PDA

View Full Version : A helping hand

Coston07
06-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Did anyone else recieve and read the "a helping hand" flyer about the UCCB yesterday?

For those who didn't this is what it reads;
"All parents can use a helping hand.
That's why the Conservative Government is supporting all parents with 1200.00 each year for every child under six.
Real Support.
Straight to Parents.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Child care is about more than dollars and cents, but the dollars and cents certainly help! Regardless of whether your children are enrolled in a formal program, informal arrangment with family and friends , or one parent stays at home, the Conservative government understands that raising kids is really expensive. That is why every single month Stephen Harper is delivering $100 per kid under six to parents to help with their child care needs. It is sbout time Canadian had a government that put its faith in parents."

Then it wants you to check a box that say Keep it or Lose it, "Would you rather keep the 1200 per year benifit, or lose it?"

Is this not a large waste of tax payers money. You are suppost to reply and send it back in the mail. It kinda made me angry that they would ask such a stupid question. If you want to make your government look good at least make it worth the postage. Any one else agree?

dittydottie
06-18-2008, 01:41 PM
People not getting it will check off lose it,but people who get it will check off keep it.
Maybe the whole idea behind it is that people not getting it will outnumber those getting it.End up with more negative than positive than they can say they are dropping it because that is what the people want!

Coston07
06-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Good Point

orange
06-18-2008, 02:23 PM
People not getting it will check off lose it,but people who get it will check off keep it.
Maybe the whole idea behind it is that people not getting it will outnumber those getting it.End up with more negative than positive than they can say they are dropping it because that is what the people want!

No, that's definitely not the case... they put the question in favourable terms so that people are more likely to agree to it, even though $100/month doesn't exactly cover much in childcare. It's really just propaganda from Stephen Harper.

This article from last month kind of summarizes their "direct mail" campaign slimeyness:
http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/357002

The Conservatives truly are wasting taxpayer dollars to push their own agenda. It's fine if they paid for it themselves, but they're manipulating the parliamentary mailing process so that taxpayers have to pay for it, instead of the Conservative Party.

The Liberals, NDP, Green Party, etc. don't abuse the system this way, but the Conservatives are using a loophole so they can put the cost on taxpayers. But then again, it's Stephen Harper, so that's not surprising :p I don't like him, but I have to say that he's very smart and cunning (unfortunately, in a comicbook villain kinda way :D).

MichelleM
06-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Its not even really a $100. It is a $100 less the tax as it is added to your income on your tax return.

inuit
06-19-2008, 09:31 AM
I think they would do better using the Liberal idea to help pay for daycare so working parents could afford daycare. 100 dollars per month does not go very far covering daycare cost. That was the original reason to give parents money.

MichelleM
06-19-2008, 10:24 AM
I think they would do better using the Liberal idea to help pay for daycare so working parents could afford daycare. 100 dollars per month does not go very far covering daycare cost. That was the original reason to give parents money.

I think that you are right. I do not agree that people who sit home on welfare should get this. It is just extra money in there pocket. What do they need a sitter for? they are home.

Coston07
06-19-2008, 10:28 AM
I know there is alot I could do with the 1000.00 a month I pay for child care (- the 200 for UCCB ) so 800.00 I guess

FutureChief88
06-19-2008, 11:38 AM
I get this money.. and i said Lose it..
I would rather see this moneyu go toward a program to help ALL parents with childcare costs.. They are outrageous!

MichelleM
06-19-2008, 12:18 PM
I get this money.. and i said Lose it..
I would rather see this moneyu go toward a program to help ALL parents with childcare costs.. They are outrageous!
Confused....

Coston07
06-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Also confused? Anyone with children under six receive this money

MichelleM
06-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Also confused? Anyone with children under six receive this money

I do think that they should change that. If you are on welfare for example and home and do not even leave your home then I don't think that you should get the $100. This is just like giving it to peole to put in there pocket.

Coston07
06-19-2008, 12:39 PM
If someone on income assistance is capable of working then I dont think they should get it either

FutureChief88
06-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Ok sorry.. I should have elaborated. I think it should go to program to help all working parents. I am sorry.. but what does $100 do for anyone? Seriously.. They should help with direct funding, and lowering daycare costs. This $100 TAXED income i receive to help with childcare only "helps" me into another tax bracket.

rhiley_08j
06-20-2008, 08:16 PM
I don't get it. People are constantly complaining that once the government is elected they no longer listen to the people. Now this government appears to try to be taking the issue to the people to let them voice their opinions and people are complaining about that. Apparently they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

FutureChief88
06-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Iam not complaining about it at all.. i like the flyer that was passed out. Although there was a very similiar one passed out when the campaign started.. before harper was elected. The thing that bothers me about this approach.. is that people see or hear MONEY.. and thats it. Like when harper was coming intooffice.. I believe he was voted in because of his HUGE 1% tax decrease. People saw.. saving 1% and JUMPED on it.Like that dollar off of your $100 Purchase is going to make any difference.

I fear people will make the same choices here.. and just choose to keep the taxable $100 that they contribute.

Rhiley, have you seen the flyer? i think people were more or less saying It was kind of flimsy.. The approach that was taken seens a bit odd.. and your not sure if you should send the flyer back or not.

donteatrawpotatoes
06-21-2008, 09:28 AM
I haven't seen the flier. :( Don't people on ia qualify for free child care? I know two people personally who have received completely free child care for their 'job searches'. So in that case, it makes no sense they get this money to me if it is to be spent on child care. for $1200 for two kids a month, the $200 is kind of a joke. not that I think my child care should be paid for, but it's pretty expensive. I'd like to know the Liberal government's approach to this. Does anyone (Inuit, I know you mentioned it :) ) Know of a place to find information?

livkat
06-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I haven't seen the flier. :( Don't people on ia qualify for free child care? I know two people personally who have received completely free child care for their 'job searches'. So in that case, it makes no sense they get this money to me if it is to be spent on child care. for $1200 for two kids a month, the $200 is kind of a joke. not that I think my child care should be paid for, but it's pretty expensive. I'd like to know the Liberal government's approach to this. Does anyone (Inuit, I know you mentioned it :) ) Know of a place to find information?
Not everyone on IA qualifies for childcare. Only "special cases" are granted childcare and transportation to and from the childcare facility. That being said, I agree that if someone is sitting home on IA not making any attempt at finding work, they should not qualify for the $100 a month.

FutureChief88
06-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Not just people on IA qualify for childcare. If you make under a certain amount of money, you qualify for help. It depends on your income.

I used to get help from the government for childcare costs. They decided i made too much money for the benefit i was receiving..and i decided they needs to know WAY too much about my life for the amount they wanted to help with..(not that i dont appreciate what they did help with) but i was gald to be completely on my own.

Sometimes people on IA need childcare because of lack of family or whatnot..how else will they find a job and go to interviews..Take their kids with them? i know they certainly would not be able to afford childcare on their own..as most places dont allow part time children..at part time cost..unless its most of the week..
So thats at least $60 a week.

Also, in alot of cases, Early childhood intervention suggests that a child be around other children to aid in development and such..So IA provides this service.
I think that if people STOPPED worrying about everyone thats on IA out to "scam our taxes".. and just started worrying about their lives and their families.. Things would be alot better.

livkat
06-22-2008, 07:07 AM
Not just people on IA qualify for childcare. If you make under a certain amount of money, you qualify for help. It depends on your income.

I used to get help from the government for childcare costs. They decided i made too much money for the benefit i was receiving..and i decided they needs to know WAY too much about my life for the amount they wanted to help with..(not that i dont appreciate what they did help with) but i was gald to be completely on my own.

Sometimes people on IA need childcare because of lack of family or whatnot..how else will they find a job and go to interviews..Take their kids with them? i know they certainly would not be able to afford childcare on their own..as most places dont allow part time children..at part time cost..unless its most of the week..
So thats at least $60 a week.

Also, in alot of cases, Early childhood intervention suggests that a child be around other children to aid in development and such..So IA provides this service.
I think that if people STOPPED worrying about everyone thats on IA out to "scam our taxes".. and just started worrying about their lives and their families.. Things would be alot better.
Sorry future, I have to disagree with you about the daycare. I was put out of work during my second pregnancy early due to illness. My case worker told me funding for my daughter would be stopped until I returned back to work. Which meant either taking her out and loosing her spot, or coming up with $130 a week. I was quite sick, and even with a Doc' note they wouldn't help out even a bit. Needless to say she is still in Daycare, I couldn't take her away from her friends.:)

dittydottie
06-22-2008, 08:17 AM
ok I have a question--If the $100.00 for each child under 6 and is to help with childcare,what about the 7 year old who still needs childcare in summer and after school?What are you to do--leave them alone because you can't afford their care during this time or pay out the full amount yourself.
I know that when a child starts school than childcare is not as much but have they ever considered the cost of things for school.It does not make sence to me.
I feel that if a parent is working and they have kids who are under 12(I think thats the legal age to be left alone)than the $100.00 should be coming to them.
I also feel that if a parent is not working than they should not be getting the $100.00.

FutureChief88
06-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Sorry future, I have to disagree with you about the daycare. I was put out of work during my second pregnancy early due to illness. My case worker told me funding for my daughter would be stopped until I returned back to work. Which meant either taking her out and loosing her spot, or coming up with $130 a week. I was quite sick, and even with a Doc' note they wouldn't help out even a bit. Needless to say she is still in Daycare, I couldn't take her away from her friends.:)

And i never said that that would not be the case in your situation. Same thing happened to my friend who was put out of work early. Really there is no need for your children to be in daycare if you are home.. when they have already had the constant interaction of other children, i can assume that they have learned the pertintent skills to interact and co-exist. (where she has already been in daycare)

The part i was talking about with Early Childhood Intervention is just that. You have to have an early childhood intervention person coming to your house and evaluating your children. They decide whether or not your kids need the interaction... especially if they have never been around many other kids. And i agree most kids do need it.. what with going to school and all.. but this is why people in IA would have their kids in daycare at times.

I have been on IA.. and no.. its not as easy to get childcare as people may think. i had to struggle.. and when you get a job.. not only do you have to rush for the application.. but also find a place QUICKLY that will take your child. I dont like just rushing into anything.. especially when it comes to my child.

FutureChief88
06-22-2008, 09:44 AM
ok I have a question--If the $100.00 for each child under 6 and is to help with childcare,what about the 7 year old who still needs childcare in summer and after school?What are you to do--leave them alone because you can't afford their care during this time or pay out the full amount yourself.
I know that when a child starts school than childcare is not as much but have they ever considered the cost of things for school.It does not make sence to me.
I feel that if a parent is working and they have kids who are under 12(I think thats the legal age to be left alone)than the $100.00 should be coming to them.
I also feel that if a parent is not working than they should not be getting the $100.00.

Agreed!

And either way.. it should NOT be counted against their income..

inuit
06-22-2008, 09:58 AM
When Martin (Liberal) was in, he proposed childcare subsidy for every working parent who was struggling with daycare expences.I don't remember the exact details because having no small children I didn't pay real close attention. I do remember thinking it was a really good plan and was dissappointed when the pc's cancelled it.
I think you are right though. People who are at home with their children do not need that 100 $ a month for childcare. If you are at home then surely you have enough sense to take your children to a park or playground for social interaction. We, as tax payers should not be expected to pay people who sit at home with small children too lazy to haul their butts off the couch to take their kids out of the house. We should not have to pay for day care for them.
But for working parents I have no problem helping them pay for childcare right up till the age of 12 or 13 depending on the child's maturity level.
Do you know that in Quebec, parents below a certain income level (and it's a fairly high) pay $5 per day per child. The rest is paid for by their gov't. Sucks, don't it.

FutureChief88
06-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Well we only pay $10 per day for after school programs in most cases.

its the younger ones that we have to pay so much for.

I just find that for people working, with children, things are terribly rough. Nowadays both parents have to work in most cases.. and therefore have to pay out of the behind for childcare.. and because of the 2 incomes.. they lose most of their family allowences and subsidys.

inuit
06-22-2008, 12:33 PM
FC does what happens if school is cancelled or school holidays? Do you pay the same or is there a different pay schedule for that? Is the 10 dollars a day for one child or 10 dollars a day for program?

Only 3 more days!!!!

FutureChief88
06-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Well if school is cancelled, yu have topay the full amount.. Which sucks. I was paying $20 a day until she started school.. then it went to $10.. But when school was cancelled i had to pay $20.

I know! my mom is coming tomorrow..
Once i get there itll be home free.. LOL And this day is almost over!
YAY!

newmommy
06-22-2008, 03:57 PM
well i disargee with the people saying that people on IA shouldnt recive the extra 100.00$ a month? my mom was on IA and we went to daycare 2 days a week on monday and firdays after school till about 5-6. so why not have that lil extra bit to put us in daycare all week long? me who is 21 today :D my sister who is 17 and my twin brothers who are 15 , im pretty sure if i had that many kids i would need a couple of days a week by myself too. kids need other kids around thier age to play with , its not fair not to have the lil extra money because your on IA. It buggesme so bad when people who work think they are better and deserve alot more than people on IA.Now, dont get me wrong ALOT of parents i know dont use the extra 100.00 dollars for childcare, or at least on thier kids. they go drink and party with it . which is sad because thats not what it i for , but thats thier life and who are we to judge them?

rhiley_08j
06-22-2008, 04:03 PM
I think that if you have children who are actively enrolled in a daycare program then you should recieve it. If you don't have children enrolled than you shouldn't. If you have children who are enrolled in daycare but are payed for by family services or IA than you should not get it. Your daycare is payed for you, therefore you do not need assistance with daycare costs.

MichelleM
06-22-2008, 04:53 PM
well i disargee with the people saying that people on IA shouldnt recive the extra 100.00$ a month? my mom was on IA and we went to daycare 2 days a week on monday and firdays after school till about 5-6. so why not have that lil extra bit to put us in daycare all week long? me who is 21 today :D my sister who is 17 and my twin brothers who are 15 , im pretty sure if i had that many kids i would need a couple of days a week by myself too. kids need other kids around thier age to play with , its not fair not to have the lil extra money because your on IA. It buggesme so bad when people who work think they are better and deserve alot more than people on IA.Now, dont get me wrong ALOT of parents i know dont use the extra 100.00 dollars for childcare, or at least on thier kids. they go drink and party with it . which is sad because thats not what it i for , but thats thier life and who are we to judge them?
What a joke...so on top of getting to sit home and have the tax payers $$$ pay you to do so as we all go to work you also think that you should be entitled to an extra $100 for childcare so you can have some time to yourself.You have got to be kidding me.

FutureChief88
06-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Ok..lets not turn this into yet another Welfare bashing thread..

rhiley..i agree.. but when i was being "assisted" i still had to pay out of pocket.. quite a bit. The extra $100 still didnt do much.

it would be way too hard and too much work for the government to keep tabs on who is in and out of daycare every month so i doubt that will ever happen.

inuit
06-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Sorry newmommie, I don't agree with your viewpoint. I worked to raise my kids and we were very poor. I think worse off than ia people. I would have given my eye teeth and my right arm to have stayed home and raised them but in 1988 welfare paid 630 per month peroid. Not enough to live on so not working was not an option. Working people don't think they are better than people on ia just feel that when you work it bugs you to think some stay home and feel entitled to everything you work so hard to get. I don't want to ia bash and I know the real need is there I don;t mean to sound mean or hateful.