PDA

View Full Version : Smart kid.

donteatrawpotatoes
06-23-2008, 08:32 PM
http://azsustainability.com/2008/06/20/12-year-old-girls-moving-speech-to-the-united-nations-16-years-ago/

I found this perusing one of my usual sites today, made me think a little bit. I try to teach my kids to be giving , grateful, compassionate, but is it ever enough? There's so much more that we can do, is there ever a point where we can feel satisfied with ourselves? I almost hope not. This child's view is just amazing, and if more thought like her the world would no doubt be incredible.

( it's an old video ;) )

If you don't know how to fix it, stop breaking it. It's hard to do, but we as a family try more and more to reduce the waste we produce and recycle what we can. Things like this make me want to be a better person.

beachnut
06-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey.. just wanted to say thanks for posting this!

rhiley_08j
06-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Out of the mouths of babes. If only...

trinity
06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
She is David Suzuki's daughter, so she would have been brought up in a household of free thought and activism, which of course does not denigrate the ability of ANY young person to do this work and express themselves. Here is my question: What have we changed in 16 years since this was presented?

donteatrawpotatoes
06-27-2008, 02:30 PM
She is David Suzuki's daughter, so she would have been brought up in a household of free thought and activism, which of course does not denigrate the ability of ANY young person to do this work and express themselves. Here is my question: What have we changed in 16 years since this was presented?

Not a whole hell of a lot. Over seas, in New Zealand it's normal to recycle, and no one doesn't do it, they'd be shunned. But here, and in the US (biggest green house polluters in the world) Next to nothing is done. The very fact that they deny responsibility or claim that it's only 'possible' that the failing ozone layer could be partially because of pollution is gut wrenching.