PDA

View Full Version : Socializing pup with cat

miss_daisie
01-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Hey everyone.
Ive had my dog for almost 2 weeks now. Hes an 8 month old american staffordshire terrier. Hes a great boy and very friendly, but very excitable. Before I got him he was not socialized much at all so doesnt really know how to act with other animals. Ive been working on it with friends dogs and even when we are out and about on our walks people just seem drawn to come pet him and even allow their pets to sniff about. He handels it well... its a owrk in progress. lol. just jumping is the main problem.
But I have a male cat, hes older. He used to live with several cats before but has been alone sence we've gotten him about a year ago. He's lazy and laid back and just doesn't want to be bothered. Puppies haven soem probs with that one:p
First night we kind ahad them seperated to let the puppy whined down to the new apartment and settle in a bit. then we let them see face to face but there was alot of swating and jumping... and the cats got osme sharp up clipped nails so we split them up until his nails where clipped.
We started taking the cat and bringin him out and about when the dog was aorund setting him in his hiding places up higher on our shelves and such where he was outta reach but could watch the pup to get an idea.
They are well sued to eachothers smell now and the cat spends most his time in teh spare room. We leave the door open hes free to rome and the pup pokes in everyonce in a while to torment or just peek. usually there is alot of still watching and when the pupo gets too anxiouse to play he will whine and bounce. The cat hisses a bit and will swat if he gets to close.
So its been almost two weeks. and I think there is progress but Im wondering if anyones got nay tips or helpful hints t ospead along the process.
I feel bad for the cat cuz he just stays about the spare room most of the days and want him to be able to feel comfortable joining the rest of the hosue soon.
Ive never had to socialize a dog and cat before every animal I got was already familiar and it just took a few days.
Does anyone think this is moven along at a desent speed? or is it a lil slow.
Ive had a few people say they may never get along too well because they are both males... Im not sure if its true
anyhow.. Ive made this far too long. lol.
any replys are welcome
thanks!

missday
02-02-2007, 06:42 AM
when my boyfriend moved into my parents house with me it took his cat (a 19 pound spoiled rotten lol fluffy fur ball) and my parents lab what seemed like forever to get along the dog just wanted to play and the cat didn't wan't anything to do with her at all the dog got a few good scars on her nose from the cat but it took what seemed like forever for them to beable to beable to be in the same room together. basically it took the cat to show who was boss then the dog didn't get as excited when the cat was around and kinda backed off. It is a long process lol just make sure that the cat has it's own safe places to go. also what i found funny was that if we snuck up on the cat and dog when they didn't think anyone was around they seemed to be getting along but as soon as they noticed us watching it was hissing and barking lol. good luck

oasis
02-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Provide the cat with a "SAFE PLACE". Prefferably with its food and water close by.

We brought a puppy into our home with our 7 year old do nothing cat. She does NOT play. She sits and stares!! She did not like it at first. We used a child gate to block off one end of the house when we were not at home. That way the cat could get away from puppy.

There were a few tence momments at first. The cat would hide for days in HER bedroom. When they did get together there was some hissing and spitting but it did slow down. A couple of times she did strike out at the puppy. But after a while the dog learned not to tick off the cat!

Now The 50 pound dog moves aside for the 11 pound cat and gives her the respect she diserves. Once in a while the dog thinks it would be fun to PLAY with the cat. She (the cat) will lay her ears backand hiss, and the dog will lay down with her head on her paws and let the cat go by.

Now the cat and the dog will sit together on the ANIMAL couch in front of our living room window and co-exist while they watch the world go by.

The only confrontation now is if the cat gets to close to the dog when she's trying to eat. But once the dog growls the cat will move away.

Will still have a safe area for the cat when not at home. Her stuff is in this room and to dog will not go near it. You will see her go to the door and sit and watch the cat and even wine if she wants her company. But she will not go in.

It take a lot of time. It probably took the better part of a year to acomplish this harmony, but it was worth the effort.

miss_daisie
02-03-2007, 06:59 AM
thanks alot guys:)
I was kinda worried at first baout these too cuz they just clash so much. But i htink they will be fine. there is alot of improvment thus far. Cat still hisses and if the pup gets too close theres a swat or too but hes learning he cant play with him and when the cat stands his groudn the pup knows to back down,
Alot of the time he stands laying on theg round staring from the distance at eachother. He looks kinda sad that he cant play. lol.
We gave the cat several safe spots. He loves on top of the fridge and has a few dressers in our bed room. and when we go out we block off one half of the house for him the dog only stays on tiled floors right now where hes still a pup and we dont want any distruction in our house. lol.
The cat plays in th bathroom alot too he loves our closet and the tub for osme reason. lol
he can safly pass through the room without the dog tearing after him and it makes our lives alot less stressful. lol
thanks again guys!
I may look into a baby gate to split the rooms rather then just closng the door because that would allow them to see eachother and such.