PDA

View Full Version : Angelcare Monitors

jen_161
05-31-2008, 10:15 AM
For those of you who have used the Angelcare Monitor, what is your opinion on them?

FutureChief88
05-31-2008, 10:43 AM
OMG are these the things that monitor sleep apnea? These things scare me.. But i hear they are pretty good.

jen_161
05-31-2008, 10:52 AM
These are baby monitors that monitor sound as well as movement so if the baby stops breathing you know it.

FutureChief88
05-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Yes...for babies with sleep apnea.
A friend of a friend has one. They are touchy i guess, but if they stop breathing, like you say, you know it!

je12122
05-31-2008, 11:38 AM
We still use it for my 17 month old and it was actually recommended that we continue to use it by his Doctor as he has extremely bad sleep apnea. I know for a fact that if we didn't have this there was two occassions where we would have lost him. One when he was about 4 months and the other around 15 months. At first I was hesitant that it might go off all the time for no reason, however this has never happened. Any time it has gone off was either because he stopped breathing or we picked him up and forgot to shut it off lol.

I did find with the sound monitor part that it didn't work that great, so I actually use the motion part of the angel care and use the sound monitor of another brand. I found that there were times i could hear him but it wasn't showing up on the monitor. But the Motion part I highly recommend, hopefully they fix this on newer models for the sound.

sarahnb
05-31-2008, 01:35 PM
For a child with sleep apnea or at risk for SIDS it would be a good idea but for the average healthy baby, I don't see it being necessary.

If you are worried about breathing while sleeping, you might consider sleeping in the same room.
My babies slept in the same room with me. I rarely used a monitor and it was usually for naptime.

From breastfeeding dot com
"In his book on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, pediatrician William Sears cites co-sleeping as a proactive measure parents can take to reduce the risk of this tragedy. McKenna's research shows that babies who sleep with parents spend less time in Level III sleep, a state of deep sleep when the risk of apneas are increased. Further, co-sleeping babies learn to imitate healthy breathing patterns from their bunkmates ."

FutureChief88
05-31-2008, 01:53 PM
I would assume tho that if you are sleeping, you wouldnt notice that your child had stopped breathing.. would you?

This is just a thought. I think these angel monitors are fantastic. God bless you people who have children with sleep apnea.. i would be CRAZY!

MrsBeasley
05-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Loved it.....except for the times I forgot to turn it off......which was quite often.

Mine worked great both sound and motion. Maybe je12122 there were just too many sound interferences in your area. Machines like that are so sensitive. We have a doppler to monitor blood pressure during surgeries at our vet clinic and every once in awhile we can hear faint traces from a radio station or people talking on CB radios or cell phones, usually late at night when sound waves travel easier, during emergency surgeries.

Actually my Angel care picked up a cell phone conversation once now thinking back to when I used it. I still use the sound portion today and my son turns three at the end of June. I like to still use it because I can hear what he's doing when he's SUPPOSED to be sleeping. I can usually manage to get in there before he can totally empty all his drawers!!

CalebsMommy
06-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I LOVE my Angelcare monitor. We only used the motion when he was an infant, just so we would know if he stopped breathing, but if he rolled away from the centre of the crib, it would go off and scare us so we stopped. Still use the sound part and he is almost 15 months old. I love that it doesn't stay on continually like some other monitors I've tried...only comes on if he is moving or making noises. I would totally recommend it.

je12122
06-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Loved it.....except for the times I forgot to turn it off......which was quite often.

Mine worked great both sound and motion. Maybe je12122 there were just too many sound interferences in your area. Machines like that are so sensitive. We have a doppler to monitor blood pressure during surgeries at our vet clinic and every once in awhile we can hear faint traces from a radio station or people talking on CB radios or cell phones, usually late at night when sound waves travel easier, during emergency surgeries.

Actually my Angel care picked up a cell phone conversation once now thinking back to when I used it. I still use the sound portion today and my son turns three at the end of June. I like to still use it because I can hear what he's doing when he's SUPPOSED to be sleeping. I can usually manage to get in there before he can totally empty all his drawers!!

You are probably right, I live in an apt building so I am sure there is a lot of interference.