PDA

View Full Version : ARG!

FutureChief88
05-20-2008, 10:11 AM
So i have to rant! I have a major issue with the rentalsmen in this city.. and their lack of help for tenants..

First thing is first. Back in sept i moved out of my apt. when i moved i had a professional cleaning company come in and clean the house. The landlord took me for everything but the kitchen sink..putting in a claim for over $1000!! he charged me to paint 3 walls, a kitchen ceiling, Carpet cleaning for 1 room (which he said cost 171.00), House cleaning (stove, bathroom etc) Repair of door casings.. because of staples? and repair to the front door..which i had NEVER even opened! i was furious! I disputed of course.. and just got a letter from the rentalsmen saying that they are releasing my whole damage deposit to him.. but have granted him an excess amount..and didnt bother with the rest of his claims because the amount currently awarded was in excess of what was held for damage deposit! what they granted him was $653.00 for painting 3 walls and carpet cleaning!!!!!!
WTF~
In my dispute for the carpet cleaning, my arguement was in regards to him using a carpet cleaning company that did NOT guarantee stain removal.. therefore you can pick ANY cleaning company out of the phonebook that doesnt guranatee this .. and as you can see from ads in the phonebook.. they have carpet cleaning for one room any size .. for $30! I included this in my arguement.. the reasoning for the rentalsmen granting him the full $171.00 was because they said, " you can plainly see in the phone book that estimates are provided" Well how in gods name am i supposed to get an estimate from a cleaning company when i dont have access to the area any longer. this is a rediculous reason to grant someone 171.00 for general carpet cleaning. It doesnt even cost that much to have a WHOLE HOUSE cleaned!
So therefore he cant take me to court for the rest!

i am now living in a place.. renting from my father. Below me lives my step-brother who is a 20 year old punk who smokes weed and screams and hollars all day long at his gf. Thankfully she has moved out recently.. but he still freaks out over rediculous things. My 5 year old daughter sits here and listens to him screaming and going on because the walls are paper thin. So anyway, when this guy smokes weed my whole house fills with the smoke.. because of a hole in one of my closets. I have complained to my father on numerous occasions.. and even kept a log of everytime i have had to complain and what it was for. Now i am NOT a complainer about other tenants.. in fact, in my 8 years of renting i dont believe i have ever complained.. and its much harder to complain to your father about your step-brother..so this is not something i enjoy doing. Anyways the problem seemed to be corrected.. then on the first of may i go to pay my rent. My step mother is completely rude to my boyfriend.. which isint all that abnormal .(she is french and often comes off as rude even if she isint being) she slams the door in his face after accepting the rent.. so i called to speak with my father about a leak in the ceiling..when she answers the phone she says hello.. i said hi..then she says WHAT.. i asked her what he problem was she then hangs upon me! i was furious again.
here i am.. renting from my father, i have put over $800 worth of work into this apartment from my OWN pocket, dealing with a weed smoking pot head underneath me and a horribly rude co-landlord! So i was not impressed. Upon confrontation of the situation.. not much was done. My father like to avoid confrontation.. as do most of us.. so he just laughs it off and says " well she is like that with me all the time!!!!" Well I DIDNT choose to marry her .. I am one of her TENANTS! and she has no right to treat me that way. So the days go by..and she is pissy because i have complained about her precious son.. so i get a knock on the door around 130.. its my step mother.. Screams at me 'WHY IS IT, THAT EVERTIME MY SON IS IN THE SHOWER, YOU FLUSH THE TOILET?"..I was dumbfounded.. I was like WHAT? I had JUST gotten home about 20 minuted before.. sat down on the comp and chatted on msn with a friend of mine.. I hadnt moved from my seat.. she called me a liar.. and EVICTED me for what she believes to be Me FLUSHING my toilet!!!!

i call the rentalsmen..
I had already been in contact with them about him smoking weed. I had called the police, who apparently cant do anything.. and the rentalsmen cant lodge a formal complaint to the landlord about the situation.. so i am screwed there.. then i call them about what is going on and they tell me she can besically evict me if she doesnt like my hair colour!

Why is it that tenants get the sh***y end of the stick EVERYTIME.. She is evicting me for July first.. and i am having a second child by cesarean section on June 25th! I believe my dad is opting for another month.. but either way i am being evicted.. Why is there no protection for US?

Chinna Dah
05-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Holy crap, that is screwed up!

newmommy
05-20-2008, 01:13 PM
i am having a hard time with my landlord right now1 my place needs to be painted big time and 2 days after i moved in my clod water tap in my bath tub started leaking and so did my roof in my bathroom! my back door didnt lock i am missing one cupbord door. and the heater in the bathroom doiesnt work. i moved in here in march . he just fixed my bath tub tap 1 week ago. i still need paint i still dont have acupbord door he fixed my backdoor but it took him 2 weeks. and the roof in my bathroom still leakes when it rains. and my heater doesnt work! its retarted he lives right underneath me its not like he has to go very far to fix anything. my husbandtold him he will fix everything if he gettes the stuff , and he keeps saying "we will talk about it". cats are always comming around my house cuz there isnt any garbage bin there are only thoes big green garbage bins but there are only 2 and there is 4 apts in this place. him and my husband go into a scearming match beacuse i only paid half the rent this month because there is no way im paying 695.00 for an apt that is a **** whole. if i would of known he was gonna be like this i wouldnt of rented the apt. he is a drunk and he smokes weed and i can smell it in my apt sometimes. i have 2 young kids. i paid him his whole rent last month and he sayes we didnt pay him cuz he cant find the money and he doesnt remember me giving it to him!!!! he is keeping my damage deposted !!!!! and there is nothing i can do about it ! i am moving on the first of june. so anyone do not rent this apt or any apts from him (27 garden st). the last people who lived here moved out on him cuz he didnt pay the hydro bill and it got shut off and they had lil kids here too.

kb
05-20-2008, 01:21 PM
pretty simple pay your rent to the rentalsman they will hold it until the repairs are made

rhiley_08j
05-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Or you could do what I do and fix the problems yourself. If you have a landlord that is slack on things you have one of two options: move or fix it yourself.

T4
05-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Oh, wow! These stories are really MESSED UP!! The sad thing about it, is that right now..landlords (not all) can charge what they want for what they have. The city is getting ready to boom again, and people are in need of housing. So, I guess in some situations they figure that tenants are a dime a dozen. I certainly feel for the both of you. We live in a somewhat similar situation. We only have one exit out of our apartment, toilet and sinks continuously back up, fiber glass is hanging out of the ceilings etc., the list could go on. Promises of "renovations" started when we moved in.....a year ago. To date nothing and the building is up for sale.

Landlords such as the ones we are speaking about, make it very difficult for those that are truly GOOD landlords, and those that are renting and don't give a rat's pattootie make it hard for good tenants.

rhiley_08j
05-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Oh, wow! These stories are really MESSED UP!! The sad thing about it, is that right now..landlords (not all) can charge what they want for what they have. The city is getting ready to boom again, and people are in need of housing. So, I guess in some situations they figure that tenants are a dime a dozen. I certainly feel for the both of you. We live in a somewhat similar situation. We only have one exit out of our apartment, toilet and sinks continuously back up, fiber glass is hanging out of the ceilings etc., the list could go on. Promises of "renovations" started when we moved in.....a year ago. To date nothing and the building is up for sale.

Landlords such as the ones we are speaking about, make it very difficult for those that are truly GOOD landlords, and those that are renting and don't give a rat's pattootie make it hard for good tenants.

You're right, but people need to realize something else as well. Many many landlords have had tenants that take absolutely no pride in their homes and end up completely destroying a place by the time they move out. It is because of tenants like these that many landlords are afraid to take the initiative to fix their places up only to have a tenant destroy it again. If a lot more tenants took their own initiative and showed some pride in their homes, this would happen less often. Don't get me wrong I know that there are numerous landlords that don't give a crap, but if more people made their home what they wanted it to be, there would be a lot less problems.

FutureChief88
05-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Well Rhiley i have ALWAYs had pride in my place of living.. The apartment where i lost my dam dep needed to be fixed up.. minor things mind you.. But the previous tenant that had lived there before me.. lived there for 7 YEARS! she had a child as well and after 7 years of cooking and children.. a place NEEDS to be painted.. But he wanted all this done on MY dime.. and he got it! I dont know how the rentalsmens office expect me to provide pictures for things that didnt exist when i lived there. He complained of a "cut up" counter.. saying that i cut food and such on the counter.. i NEVER did.. I have 3 cutting boards! The problem with my claim was that i signed an ingoing inspection report.. the DAY i moved in they came to the door.. and asked me to sign. I signed because i didnt want to cause bad karma between the landlords and I. Now i know this was my fault for doing so.. but i also didnt figure he would have taken me for my damage deposit for a staple that had been previously placed in the window casing! He was EXTREMLY petty. In fact he included pictures of the toilet UNDERNEATH the rim.. where no one even ventures to look.. and the grime on there was NOT only from me.. this kind of grime does not accumulate over 1 year.. No one EVER gets that area sparkling.. i know because i have never even seen it!

As far as living in an apt.. I will always keep my house very clean and well looked after.. but it is NOT my responsibility to do renovations.. I will NOT do work for a landlord on my dime.. when in the end they wouldnt offer me the same respect! It is THEIR responsibility to look after their property.. it is an INVESTMENT.. and they should be looking after it as if it were their home! I have done over $800 worth of work in this apartment.. because it is my DAD'S and i figured i would have been here for a while. We have painted EVERY room in the house.. Living room, Kitchen, 3 bdrms, hall and bathroom. Also laid laminate flooring in the living room.. and NOW i am being evicted for FLUSHING MY TOILET?!?!?!?! and from my own family! While i am 8 and a half months pregnant with his grandchild!
It sickens me that there is no HELP out there for people in my situation.. and yes unfortunately your only option is to move.. so what incentive is THAT to help with up-keep on an apartment. It is NOT my responsibility to "look after" an apartment that belongs to someone else. Aside from general respect and cleaning!
Also.. with this place.. when it rains.. my back window leaks.. as well as my roof into my bedroom. Also our toilet overflowed the other day and it leaked into the kitchen, which is downstairs. My dad pays the power bill for the place as heat and lights are included.. I also went as far as to go spend mass amount of money on energy efficient light bulds for EVERY light in the house.. I bought a new washer and dryer.. energy star.. and we got a new fridge and stove. I didnt have to do ANY of this.. but i did because I have to live here.. and i figured.. u know.. its my DADS place.. so if i spend the money im not really losing out anyway!
I also gave him an extra $150 when i moved in.. just because.. he held the apartment for me for an extra month so i could give my previous landlord proper notice and had the heat and lights available when i was in here painting before i moved in.

It just REALLY frustrates me that after ALL this.. I am screwed!

inuit
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Both those stories are absolutely horrid. When I rented in the north end I had heard stories about no tennant ever getting damage deposit back from this landlord that we were going to rent from. Before we moved into the apartment I took pictures of Everything, doors, windows, moldings walls, celings and everything else I could think of. I took two rolls of film of the place. I got them developed and got 3 copies of them.I gave one set to the rentalsmen office to include along with a pre-move in checklist.

Sure enough, when we gave notice that we were moving we were told that we had broken all these things. After we had moved in we papered the livingroom and the photos showed the walls bare so the time was established. We got our 600$ back. As of this date, I think we are still the only ones who have.

I didn't think you would have to pay for painting after living there 3 years. Isn't that a part of normal maintainance for normal wear and tear.

I think the rentalsmen is there more for the landlord than the tennats. With the so called boom coming to SJ , I can see it only getting worse. Like it was in 2000. You couldn't beg, borrow or steal a rent in SJ.

I feel for you Rhiley, I wonder if your Dad knows the damage he is doing to your relationship with him. I know how that hurt feels. Really sucks.

livkat
05-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Well Rhiley i have ALWAYs had pride in my place of living.. The apartment where i lost my dam dep needed to be fixed up.. minor things mind you.. But the previous tenant that had lived there before me.. lived there for 7 YEARS! she had a child as well and after 7 years of cooking and children.. a place NEEDS to be painted.. But he wanted all this done on MY dime.. and he got it! I dont know how the rentalsmens office expect me to provide pictures for things that didnt exist when i lived there. He complained of a "cut up" counter.. saying that i cut food and such on the counter.. i NEVER did.. I have 3 cutting boards! The problem with my claim was that i signed an ingoing inspection report.. the DAY i moved in they came to the door.. and asked me to sign. I signed because i didnt want to cause bad karma between the landlords and I. Now i know this was my fault for doing so.. but i also didnt figure he would have taken me for my damage deposit for a staple that had been previously placed in the window casing! He was EXTREMLY petty. In fact he included pictures of the toilet UNDERNEATH the rim.. where no one even ventures to look.. and the grime on there was NOT only from me.. this kind of grime does not accumulate over 1 year.. No one EVER gets that area sparkling.. i know because i have never even seen it!

As far as living in an apt.. I will always keep my house very clean and well looked after.. but it is NOT my responsibility to do renovations.. I will NOT do work for a landlord on my dime.. when in the end they wouldnt offer me the same respect! It is THEIR responsibility to look after their property.. it is an INVESTMENT.. and they should be looking after it as if it were their home! I have done over $800 worth of work in this apartment.. because it is my DAD'S and i figured i would have been here for a while. We have painted EVERY room in the house.. Living room, Kitchen, 3 bdrms, hall and bathroom. Also laid laminate flooring in the living room.. and NOW i am being evicted for FLUSHING MY TOILET?!?!?!?! and from my own family! While i am 8 and a half months pregnant with his grandchild!
It sickens me that there is no HELP out there for people in my situation.. and yes unfortunately your only option is to move.. so what incentive is THAT to help with up-keep on an apartment. It is NOT my responsibility to "look after" an apartment that belongs to someone else. Aside from general respect and cleaning!
Also.. with this place.. when it rains.. my back window leaks.. as well as my roof into my bedroom. Also our toilet overflowed the other day and it leaked into the kitchen, which is downstairs. My dad pays the power bill for the place as heat and lights are included.. I also went as far as to go spend mass amount of money on energy efficient light bulds for EVERY light in the house.. I bought a new washer and dryer.. energy star.. and we got a new fridge and stove. I didnt have to do ANY of this.. but i did because I have to live here.. and i figured.. u know.. its my DADS place.. so if i spend the money im not really losing out anyway!
I also gave him an extra $150 when i moved in.. just because.. he held the apartment for me for an extra month so i could give my previous landlord proper notice and had the heat and lights available when i was in here painting before i moved in.

It just REALLY frustrates me that after ALL this.. I am screwed!
If the place your living now was a legal apartment, when you flush your toilet there should not be any issues with the shower upstairs. The plumbing doesn't sound like it is done properly. I feel for you! your current situation sucks:thumbsdown:

FutureChief88
05-20-2008, 07:14 PM
If the place your living now was a legal apartment, when you flush your toilet there should not be any issues with the shower upstairs. The plumbing doesn't sound like it is done properly. I feel for you! your current situation sucks:thumbsdown:

No my toilet is upstairs.. and he is 2 floors below me. You are right.. there is somethign wrong with the plumbing.. and he should be getting it fixed..
i certainly shouldnt be punished! and Inuit..It was me.. not rhiley! lol

My father and i have not been close ever since he got married.Iwas 17..pregnant and didnt agree with the wedding.. so i didnt go.imean after all the fuss they made about how my dress would have to be altered to fit my growing belly.. I just figured it wasnt worth it. Ever since then i believe he has resented me. worse than that.. they still think i am the same 16 year old kid that left their house..and i am NOT. I am a matured 23 year old mother of a 5 year old little girl..with my second child on the way. He would never have a better tenant than me.. nor a better daughter! but it is his loss :)

inuit
05-20-2008, 07:32 PM
OMG,FC, I am sorry. I get reading these too fast and after awhile I can't recall who said what. Old age and senility,you know.lol

I feel bad for you and I feel bad for your father too. The new family of his doesn't sound too great. Maybe he's just trying to agree with her to keep the peace. Sucks that he isn't showing any backbone when it comes to his children. Unfortunately, some day, he will regret it. Hopefully it won't be too late.

FutureChief88
05-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Well thats what it is.. and i can respect that when all is said and done.. he STILL has to live with her.. BUT.. stand up for me! She is being rediculous and unreasonable.. because she thinks i am out to get her son. I DONT WANT to smell weed in my house around my daughter.. and i dont want to complain about it either.. but it MUST be done if i can feel like any kind of mother at all. Of course we are going to have to move anyway, but her trying tokick me out on June 30th.. its absolutely absurd! i am having a baby on June 25th! i wont even get home from the hosp till the 28th if there are no complications..have to move on the 30th and have dental surgery on the second of July. i would expect MORE from someone i DIDNT know! lol

rhiley_08j
05-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Hey Future, I hope you didn't take my comment as showing lack of empathy for your situation. I was just making a general statement. It sounds like you're not really happy there anyway so maybe it's all for the best you are moving. If I can ask a question. when did they give you your notice? Did you pay your rent for this month?

Cherry Pop
05-20-2008, 10:01 PM
One word - Co-ops! When you live in a co-op, you are the landlord!! Call Housing Alternatives - they have numbers for all the co-ops in the city and they usually know if any have an available apartment.

FutureChief88
05-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Yea and you have to be approved for co-op..plus you have a bunch of people breathing down your neck. I dont want to deal with neighbors.. i have had too many problems with that. also i dont want to do work for the whole area.. i like to keep to myself. Most co-ops dont accomidate for 2 young children a cat and a washer and dryer hook-up. lol

Rhiley.. no i didnt take your statement with lack of empathy..I just responded. lol
they didnt give written notice.. just verbal. i have paid my rent for the month of May.. just waiting to see what theyll do at the first of June. If i get a written notice.. I will be furious. The Dam dep slip will be signed immediately.. and he'll have one hell of a time renting the place cause EVERYONE who views it will know what kind of crap theyll have to go through!

livkat
05-22-2008, 06:25 AM
Written notice must be given to you May 31 if they want you out for the end of June . Shame on your father for putting you through all this stress just before you are about deliver. Also If I was you and the smell of drugs was in my apartment The police would be downstairs pretty fast. They do have to investigate complaints regardless what they tell you. If you call when you smell it and they come, chances are some will get busted for possession.

rhiley_08j
05-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Yea and you have to be approved for co-op..plus you have a bunch of people breathing down your neck. I dont want to deal with neighbors.. i have had too many problems with that. also i dont want to do work for the whole area.. i like to keep to myself. Most co-ops dont accomidate for 2 young children a cat and a washer and dryer hook-up. lol

Rhiley.. no i didnt take your statement with lack of empathy..I just responded. lol
they didnt give written notice.. just verbal. i have paid my rent for the month of May.. just waiting to see what theyll do at the first of June. If i get a written notice.. I will be furious. The Dam dep slip will be signed immediately.. and he'll have one hell of a time renting the place cause EVERYONE who views it will know what kind of crap theyll have to go through!

Just remember Future that as was previously stated they have to give you written notice at the first of the month, and it has to be passed to you in person. Simply putting it under the door or on the door is not suffice.

FutureChief88
05-22-2008, 06:51 PM
O i know guys. I have been around when it comes to landlords. I know the rentalsmen inside and out..it seems. You learn quickly after being screwed so many times! And no.. they have to give you notice the day you normally pay rent.. so if i pay rent on the first of every month.. thats when i must receive notice. i am just waiting to see what theyll do. its not going to be fun! i will def keep you guys posted! thanks for listening to the rant..

and liv.. just to elaborate on the drug thing.. i have called the cops..once or twice.. the first time just to see what they could do. The second time i complained.. and yes they come.. but there is nothing they can do about it unless they SEE the drugs.. They cant do anything off of smell i guess.. which i find odd..
it just drives me crazy that people can get away with these things.. but i get screwed at every corner! its odd to me! lol
I must have done something bad.. cause SOMEONE is def out to get me! lol

livkat
05-22-2008, 07:56 PM
It was my understanding that if the police can smell it then thats reason to enter the premisis for a search. Anyway, I hope things work out for the best!:D

FutureChief88
05-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Yea it was my understanding as well.. but apparently we are wrong.. or i just have a set of lazy cops dealing with the situation. itsucks.. trust me!

inuit
05-22-2008, 08:07 PM
FC, just a thought. Don't move. Piss on them. Stay put. Call their bluff.When push comes to shove, see what happens. You may actually cause some friction in the love nest. What are they gonna do? Call the sheriff to remove his daughter and new born grandchild?

That "someone" is step mother and maybe you should make her life miserable for a month or so. I did this once to a p... landlord just to watch him twist.

FutureChief88
05-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Haha my thoughts as well!
And i DEFINATELY am going to make things rough. I have decided that i am going to wait it out for now and see what happens.. But if he does decide to evict me i wont go quietly! And the water will run ALL DAY LONG.. If the little prick downstairs has something to say.. he can take his shot.. But i dont suggest messing with a pregnant woman! lol
All the lights will be left on and the heat will be cranked right up everytime i am gone for any amount of time! O i will have fun! lol

rhiley_08j
05-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Haha my thoughts as well!
And i DEFINATELY am going to make things rough. I have decided that i am going to wait it out for now and see what happens.. But if he does decide to evict me i wont go quietly! And the water will run ALL DAY LONG.. If the little prick downstairs has something to say.. he can take his shot.. But i dont suggest messing with a pregnant woman! lol
All the lights will be left on and the heat will be cranked right up everytime i am gone for any amount of time! O i will have fun! lol

Don't want to ruin your fun or sound like your father but if I may say one thing... be prepared to handle the consequences of your actions.;) Two wrongs don't make a right, and you still have the opportunity to be the better person.

inuit
05-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Oh Rhiley, you know you're right and mature about it but sometimes, just sometimes, it feels sooooo good to do something just to piss 'em off. LOL my friend, Lol

FutureChief88
05-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Agreed .. but there will be no consequence for these actions as i will already have my damage deposit slip signed. once he signs it he cant take it back. As far as the relationship.. the damage is already done.. and when i walk out of this apt.. we will no longer speak. I want my moneys worth.. if he wont re-imburse me.. ill take it one way or another.

rhiley_08j
05-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Agreed .. but there will be no consequence for these actions as i will already have my damage deposit slip signed. once he signs it he cant take it back. As far as the relationship.. the damage is already done.. and when i walk out of this apt.. we will no longer speak. I want my moneys worth.. if he wont re-imburse me.. ill take it one way or another.

There is still small claims court in which he could sue for cost incurred. Also the fact that someone could make him aware of this post, and you could be sued because of malicious intent. Not saying that it will happen, but there is always consequences for our actions. Every action incurs a reaction.

FutureChief88
05-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Well my father doesnt even know how to turn a computer on.No one on here knows me.. a dn he can have fun with small claims court to prove usage was anymore than normal. he is paying oiland power for 3 apartments.. there is only 1 meter..so you cant decifer between each apartment. Also i will take him tosmallclaims court for much more than i will spend in "costs incurred'. i understand what you are saying rhiley.. But i dont feel sorry.. When a father can do this to his DAUGHTER.. i could care less about consequences,

rhiley_08j
05-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Well my father doesnt even know how to turn a computer on.No one on here knows me.. a dn he can have fun with small claims court to prove usage was anymore than normal. he is paying oiland power for 3 apartments.. there is only 1 meter..so you cant decifer between each apartment. Also i will take him tosmallclaims court for much more than i will spend in "costs incurred'. i understand what you are saying rhiley.. But i dont feel sorry.. When a father can do this to his DAUGHTER.. i could care less about consequences,

I here you Future it's just too bad that you and your father couldn't find some way to reconcile.

christine chittick
05-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Isn't it illegal to have only one meter for power for several apartments??

rhiley_08j
05-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Isn't it illegal to have only one meter for power for several apartments??

No not meters, you're thinking along the lines of circuit boxes and how much power can be drawn from each. As long as there is only one bill for the property than one meter is suffice.

FutureChief88
05-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Yea.. i dont know.. there is MUCH about this place that is "illegal".. But we wont go there.
The whole point of this thread was to talk about the lack of intervention with the rentalsmen..
They are NOT there for tenants. a landlord can send numerous letters to a rentalsmen about a tenant and these people can basically evict you.. yet you can't ask for their intervention about another tenant in the bldg who is endangering your health? Seriously. If anything were to happen with this place.. I would be the one to suffer.. not anyone else! its just hopeless.. I hate it!

inuit
05-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Yeah really, the rentalman board was supposed to be there to protect BOTH the renter and the landlord from abuses but it appears that they are only there for the landlords. If you ask me, it's the same old story. Renters usually do not have a lot of money and are usually transient necause the rents are either dumps or so overpriced, people cannot afford to pay rent and live. It is really hard to effect change if you have no voice and if you have no wealth, you have no voice.

rhiley_08j
05-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Every tenant should know the Residential Tenancies Act. The best way to protect yourself is to know your rights and responsibilities and document everything before you move in and after you leave.

The reason the Rentalsman seems to be more suited to the landlord is because although most of you may be responsible tenants, the Rentalsman has seen time and time again tenants destroy an owners investment. I am not saying that it is right, but we can thank all the bad apples that ruined a system that was in place to protect both sides.

FutureChief88
05-27-2008, 03:22 PM
That is all well and good. But we are not talking damage here. If there is a concern for health and welll being.. there should be more options than to move out (which is the answer i got when i called for help) whay are the landlords not being punished for not enforcing the protection of other tenants in the building. I understand these people are not police.. but if a landlord KNOWINGLY rents to a person who smokes dope in a house.. and the other tenants are affected by it.. if the tenant chooses not to follw the rules set forth.. the landlordjust gives up? they should be forced to evict.. and everything should be documented as i have done. I have pics of this palce before i mived in.. after renovations and will be taking pics when i move out. I also have it documented EVERY TIME he has smoked dope doen stairs or we have had a horrible disturbance of yelling and smashing things SO HARD that MY tv shakes! Everytime i have complained and called the cops is documented.. and STILL the rentalsmen say.. well..move out. it just sickens me that THIS i my only option. and nothing can be done to help me stay here.

rhiley_08j
05-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Do you really want to stay now, especially with all the animosity? If you aren't getting the results you feel you are entitled to with the rentalsman, have you thought of getting legal representation to mediate between you and the rentalsman?

FutureChief88
05-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Well no because they have laws for a reason. i have been over and over the tenancy acts and there is no clause in there for tenants. I wouldLOVE to stay of the weed stayed miniscule. I am renting half of a house! with H&L Inc washer dryer hook up, deck and backyard for $650 a month! Now with 2 kids and being on maternity leave.. I would LOVE to stay here!

KRS
05-27-2008, 10:06 PM
try talking to him.

bring him down a bag of cheetos and say "dude, try a chill pill"

inuit
05-27-2008, 10:40 PM
FC< you reminded me of something I heard awhile back on the news. Wasn't there something about landlords being held responsible when their tennants are known druggies? Seems they were going to start making the landlord police their own rents to assure there was no drug activity in their buildings. Does anybody else know anything about this.

I know what you're saying. I used to rent in the north end (main street) and the person downstairs was always smoking weed and the smell and the smoke wafted up the stairs. I was going to complain to the manager till I saw him down there smoking with her.

livkat
05-28-2008, 06:44 AM
try talking to him.

bring him down a bag of cheetos and say "dude, try a chill pill"
lol... good one:rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

FutureChief88
05-28-2008, 08:15 AM
FC< you reminded me of something I heard awhile back on the news. Wasn't there something about landlords being held responsible when their tennants are known druggies? Seems they were going to start making the landlord police their own rents to assure there was no drug activity in their buildings. Does anybody else know anything about this.

I know what you're saying. I used to rent in the north end (main street) and the person downstairs was always smoking weed and the smell and the smoke wafted up the stairs. I was going to complain to the manager till I saw him down there smoking with her.

Well thats just it.. My father and his wife are pot heads as well. But i dont care.. I will complain. I DONT smoke it.. nor does my 5 year old daughter. The seal on one of my closets needs to be re-done.. and i can even smell it when he smokes. When he lights up a joint.. its like he is in my kitchen smoking it. But that has stopped. I just dont know what will come in winter. Right now its summer and no biggie for him to go outside.. But he still smokes it at the back of the house every now and then and it comes in through my window.
As far as a tenancy act.. i have been in contact with the rentalsmen about this and this is when i was kindly told to move out. That they could tell a landlord who they were to allow in their housing.. and if he wasnt stopping the behaviour, then to move out.

I am just bitter with the way the system works.. Thats all. I find it quite sickening!

bradorna
05-29-2008, 09:26 AM
I know how you feel, because I had an issue with the rentallsman/landlord also. It took them over a year to give me back the damage deposit that I rightly deserved. The lndlord was falsely accusng me of damages to their house. The reason I had to move was because they sold it and the new owner was moving in. I even got a written statement from her saying everything was perfect and was immaculate inside and out. I unforunately am a perfectionist and kept the place spotless, so the landlord, over the period of one year kept coming up with more things that I supposedly did to the place and the appliances. They had given me their old frig when they purchased a new one(in which I had to wait 2 weeks for). They left it out in the snow when I was not at home and I had to get someone to carry it in. We were extremely careful and then they turned around and said I scratched it from carrying grocery bags past it. There were 2 big gouges in it that were already there and it was full of mildew because she was very dirty and it took me 2 days to clean.. Anyway to make a long story short the rentalsmen were of no help to me and were on her side even though her lies were so obvious. I was able to backup every accusation she made and it still took them over a year to give me back some but no all of my money. It was a nightmare, but now I rent another house and I have the best landlady any person could ever want, even completely finished the basement for me and did it as I wished . She left the designing and coloring all up to my choice and it is now beautifully completed right down to laminate flooring. I hope I never ever have to move from here. I love it

inuit
06-03-2008, 09:46 PM
I understand whay you're saying FC. Even though you know there's nothing you can do about the injustice, you just need to vent your fustration on here.

FutureChief88
06-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Yup.. but they didnt give me my notice on the first.. so i guess they got me for at least another month! thank god.. cause moving with all that going on would have been nasty. We will be moving either way... just hopefully on our own time.

inuit
06-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Hopefully you will be as fortunate as Bradorna and find a super fantastic place. They are still out there, just hard to find. Good luck !!