PDA

View Full Version : Mini Home information

puppyluv
06-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Just wondering about information on mini homes, best size lots, pros and cons...

Deanie
06-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Mini homes are great....especially with the price of houses lately. I owned a Kent one and my in-laws have a Maple Leaf, and personally, I would go with Maple Leaf. Make sure if you buy new to ask for all the appliances to be thrown in, including washer/dryer. When I bought mine, they said that it was no big deal for any company to throw in all 4 appliances. I've heard bad things about T&M homes in Sussex so you may want to steer clear of them.

puppyluv
06-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks. If we sell our house we will be keeping our appliances so that won't really matter. I know the people that own both places on Rothesay Ave...it seems the bigger problem is finding a place that the a decent lot.
Our house is just too big for us...and a mini home sounds so much better...

kaj27
06-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Try the places out in Quispamsis, especially the Killiam Park. Well kept, good rules.

puppyluv
06-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Do they allow dogs? and I do not mean little ones. I know some do not, and if they do not, no sense on me even looking there...

kaj27
06-28-2008, 08:18 PM
From what I saw, yes. I'd give em a call.

Deanie
06-28-2008, 09:19 PM
I lived in Terrace View Park owned by Joe McNamara....they allow dogs and the lots are much better and bigger than down below in Northurps park. Most of the mini homes are on an angle so you're not looking into your neighbors livingroom!!

kaj27
06-29-2008, 01:31 PM
I lived in Terrace View Park owned by Joe McNamara....they allow dogs and the lots are much better and bigger than down below in Northurps park. Most of the mini homes are on an angle so you're not looking into your neighbors livingroom!!

Yes, I lived there too. Lack of proper street cleaning, poor road condition....Our unit was not angled, nor were our neighbours.

Deanie
06-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Not sure what part of the park you lived in but our streets were always clean, and snowplowed and a lot more room than down below by the highway.

puppyluv
07-01-2008, 08:51 PM
There certianly were some nice places there!!!

Cartersmom
07-02-2008, 10:55 PM
cons- they depreciate in value instead of appreciating in value
-if you're in a park you have to pay $$$ pad rental fee and almost zero land
- I heard that they cost a fortune to heat as they are not well insulated, and boiling in summer
- harder to sell
-not as secure

pros-
-affordable

dally
07-03-2008, 02:32 AM
Cartersmom; My mother put her mini home on the market last May, it sold within 2 weeks. It was made in 1979 and sold for close to $29,000. In the winter her power bill was between $160-$180 not many homes heat for that price. As for the summer months no different than a house, I always found it cool and if it got a little warm she turned on a fan. Hers was very well insulated, since it was an older model I'm sure that the newer ones are much better. Just as secure as living in a house. No, there's not as much land but depending where a person lives I've seen some houses in town that don't half as much as some of the parks. My mother had a double lot.

The one in Quispamsis, I don't know what this one's called. It's not the first one you come to but the first one on the left, a friend of mine lives in that one and has a beautiful lot even a fenced in back yard!!

Cartersmom
07-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Well, I have never lived in a mini home myself, but know several people who have (none of them do anymore). I was there in the summer when it was scorching, and I know they said it was a fortune to heat. However, perhaps like homes, some are better made than others.
Good for your mom selling ASAP ..a house, though, built in 1979 might be going for 129,900 instead of 29,900 now.
To each their own.

oasis
07-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I've lived in one mini home or another over the last 30 years. Unless it is one of the old style they are usually not too bad to heat. This past winter my highest bill was only $240 and that was at Christmas. With all the Christmas lights, and baking my wife did, I'm surprised it wasn't higher. My average is usually under $175 winter and less than $90 in the summer

And as for heat, Yes they can get warmer than the average house when it gets hot out. But to combat that I just leave my curtains closed on the side of the house getting the sun ( I have heavy curtains on all my windows). Keep the windows open to allow lots of breeze, and ceiling fans.

Over all the yearly cost of the mini home, is far cheaper than any house. As for parks, I've lived in two. The one in Latimore lake, and the one on Rothesay Ave. I currently have one on it's own piece of land. I preffer this arrangement. I do not pay water or sewage fees to the city. And most important, I'm not paying RENT and a MORTGAGE! In the parks, there is no security. if your land lord wants you out, he does not need a reason. You do not have any protection from the rentals man. Because your only renting the lot, not the home. So it is a different ballgame.

jeeper
07-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Just to clarify ... I have a newer mini-home built in 2003 and my highest power bill was $150 this winter and I have all kinds of electronics sucking up power. My place stays very cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The construction of the newer mini homes are the same or better than those of a actual house. They build the homes inside so they are extremely energy efficient. As far as a park goes i would prefer to have my own land and set my mini home on a basement. I used to think mini homes were horrible, but after walking through a newer one and now living in it for over a year I think they are awesome homes.

redsheila2006
07-08-2008, 09:16 AM
I live in a 1992 Mini home and i Love it.it is really good to heat and very warm in the winter.it is also a real good size 16 by 70 which is bigger inside than a lot of homes we have looked at. It is usually cost about 275 to heat in the winte for heat and lights ,but i like my home very warm. Most people say I Keep it too warm. As for people saying they Depreciate in value. I bought mine in 1995 for 42,000 and we just got it appraised for 69,900 not too shabby. If i wanted to buy a house that was as nice as my minihome inside I would have to pay 175,000 plus, so we decided to stick with our lovely mini Home.

inuit
11-22-2008, 07:26 PM
I have an older mobile home. The biggest bonus is, I own it, free and clear if the economy falls apart tomorrow, I'll have a roof over my head. I have no huge mortgage over my head and I am not house poor. Does not look great, old as the hills but like my old car, I own it. That feels good.