PDA

View Full Version : It's Been Very Cold, What Do You Heat Your Home With??

Goin4Coffee
01-26-2007, 08:16 PM
A lovely Cold Snap we have and Since the recent discussion on the "heating rebate"
I thought it would be fun to see what People actually HEAT their homes with,.. we have so many choices these days--regardless if its included in your Hydro Bill we still have to pay someone:( ---

We Burn Wood as Primary(I'm always cold:o ) and Electric Baseboard much as a backup- when I feel lazy,(unless the power should fail:biggrin: )

What Do you heat with?

Woofer
01-26-2007, 08:20 PM
electric heat, usualy runs us 350$ a month during the winter so this winter we are trying out one of those electric fireplaces. :) heats the rooms better then the electric baseboard heaters we have.

Lemme_LQQK
01-26-2007, 08:26 PM
We burn wood for our source of heat , so that makes our heating bill all paid for the winter when we buy the wood. Wood heat is warmer and lasts longer than oil or electric.

I been looking at those elec fireplaces and can't see where they would be any cheaper to use , they must drive the hydro bill up don't they?

Goin4Coffee
01-26-2007, 08:28 PM
woofer -how does it seem to be working?give good heat? I've seen them, (& giggle, cause I'd try to cram a log in there)- but if you want the look and can't run a stove thats a good alternative and decorative too:)-
p.s ~ still waiting for a pic:)

janegirl
01-26-2007, 08:33 PM
electric heat, usualy runs us 350$ a month during the winter so this winter we are trying out one of those electric fireplaces. :) heats the rooms better then the electric baseboard heaters we have.

We are doing the same electric heat ($300.00/month) and the electric fireplace:) .

CanadianChic
01-26-2007, 08:50 PM
We burn wood, I love the heat!! I also turn on the electric if hubbys not home and i am too lazy to get the fire started. LOL
Wood gives a nice steady heat. Burn baby Burn!!!:biggrin:

Woofer
01-26-2007, 08:57 PM
i found last month running the electric fireplace over 8 hours a day 7 days a week our bill was only 33$ more then the month before.

tred816
01-26-2007, 08:59 PM
We use electric for heat, propane for our stove and hot water and have a woodstove and propane fireplace downstairs (we don't use them, but it's nice to have as a backup).

angeliiiss
01-26-2007, 09:17 PM
We burn wood as primary and have electric as a backup (have not used it in over 4 years tho).We have a mama bear stove that will take a 24" log so it never gets cold in here!!.PS, my house is round..walls are a foot thick so very easy to heat.

Chinna Dah
01-26-2007, 09:33 PM
I rent and my heat is electric hot water baseboard. we also have a oil filled electric heater that we keep central in our apartment that we run constant on cold days like this. My bill in the winter is about 220.00

Cherry Pop
01-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh no not another heating thread!!! I have an apartment - it's electric heat. I wish I had a fire place. I'd sit in front of it forever!!! (well at least during winter)

tessa
01-26-2007, 09:49 PM
My house is heated by oil..I use quite a bit..i keep it set at 20-25 at all times..I just paid $425 on jan 14th..for about half a barrel..And that only last from dec22..I get it topped off every couple weeks..Also my hot water runs off of this as well..

puppyluv
01-27-2007, 06:07 AM
Oil.hot water baseboard....and the oil bill is prolly aorund 200 a month at least:(

user5624
01-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Electric baseboard and my hyro bill is about $250/month in the winter.

Marigold
01-27-2007, 09:19 AM
I rent, and have electric baseboards. My bill last month was 175.00, that's heat and lights. I can never seem to get the place to heat up though! No problem in the bedrooms, but I find my livingroom is always cold, no matter how high I turn the heat up!

s

Misty589
01-27-2007, 10:47 AM
i use oil,and we have an electric fireplace for the upstairs bathroom that is really really cold, we pay 140 a month for oil for 12 months and the fireplace adds about 20 to the electric bill

babydoll101
01-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Wow! I have a mini home. I thought (acutally my husband thought) it was expensive to heat it. We only spend about 180 a month in the winter time for electric heat and hot water.

skallywag
01-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Electric and solar

Cartersmom
01-27-2007, 04:15 PM
hey puppyluv, how much is your energy out of curiousity? YOu know we live in your neighborhood and always thought we were being ripped off.
We pay $181 a month in equalized billing for hot water oil and oil fired hot water heater (soon to go up becasue our yearly reconciliation is January and now I owe another $350)
AND at least $60 a month on electricity..and thats not even including the hot water! Power bill seems a little high to me.

puppyluv
01-27-2007, 04:37 PM
hey puppyluv, how much is your energy out of curiousity? YOu know we live in your neighborhood and always thought we were being ripped off.
We pay $181 a month in equalized billing for hot water oil and oil fired hot water heater (soon to go up becasue our yearly reconciliation is January and now I owe another $350)
AND at least $60 a month on electricity..and thats not even including the hot water! Power bill seems a little high to me.

Hm, I think it is always under 100..usually I think around 80 or 90...but our washer and dryer is running pretty much every night:(

oldnugly
01-27-2007, 08:24 PM
first- i have to get this out of the way.
marigold...it is nice to know you have no trouble heating up your bedroom .

soooo

i heat with wood and only wood. i have had wood heat for 23 years and cant see using anything else. i use a jotul, the one that looks like the statues on easter island. i recently moved the stove into the studio and pipe heat into the house with fans. it works good but a couple of beach logs and its 135 f in the studio. about 15 minutes of painting and its time for a nap.
total bill for a winters worth of heat is around 300 bucks. this year i decided to heat the house with scrub left over from local clear-cut operations. i pick up wood on the way home and so far it has cost me nothing but chain saw gas. so far so good.
skallywag- i have talked to a few people around here that have solar heat/power and giving the angle of the sun in the winter how much do you get out of it? i was told not much but i would like to hear from all who have it. so i can think more about it as an option.

Marigold
01-27-2007, 08:37 PM
first- i have to get this out of the way.
marigold...it is nice to know you have no trouble heating up your bedroom .

Guess I walked right into that one...LOL!

tred816
01-27-2007, 11:29 PM
hehe naughty naughty

Lemme_LQQK
01-28-2007, 02:40 AM
Given the way the sun has been quite strong lately , I would think using solar would be right up there in the economical catagory.

Like OldNUgly we too burn wood only as our source of heat, as for beach wood yessssss awsome heat, but one has to be very careful when burning it , it burns so hot , hot , hot, I guess that's due to the salt in the wood.
And it does give a really nice snap and crackle too...lol

This is a really interesting thread ,I am enjoying the read ,keep it coming.
Has anyone here ever used the "WOOD" stove yet? The one that is outside the house in a building of it's own. If so ,how are they for heating ?

ceg
01-28-2007, 01:47 PM
We burn wood as primary and have electric as a backup (have not used it in over 4 years tho).We have a mama bear stove that will take a 24" log so it never gets cold in here!!.PS, my house is round..walls are a foot thick so very easy to heat. Do you live in the round house out by Kellars hill?

ceg
01-28-2007, 01:57 PM
My apartment uses electric heat. Luckily it's included in my rent. So I only pay lights and hot water, my highest bill so far was $68.

Although at my parents house I grew up with wood heat, with electric as a back up just in case. I think my parents have only used it once though in the 20 years we've lived in the house. They have 30 acres so the only cost to the wood is chainsaw/truck fuel and some time and energy.

angeliiiss
01-28-2007, 02:30 PM
No,I live out past that one.Closer to St. Martins.

*~BuDDy*~
01-28-2007, 08:54 PM
We have a woodstove.....it is SO warm and toasty in here right now although i'm not sure the wood is going to last if this cold snap keeps up.........didn't think it would get THIS cold since the snow was so late. Our bill usually runs about $100/month, even in the winter.