PDA

View Full Version : Why the 30 day waiting period after judge signs the divorce papers?

kristajoy
05-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Does anyone know why it takes 30 days for a divorce to be legal after the judge signs the papers? It should be legal after his signature, but not sure why the wait.

Tania
05-14-2008, 12:34 PM
It has to go through the registration process with the province..

inuit
05-14-2008, 01:16 PM
And to make sure you are indeed all done and to give you some time to think about it before you rush into another marriage. That's what a judge told me when I asked. Didn't have to worry about either. I waited 7 more years before I made that mistake again. LOL

sarahnb
05-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Guess my mom is still waiting....18 yrs later.

sweetnessthing
05-18-2008, 12:58 PM
im wondering why you have to wait a year before gettin the papers at all. especially when you want it done and over with so you can move on with your life

inuit
05-18-2008, 09:56 PM
You need to wait one year if you are citing irreconcilable differences. That's the most commonly used reason for divorce. that can be made quicker if you use adultry, abandonment, physical or mental cruelty. The only thing is if you choose to use one of these grounds, you will have to prove it in court. It can get very messy and ugly. Sometimes it's just easier to wait the year.