PDA

View Full Version : leaving job for another

space
01-26-2007, 10:48 AM
if someone works at a same job for 21 years getting about $25000 a year.. would you leave for another job simular to the one now but paying up to $45000 a year depending on experience?

puppyluv
01-26-2007, 10:58 AM
is there really any question about the answer?
of course! knowing where the person you are asking about works, I would say dont let the door hit you as you leave!

Mandi
01-26-2007, 11:01 AM
uh... yeah! in a second.

devils_advocat1
01-26-2007, 11:21 AM
That hardly seems like a logical question, almost double the wages...the first job wouldnt even see me go out the door casue i'd be movin so fast.

sugadip
01-26-2007, 11:35 AM
I think it would be hard to leave a job that you were at for so long because you would probably worry what your boss might say or you feel you may leave them hanging. You will most likely lose your seniority at a new job as well, but if it could possibly pay double what the current job pays that would surely be some incentive to go. Good luck.

adm
01-26-2007, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't even give them the standard 2 weeks notice! That salary with that length of time committed to them is an insult! :eek:

Good luck in your new job! :biggrin:

tag
01-26-2007, 11:55 AM
keeping in mind that there are other considerations such as security, benefits, location, etc etc.............
but ......uhhh........yeah!

jdcb
01-26-2007, 12:17 PM
I couldn't have worded that better tag...

But I'd still try to give two weeks notice incase the second job is bust and he wants to go back. Plus gives chance for the first job to kinda realize you might leave and may offer some more...

trinity
01-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Changing jobs is hard for sure, I stayed for 13 years at a job that never paid more than $10 an hour because I didn't want to branch out and make a change. I finally took a chance about 6 years ago. I don't say I make a whole lot more now but if I had still been at the other job, I would be lucky to be making 11, the other place simply does not pay that much. The "new" job, now 6 years old, also has offered a lot more opportunities for advancement and transfers if I ever wanted, and also all the overtime I can handle, which the "old" job never would have. It was hard however to take that chance, because it meant leaving a place I had been since high school (better the devil you know LOL). I also lost the security at least in the beginning, at my "old" job I would pretty much have had to have slept on the job or burned the place down to get fired, at my new job, until my probation period was up, I could have been fired for "being the wrong fit". I did have a bad experience in the middle of my 6 years with my current employer where I left and went to a new job in another province, a job that paid about 50% more. I did my best at that job, and after 2 months, 3 weeks, and an odd number of days (yep you guessed it, within days of my probation period ending)I was let go, no reason given. I believe they knew all along they were eliminating the position, and just wanted a body to be present for the holidays so all the other managers would not have to be responsible for covering. So there I was, stuck 5000 KM away, no job. I was very lucky, I moved back and since I had left on good terms, was able to get a similar position back at my old employer(paying a little less than when I left, but I quickly moved back up again.) I guess the moral of the story is, I took a chance twice in my life-once I got burned and once I definitely didn't. Second moral of the story: Don't leave on bad terms. Any decent employer will recognize an employee who is simply needing to stretch themselves, and if it doesn't work out, they would be a fool for not taking back an experienced, trained employee, who is now more than ever going to be loyal to the company that bailed them out of stressful times.

space
01-26-2007, 12:56 PM
my post is about my wife.. she spend 21 years at this job that pays less for the time she been there. I been trying to tell her there is a job that she can apply for that pays to almost double to what she's getting now. this is a much larger corporation and better benifits .. no it's not the Irvings.

she goe's out deliver things for her company with her own vehicle.. they don't supply her with a vehicle ..they don't help her out with gas.. they don't care 2 hoot's about it
I know she be happy working somewhere else.. but being at a place for so long is probably dificault.

there's always time for a change... the time is now!!

girdy
01-26-2007, 01:35 PM
If she doesn't want to leave her current job for a reason which is important to her, it might be an opportunity to have her show her employer the job ad for the other role, and ask that consideration be given to bump up her compensation. They're not going to want to lose her since she is a long time employee, so maybe they'll come to the table with something. If she's careful to indicate that she's not threatening to quit, just is asking to be compensated fairly, something positive might happen.

trinity
01-26-2007, 02:34 PM
The other side of the coin is that you can't put a price on job satisfaction. I have two university degrees, which would allow me to get a job paying 8-10 k more than I currently make... but I lost faith in the NB Dept of Education after struggling for years as a supply teacher, praying to get a contract, with no success, overlooked and pushed aside, and so I would rather stay where I am valued than make the leap to a teaching job for an employer that has not proven to me that they are worth working for.

fullprop
01-26-2007, 03:09 PM
If your wife isn't interested..I'd be interested in knowing the position...maybe I can apply...lol!!

space
01-26-2007, 07:48 PM
If your wife isn't interested..I'd be interested in knowing the position...maybe I can apply...lol!!

what kind of work do you do?

toolman
02-10-2007, 12:26 PM
well sometimes u take chances and you get burned,, sometimes it works out,
I worked at a-z rentals for 23 years didn,t make a fortune but made a living
the i took a chance to be the manager of tool rental at home depot. it was a hard decision 1.50 more and hour ,, decide to make the change things went great for about 8 months then i was let go for a violation of company policy
which I might add was how i was trained ,but i won,t get into that,I was devastated but as luck would have it 2 days latter i got a job at Cat Rentals
awesome place to work treat there employees great and with over time I make about 15k more a year

The_Dave
02-12-2007, 06:16 PM
If the job pays that much, PM me if your wife is not interested and if I feel I have the qualifications, I will apply. Thanks

Mandi
02-12-2007, 06:23 PM
If the job pays that much, PM me if your wife is not interested and if I feel I have the qualifications, I will apply. Thanks

I was thinking the same... lol Sign me up!

hoperdope
02-15-2007, 06:20 PM
A career change as some have said is a hard one to make and is one you must be ready for. I personnally had a 48 000.00 yr job of 10.5 yrs and chose to leave for less then half my salary as I was no longer happy. Benefits, pention again also play a huge part in your decision making. My permanent full time previous employment with EXTREEMELY GOOD benefits did get lost although in my current employment I am a temporary part-time with similar and acceptable medical and dental benefits. I have a young family and this is where my priorities lie.

If you wife complains about her work you might want to ask her to read your post to get all the pros and cons, but if she likes it, it's a hard thing to bargain.

fullprop
02-16-2007, 02:54 PM
what kind of work do you do?

Hi Space,

sorry for the long time between replies.

I work in a call center full time doing trouble shooting of hardware and software problems. I also work part time merchandising for a snack food company.

space
02-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Hi Space,

sorry for the long time between replies.

I work in a call center full time doing trouble shooting of hardware and software problems. I also work part time merchandising for a snack food company.

I don't think you be able to handle the type of job she's doing

fullprop
02-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Lol...that sucks for me then...and I'm looking for a change too...Thanks anyways