PDA

View Full Version : Dog in heat

la5
01-30-2007, 01:45 PM
How long does a female dog stay in heat ,and also how long does she spot .We have a appointment to get her spaded but till then I was just wondering how much longer she will be spotting ,it has been 10 days now and she is strting to slow down some with the spotting .She is just about wild trying to get out and LOT of stray dogs around on the weekend .Neighbours like to leave dogs out all weekend roaming .

new424
01-30-2007, 03:38 PM
female dogs usually spot (bleed) anywhere from 4-9 days (this is proestrus) and then the discharge should change to a kind of yellowy color (sometimes will still show trace of blood as well) for 4-13 days (This is estrus)

Conception can occur during the estrus stage, but it's always a good idea to confine your female and keep her away from all males for a minimum of 21 days from the time you notice spotting.

If your pooch has been spotting for 10 days then she is now at the point where she is fertile and can concieve, so be extra careful to keep her away from the boys :biggrin:

T4
01-31-2007, 09:07 PM
I've got one that is just coming out of heat!! ARRRGGGHHH. We have 3 dogs the other 2 are spayed and neutered. The hormones have been flying here!! Not that its funny or anything..but she is this little corgi mix about the size of a terrier....my male is 145lbs of rottie/sheperhard mix....him trying to mount her!! haha. But on the serious side of things. She is just coming to the end of her heat cycle and and our vet said we had to wait a month before we could get her fixed, because it will give things a chance to get back to normal. We've been lucky enough that there haven't been too many stray males around though. I will also say this....I am glad that normally I have my pets spayed before they are 6 mths old, because I KNOW I couldn't go through another 2 weeks of a heat cycle!! Thank goodness they are'nt like cats and go every 10-14 days into a heat!! Now THAT would be AWFUL!!