PDA

View Full Version : for kids---Not!

dittydottie
06-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Why is it that whenever something comes to Saint John and it it meant for kids the prices are so high.
Backyardagans($27.50)
Ruby & Max $27.50 (adult or child)
Circus($22.00 adult $18.00 child)
You cannot send your 4 or 5 year old there alone so you have to go too.
After you get there it cost a lot more(treats,souveniers).
If you have 3 or 4 kids it would add up real quick.
You would need a good $150.00 - $200.00 for an afternoon at the circus.

MichelleM
06-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Regardless of whether they are a child they take up a seat. For Example when we went to the Backyardigans(and it was well worth the money) we had two adults and two children. That would have been two seats that were still taken regardless of how big they are. Just because it is a childrens show they can't only make half the money, it would not even cover there costs.
These shows are a business. They have to pay the people in them, travel costs, production costs etc whether it is adults or children watching them it still costs as much to put them on.

dan j
06-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Backyardagans($27.50)
Trip to the liquor store, free

Life Takes Visa

sarahnb
06-03-2008, 12:29 PM
We pretty much don't go to any of these productions. they are way to costly. Since they are geared to younger children, just don't tell them about them. they won't know what they are missing.

FutureChief88
06-03-2008, 12:46 PM
I agree Ditty.. They are outrageously priced. Now, i understand that these people need to be paid for the production.. But it should be an age ranged price.. And discounted for certain situations. Like you say.. I dont want to go to max and ruby this weekend.. I am 9 months pregnant with a 5 year old.. but i still had to pay 27.50 to go.

The worst part is the length.. and what your getting for the price. Then you feel bad if you choose to pass it up for something more prqctical that the whole family can enjoy, You feel like your kids are missing out on something.

dittydottie
06-03-2008, 01:26 PM
It is hard not to let your kids about it when ,other kids talk about it,if they go to a daycare or school they hear about it.you listen to your radio advertisment there,posters up in stores.So how can you possibly keep it from them?

MichelleM
06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
The prices of these shows are adjusted for the fact that it is a childs show. If you go to a concert it is at least $60 a ticket. If you go to any of these shows it is under $30.....half the price

dan j
06-03-2008, 02:09 PM
You can tell them that it sucks and that they won't enjoy it and that the kids who do want to go are losers and should be made fun of. It'll not only make your kids feel superior to other children but also save you a few bucks and nagging.

donteatrawpotatoes
06-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Backyardagans($27.50)

Life Takes Visa

AWe... i laughed SO hard!

livkat
06-04-2008, 06:32 AM
You can tell them that it sucks and that they won't enjoy it and that the kids who do want to go are losers and should be made fun of. It'll not only make your kids feel superior to other children but also save you a few bucks and nagging.
Shame on you for suggesting we teach our children to call others losers and say they should be made fun of. I work hard to make sure my 2 daughters are respectful and if we cannot attend a show I tell her the truth, that we need to use our money for bills, groceries ect.

Tara
06-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Shame on you for suggesting we teach our children to call others losers and say they should be made fun of. I work hard to make sure my 2 daughters are respectful and if we cannot attend a show I tell her the truth, that we need to use our money for bills, groceries ect.

Uh....It's pretty obvious he wasn't being serious....

Misty589
06-04-2008, 07:43 AM
the price is half, but the shows are less than half the length as well.
I really don't think they need to charge that much for every seat to make their money.
we went to see kids cbc a couple years ago and they charged $5 a seat, they probably didn't make much profit, but i'm sure they weren't in the hole either.

heres2u
06-04-2008, 07:56 AM
The way I look at it is we live in Saint John, where sad to say there isn't a whole lot going on for childrens amusement. Even when there is its hard to rely on weather wise, so when there is something that comes to town that I think my children would be interested in I remember all the money I save by not living near amusements parks etc and splurge a little. I took my child to the Backyardigans but not Max and Ruby. I let them know that we can go to concerts but not all. Just like at Christmas they can have some of the toys at the store, not all.

heres2u
06-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Backyardagans($27.50)

Life Takes Visa

Clever, very clever, in a twisted kind of way LOL

KRS
06-04-2008, 09:14 AM
There's not much entertainment for adults either.

MichelleM
06-04-2008, 09:20 AM
the price is half, but the shows are less than half the length as well.
I really don't think they need to charge that much for every seat to make their money.
we went to see kids cbc a couple years ago and they charged $5 a seat, they probably didn't make much profit, but i'm sure they weren't in the hole either.

They are a business not a non-profit organization. I don't even think the prices are that bad.

beachnut
06-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Well when you have 3 or 4 kids then that is you sacrificing things like this or put up with paying the price for the tickets without complaining about it. It's not the ppl who run the show's problem that you have that many kids. Doing anything with that many kids would get expensive so it shouldn't be any surprise that a show like this would too.

As for the time... you wouldn't want the shows to be the same length as a show an adult or teen would go to. Children have a hard time sitting for long periods of time

Why is it that whenever something comes to Saint John and it it meant for kids the prices are so high.
Backyardagans($27.50)
You cannot send your 4 or 5 year old there alone so you have to go too.
After you get there it cost a lot more(treats,souveniers).
If you have 3 or 4 kids it would add up real quick.
You would need a good $150.00 - $200.00 for an afternoon at the circus.

dan j
06-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Uh....It's pretty obvious he wasn't being serious....

this is correct.

Sheila_1980
06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
We pretty much don't go to any of these productions. they are way to costly. Since they are geared to younger children, just don't tell them about them. they won't know what they are missing.

In that case we'll have to keep them home from school, ban radios, and television. Kids here about all of these thing going on, and of course they want to go to everything.

I agree, these prices are way too high.

MichelleM
06-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Its not like these are here every very often. Its only once every 5or 6 months and they give plenty of notice. Save a few bucks each week...don't smoke, drink, buy tims etc.

FutureChief88
06-04-2008, 05:54 PM
I dont think Ditty was looking for info on how to save for such an event. Just merely conversing about the price of tickets to attend such events.

Also the problem with saving after hearing about a show is that there are SOO many kids in this city that go to these things that you CANT wait.. You must run out almost immediately to get tickets or they are sold out. You cant always bank on a second show.

Granted these people ARE a company.. but i agree with ditty. Its not that i cant afford such things, just that its outrageous to pay so much money for these things.

donteatrawpotatoes
06-04-2008, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't have a problem paying 4x those prices for a concert ticket for myself and boyfriend. I understand where you're coming from, but touring is expensive. I think that it's a pretty reasonable price.

MichelleM
06-04-2008, 06:28 PM
I dont think Ditty was looking for info on how to save for such an event. Just merely conversing about the price of tickets to attend such events.

Also the problem with saving after hearing about a show is that there are SOO many kids in this city that go to these things that you CANT wait.. You must run out almost immediately to get tickets or they are sold out. You cant always bank on a second show.

Granted these people ARE a company.. but i agree with ditty. Its not that i cant afford such things, just that its outrageous to pay so much money for these things.

The announce the shows well in advance of the tickets actually going on sale.
Its not really that high a price. Look at how much a ticket to the movies is and that is just taped, this a live production so it seems to be priced accordingly. Its not there fault if a person has multiple children. Regardless of what you do, if you do it with more children it will cost you.

Triple J
06-07-2008, 03:13 PM
I will cost me$ 112 with a free ticket for 1 child

FutureChief88
06-07-2008, 04:38 PM
No i dont find it a very decent deal at all.we went to max and Ruby today.Sat in HORRIBLE seating at a high school for a 50 minute show. It was dreadful. Also as soon as you walk in the door there are a bunch of stuff for sale. 2 Dolls for $30. you cant walk by the thing without seeing the things lighting up.. or umbrellas.. or t-shirts. i mean, you dont have to buy these things.. but it is ridiculous.

Tara
06-07-2008, 04:41 PM
I took my daughter to the backyardagains and it cost me about 70. That was 2 tickets, 10 bucks for one of those fiber optic wands and then a cab fare home. Oh, and I forgot that stupid wand in the cab lol. I wasn't about to go to Max and Ruby though, no thanks!

bradorna
06-12-2008, 09:46 AM
We unfortunately have to face facts, everything is getting outrageously expensive. It is really a shame that not all of the children can enjoy the same things. I was a single mother and there were things such as hockey that I could never afford for my son to sign up for. He was never to Disneyland like alot of his friends and other such places. But not once did i hear him whine or complain about it as he was growing up, and I like to think it was because I explained it to him and did other things with him at a much lower cost. This could range from a camping trip to going to dairy queen or MacDonalds. Of course this was 23 years ago so children didn't expect money to fall out of the sky quite as much as they do now.
Now comes my two grandsons!!! Don't think it will be as easy!!!!!:eek: