PDA

View Full Version : warning

dittydottie
01-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi just thought I would give Mom's to Be a warning about brining your baby home from the hospital. My daughter had a baby 10 days ago and when she was released from the hospital she had packed a bunting bag with the slits in it to bring her son home. The hospital would not allow her to put it on him.They tell you no bags can be used,put on a sweater and layers of blankets.She was able to get a coverup for the seat as extra warmth.
So heads up if you have a baby during these cold monthes.
I wonder what would happen if a parent refused to do as they said?

Corinne
01-30-2007, 05:22 PM
It is for safety reasons in car seats. Car seats are only effective if the child is strapped in properly, the straps have to be nice and snug against your child. When there is too much clothing bunched up under the straps then they are not being used properly. I would rather put blankets over my child and put her in a warm car than to know she is not strapped into her seat properly.

Mandi
01-30-2007, 05:31 PM
I had my first when I was 18, and to my surprise, they didn't say a thing to us when we left, I'm quite sure she was wearing a fleece snowsuit, but she had a blanket over her so you'd think they'd look. As a young mother, I would expect them to take care to make sure I knew what I was doing.

babydoll101
01-30-2007, 07:35 PM
I had my first when I was 18, and to my surprise, they didn't say a thing to us when we left, I'm quite sure she was wearing a fleece snowsuit, but she had a blanket over her so you'd think they'd look. As a young mother, I would expect them to take care to make sure I knew what I was doing.

I agree I had my first when I was 21. I have just had my last one last year and wow have things changed!!! The woman from the ward called before she was born and made sure I had everything proper. At least they are caring now.

Mandi
01-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I only had my first 3 years ago. it hasn't been terribly long.

babydoll101
01-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Oh forgot to put I'm 30 now. lol ;)

Luvz_ya
01-30-2007, 09:33 PM
My youngest just turned 3 and everything is different now, they never checked my car seat or anything !! i heard they come down right to the car with you but then i hear they are only doing it mostly to young mothers , but your right atleast they are "caring" now but i bet its not the nurses and its a code they must follow now , because they only do it to Some people

care1978
01-30-2007, 10:27 PM
ten years ago they did go down with you and also check your carseat... well at least they did for me.... but i have a 19 month old now and oddly enough when i left the hospital no one checked the car seat or anything, actually i had to go find a nurse to tell them i was leaving bc they didnt seem overly concerned after i was discharged, i also learned that you are not allowed to use bumper pads in cribs now, next year im sure it will be different again!

dittydottie
01-31-2007, 12:22 AM
I am not saying it is wrong for the hospital to do that,all I am saying it for is to prepare new mom's of having the right stuff to get their baby home safely.It is a great idea that they do check things out I think most people would want to be told what is best for their child.

LiLLY
01-31-2007, 07:12 AM
My daughter is 2 now and i was 17 when i had her , the nurses did not check a thing. Before I left I asked one of them if they could help tighten the straps and it took 3 nurses to figure it out! lol

Mandi
01-31-2007, 07:40 AM
My daughter is 2 now and i was 17 when i had her , the nurses did not check a thing. Before I left I asked one of them if they could help tighten the straps and it took 3 nurses to figure it out! lol

wow. I really think they should be more attentive to young/new mothers. When I was there all the nurses but two were actually rude to me, and one of the ones who wasn't said she was appauled, because I had such a sunny disposition and she couldn't figure out why they were acting that way. You'd think they could step down off their high horses, realize that maybe young mothers can be /good/ mothers too, and try to help them out rather than discourage them. I /want/ nurses to take an interest in my child's safety, I walked right out of my room, after my fiance (who was carrying my child.) without the nurses batting an eyelash. With the amount of time that he spent at the hospital after I had the baby, I would really have expected them to say, 'hey sir, who's baby is that?' because I seriously doubt they recognized him.

Thank you for noting about the bunting bag, I just hope for this child (due in 2 months) they're more attentive than they were last time. I'd really like to know if I'm endangering my child in any way.

jxdburk
01-31-2007, 09:25 PM
I personally think it depends on the nurse who discharges you . My youngest is going to be 1 the end of Feb. and when I left the hospital ,she had a bunting bag on and the nurse never said anything about that but she did check eveything on the car seat,but yet when I was in there I heard people saying you couldn't use any type of snowsuit ,just sweaters and blankets.
Things have certainly changed though,I have 5 kids and went from the nurse carrying the baby out to the car for you ,while you are in a wheelchair(10 years ago),to now you bundle the baby up and walk out just as if you were visiting someone up there.
Wow what will happen in a few more years ???

Corinne
01-31-2007, 09:56 PM
Things have certainly changed though,I have 5 kids and went from the nurse carrying the baby out to the car for you ,while you are in a wheelchair(10 years ago),to now you bundle the baby up and walk out just as if you were visiting someone up there.
Wow what will happen in a few more years ???

In a few more years they will discharge you right after delivery...lol..express line. I had my daughter on Tuesday morning and they were going to let me out Wednesday because they were filling up quickly. I did stay in until Thursday, however I think I would rather be home. At least people wouldn't be waking me up and poking at me everytime I finally fell asleep.

jxdburk
01-31-2007, 10:08 PM
In a few more years they will discharge you right after delivery...lol..express line. I had my daughter on Tuesday morning and they were going to let me out Wednesday because they were filling up quickly. I did stay in until Thursday, however I think I would rather be home. At least people wouldn't be waking me up and poking at me everytime I finally fell asleep.

Yea my doctor told me I could go home the next day as well,but I fiqured with 3 or 4 other kids at home and having a private room at the hospital I would stay there....much more peacefull for me,HAHA !!!

marriedchickie
01-31-2007, 10:19 PM
I had my first daughter 12 years ago (omg almost 12 years ago) and i ended up with a C-section. I ended up staying a week. When it was time to be discharged, my dad brought up the car seat right to the room so the nurses saw what she was leaving in. Also it was the end of June, so she had on a little jumper, and a light blanket.

The only thing i can really complain about was the nurse i had there one night who basically said that single mothers were a drain on their resources. She said that we sat around and let them take care of the children. I called my mom and dad back in tears. They rushed back, and I never saw that nurse again.

But all of the other nurses were great and when they walked me down (they said it was policy) they saw that we had it down pat how to get her in and out of the car.

magoosmomma
02-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I know its different in the NICU..you need the baby strapped in the car seat it self before they leave(also the carseat needs to be approved by them) Things have changed since my oldest was born to when my youngest was discharged from the NICU..
no head reat thingys in the carseat unless they are part of the car seat etc etc etc

Cherry Pop
02-01-2007, 08:24 AM
I had my daughter almost 9 years ago. I was only 20 years old at the time and they never said one word to me when I left. I think it's a good thing to help out all new moms with info, however if they are only checking out young moms, I think that is discrimination!
As for not so nice nurses, when I had my baby all the nurses in that unit were great. However, when I have had surgeries, I always get the mean nurses who you can tell really don't want to be there. Even when I was in Ontario having surgery, I got the nasty nurses! I think that they are just not use to having a young person be so sick and aren't use to taking care of them. That is the only thing I can figure out for them being so nasty to me. I have learned though that if a nurse has said something offence to you or treated you in a really bad way, you can speak to the head nurse and have the offending nurse removed from your care. It's hard enough to be in the hospital whether having a baby or surgery, you shouldn't have to take someone else's abuse especially someone who is being paid to take care of you!

Giggles
02-01-2007, 08:47 AM
I am amazed! Whose responsibility is it? The parent. Period. Not the nurses, not anyone else. You have nine months to prepare for a baby, and it is the parent's responsibility to learn about safety,( the car seat, etc.) There are plenty of ways to educate yourself about infant care, from feeding to crib safety, to proper car seat use and installation. The nurses are responsible for your care in the hospital, not once you leave. Parents need to be responsible for their children, and not assume that others will be!

willowtree
02-01-2007, 08:57 AM
I know its different in the NICU..you need the baby strapped in the car seat it self before they leave(also the carseat needs to be approved by them) Things have changed since my oldest was born to when my youngest was discharged from the NICU..
no head reat thingys in the carseat unless they are part of the car seat etc etc etc

i had my daughter 15 months ago and she was in the NNICU but before she could go they made her do a car seat test where they put her in the car seat and hooked her up to the monitors to check her oxygen level and heartbeat for an hour plus i had to take a cpr and safety class before they would let her go and they did a complete check over right before we left which took forever

Corinne
02-01-2007, 10:48 AM
I am amazed! Whose responsibility is it? The parent. Period. Not the nurses, not anyone else. You have nine months to prepare for a baby, and it is the parent's responsibility to learn about safety,( the car seat, etc.) There are plenty of ways to educate yourself about infant care, from feeding to crib safety, to proper car seat use and installation. The nurses are responsible for your care in the hospital, not once you leave. Parents need to be responsible for their children, and not assume that others will be!

I completely agree that it is the parents responsibility to know what is safe vs not, however there are many people who don't bother to find out what the current safety requirements are. I guess it is kind of the last stop to make sure that the baby is going to be safe in the car. I know some people who do not fasten the belts tightly because it makes it too hard to get the baby in and out of the car seat, so they leave the straps loose for convenience. It doesn't make sense to me, but I have seen people do it.

girdy
02-01-2007, 12:23 PM
I guess it is kind of the last stop to make sure that the baby is going to be safe in the car.

I've always found it odd that the only job for which you don't need to demonstrate a qualification or competence, is having a child. If you wanted to adopt a kid, there are lots of checks, or you can't adopt. If you went to the animal shelter to adopt an animal which might otherwise be destroyed, there are checks. For a couple to get pregnant - nothing. I have no idea what the solution is, just think it's odd.

Many of us of course took the parenting course, but it's not mandatory to take, and there is no test to see if you understood it.

So as near as I tell, the only check that is in the system, is whether you have a child seat and can use it properly. I guess we should be thankful that there is an effort to get the kid out of the parking lot safely!