PDA

View Full Version : What would you think.......

Steve Frencht
01-26-2007, 12:48 AM
THEORETICALLY speaking: someone offers you the opportunity to be your own boss. You've already worked for him for years. He knows your work ethic, you think he's doing you a favor.
The story is that he just doesn't have the time or resources to look after this (self-sustaining) business. "I'll make a personal loan for the purchase price of the business; you can pay me off on time." says the newly appointed landlord, "...and you can pay me current month's rent." So what ensued was an individual collecting a ridiculous amount of money from the poor trusting soul who entered into this verbal agreement, until such time that the principal was paid in full.
Finally, the young man can say that he has something; a piece of Canadian Pie! Then your landlord barges in and demands the use of your space. You've already paid your rent, but he's the BOSS, RIGHT! etiquette would dictate: let him have his way.
Again a verbal agreement was made, since the rented space was tied up with a "huge yellow truck that puts out fires", that a month's rent would be waived. Effectively this put a stop to all incoming revenue for aforementioned business and left the new owner in a precarious situation for capital.
Here's the beautiful part: the landlord now demands 2 months rent inside of a 2 week period, or you're out! February's rent by the 15th, and March's before the 1st. Beyond that, he's now changed the locks, and taken all assets & stock hostage.
How could you proport to put someone into business, knowing full well that your master plan was to milk them and force them out of business.
I'm a firm believer that what goes around comes around, *removed* I'm sure you're going to hear about this.

trinity
01-26-2007, 04:44 AM
Since it isn't even Feb 1 yet, I was not aware that anyone could do much of anything in the way of changing locks. In fact, at least from a residential point of view, the landlord/landowner cannot even evict you for 20 days without notice. I had a business once and we didn't pay Decembers rent, we were stuck with a thousand dollar oil bill that the landlord conveniently forgot to mention was the average heating price in the winter. We got our eviction notice and they weren't supposed to change the locks until the 20th but they came around on about the
7th... we however 'managed" somehow to get our stuff back :-P.

Steve Frencht
01-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Well rules and regulations don't seem to make any difference to this guy. He tied up the shop from December 18th until January 22nd, and February was to be the free month's rent for the inconvenience. Of course with no customers coming in during that time, the losses mounted. This was all part of a long calculated plan, and historically speaking it's happened before with the very same business under a different name.

Upon rental of a new space and retrieval of supplies, business could be resumed, however this Italian body-shop owner is a mean spiteful wretch, and is deliberately preventing that from happening.

Goin4Coffee
01-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Have you tried getting any legal advice?
I know verbal agreements are only as good as the paper they are written on, but sometimes with the right advice you can atleast make the effort..
especially with a business, there is always a papertrail of sorts.
Goodluck:)

6sixstring6
01-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Have you tried getting any legal advice?
I know verbal agreements are only as good as the paper they are written on, but sometimes with the right advice you can atleast make the effort..
especially with a business, there is always a papertrail of sorts.
Goodluck:)

verbal vs. written.......two entirely different concepts, how did you relate the two?

Goin4Coffee
01-26-2007, 08:23 AM
sounds like you may be 6strings..... really read it..between the lines even

It's a familiar saying ages and ages Old..

to clarify---the paper that the Verbal agreement is written on.....(there is NONE)
which means you doubtfully have a hope in Heyell......
but As I stated there are ways around it, since he is talking about a business transaction, and he took out a loan, therefore there ia a papertrail...--hope that helped you a bit :)