of fluids! thats weird!!!

donteatrawpotatoes
07-03-2008, 11:09 AM
[quote=missday;255456]Does Your doctor happen to be on waterloo st lol if so I know what your talking about I was told the same thing while prego I didn't listen because I was prego in the summer and worked out side so I need fluids.[/QUOTE

I Know what doctoryour talking about.. i had her when i was little and i switched doctors because when i was 8 i had a yest infection and she told my mom it was nothing, it was from wiping to hard! so a couple of weeks later it got so bad i couldnt pee, it hurt so bad! my mom rushed me up to the hospital and i spend 3 weeks inthe hospital. my mom was gonna sue her , but she didnt! any other doctor will tell you to drink plently of fluids! thats weird!!!

If you can find a lawyer who is willing to sue a doctor in Saint John without a ridiculous down payment, you let me know.

Nita
07-03-2008, 01:09 PM
I also know which doctor you're all talking about. I keep hearing the exact same horror stories about her :/

I go to the St. Joe's prenatal clinic & she is one of the "volunteer" docs. I didn't have her once during the 8+ months I'd been going, until my last appointment...& she was still just as rude as ever. Worst bedside manner. She didn't sit down to talk to me, simply leaned on the "soiled linens" basket & flipped through my chart. Any question I asked her she seemed oblivious to what I was asking about...& she def. had to comment on my weight. In fact, it was the first thing she mentioned after saying hello.

If she is on call when I go into labour, I refuse to have her deliver my baby. Two friends had her & their stories are absolutely insane. She actually was pushing the baby BACK IN, in one incident. I have NO clue how she is still practicing :/

She has an overall Poor rating on ratemds.com & some of the stories on there are sad.

livkat
07-03-2008, 02:31 PM
lol yeah.

Both my pregnancies were fantastic though, and I didn't much listen to her either. I certainly wasn't going to lose weight while I was pregnant. I understand that she doesn't want people to be obese, but risking a babies life isn't worth it for me to lose the weight at that time.

I started my son on peas, and he LOVES vegetables. My daughter we started on blue berries, and other sweet things, and she doesn't like many veggies. (which is odd, because we don't eat much else) I don't know if it's a contribution to an old wive's tale, but oddly enough it seems their first foods influence what they enjoy? Or my babies are just weird opposites.
Of course first foods influence their tastes. That is why it is suggested after cereal, to start veggies and meat, then fruit. Fruit is sweeter so of course your little one will naturally choose it over veggies or meat.
P.S Peas are a part of the nut family and they were my last choice of veggie to try with my girls.:)

bigbadb
07-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I also know which doctor you're all talking about. I keep hearing the exact same horror stories about her :/

I go to the St. Joe's prenatal clinic & she is one of the "volunteer" docs. I didn't have her once during the 8+ months I'd been going, until my last appointment...& she was still just as rude as ever. Worst bedside manner. She didn't sit down to talk to me, simply leaned on the "soiled linens" basket & flipped through my chart. Any question I asked her she seemed oblivious to what I was asking about...& she def. had to comment on my weight. In fact, it was the first thing she mentioned after saying hello.

Oh my goodness..I had the EXACT same experience at my last appt at Saint Jo's a couple of weeks ago!!! I thought there was something in my file that she was keeping from me!!! And she was quite rude about my weight too, I'm at 6 months and have gained 20 pounds...I don't think that's so unreasonable!!! So glad to hear I'm not the only one who experienced this and that it wasn't just me!!!! Is there somewhere we can make a complaint?

But back to the original question, I got a referral for the dietition who does the prenatal nutrition classes at the Regional and when I went to see her, she told me that she does sessions for moms & newborns about introducing food to them. It sounded very interesting. If you want the contact information, send me a pm and I'll give it to you!

Nita
07-03-2008, 04:52 PM
bigbadb: I had her two Tuesday's ago, which isn't her normal day...I was so annoyed. She wasn't rude about my weight...I'm due in 4-5 weeks & have gained 20lbs as of yesterday, but I started off overweight, so she was making a comment about how it's good I'd only gained 17lbs at that point. Which sure, yes it is...but was it seriously the FIRST thing she needed to mention?

I was asking her questions about my last ultrasound, because the tech. wouldn't give me any info because she said it had to be reviewed first. So of course, I was asking the doctor to update me & give me the info...but she seemed so confused & had to look at the file for a few minutes to even understand that I'd had an ultrasound. Then she simply said everything was normal, babies size, fluid etc. Well...although everything IS indeed fine, I found out at my appointment yesterday that baby is a bit on the big side [in the 70th percentile] & they expect it to be between 8 1/2 to 9lbs if I go to term. She obviously just wants to get in & get out of the room.

I don't know about a complaint locally, but go to ratemds.com

bigbadb
07-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Nita: Hahaha we pretty much had the same appointment with her!! I also asked about my ultrasound and she didn't seem too confident in telling me everything was normal. I can't wait until my next appointment (hopefully it's with one of the other doctors who I have more confidence in!)