PDA

View Full Version : 2 classes of Welfare Receipents.

sanstu
04-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Firstly, this is not a "welfare bashing" thread. I am just wondering why we have a system in place that allows for 2 classes of receipents. If one is "lucky" enough to be in "housing"rent is based on the amount they receive which I believe is 30%. (this number was mentioned in another thread) If a client is not '"lucky" enough to be in "housing" then they could be paying upwards of $600.00 per month, almost twice the amount. There is something wrong with this picture.

Can a receipent "rent"(cough...cough) a house from a parent? If this is allowed, what type of home can be rented; $100,000.00 home, how about a $200,000.00 home. Yeah, that's exactly how our tax dollars should be spent.:rolleyes: Wrong, wrong, wrong. What about the other abuses in this system? Fix the problems. Weed out all of the cheaters, charge them , demand restituation, and never let them receive income assistance again. Put the additional funding into helping the neediest in our society obtain self sufficiency.

If ever a system needed a complete overhaul this is it.

ps. geeze I hate rainy days!

~Butterfly~
04-29-2008, 04:34 PM
i had a whole page "rant" on this subject but decided to delete it :)

Bill
04-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Sanstu, the system will never be "fixed" it’s a self replicating, self maintaining life form

Picture this:

I walk into my office at 8:30 in the morning sit my big fat butt down in my ergonomic chair behind my oak desk and prepare for the day, at 4:30 I lift myself out of my chair hop into my new car and go home to my 150 - 200 thousand dollar home provided by my 50+ thousand a year salary all provided by the kind WORKING people of New Brunswick and deposited every two weeks into my bank account by my employer the province.....

Do I look stupid????? What incentive do I have as a Social Assistance councilor to get anyone off welfare; they justify my cushy job, and my pay cheque. Do you really thing I am that dumb to shoot myself in the foot...for every 50....100 I get off welfare it just gives the province reason to cut these well deserved jobs.

Want to change the system, Hire a dozen "get them off the system" councilors pay them 10 bucks an hour and 100.00 for every person they get off welfare ( get them a job, bump them for cheating whatever) I bet you would see a lot less working the system.....

My 2 cents worth
Bill

rhiley_08j
04-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Very true Bill... in order to fix the problem, others will suffer. Unfortunately that is the hard found truth of the matter.

sanstu
04-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Surely you are not saying the mandate of the government is to retain clients in this system. If not the government then it would be the social workers retaining clients, which would be contradictory to the degree they hold. Certainly cleaning up the abuse would leave more money in the system to work with clients that are truely in need. Would this take the department in a different direction? Absoutely. But it would be a positive direction. There will never be a lack of clients in need.

PS, maybe social workers should receive bonus's similar to what NB Power exect's receive. Now that would be incentive.

orange
04-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Sanstu, the system will never be "fixed" it’s a self replicating, self maintaining life form

Picture this:

I walk into my office at 8:30 in the morning sit my big fat butt down in my ergonomic chair behind my oak desk and prepare for the day, at 4:30 I lift myself out of my chair hop into my new car and go home to my 150 - 200 thousand dollar home provided by my 50+ thousand a year salary all provided by the kind WORKING people of New Brunswick and deposited every two weeks into my bank account by my employer the province.....

Do I look stupid????? What incentive do I have as a Social Assistance councilor to get anyone off welfare; they justify my cushy job, and my pay cheque. Do you really thing I am that dumb to shoot myself in the foot...for every 50....100 I get off welfare it just gives the province reason to cut these well deserved jobs.

Want to change the system, Hire a dozen "get them off the system" councilors pay them 10 bucks an hour and 100.00 for every person they get off welfare ( get them a job, bump them for cheating whatever) I bet you would see a lot less working the system.....

My 2 cents worth
Bill

This type of viewpoint boggles my mind...

Do you seriously think social workers scheme for ways to make sure there are lots of people on welfare?

I also doubt they make $50k per year... NB civil servants are generally paid far less than gov workers in bigger provinces and federally. I suppose the senior social workers probably make that much, but junior and mid-level ones probably make less.

Anyway, what you really need to realize is that anyone who goes into the profession of social work certainly isn't doing it for the money. There are far easier ways to make $40 to $50 thousand per year. Personally, you couldn't pay me $100k per year to deal with the BS they must put up with :eek:

People who go into social work do it because they want to help people. And if the welfare problem was fixed, they could easily use their skills for other government jobs.

This post reminds me of people who think doctors purposely want to make (or keep) people sick... Yeah, right. :p

Just as there's no shortage of sickness, there's also no shortage of social work issues -- so people in those professions certainly don't need to "manufacture" problems.

orange
04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Firstly, this is not a "welfare bashing" thread. I am just wondering why we have a system in place that allows for 2 classes of receipents. If one is "lucky" enough to be in "housing"rent is based on the amount they receive which I believe is 30%. (this number was mentioned in another thread) If a client is not '"lucky" enough to be in "housing" then they could be paying upwards of $600.00 per month, almost twice the amount. There is something wrong with this picture.

Can a receipent "rent"(cough...cough) a house from a parent? If this is allowed, what type of home can be rented; $100,000.00 home, how about a $200,000.00 home. Yeah, that's exactly how our tax dollars should be spent.:rolleyes: Wrong, wrong, wrong. What about the other abuses in this system? Fix the problems. Weed out all of the cheaters, charge them , demand restituation, and never let them receive income assistance again. Put the additional funding into helping the neediest in our society obtain self sufficiency.

If ever a system needed a complete overhaul this is it.

I don't know if I understand your question (that starts the 2nd paragraph)

The first paragraph is clear, but I don't see the relation between it and the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph.

By "housing", do you mean people who live in subsidized buildings operated by the government?

If someone is "renting" from a parent, then they can't be in one of those buildings, can they? Or are you saying that some welfare recipients receive payments to help with their rent, even if they're "renting" from a parent? (I really don't know, so I'm not asking this rhetorically :o )

About your general comment about cheaters, I agree that it would be nice to weed them out. But I think with any law/rule enforcement, there are 2 aspects... (1) people taking money by cheating; and (2) the actual cost of enforcement.

Like with seatbelts... it would be nice if everyone wore them... but to ensure people follow the law 100% of the time, would cost too much money. We would need to pay for cops constantly checking seatbelts all over the place, and that would be too expensive.

Another issue is with "false positives" - people who get punished even though they're innocent. I think in the justice system, the philosophy is that it's better to let 100 guilty people go than to convict 1 innocent person... i.e. don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

So if the system gets too stringent, then it would cause problems for genuine cases, and would also be very expensive to operate/enforce.

But I agree with catching cheaters and punishing them severely, as long as it's cost-effective :)

sanstu
04-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Subsidized housing, clients that have to pay twice the amount to live in a privately owned apartment, and a client that may be "renting" a $200,000.00 home from a parent. 3 totally different clients receiving public funds. My question was pertaining to the latter. Can an income assistance recepient "rent" a property owned by a family member?

Bill
04-30-2008, 06:38 AM
This type of viewpoint boggles my mind...

Do you seriously think social workers scheme for ways to make sure there are lots of people on welfare?

I also doubt they make $50k per year... NB civil servants are generally paid far less than gov workers in bigger provinces and federally. I suppose the senior social workers probably make that much, but junior and mid-level ones probably make less.

Anyway, what you really need to realize is that anyone who goes into the profession of social work certainly isn't doing it for the money. There are far easier ways to make $40 to $50 thousand per year. Personally, you couldn't pay me $100k per year to deal with the BS they must put up with :eek:

People who go into social work do it because they want to help people. And if the welfare problem was fixed, they could easily use their skills for other government jobs.

This post reminds me of people who think doctors purposely want to make (or keep) people sick... Yeah, right. :p

Just as there's no shortage of sickness, there's also no shortage of social work issues -- so people in those professions certainly don't need to "manufacture" problems.

I don't necessarily think they scheme to keep people in the system I do think there is no incentive for them to get them out of the system either. The amounts above were for discussion only and not meant to be accurate. Maybe that’s the change that is needed maybe the worker needs to be mandated in there job description to get 10 percent of there "clients" off the system a year or as you say they have lots of other opportunity they can no by by for non compliance and use there skills elsewhere....

And no I don't think doctors want to keep people sick however I think they are just as pay cheque driven as anyone else or everyone else, ever go to an after hours clinic 20 bucks for a note to say your going to miss work for 2 days, ever take your kid for a sore throat and say you have one to, they will be happy to have a look just make an appointment so I can send another bill to the government......the Hippocratic oath is all but dead, its more like move the cattle on that conveyer belt oath today....

I stand by my opinion
Bill

orange
04-30-2008, 07:15 AM
I don't necessarily think they scheme to keep people in the system I do think there is no incentive for them to get them out of the system either. The amounts above were for discussion only and not meant to be accurate. Maybe that’s the change that is needed maybe the worker needs to be mandated in there job description to get 10 percent of there "clients" off the system a year or as you say they have lots of other opportunity they can no by by for non compliance and use there skills elsewhere....

And no I don't think doctors want to keep people sick however I think they are just as pay cheque driven as anyone else or everyone else, ever go to an after hours clinic 20 bucks for a note to say your going to miss work for 2 days, ever take your kid for a sore throat and say you have one to, they will be happy to have a look just make an appointment so I can send another bill to the government......the Hippocratic oath is all but dead, its more like move the cattle on that conveyer belt oath today....

I stand by my opinion
Bill

You don't need to incentivize a job like that... only people who truly care about helping other people would go into the field in the first place.

As I said, there are much easier and less aggravating ways for people to make $30k-$40k per year... ways in which they wouldn't have to deal with the public insulting them and believing a myth that they have cushy jobs :)

The only reason someone would go into a job like that in the first place, is because they want to help people, and because they get their own satisfaction out of doing so. If they get tired of it or jaded, I think their skills would transfer over to other jobs fairly well, so there wouldn't be much point staying.

Plus they already have incentives - the satisfaction of helping people, the incentive of receiving commendations and special recognition on the job, and the incentive of getting promoted for a job well done.

Setting quotas like 10%, or any %, would also not work. Then you would get the problem of "false positives", as I described above... some innocent people would get punished, just because social workers would be forced to meet artificial quotas.

Personally, I think it's better to focus on helping people up who have genuine cases, rather than pushing the cheaters down (although they should be pushed down (punished)... but the focus should be on helping the real people up).

Also, I agree with how doctors bill things. The system isn't perfect, but the way it's structured makes sense. Time is valuable. A simple sick note involves a lot of different things, and doctors also have to deal with the possibility of frivolous lawsuits. Properly maintaining and transferring health records also involves a cost.

And if someone wants to talk about a second health problem, then yeah, the doctor should be paid twice. Okay, maybe the average appointment takes 15 minutes, and your appointment only took 10 minutes. But another appointment may take 20 minutes. So it needs to average out... so a simple health issue that gets solved in 10 minutes doesn't mean the patient gets an extra 5 minutes for a second problem.

I see it more as a problem with the system that they force the doctor to make it another appointment if they want to be paid for it. But even that has a logical basis, in order to prevent fake double billings.

It seems like a lot of people also forget that while most people happily make money in their 20s, doctors have to take on a huge debt-load for tuition fees, and they don't get paid very much while they're interns... and they also have to study and work an extreme amount, while a lot of other people party away in their 20s.

So they deserve to be paid a lot, because they missed out on money earlier in their lives, and also because it takes a lot of studying and hard work to reach that position. A patient isn't just paying for the 15 minutes they take with a doc, they're partly paying for the thousands of hours of studying and training it took to gain that knowledge and experience.

Anyway, getting back to the topic of welfare, I think the focus in terms of criticism should be on abusers of the system, rather than insulting social workers.

Carolyn
04-30-2008, 08:06 AM
I rent rooms and they are very clean and well furnished and I am proud of what I offer the public. As for welfare clients, well forget it. I have given tons of them a chance for a nice place to live. Of course that was a mistake. They were very dirty, skips out on rent, never go by the rules of the house. The best trick is now they come a give a sob story about what ever, they want me to sign their form for them to get money to rent my place. I sign the paper and what happens they spend the money elsewhere and still don't have a place to stay. O yes they are still staying with there friends or family. So I'm sorry , I'll never let anyother one in my place again. If the system had a bit of a clue, they would put the landlords name on the cheque for the rent, so that's my say, I really could go on and on, but I don't have enough time.

KRS
04-30-2008, 08:57 AM
They were dirty!

Cherry Pop
04-30-2008, 09:16 AM
I rent rooms and they are very clean and well furnished and I am proud of what I offer the public. As for welfare clients, well forget it. I have given tons of them a chance for a nice place to live. Of course that was a mistake. They were very dirty, skips out on rent, never go by the rules of the house. The best trick is now they come a give a sob story about what ever, they want me to sign their form for them to get money to rent my place. I sign the paper and what happens they spend the money elsewhere and still don't have a place to stay. O yes they are still staying with there friends or family. So I'm sorry , I'll never let anyother one in my place again. If the system had a bit of a clue, they would put the landlords name on the cheque for the rent, so that's my say, I really could go on and on, but I don't have enough time.

Yet another "welfare" bashing quote! So if you had to one day go on "welfare" are you saying that you would be "dirty" and that you would want to be discriminated against by not being allowed to rent from certain places because you are on "welfare". Sorry but I'm a very clean person and I always pay my rent on time and in full!!!!

livkat
04-30-2008, 09:18 AM
I agree, A cheque should be made out to the landlord for rent.

drakelogan
04-30-2008, 09:58 AM
wow...lots of great things to read today lol...well I would like to say, just because somebody is on welfare doesn't make them dirty!! I use to live with 2 friends one a masters of social work and the other an RN...the dirtiest people you have ever seen in your life!!! I am not kidding you wouldn't believe it....it is just unfortunate for you that you ran into a few bad apples...i do understand your hesitation to rent to them after your bad experiences...but please don't think that everyone is the same!!

I would also like to add that welfare system was not set up to live one's life on....it is suppose to be utilized in between employment or sickness, and not to have children who have children and so on who live on the system..!!! I do commend you people who use the system to educate yourself and move on to better things, showing your children positive influences...GIVE YOURSELF A HUG....you've done well and perhaps stopped a cycle of poverty...

I myself have been directly affected by this, I was raised by a single mother on welfare, my Mother whom i loved dearly but if i must be truthful had never encouraged me to go to school or attain a college education, I had to work & fight very hard not to fall into that trap of living on the system....guess it was my desire to drive a nice car hahahah...sorry had to lighten the mood a little....

For the Social worker, i agree there is not really much incentive for you financially to encourage your clients to get off the system, however that is not suppose to be the reason for it...I would think a job well done and saying that you accomplished what you are suppose to be doing should be enough for you?? it appears to me that perhaps you have been doing this far too long and lost your sense of humanity, perhaps you should consider a change of career??? there are many things one can do with a BSW OR MSW....physc or hospital social worker or community based, anyways you get my point...you don't have to sit behind that desk you referred too and leave with an empty sense of accomplishment.

I do hope i have not offended anyone, if i did that was not my purpose...sorry....just my opinion

seashanty
04-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Not meaning to hijack this thread but in response to

'And if someone wants to talk about a second health problem, then yeah, the doctor should be paid twice. Okay, maybe the average appointment takes 15 minutes, and your appointment only took 10 minutes. But another appointment may take 20 minutes. So it needs to average out... so a simple health issue that gets solved in 10 minutes doesn't mean the patient gets an extra 5 minutes for a second problem.

I see it more as a problem with the system that they force the doctor to make it another appointment if they want to be paid for it. But even that has a logical basis, in order to prevent fake double billings."

The system does not force doctors to make 2 appointments for 2 issues, that is particular to New Brunswick I think and very irresponsible of any doctor who does so. The last time I went to the doctor and told her I had a couple of issues (really a range of symptoms I now find out) and was told to pick one to deal with. Not being a doctor myself I have always assumed it was there job to diagnose the problem based on the symptoms, how am I supposed to know which ones to talk about in orde rto get to the root of a health issue. I may have had several things wrong or one global problem based on various symptoms it is the doctors job to listen and help decide what is serious or not. A serious breach of the hippocratic oath in the pursuit of greed.

Carolyn
04-30-2008, 12:14 PM
As for Cherry pop, this was not written for you or people like yourself, I'm sorry it you took this issue the wrong way. It's been a long long road and a lot of trying to change me way of thinking . No matter how much I want to trust the people that come to me to rent, I can no longer allow them to take down my guard. I feel sorry and I go home some nights a think, should I have given that person a chance. But I've got burnt to many times, I can't and won't do it any more. I would say in the last month alone I had 3 people on welfare come to me and like a fool is signed their form and what happens , It's funny after I get a call from the welfare office to confirm, I'm sure they got the money and ran. Cherry pop you are right, there are good working people to, that can't clean their room and leave it in a mess or better still , like a pig pen. Sorry if you took this the wrong way. Bye for now.

Crystalbeach
04-30-2008, 01:09 PM
First off a person who is accepted into Social Housing does not get to pick where they are housed..
if their name comes up on the waiting list they are offered the next available unit..it's their call whether or not they take it..

Subsidized units (those that do not belong to N.B. Housing) are owned by private landlords who have entered into an agreement with the govt to rent a given number of apartments...the client pays 30% and the govt pays the balance...however there is a cap on the rent i.e. there would be no agreement with a landlord whose apartments costs $1,200 per month etc..

and there are no private, self-contained homes being rented to clients of NB Housing..

livkat
04-30-2008, 03:00 PM
First off a person who is accepted into Social Housing does not get to pick where they are housed..
if their name comes up on the waiting list they are offered the next available unit..it's their call whether or not they take it..

Subsidized units (those that do not belong to N.B. Housing) are owned by private landlords who have entered into an agreement with the govt to rent a given number of apartments...the client pays 30% and the govt pays the balance...however there is a cap on the rent i.e. there would be no agreement with a landlord whose apartments costs $1,200 per month etc..

and there are no private, self-contained homes being rented to clients of NB Housing..
I believe sanstu's question was can an assistance recipient rent a home or apartment from a family member.

livkat
04-30-2008, 03:11 PM
It seem's like the honest people who need social assistance help have the hardest time getting it, and than there are stories that you hear, of a friend of a friend who lives in a home rented to her by her parents with a working boyfriend and collects a full assistance cheque how is that fair or possible?

~Butterfly~
04-30-2008, 05:06 PM

actually...there are many self contained homes rented by subsidized occupants....a friend of mine used to live in one in Willow Grove, she applied one day and before she got home from the application process there was a message on her phone from the housing corp. she called them back and they asked her if she would live outside the city limits, she said yes so they sent her to view 3 different houses (self contained) she moved in 3 weeks later to the one she decided upon.

Also, a friend of my fathers had a home built for her in Barnsville by the low income housing corp. she paid approx $200/month for 25 years then it was hers.....as soon as it became hers, she sold it for a HUGE profit.

~Butterfly~
04-30-2008, 05:14 PM
P.S. as a side note to the "my tax dollars are paying for this rant"....when i am out on my back deck i can see a group of low income housing "townhouses". what irks me is all winter i watched them leave their doors and windows wide open and let the heat escape with no regard for the environment or the "great deal" they are getting on their rent.

another thing....a friend of mine who is a landlord got stiffed for 2 months rent from a woman who is on welfare....he called up the welfare office and they paid him what his tenant owed him....so basically she got to spend her welfare check on drugs (known fact, not speculation), booze and whatever else with no worries because apparently my tax dollars are there just for her and people like her...grrrrrr

i tried to stay out of this .....lol

Crystalbeach
04-30-2008, 10:30 PM
I should have clarified my statement..those rental units that you referrred to are owned by the government not private landlords....these house are in communities where there are little or no rentals on the market.

sanstu
05-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Here's an example: I am wealthy, I have a daughter that is a single parent. She is on IA. I have the means to purchase a $200,000.00 home, for my daughter and her child to live in.(I live in my own very expensive home) My daughter continues to collect IA, because after all she is entitled to.
The above is ONLY an example.

Does anyone think that this is wrong?

rhiley_08j
05-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Are you going to support your daughter with all of her daily living expenses as well? I think if the roof over her head is paid for than she should receive a reduced check. I'd say a reduction of about $600 (average rent) would be suffice.

~Butterfly~
05-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Are you going to support your daughter with all of her daily living expenses as well? I think if the roof over her head is paid for than she should receive a reduced check. I'd say a reduction of about $600 (average rent) would be suffice.

i agree with rhiley. $600x12months=$7200 per recipient who gets "free" rent, let's say for example there are 1000 people in this situation across Canada, that's a total of 7200000.00 to be used towards other things our taxes are supposed to be paying for.

So a recipient who receives $900/month from assistance would only get $300 to pay for other things like food, etc....some of you will say that's not enough...but take into consideration child tax benefits, GST, child support etc....it would be plenty enough to pay for the necessities such as food, seeing as a recipient has full FREE medical coverage and receives a larger amount in "credits" (child tax, etc) the monies coming in would be greater than the monies owed each month.

I mentioned earlier about a friend who is a landlord and had to call the "welfare office" (sorry I don't know the correct term) to get his 2 months rent that his tenant didn't pay. When he confronted the tenant about the money owed she cried and complained that she had to pay the phone bill, and the cable bill, and the car insurance etc....he said something to her that makes total sense....."Those are luxuries that you and your children do not need, the roof over your head is a necessity and should be a top priority, if you want a roof over your head pay your rent, if you want luxuries then get a job and earn them"

While it may sound harsh to some of you it is reality. There are far too many people milking the "system", and very few who are honest and appreciative of what they get for free. It would be nice to see more people take advantage of the "programs" that are there for people on assistance, they will help you go back to school and get educated. They will even pay the full babysitting bill while you go. They will pay for your older children to go to day camps at the Y where they will have a great time while your working on making their future better. They will even give you more money a month while your in these programs!! I sure wish I had free education, babysitters, more money while I was furthering my education while raising 2 kids on my own. Instead I was busting my a*$ in school during the day and cleaning toilets at night until 5am. Even with the $300 in child support i was getting every cent I made went towards my necessities and a babysitter. My kids practically lived on Kraft Dinner and Mr. Noodles but it was worth it in the end. Now I have a good job and can afford just about any luxury I choose, because I earned it.

P.S. While I was busting my butt a friend of mine was on welfare. She had more money left after paying her bills than I did and did not have to worry if her children got sick because they had free medical coverage, i had no coverage and was worried every time my children sneezed wondering how i would pay for medicine if they needed it. She also had beds,dressers, a washer and dryer all bought for her through income assistance. I had to find time and a few extra quarters to go to a laundry mat. Don't get me wrong, even though money was tight and i had a lot of stress (making less than someone on welfare when your working hard for your money will do that to a person), My kids and I were happy, healthy and are stronger today because of it.

rhiley_08j
05-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Here's an idea, provide free housing to those on income assistance... reduce their check by $600 a month... think of the money. Not sure how many people in Canada are on assistance, but lets say 1 million people.
That's a savings of $60 billion.

orange
05-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Here's an example: I am wealthy, I have a daughter that is a single parent. She is on IA. I have the means to purchase a $200,000.00 home, for my daughter and her child to live in.(I live in my own very expensive home) My daughter continues to collect IA, because after all she is entitled to.
The above is ONLY an example.

Does anyone think that this is wrong?

That's not what you were asking with your original question about housing. If you're asking whether the daughter could live with the parent and still collect IA, CrystalBeach's earlier answer explained that it's not possible.

Also, one would have to be quite a loser to be wealthy and yet let their kids have to live on IA, instead of helping them out. :confused: Assuming they have wealthy friends, I would expect they would also be looked upon with disgust (and would be "de-friended" by them :p ).

donteatrawpotatoes
05-01-2008, 08:28 PM
That's not what you were asking with your original question about housing. If you're asking whether the daughter could live with the parent and still collect IA, CrystalBeach's earlier answer explained that it's not possible.

Also, one would have to be quite a loser to be wealthy and yet let their kids have to live on IA, instead of helping them out. :confused: Assuming they have wealthy friends, I would expect they would also be looked upon with disgust (and would be "de-friended" by them :p ).

You want to help our kids out? Don't give them a bloody thing. Tell them to get a job. (ok, well, give them somethings, but enabling them? Wrongo.)

orange
05-01-2008, 08:34 PM
P.S. While I was busting my butt a friend of mine was on welfare. She had more money left after paying her bills than I did and did not have to worry if her children got sick because they had free medical coverage, i had no coverage and was worried every time my children sneezed wondering how i would pay for medicine if they needed it. She also had beds,dressers, a washer and dryer all bought for her through income assistance. I had to find time and a few extra quarters to go to a laundry mat.

It seems like there should be more assistance for the working poor for things like medicine.

As your case illustrates, it's better in the long-run to work through it... but your friend is an example of a person who maybe figures "why bother" getting a job, because she felt things were better for her at that moment being on IA. But she probably wasn't looking at the long-term big picture.

orange
05-01-2008, 08:41 PM
You want to help our kids out? Don't give them a bloody thing. Tell them to get a job. (ok, well, give them somethings, but enabling them? Wrongo.)

So what are you saying? Be wealthy and just let your kids go on IA?

Sometimes things happen, and a person has a legitimate need for IA. They might be sick, or lost a job and need to retrain, etc. If I was a wealthy parent, I would help my kid out myself before I let them go on IA. It would quicken them getting back on their feet, rather than slogging through the system on IA.

There's a difference between simply helping vs enabling. I think enabling would be if they unnecessarily needed help for years and years.

donteatrawpotatoes
05-01-2008, 08:53 PM
So what are you saying? Be wealthy and just let your kids go on IA?

Sometimes things happen, and a person has a legitimate need for IA. They might be sick, or lost a job and need to retrain, etc. If I was a wealthy parent, I would help my kid out myself before I let them go on IA. It would quicken them getting back on their feet, rather than slogging through the system on IA.

There's a difference between simply helping vs enabling. I think enabling would be if they unnecessarily needed help for years and years.

I thought when I said 'enabling them?' it was implied that I meant those who are able to work.:p Forgive me, I meant it to be.

donteatrawpotatoes
05-01-2008, 08:57 PM

I couldn't find CrystalBeach's post saying it's not possible to live with your parents and collect IA, if you have children, it's entirely possible.

christine chittick
05-01-2008, 09:59 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe that a person can live with their parents if they have children - but receive a reduced amount of money from income assistance.

I don't know about how this province works, but I will say that when I was on it 3 years ago, when I split with my husband, I moved to Nova Scotia and stayed with my grandparents until I moved back here and got a job...I did recieve assistance over there but it was drastically reduced. I believe u get something like 920.00 over there for 2 kids, and I got 300.00 for the month I was there. When I moved back here, I received 630.00 a month until I found my job, and haven't had to turn back to it since.

But I will say, although I received that amount it didn't seem to be enough, but it may have been that I was just starting to learn how to use my money properly, as I never had to before. It was freakin' tough. I lived in an apartment that was literally a fire hazard, the back entrance staircase was literally rotten to the point you couldn't walk on it safely as the railing was broke from rot, and the stairs as well. The lights were hanging down by bare wires at least 6 inches, one in the bedroom and the other in the porch. I don't think there was a level spot in the place at all. The floors sloped every which way, and my main entrance door was literally a french door. I lived there until I got a job, got on my feet...all the while I was pregnant with my 3rd child, and 2 other small children living with me. The place was NOT by any means suitable to live in, but at that point in my life, I could not afford to live in a half decent place considering I was only getting 1200.00 in total from social assistance and child tax benefit. For me to find a half decent place - it would cost anywhere's from 750.00 - to 900.00 a month, and most of the time it was unheated.

All I can say is I am living much more comfortably now, I have been at my job for 2 years or so, and I own my own home.

inuit
05-02-2008, 08:21 AM
N.B. has the lowest I.A. in the country. The people who scam the system use up valuable dollars. Unforunately nobody seems to care. The money saved therre could pay for some luxuries foe those truly diabled and connot work. Seriously how much of a luxury is a telephone or cable to someone who through accident or illness cannot work? People who cannot work should get at least double what they get now on I.A. What steams me is girls/women who choose to have babies without having any clue as to how they will support them because they can always fall back on welfare system. Wish someone would tell government children are not handicaps.If you produce them, you should be responsible to take care of them. I as well of a lot of single parents I know did, so it's not impossible, just harder than sitting home on assistance.

Crystalbeach
05-02-2008, 05:43 PM
The people that are hurting the most in this Province are the working poor...they are getting no breaks at all..if they get into subsidized housing their rent is 30% of their GROSS monthly income..which is not a reasonable formula...

and please be assured that if a client were living with a parent ..rent free..they would not receive a full benefit cheque.

It is also my humble opinion that if you make a mistake..get pregnant..have no education and require assistance it should be made available to you...however if you do it the second time it should be considered that you are the author of your own misfortune...you should be cut off and made to look after yourself.

If you wish to argue/debate with me please understand that you are dealing with someone who worked in the system for over 20 years...as they say I've been there and done that.

inuit
05-03-2008, 06:34 AM
I agree completely Chrystalbeach, Working poor have it even harder than A.I. people. No free medicine, no free gas to get your children to doctors, miss too many days off work due to sick child and get fired. No subsidized housing no handouts for your children to play sports or free daycare for your children so you can have a break. Yeah really, I used to live next door to a couple (she was supposed to be a single parent) who every morning the welfare sent a car to her house to pick up her 2 children and took them to daycare from 9 am to 2 pm so she could have a break from the kids.

2 people working at min. wage jobs or just one income are the really poor people out there. They are the ones who truly need help. If for nothing else than just to encourage them to stay in the workfield.

donteatrawpotatoes
05-03-2008, 09:09 AM
I agree completely Chrystalbeach, Working poor have it even harder than A.I. people. No free medicine, no free gas to get your children to doctors, miss too many days off work due to sick child and get fired. No subsidized housing no handouts for your children to play sports or free daycare for your children so you can have a break. Yeah really, I used to live next door to a couple (she was supposed to be a single parent) who every morning the welfare sent a car to her house to pick up her 2 children and took them to daycare from 9 am to 2 pm so she could have a break from the kids.

2 people working at min. wage jobs or just one income are the really poor people out there. They are the ones who truly need help. If for nothing else than just to encourage them to stay in the workfield.
:(

mizunderstood
05-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Subsidized housing, clients that have to pay twice the amount to live in a privately owned apartment, and a client that may be "renting" a $200,000.00 home from a parent. 3 totally different clients receiving public funds. My question was pertaining to the latter. Can an income assistance recepient "rent" a property owned by a family member?

To answer your queation can a IA recipient rent from a family member, yes and no. It all depends on who the family member is. If it is immediate family (mother, father, brother sister etc) Then no they cannot rent but they can "board"
If it is a distant member (outside immediate) then yes they can rent.
You can get housing subsizdy outside of the "provincial housing units.
So lets say you are my parent, NO I could not rent from you but I could board, which is about half the rate of what typical assistance rates/subsidize.
When I went to university I wanted to be a social worker. I almost completed the program (need 9 credit hours) But once I got out in the field, I quickly realized that the system is a lost cause. Too many people milking it, and finding ways around everything. Too many people in dire needs of assistance but can't get it for whatever reason, the laziness and complete lack of procedures being followed, turned me away from that profession.

mizunderstood
05-04-2008, 06:33 PM
What is my motivation??? Here is a situation

Let's say, I work 40 hrs a week at 9.00 an hr. Twice a month I take home roughly 500.00 (so 1000.00 a month) This is being out working all the time, away from my kids, being tired, stressed out, working with DISGUSTING clients, having to do disgusting jobs.

If I was on IA I would get 920 a month for myself and 2 kids.I would get to be home all day with my kids, enjoying all their moments, their firsts, teaching, guiding, etc. Not have to get up early or go to bed early.

Which would you do?

Unfortunalty a lot of people on IA are in the same situation I am in. When you work full time and only make what you would make on assistance, what is the point? A lot of people look at it like this..... Why go out and put all that effort into a job to make what I would make sitting at home with my kids all day long...
That is truly a sad way to live, think, and raise your children. What kind of example are you setting for the future generations?

Having said what I did, my exception here is this..... People with disabilities. They do not get NEAR enough funding to live off of. I work with diabled people. DO you know what a single disabled person gets to live off of a month? $600.00 a MONTH. And out of that they have to pay for rent, food, expenses, etc. HOW in the name of god is someone not capable of wiping their own arses supposed to live off of that? Some of them are "lucky" enough to be getting a pension... lol... Whatever their pension is a month is deducted off their check.DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR! One of my clients gets 366 a month from welfare and 230ish in pension. Please for the love of god explain to me how they are expected to afford food and shelter? Ok , yes they don't have any medical expenses for the most part. But there are still a lot of things (medical) that are not covered for them and they have to pay out of pocket for those things themselves. The system is set up to make people fail. The welfare rates should be cut in half for those that are able bodied, and capable of working. THere should be a lifetime maximum for a year maybe 2 of collecting IA. And this bull crap of being able to go out and earn 200.00 a month income before it is being deducted off your monthly check, that is BULL.... How come people that are capable of working but chose NOT to get the "perks" of earning 200 a month, while people that are sick, dying, and cannot get themselves out of bed on their own, have EVERY dollar deducted? How is that right?
I am ashamed of the system here, it is never going to change enough to get the lazy people off welfare. The ones that need it are always going to be the one that suffers.
Also someone else pointed out about free daycare while the parent gets to stay at home collecting a check. That is not supposed to happen UNLESS there are other circumstances, like abuse, alcohol, drugs, mental disorders, etc. Unless it is to give the child a safe place to "escape" for a few hrs a day. HOWEVER, when I lived down in the north end in housing, I saw this happening FAR too much. I saw moms, or dads taking their kids to daycare and then you would see them all sitting down at timmy's or head home to bed. MY opion is that if you are capabel of working, THEN GET OUT AND WORK. There is no excuse for anyone to be on it unless there are sick, injured, or disabled. I saw it way too much, where there would be parents at home all day long, kids would all be at school all day (lets say 10-17 year olds) and yet the parents always found a reason not to work. Oh well, I can't work cause I have no sitter... NEWS FLASH.... If you are BOTH at home, then at least one of you can work! The other excuse is that there are no jobs during school hrs... NEWS FLASH! There are TONS of them. You just have to look.
ARGG.... Anyways, my point is that the people on it that don't need to be on it (that can work, are able to work, etc) SHould not get it. PERIOD. The ones that NEED IT (disabled, injured etc) Should be getting DOUBLE what they are getting now, AND they should be allowed to keep their pensions without having it deducted dollar for dollar off their monthly check. NB is a pathetic excuse for a province. We spend 10's of thousands of dollars on stupid things, yet cannot find the funding for the things that need it.

inuit
05-04-2008, 07:13 PM
That's exactly what I've been saying for several other posts too.

I was reading on another post where the M.L.A.'s just gave themselves a pay raise and someone else was defending it. Really, do they REALLY think they are underpaid for what tnhey do? Add all the perks, they get a lot of money. They should try living on double what some disabled person gets.

Therein lies the problem. No M.L.A. out there knows what poverty is. Never touched by poverty. They say "Yes I understand" but really have no clue. You must live it to know it.

To get into the political arena, you must be wealthy or have a couple of rich backers to pay the expenses of a campaign. If they do get elected, guess who they owe the big favors to. Any big construction jobs or whatever automatically goes to a particular candidate's financial backers.

Issues like poverty among the disabled are so far down on the list it'll never see the light of day. Poor or disabled people have no money therefore no voice.Sucks but true.

trinity
05-04-2008, 11:49 PM
The other excuse is that there are no jobs during school hrs... NEWS FLASH! There are TONS of them. You just have to look.

Exactly. I guarantee if you trot your lazy butt up to Tim Hortons or McDonalds and are able to work 9-2 to cover their busy lunch period, most fast food managers would take you in a flash. I run a department with about 14 employees at my hotel and if someone came in and dropped off a resume and said they could only work those hours, I guarantee I could find something for them, room cleaning and laundry and floor mopping can happen at any time of the day at a hotel. I move heaven and earth as it is to accommodate my FT employees schedules, working around the buses, their spouse's shifts, when their drive can get them there, school holidays etc etc. In some cases, I have picked up and/or driven home employees who had no other way to work except by $15 taxi, which they couldn't afford. Heck, if some IA recipient came in and said they only wanted to work enough to make $200 a month, I could use them 4 or 5 shifts A MONTH, no problem.
I realize that everyone is not in the same situation, but what makes the difference is motivation and support. Give several different people the same situation, two kids, no high school diploma, bad health, no spouse, and the results will vary from 25 years on the system and nothing but complaints and whining; to a university degree and 200 K home. What the system needs is more mental health care professionals who could diagnose the so-called lazy ones who might actually be suffering from clinical depression, low self-esteem, anxiety disorders, personality disorders, chemical imbalances etc which prevents them from feeling like they CAN be successful at holding down a job, so they don't even try. I have experienced it myself first hand as a supervisor, people who willfully wash themselves out of the workforce for no concrete reason.

T4
05-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Issues like poverty among the disabled are so far down on the list it'll never see the light of day. Poor or disabled people have no money therefore no voice.Sucks but true.

I couldn't agree with you more!! There needs to be an OVERHAUL of the IA system. There are those that could make a "contributution" to society even if it were only a few hours a day. BUT...problem being, that there also needs to be more in the way of Human Resource Counselling, assessments of each individual (s) case. Not just be put on the system and left alone to do nothing!! Therein lies the beginning of "Generational System Abusers"

There needs to be change.....

Natalie_McDowell
05-05-2008, 12:31 PM
wow this hole add is pretty rude if you ask me don't you have anything better to do with your time then come on i saint john and bad mouth people and gossip.

Tara
05-05-2008, 12:37 PM
If the shoe fits!

kristajoy
05-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Well, I must say a few things on this subject. My story goes back 4 years ago now. I was married and lived in Red Head. I had a house with my husband and 2 children. He left me all of a sudden 5 weeks before I was to give birth. At the time, i didnt have to work because he made enough money to support us all, but i worked part time at Speigel. When he left, I had nothing to fall back on. In the mean time, i couldnt live in our home, he started to renovate the bathroom and wouldnt finish it so i could live in it. I had the baby and had to move myself and 3 kids into my parents house for 4 months.....with no money besides my family allowance. At that time i wasnt getting much because my husband was making too much money. I ended up going on income assistance and to this day im still collecting it, unfortunately. Its not my choice. My cheque was only $530 while i lived at home. If you live with family, they take something like $200 something off your check. I still had to pay them rent and buy things for the kids. It was hard since i was used to my husband making almost $50,000 a year. My income now is $11,000. Its not my goal to stay this way. I have been trying ever since before my husband left, to go back to school. I even went to the north end center to take upgrading to better my marks so i would be accepted into NBCC. I wanted to take the LPN course. After applying for 3 years in a row and being put on waiting lists, i decided to move on to something else. This past September, I applied for the PSW course at CompuCollege. To my surprise, I got accepted!! The next battle was the student loan. I had a student loan back in 1994 and went to school, but I ended up having to have emergency surgery and was out for 6 weeks. I ended up going back just to have them tell me that i couldnt go back without applying again for another student loan. I couldnt do that. At the time the loan was for $4800 and now its up to $6800. I havent been able to pay on it since my husband left.

Anyway, I got my son registered for daycare, got my supplies that i needed for scool and then found out from student loan that they wouldnt give me one. My name is on the restriction list. Let me remind you that its been 14 years since i got the first loan. So, back in January i received this letter stating that there was loan money sitting for me at CompuCollege in the amount of $3500. That was half my tuition. I was able to get funding through Skills Training and Developement and they would pay half my tuition, all of my books and all of my childcare expenses. I only had to come up with a total of $3500, but then i found out that i was given a $2000 bursary so i only needed a loan of $1500!!! That was a miracle. After contacting the school about the loan, she told me that she would look into it and call me in a few days. She called just to tell me that there was a mix-up and they shouldnt have sent me the money. She told me that the student loan people would call and explain it to me in the next few days. Well, they called and told me they were sorry, but they couldnt give me the money. I told her i didnt need the whole $3500. I only needed $1500. She told me to borrow it from a friend or a family member. If i had that option, i wouldve done that in the first place.
Anyway, my point is this.....im a single, 35 year old mother of 3 boys aged 16, 14 and 4 and living on welfare is not my goal. I want to make $50,000 a year, have my own house, travel, supply my kids needs. I am not taking advantage of the system, nor am i dirty. People tell me that my kids need to live, but my house looks like its never been lived in. Im intelligent, im punctual, i have goals, im a positive person, but here i am in a rut and cant get out, just because of $1500!!!! I actually called Ed Dortery (spelling??) who is the minister of education and explained things to them and was told they would look into it for me and still no calls from them either.

My next step is to write a letter to the editor in the newspaper. Im tired of being on the system. There isnt enough help for those who want to get off it!! Im at a stand still and I dont know what to do about it.

I get my rent subsidized and so my rent is less, but they also lower your cheque so you dont get as much either. I do agree with what you say about how its not fair to everyone, especially to those who have to pay higher rents. We all should have to pay the same. I also do not drink, smoke or party. I am a Christian. I even pay my tithes at church when i cant afford to.

If there is any help out there for me, trust me, i would jump at the chance. If any of you know what i should do, feel free to let me know. :)

donteatrawpotatoes
05-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Well, I must say a few things on this subject. My story goes back 4 years ago now. I was married and lived in Red Head. I had a house with my husband and 2 children. He left me all of a sudden 5 weeks before I was to give birth. At the time, i didnt have to work because he made enough money to support us all, but i worked part time at Speigel. When he left, I had nothing to fall back on. In the mean time, i couldnt live in our home, he started to renovate the bathroom and wouldnt finish it so i could live in it. I had the baby and had to move myself and 3 kids into my parents house for 4 months.....with no money besides my family allowance. At that time i wasnt getting much because my husband was making too much money. I ended up going on income assistance and to this day im still collecting it, unfortunately. Its not my choice. My cheque was only $530 while i lived at home. If you live with family, they take something like $200 something off your check. I still had to pay them rent and buy things for the kids. It was hard since i was used to my husband making almost $50,000 a year. My income now is $11,000. Its not my goal to stay this way. I have been trying ever since before my husband left, to go back to school. I even went to the north end center to take upgrading to better my marks so i would be accepted into NBCC. I wanted to take the LPN course. After applying for 3 years in a row and being put on waiting lists, i decided to move on to something else. This past September, I applied for the PSW course at CompuCollege. To my surprise, I got accepted!! The next battle was the student loan. I had a student loan back in 1994 and went to school, but I ended up having to have emergency surgery and was out for 6 weeks. I ended up going back just to have them tell me that i couldnt go back without applying again for another student loan. I couldnt do that. At the time the loan was for $4800 and now its up to $6800. I havent been able to pay on it since my husband left.

Anyway, I got my son registered for daycare, got my supplies that i needed for scool and then found out from student loan that they wouldnt give me one. My name is on the restriction list. Let me remind you that its been 14 years since i got the first loan. So, back in January i received this letter stating that there was loan money sitting for me at CompuCollege in the amount of $3500. That was half my tuition. I was able to get funding through Skills Training and Developement and they would pay half my tuition, all of my books and all of my childcare expenses. I only had to come up with a total of $3500, but then i found out that i was given a $2000 bursary so i only needed a loan of $1500!!! That was a miracle. After contacting the school about the loan, she told me that she would look into it and call me in a few days. She called just to tell me that there was a mix-up and they shouldnt have sent me the money. She told me that the student loan people would call and explain it to me in the next few days. Well, they called and told me they were sorry, but they couldnt give me the money. I told her i didnt need the whole $3500. I only needed $1500. She told me to borrow it from a friend or a family member. If i had that option, i wouldve done that in the first place.
Anyway, my point is this.....im a single, 35 year old mother of 3 boys aged 16, 14 and 4 and living on welfare is not my goal. I want to make $50,000 a year, have my own house, travel, supply my kids needs. I am not taking advantage of the system, nor am i dirty. People tell me that my kids need to live, but my house looks like its never been lived in. Im intelligent, im punctual, i have goals, im a positive person, but here i am in a rut and cant get out, just because of $1500!!!! I actually called Ed Dortery (spelling??) who is the minister of education and explained things to them and was told they would look into it for me and still no calls from them either.

My next step is to write a letter to the editor in the newspaper. Im tired of being on the system. There isnt enough help for those who want to get off it!! Im at a stand still and I dont know what to do about it.

I get my rent subsidized and so my rent is less, but they also lower your cheque so you dont get as much either. I do agree with what you say about how its not fair to everyone, especially to those who have to pay higher rents. We all should have to pay the same. I also do not drink, smoke or party. I am a Christian. I even pay my tithes at church when i cant afford to.

If there is any help out there for me, trust me, i would jump at the chance. If any of you know what i should do, feel free to let me know. :)

I would say get a job, go to low income assistance for childcare, and gouge your ex for alimony and back child support :D

mizunderstood
05-05-2008, 05:26 PM

Are you currently working? IF not have you considered going into home health care? You can take your HSW, and PSW through the company for little or nothing. Most companies will reimburse tuition or whatever. Also since all that is holding you back is 1500.00 could you not save a couple dollars a month, and I am sure that you can pay in payments, also look into other grants, bursaries, scholarships, etc. Also working on campus (bookstore, cafe, library, they usually will use your hrs towards payment on tuition something to look into) Also as another poster mentioned child care would be paid while you work, so thatr would definatly make it worth working, where there is a will, there is a way.... Trust me... I have been there, done that, got the T-shirt... Good luck, pm me if you want more info on these things..

Kristee
05-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Alot of people have to take drug testing to be able to work in certain places, Maybe people who are recieving Income Assistance should have to do the same. I'm not saying that everyone who gets IA is on drugs but there are a few and thats what they spend their money on, which is not what the money is intended for.

~Butterfly~
05-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Alot of people have to take drug testing to be able to work in certain places, Maybe people who are recieving Income Assistance should have to do the same. I'm not saying that everyone who gets IA is on drugs but there are a few and thats what they spend their money on, which is not what the money is intended for.

that would be a good point Kristee except, if a person on assistance tells them they are a drug user or boozer they get more money. apparently they get more money to make sure after they buy drugs or booze they can still pay their bills....what a load of crap!!grrr

mizunderstood
05-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Please guys and gals, lets not turn this into a welfare bashing thread, there have been enough of them already on here, and I am sure that is not the intention of the original poster....

inuit
05-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Kristajoy, you said you only needed 1500 dollars to go to school. There is one pace you haven't tried. You said you were a church goer. Why not ask your church? If you are serious and are an upstanding church going person you might be surprised. Many churches do help their flock.

As a point of intrest, the Mormon church followers do not go on welfare. The church provides for it's faithful until they are able to get back on their feet. They find church work for them to do and pay them, that's how they help. No welfare, no hunger. Sounds really good, pity that church has such bad name due to a few bad apples.

I agree with potatoes, get your child support from the ex.

Miz has a point too. If you work at a care agency or childcare, they do help you to upgrade you education.Besides it's much easier to get into N.B.C.C. if you are already working in the field.

Kristee
05-08-2008, 04:27 PM
I was not trying to bash, trust me.. IA was there for me when I needed it as a young mom who was trying to get through school, I now have a great job, husband and 3 children. I'm sure a lot of people will agree that we just get a little frustrated when there are some people getting AI who clearly abuse the system... but thats not what the original post was about I understand.

donteatrawpotatoes
05-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I was really shocked to learn how much child care they might cover. you can make a really good living for yourself, well an ok one at least :D

http://www.gnb.ca/0017/ELCC/brochure-e.pdf

mizunderstood
05-08-2008, 11:04 PM
As a point of intrest, the Mormon church followers do not go on welfare. The church provides for it's faithful until they are able to get back on their feet. They find church work for them to do and pay them, that's how they help. No welfare, no hunger. Sounds really good, pity that church has such bad name due to a few bad apples.

hmmmm.... I wonder who you are referring to there.... FLDS in Texas maybe??? Seems to me that those mormons took welfare....sorry, just had to point that out...lol.. have a good night!
p.s. Kristajoy, if you are looking for work, that will pay for education pm me... I can give you some info...

kristajoy
05-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Actually, i have tried the church for money. They have paid my hydro a couple times in the last 4 years. They have supplied me with food and Christmas boxes when I needed it, but they cannot pay my education. Half the congregation would run to them for that. Anyway, they have a summer student that they hire every summer to work for them and they are paid through a summer grant from the government. I have looked into that option.

My kids fathers do pay a little bit in child support, but i dont see it because i collect income assistance, so that goes to the government. It wouldnt be enough to get me off assistance anyway. It would be nice though. See, if i was married, i could go work in a call center and be able to support a family if my husband was working as well. I would have to make at least 15-20 dollars an hour, 40plus hours a week in order to support the kids. If it was just me, it wouldnt be a problem. This really sucks. Im in a rut and cant get out....or maybe i just dont know who to contact. I have talked to my case worker and all he does is just encourages me to work and that they can help me with a resume. They dont push it. I want something to be done. Its terrible and Im sure Im not the only one who is going through something like this. Thanks for all your advice. I will take all I can get.

sanstu
05-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Try doing it on your own. Be inventive, get out and work at a call center until it's time for school. Cut back on your expenses, make sure you have accessed all programs available. If there's a will, there's a way. I guess at this point it's up to you to change your destiny. Good luck.

donteatrawpotatoes
05-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Actually, i have tried the church for money. They have paid my hydro a couple times in the last 4 years. They have supplied me with food and Christmas boxes when I needed it, but they cannot pay my education. Half the congregation would run to them for that. Anyway, they have a summer student that they hire every summer to work for them and they are paid through a summer grant from the government. I have looked into that option.

My kids fathers do pay a little bit in child support, but i dont see it because i collect income assistance, so that goes to the government. It wouldnt be enough to get me off assistance anyway. It would be nice though. See, if i was married, i could go work in a call center and be able to support a family if my husband was working as well. I would have to make at least 15-20 dollars an hour, 40plus hours a week in order to support the kids. If it was just me, it wouldnt be a problem. This really sucks. Im in a rut and cant get out....or maybe i just dont know who to contact. I have talked to my case worker and all he does is just encourages me to work and that they can help me with a resume. They dont push it. I want something to be done. Its terrible and Im sure Im not the only one who is going through something like this. Thanks for all your advice. I will take all I can get.

Seriously check out that child care link I posted a couple links up :) they will pretty much pay for everything. They don't take your child tax benefit into consideration when deciding the childcare assistance they'll give you.

If I had known about that sooner, I'd have gone to school much sooner. Get a job for a while. I'm going to school, and we (family of 4) live on a call center job, pay $800 a month rent, and have two loans (totaling $300 a month) It can certainly be done.

mizunderstood
05-09-2008, 03:14 PM

You want to know what to do??? Get off your butt, and stop waiting for others to show you, tell you, help you, make you, get out there on your own... If you WANT something to be done, the only one that can do it is YOU! Trust me, I am not being mean, I have been there, I was on assistance at one point for a few months, but you know what??? I did it, I got off it, I am working FULL TIME PLUS (this week I have 82 hrs) and I am a single mom! Also future education that I take will be partially funded by skills loans and grants, and also through my employer. I will have to pay little to nothign out of pocket. Stop telling yourself you can't do this, or you can't do that... You can do it... Get a job in homecare for now, if you want to become an LPN. The companies will pay for you to go to school, plus you get a foot in the door with that too, and also if your working in homecare while taking your LPN course, they can count those hours as part of your work placements!...(I can give you a couple names of homecare places that are hiring like CRAZY we are in desperate need of people at our company)
As far as you being a single mom, and saying you would ned a 15-20$ an hr job to be worth working. Get over that idea now, because you have no training, or education so that is not going to happen... Get out there and change that... I am the only income in my home, I have 2 young kids. I make 9.50 an hr doing homecare. And I can afford to pay my bills. (Just barely but still) THere is no excuse for you not to be out working... Get your feet under you, and do it, you can do anything you want to do, the question is DO YOU WANT TO DO IT?
Again I am not trying to sound harsh, and I totally do understand your situation. Been there, done that, got teh T-shirt. But YOU are the only one keeping yourself on assistance. Not your owrker, the system, or whatever other excuse you want. If you want to be off it, then get out and do something about it, you are the only one in charge of your own destiny, and your kids are growing up seeing a mom that is "choosing" to not work. You can do it, I know you can. Where there is a will there is a way....
Oh and BTW, I am curious who your worker is... Is his initals P.R? by any chance, because if it is, he is absolutly no help getting off assistance. He actually told me at one point that I would be better off staying on welfare until my kids were in school!!! CAN YOU IMAGINE???

p.s. wanted to add that I have both my kids in daycare and I pay very little for it, it is covered through income assitance. You might not even have to pay anything at all to have childcare for your kids. THAT would make it worth working at least wouldn't it??? All your income would be going INTO the home, rather than working to pay for childcare....

MichelleM
05-09-2008, 09:00 PM
You want to know what to do??? Get off your butt, and stop waiting for others to show you, tell you, help you, make you, get out there on your own... If you WANT something to be done, the only one that can do it is YOU! Trust me, I am not being mean, I have been there, I was on assistance at one point for a few months, but you know what??? I did it, I got off it, I am working FULL TIME PLUS (this week I have 82 hrs) and I am a single mom! Also future education that I take will be partially funded by skills loans and grants, and also through my employer. I will have to pay little to nothign out of pocket. Stop telling yourself you can't do this, or you can't do that... You can do it... Get a job in homecare for now, if you want to become an LPN. The companies will pay for you to go to school, plus you get a foot in the door with that too, and also if your working in homecare while taking your LPN course, they can count those hours as part of your work placements!...(I can give you a couple names of homecare places that are hiring like CRAZY we are in desperate need of people at our company)
As far as you being a single mom, and saying you would ned a 15-20$ an hr job to be worth working. Get over that idea now, because you have no training, or education so that is not going to happen... Get out there and change that... I am the only income in my home, I have 2 young kids. I make 9.50 an hr doing homecare. And I can afford to pay my bills. (Just barely but still) THere is no excuse for you not to be out working... Get your feet under you, and do it, you can do anything you want to do, the question is DO YOU WANT TO DO IT?
Again I am not trying to sound harsh, and I totally do understand your situation. Been there, done that, got teh T-shirt. But YOU are the only one keeping yourself on assistance. Not your owrker, the system, or whatever other excuse you want. If you want to be off it, then get out and do something about it, you are the only one in charge of your own destiny, and your kids are growing up seeing a mom that is "choosing" to not work. You can do it, I know you can. Where there is a will there is a way....
Oh and BTW, I am curious who your worker is... Is his initals P.R? by any chance, because if it is, he is absolutly no help getting off assistance. He actually told me at one point that I would be better off staying on welfare until my kids were in school!!! CAN YOU IMAGINE???

p.s. wanted to add that I have both my kids in daycare and I pay very little for it, it is covered through income assitance. You might not even have to pay anything at all to have childcare for your kids. THAT would make it worth working at least wouldn't it??? All your income would be going INTO the home, rather than working to pay for childcare....

I agree with you completely.

A couple points for kristajoy:
I wanted to point out that the point made about having to make $15-$20 an hr is crazy. A full time job in even a call center is more in a month than welfare is, especially if they are paying for the childcare.The only difference is that you are actually working for the money rather than having it given to you.

Also, $1500 is not that much money if you really want to go to school. You are allowed to make $200 a month on welfare. Get a job for a couple hrs a month. In less than 8 months you will have the money that you need.

kristajoy
05-10-2008, 07:12 AM
mizunderstood, I totally hear what you are saying. I have been trying for the last 4 years to try and better myself. I have done the upgrading, i have talked to councellors, i have had job interviews......i tried going back to Eddie Bauer, but they wont hire me back. When i left there, i was 9 months pregnant and had missed a lot of time the last few months....i shouldve been in bed by the doctors orders, but i choose to keep going. My workers initials are JT. He said that he would help me do up a resume and help with childcare so i know that wouldnt be a problem. I could go and work full time, just like you, but i can only make $200 a month and after that, they deduct dollar for dollar. I do odd jobs for my dad cleaning apartments when tenants move out and i also clean the building. I am also still on the payroll for ComCare. I have worked for them for 8 years off and on and they wont help with any kind of education. I have worked in the hospital sitting with surgery patients, i worked in a senior home in Hampton, i worked privately for a couple for 2 years...its not that i cant find work, this is all about education with me. I was told to borrow the money from someone, well, i dont know of a single soul that would lend me $20 let alone over a $1000!!!! Yes, i could start saving my own money....$20 here and there, but by the time i get enough saved, i wont have the help of skills, training and development anymore. My time is almost up to qualifiy for that. You said that you knew of companies that would pay for education in the healthcare field. Can you tell me who? I would appreciate that. As of you being able to pay your bills......well that is irrelivant. Everyone has different amounts of bills to pay. Maybe you have more than me, i dont know, but i have like 5 different insurances to pay, a car, rent......we actually live on about $50-$75 a week on groceries and there are 4 of us .....i have 3 boys remember, so thats not much to eat for a week. I visit the foodbanks once a month as well. Not by choice either. I do it for the boys, not me.

livkat
05-10-2008, 08:47 AM
mizunderstood, I totally hear what you are saying. I have been trying for the last 4 years to try and better myself. I have done the upgrading, i have talked to councellors, i have had job interviews......i tried going back to Eddie Bauer, but they wont hire me back. When i left there, i was 9 months pregnant and had missed a lot of time the last few months....i shouldve been in bed by the doctors orders, but i choose to keep going. My workers initials are JT. He said that he would help me do up a resume and help with childcare so i know that wouldnt be a problem. I could go and work full time, just like you, but i can only make $200 a month and after that, they deduct dollar for dollar. I do odd jobs for my dad cleaning apartments when tenants move out and i also clean the building. I am also still on the payroll for ComCare. I have worked for them for 8 years off and on and they wont help with any kind of education. I have worked in the hospital sitting with surgery patients, i worked in a senior home in Hampton, i worked privately for a couple for 2 years...its not that i cant find work, this is all about education with me. I was told to borrow the money from someone, well, i dont know of a single soul that would lend me $20 let alone over a $1000!!!! Yes, i could start saving my own money....$20 here and there, but by the time i get enough saved, i wont have the help of skills, training and development anymore. My time is almost up to qualifiy for that. You said that you knew of companies that would pay for education in the healthcare field. Can you tell me who? I would appreciate that. As of you being able to pay your bills......well that is irrelivant. Everyone has different amounts of bills to pay. Maybe you have more than me, i dont know, but i have like 5 different insurances to pay, a car, rent......we actually live on about $50-$75 a week on groceries and there are 4 of us .....i have 3 boys remember, so thats not much to eat for a week. I visit the foodbanks once a month as well. Not by choice either. I do it for the boys, not me.
Well maybe if your on IA, you shouldn't have a car, thats a luxury. Use the bus, it's cheaper, and you don't have to pay insurance. Also there are many jobs out there that pay well and don't require a post secondary education. Also, yes you can only make $ 200 month , but if you went to work full time you would not get an IA cheque, so no money would be deducted. You would still be entitled to your health cards as well.

sanstu
05-10-2008, 09:35 AM
kristajoy, want 1500.00 for school, sell your car! Problem solved

donteatrawpotatoes
05-10-2008, 10:48 AM

how are you paying these bills now?

mizunderstood
05-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Thank you sanstu. Your comment means a lot to me. I know the rough road that I have travelled, and still travel every day. Every day is a struggle, but I know in the end it will be worth it. I just see kristajoy where I was 3 years ago, the same excuses, the same desperation, the loss of hope. I hope she knows that it is possible. There are dozens of ways to get your education at little to no cost. Kristajoy, again, I did not mean to come across as harsh, I just know where your at, and until YOU do something about your situation, you will always be in this situaion.

What I want people to think about is that in the past 20 years, welfare in saint john has become a way of life. 25+years ago, you could not get welfare, it was impossible (well almost) and when you did get it, it was so low that you could not "live" off it. My parents applied for assistance once when I was a baby. WE had a huge house fire, everything was lost, mom and dad had no money for anything, and here I was a 6 week old baby, no clothes, food diapers etc. And pay day for them was like 3 weeks away. They went to welfare and asked for some help to get through until insurance came in or until payday came around, do you know what welfare gave them to last 2 adults and 1 baby??? 14.00!!! Can u imagine???
The people on assistance today should thank their lucky stars that the times have changed. Because if you had been around 25 years earlier looking for a handout, you would not have gotten it, they would have told you go get a job! And unfortunatly I agree with that. If you can work, go work. If you can't work (illness, disability etc) then you should be automatically approved for a check. Though I think the term disability needs to be examined. I know 20 year old able bodied men and women that are collecting a disability check. And the only thing that makes them disabled is that they have anger issues... Come on..
Kristajoy, if you would like info on where to go, or who to talk to about jobs, school, loans, daycare or anything else please feel free to pm me... Best of luck...

kristajoy
05-11-2008, 07:56 AM
The reason why i commented on this thread wasnt to get people to feel sorry for me or to make excuses of any kind as to why i shouldnt be working. I was commenting on the system and how there is nowhere to turn to if you want an education. I know I can get a job at a call center somewhere, but the thing is, is that they wont pay for you to get into the health care career. Maybe working for an agency, but like i said....im still on the payroll for an agency. I could sell my car, but its in my dads name and it was to help me build up some credit since i dont have any. A bus would add up to the same amount as running a car the way i have to use it. As the price of gas goes up, the boys have been taking the bus to town, etc. As of paying my bills, well nothing is ever paid in full, my hydro was just disconnected the first of April ...i had to pay them in full so i did, but other things werent paid and i didnt get any groceries. Had to go to the food bank and eat at my parents place. It sucks for sure. Everyone has their own opinion and i understand that, but everyones situation is different. Oh.......i could sell the car, but i wouldnt get enough out of it to make anything.....i would still be in the hole.

rhiley_08j
05-11-2008, 10:14 AM
I have stayed out of this thread for the most part because I don't like the way these welfare threads tend to go but I need to say something. Everyone keeps saying that the system is holding them down. The system is only meant to be a temporary fix in a time when you are down financially. It is not meant as a lifestyle. If the resources that a person needs are not available through the system than that means that they will have to do it without the system. For those of us that cannot get student loans and wish to pursue our education than we need to have a job and save up little by little until we have enough to pursue our goals. Same goes for any other financial goals that we might have, whether it be a car, an expensive tv, or whatever it is. If we do not have the credit to afford these things than we must save up. That's the way life works.

inuit
05-11-2008, 10:20 AM
It's really a shame. Back in the eighties and even into the nineties, welfare used to pay for your education if you wanted to get off welfare. One woman I knew, they even paid a taxi to take her to and from St. Andrews C.C. from St. Stephen daily for a course.

The problem is as it always is. Many bad apples. People used to say they wanted an education so welfare would shell out all this money for them to go to school and the people would either not finish the course, fail out on purpose or if they did finish still not go to work at it. Spoiled it for the ones who truly wanted to better themselves. You really can't blame welfare for that. That was costing a lot of money. The ones who really got hurt are the ones now who genuinely want an education.

There used to be other programs out there too for people who wanted to get off welfare but over the years people have abused it to the point where the programs are long gone.

I know a single mother of two who welfare sent to three different courses at C.C. Each time when the course was almost finished she'd get strangely ill and not finish or be strangely so ill as to miss so much of the courses, the school would kick her out. There was nothing wrong with her and every weekend would find her in bars but too sick to go to school. These are the ones who ruined it for everyone. Really sucks.

Eventuall this is what will happen with the welfare system too I think. The ones who will really suffer are the ones who really need welfare. Same as the ones who suffer from the failure of the other programs are the ones who would have really used it. Just my 2 cents.

kristajoy
05-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I totally agree that welfare is supposed to be for a temporary time. Its not supposed to be a way of life and i know it has for many. This is one thing that im not proud to say im on whatsoever!!! It sucks big time!! Like i have said before. I could go out, work full time, make about $300 more a month than what im getting now. I could do that for a year and have childcare taken care of, keep my health card and my low rent. After a year, then im on my own. That means i will be making, or should i say 'bringing home' about $1100 a month and out of that i would have to pay for a daycare, my own precriptions, etc. My rent would go back up to $660 a month without heat and lights and then i would end up quitting because it wouldnt be enough. The thing is this......i dont want a call center job.....i want a career. Who stays at call centers for more than 5 years or so? Not too many. I was there for about 3 and was out on stress leave 2 times that left me in hospital. Im sure there are others out there like me, but really....i have done my homework, i have talked to about 20 different people in the last few years and i keep going back to square one, then i start over again. This is definitely not fun for me. The only other thing i can see is that when my parents pass away, then i will be able to afford an education......by then i may be too old for someone to hire me anyway. Sad!!!

livkat
05-12-2008, 12:16 PM
I totally agree that welfare is supposed to be for a temporary time. Its not supposed to be a way of life and i know it has for many. This is one thing that im not proud to say im on whatsoever!!! It sucks big time!! Like i have said before. I could go out, work full time, make about $300 more a month than what im getting now. I could do that for a year and have childcare taken care of, keep my health card and my low rent. After a year, then im on my own. That means i will be making, or should i say 'bringing home' about $1100 a month and out of that i would have to pay for a daycare, my own precriptions, etc. My rent would go back up to $660 a month without heat and lights and then i would end up quitting because it wouldnt be enough. The thing is this......i dont want a call center job.....i want a career. Who stays at call centers for more than 5 years or so? Not too many. I was there for about 3 and was out on stress leave 2 times that left me in hospital. Im sure there are others out there like me, but really....i have done my homework, i have talked to
about 20 different people in the last few years and i keep going back to square one, then i start over again. This is definitely not fun for me. The only other thing i can see is that when my parents pass away, then i will be able to afford an education......by then i may be too old for someone to hire me anyway. Sad!!!
No, what is sad is your last comment about when your parents pass away!:( Also I don't know who told you that you lose your childcare and health cards after a year, but that is false. Also IA does top up your wages if need be.

Tania
05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
I totally agree that welfare is supposed to be for a temporary time. Its not supposed to be a way of life and i know it has for many. This is one thing that im not proud to say im on whatsoever!!! It sucks big time!! Like i have said before. I could go out, work full time, make about $300 more a month than what im getting now. I could do that for a year and have childcare taken care of, keep my health card and my low rent. After a year, then im on my own. That means i will be making, or should i say 'bringing home' about $1100 a month and out of that i would have to pay for a daycare, my own precriptions, etc. My rent would go back up to $660 a month without heat and lights and then i would end up quitting because it wouldnt be enough. The thing is this......i dont want a call center job.....i want a career. Who stays at call centers for more than 5 years or so? Not too many. I was there for about 3 and was out on stress leave 2 times that left me in hospital. Im sure there are others out there like me, but really....i have done my homework, i have talked to about 20 different people in the last few years and i keep going back to square one, then i start over again. This is definitely not fun for me. The only other thing i can see is that when my parents pass away, then i will be able to afford an education......by then i may be too old for someone to hire me anyway. Sad!!!

NB has a wonderful thing.. It's called the Daycare Assistance Program.. It practically pays for your daycare if you qualify and your children are in a n approved daycare facility if not and you need private daycare they will still help... Skills and Training will help those at times:D I'm sorry but I'm a single mom of three YOUNG children and I still get up off my ass every single morning and get that chunky ass off to work.... and you know what?? I don't make much more then a person on welfare but I'm teaching my girls the value of earning a dollar... Welfare should be a temporary fix.. don't get me wrong I've had to fall on it a few times myself. But it was always just for a month or a few at the most. If your capable of working there's no excuse DO IT!!! I worked at a Call center just this fall waiting for something better to come around and this was after I finished a two year college course. It wasn't my "career" it was how I fed my kids.. You do what you gotta do.. I am now working in my field and I know things will get better as I climb the rank.. but Welfare doesn't have a rank you can climb.. it's dead end!

livkat
05-12-2008, 12:55 PM
NB has a wonderful thing.. It's called the Daycare Assistance Program.. It practically pays for your daycare if you qualify and your children are in a n approved daycare facility if not and you need private daycare they will still help... Skills and Training will help those at times:D I'm sorry but I'm a single mom of three YOUNG children and I still get up off my ass every single morning and get that chunky ass off to work.... and you know what?? I don't make much more then a person on welfare but I'm teaching my girls the value of earning a dollar... Welfare should be a temporary fix.. don't get me wrong I've had to fall on it a few times myself. But it was always just for a month or a few at the most. If your capable of working there's no excuse DO IT!!! I worked at a Call center just this fall waiting for something better to come around and this was after I finished a two year college course. It wasn't my "career" it was how I fed my kids.. You do what you gotta do.. I am now working in my field and I know things will get better as I climb the rank.. but Welfare
doesn't have a rank you can climb.. it's dead end!
Well said tania! Good for you:D :D

donteatrawpotatoes
05-12-2008, 12:56 PM

$300 extra a month, times 12 months =3600, well on your way to school.

Tania
05-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Well said donteatrawpotatoes and livkat thank you.. I struggled but I'm better for it.. I didn't spend my life making "excuses" and I'm proud of myself for that..

01_neon_rider
05-12-2008, 05:06 PM
No, what is sad is your last comment about when your parents pass away!:( Also I don't know who told you that you lose your childcare and health cards after a year, but that is false. Also IA does top up your wages if need be.

Yea I was also told that they will let you keep your health cards until you get your own insurance through your work, and theres all kinds of help for child care too.

mizunderstood
05-12-2008, 05:16 PM
neon rider you are exactly correct. You don't lose your funding after a year, you qualify for it as long as the need is there.

rhiley_08j
05-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Yea I was also told that they will let you keep your health cards until you get your own insurance through your work, and theres all kinds of help for child care too.

Will they provide health cards for those who are not relying on the system, and have no health coverage? The answer is no. Where is the fairness and equality in that?

donteatrawpotatoes
05-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Will they provide health cards for those who are not relying on the system, and have no health coverage? The answer is no. Where is the fairness and equality in that?

The answer to that is VERY simple... It's not fair at all.

Triple J
05-12-2008, 06:00 PM
That is the biggest problem!!! I went in there in the past for only health care cards the lady practically spat NO at me! but had I NOT been working all of our needs would have been met. So enjoy your prescription cards. I will try not to eat so much this month while I pay for MY healthcare out of pocket and yours too.

Also if some parents get their children put in daycare ( taking up spots) while they do nothing all day ( they says they are stresses out) IA pays for thart.too

01_neon_rider
05-12-2008, 11:21 PM
neon rider you are exactly correct. You don't lose your funding after a year, you qualify for it as long as the need is there.

Thank You Mizunderstood!!
I was told this by a case worker at Family and Community Services less then 3 months ago. As long as you make under a certain amount they will let you keep your coverage until you get insurance.

Tania
05-13-2008, 07:25 AM
There is no fairness in the system. Point Blank. Single parents work their asses off to make ends meet and what pisses me off is people on IA driving practically new cars when mine is rusted and falling to bits.

And if you start working and depending on income you can possibly still get some benefits from IA.

I think paying for a sitter while a parent is "stressed out" is ridiculous. I raised my three girls alone, worked full time, not at one job but when I'm done my 8 to 5er i head home for the job that starts at 5:30 to 7:30 amish.
I do rely on the New Brunswick ChildCare program. I'm not ashamed to say that. Because I'm proud that I can get out there and work and not have to worry about childcare.. I am praying one day I'll be able to pay for it on my own then I'll know I MADE IT lol

Til then I'll keep doing what I'm doing. :D

kristajoy
05-13-2008, 07:33 AM
I would really like to know some names of where you guys get your information. I have talked to 2 different people at IA and have been told the same thing everytime and have been running in circles for years now!! You are all making me sound like im having a pitty party for myself. This is stuff i have been working on for a VERY long time now. What i have told you, is the same things that they have told me. I havent worked so much at something in all my life. No one knows me and what i have done to try and get out of it. Im not happy doing this. I want to work, but im not going to do something that i dont have a passion for. Like i said, i have already dont the call center thing, i have applied at 2 other centers who wont hire me because of my record when i worked at Speigel, so now what? I have applied for 2 receptionists jobs, but being able to type 60 words a minute isnt enough. How do you get the experience without the job? Every situation is different and i wish people would stop saying you were in my shoes.

Tania
05-13-2008, 07:40 AM
Have you by any chance collected EI in the last few *can't remember how many* years?? If you have then I suggest you get down to skills and training and they will help you get to school... Pay you well while your studying..

Also I want you to know that alot of us have been there.. struggling when there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel.. It's how you choose to reach that light that makes the difference..

inuit
05-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Take heart Kristajoy, there really is light at the end of the tunnel. Just with so many twists and turns, it's hard to see.

Do you know that within every ten years of your life, your circumstances change completly. So whatever you are going through right now, it will change.Good or bad.

01_neon_rider
05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
kristajoy, I most certainly am not trying to make it sound like you are throwing a "pity party" for yourself. What I was trying to do was share the information with you that I have been given.
I understand not wanting to work a dead end job for the rest of your life, no one else does either. Thats why i racked up 10,000 dollars worth of student loans in 9 months which is why I was at IA getting a case worker to look at my resume and he was the one who gave me my information about childcare, health coverage renting to own and so on.

kristajoy
05-13-2008, 12:38 PM
I know that circumstances can change over night too. The thing is, is that i have tried every route that everyone is talking about. It gets me nowhere except back to square one. Just to let you know as well, I talked to a girl named Natalie Thompson today who works with Skills, Training and Development and if I am working full time, they wont help me financially. I do remember them telling me that 4 years ago too, but i forgot about it. I have to have a claim open and i have 5 years to go back to school from when the time i opened up a claim and that will be 5 years in February. Which doesnt exactly leave me lots of time to raise the money. I would also like to say something to the person that was sad about my comment about my parents passing away. I didnt say that because i want my parents to die so i can have their money. I was saying that seems to be my only option in the future. I would have them around forever if i could.

Tania
05-13-2008, 01:23 PM
I went to skills and training after my maturnity leave.. I had no job in SJ *after moving here from Up north* and had no means, no skills and was about to go on IA... I went and talked with Joe Trainer at Skills and Training and he had my funding to go back to school *compucollege* within three days.. God bless him he was an angel and did everything he could to help me through the two years I was in school.

if your on IA right now I'm almost sure you'd qualify.. I don't know how they could say No to you when it's within the five years since you were on EI.. Now you have no skills, no job and are IA.. I don't see them saying no..

kristajoy
05-13-2008, 01:57 PM
I have already been approved by Skills Training and Development. My problem is getting student loan money. I was accepted into CompuCollege and i thought i had the student loan too. They sent the money to the college and it sat there for 2 months and not one person called to tell me about it. I got a letter in the mail so thats how i found out about it. When i called to talk to Myrna Smith, she looked into it for me and got a hold of me a few days later just to tell me that they sent me student loan money by mistake. They had sent me $3500 and all i needed was $1500, but they wouldnt negotiate with me at all. They told me that my name was taken off restriction by error. It had happened to 3 other people that same day. I had childcare in place, books purchased and everything. I was excited, but then i got that call from Myrna. It sucks. This just happened this past January too. Also with STDevelopment, they said that if i was working full time that i would no longer have an EI claim open so that would ruin my chances at getting funding from them.

Tania
05-13-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't know why they wouldn't give you the money.. I could tell ya a few choice words about some of the faculty at CC.. lol

rhiley_08j
05-13-2008, 03:42 PM
I wish you all the best kristajoy but if I can make a suggestion, your efforts might be better suited pursuing an education elsewhere from CompuCollege... the money that you spend there is more than you would spend at NBCC and you will certainly end up with a better position if you go to NBCC or a school similar.

Tania
05-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Not necessarily true.. I have a fantastic position and I went there.. but I must agree on the $$$ though it is a pricy school to attend..

sanstu
05-13-2008, 04:56 PM
I wish you all the best kristajoy but if I can make a suggestion, your efforts might be better suited pursuing an education elsewhere from CompuCollege... the money that you spend there is more than you would spend at NBCC and you will certainly end up with a better position if you go to NBCC or a school similar.

:D Totally agree with you rhiley.

kristajoy
05-14-2008, 07:37 AM
The only reason why i was going to go to CC was because I had applied for like 4 years in a row to NBCC and cannot get accepted. I was so excited when i got accepted into CC so that was the only reason why i chose that place. It wasnt my first choice, by any means!! I dont know what it takes to get into that place anymore. Every year their rules and criteria change, so im lost now. Back in 2004 i was told by a councellor there to go and take upgrading, so off i went and did that at the north end center and that year i applied and still didnt get in. See, i have done all i have been told or recommended to do and i still cant get in! Its just very frustrating!!

sanstu
05-20-2008, 09:28 AM
I know that circumstances can change over night too. The thing is, is that i have tried every route that everyone is talking about. It gets me nowhere except back to square one. Just to let you know as well, I talked to a girl named Natalie Thompson today who works with Skills, Training and Development and if I am working full time, they wont help me financially. I do remember them telling me that 4 years ago too, but i forgot about it. I have to have a claim open and i have 5 years to go back to school from when the time i opened up a claim and that will be 5 years in February. Which doesnt exactly leave me lots of time to raise the money. I would also like to say something to the person that was sad about my comment about my parents passing away. I didnt say that because i want my parents to die so i can have their money. I was saying that seems to be my only option in the future. I would have them around forever if i could.

What you were told is correct. What you need is a layoff (and acceptance into the college program) prior to being accepted into the program. This can lead to a few stressfull weeks however the end result is well worth it. Keep trying, it's the squeeky wheel that gets the grease. (I believe that is how the program you mentioned works.)

newmommy
05-20-2008, 02:44 PM
i was living with my bfs mother when i had my first son in 2006 . she's works and me and my bf we getting IA . we were only getting about 600$ a month beacuse we were living with a parent! when we got our own apt we were getting 860 something a month or me my bf and our newborn son. now i have a 4 month old baby and my 16 month onld son and im still on IA and i get 950.00 a month with 2 kids and me and my bf. we broke up last summer and i moved back home and i was getting 535.00 a month for me and my son , because i lived with my mom. ur check goes down about 200$ if u live with a parent! my mom was renting to own a house and she was on IA. you can own a house , buy i car, own land about anything on IA beacuse they want you to get ahead in life. i know lots of landlords who wouldnt rent to me beacuse i was on welfare because they had problems with other people in the past. if i was a landlord i would rent to people on welfare because the welfare checks come out on the first so they will have the money for sure. if they spend it . well then kick them out!!! with my child tax benfit and my welfare check i get about 17,75 a month that pays for my food , rent , hydro,phone, 2 cells phone and cable! i spend my money wisely and i dont waste it! yeah times get hard sometimes . but i have a grade 8 education and i am waiting untill my kids are in school before i go back to school and same with my bf!

mizunderstood
05-20-2008, 02:59 PM
no offence newmommy, but you had one kid, with no education, no job, nothing, same with bf? What were you thinking making naother one while the tax payers are footing the bill for you to keep reproducing? And why would you be waiting until your kids go to school before you get yourself educated? That is foolish. Get an education, stop making babies for the tax payers to pay for, and get a job (both you and BF) There is no need for oyou guys to not support your own kids. You get 1,775 a month between the 2? That is NUTS. That is what I make working Full time plus! Get off your butt, stop making babies, stop making excuses, get an education and get a job! Is your mother disabled? Or medically cannot work? If not then why is she not out there working... I don't mean to be harsh newmommy, but it is situations like this that make people mad. Generations of welfare, people on it just keep reproducing instead of going out and bettering themselves! Get off welfare, get back to school, get an education, and get a job and support the kiddos that you have, rather than making the tax payers foot the bill for your carelessness!
I am sorry if that is harsh but honestly, come on now.

~Butterfly~
05-20-2008, 03:08 PM
i was living with my bfs mother when i had my first son in 2006 . she's works and me and my bf we getting IA . we were only getting about 600$ a month beacuse we were living with a parent! when we got our own apt we were getting 860 something a month or me my bf and our newborn son. now i have a 4 month old baby and my 16 month onld son and im still on IA and i get 950.00 a month with 2 kids and me and my bf. we broke up last summer and i moved back home and i was getting 535.00 a month for me and my son , because i lived with my mom. ur check goes down about 200$ if u live with a parent! my mom was renting to own a house and she was on IA. you can own a house , buy i car, own land about anything on IA beacuse they want you to get ahead in life. i know lots of landlords who wouldnt rent to me beacuse i was on welfare because they had problems with other people in the past. if i was a landlord i would rent to people on welfare because the welfare checks come out on the first so they will have the money for sure. if they spend it . well then kick them out!!! with my child tax benfit and my welfare check i get about 17,75 a month that pays for my food , rent , hydro,phone, 2 cells phone and cable! i spend my money wisely and i dont waste it! yeah times get hard sometimes . but i have a grade 8 education and i am waiting untill my kids are in school before i go back to school and same with my bf!

one quick question.....why isn't your boyfriend working? why is it that you are BOTH home on IA? this is the kind of situation that irks me, there is no need for 2 adults to stay home and get "free money". I have a funny suspicion that this will be your way of life forever and possibly your childrens as well. There is probably a good chance that your parents were on IA as well, (people who grew up on IA tend to follow the same path, not all but LOTS) Children do what they see, so do them a favor and change your lifestyle now. ONE of you can stay home and the other can go to school or work, nothing u say to this comment will change my mind....too many people with too many EXCUSES. my opinion!!

Tara
05-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Yep sorry but I went right back to school after I had my son and I was BARELY 18. Once he was about 1 I also went back to work (mind you I had a job where he could come with me). There is no excuse if you are perfectly able, and you are able to at least go to school. They will pay for you to go back and pay for daycare.

donteatrawpotatoes
05-20-2008, 03:20 PM

I go to school, have two babies, my husband works at a call center. We have no family support for child care. You have no excuse not to get an education or a job... You're only robbing yourself of selfesteem. when you're older, you're going to really regret your actions right now. People like you are part of the reason that people who really need IA can't get it.

Tania
05-20-2008, 03:52 PM
I always worked.. constantly.. at one point I had two babies and worked 60-70 hr weeks in a photography studio.. went on maturnity leave Jan 22 and Had my third baby March 3rd.. took my maturnity leave.. Started school the next January after I moved here.. went to college for 20 months.. couldn't find a job right off went to a call center (sitel) until I found my job three months later... and have been working here ever since..
OH YEAH I'M A SINGLE MOTHER ..
I wouldn't allow myself to make excuses.. My children will succeed because they watched their mother succeed.. It would KILL me to see them raising their children and families on IA..
I want them to say "My mother did it no matter what and so can I!!!"

newmommy
05-20-2008, 05:46 PM
okay thats ur opinon! dont judge my life style ! so ur saying that people thatare on IA shouldnt have kids? thats bull****! so i cant be happy? have a family? thats pretty harsh !! soory that i dont come from a rich family!!! i would rather stay home with my family and watch my kids grow up so that i miss their step, first word ect! you people go on about your tax money payes for me to sit on my ass and my kids food ect well my son needs a new dresser anyone gonna buy one for me? didnt think so! instead ofyou people sitting on here *****ing about people on "welfare" . why dont you help us on welfare! instead of selling this on here give them away?if u guys have all the money!!! efff like i dont understand people who have a job make less money then i do in a month, im not complaing. my kids have everything they ever need right now . and i am waiting untill my kids go to school before i do cuz i dont want a babysitter to raise my kids and me miss out on everything! my dad worked from the time i was born and he still works and he told me he wishes he stayed home because he missed out on my first walk, first words! i dont wanna miss thoes things!

livkat
05-20-2008, 06:14 PM
okay thats ur opinon! dont judge my life style ! so ur saying that people thatare on IA shouldnt have kids? thats bull****! so i cant be happy? have a family? thats pretty harsh !! soory that i dont come from a rich family!!! i would rather stay home with my family and watch my kids grow up so that i miss their step, first word ect! you people go on about your tax money payes for me to sit on my ass and my kids food ect well my son needs a new dresser anyone gonna buy one for me? didnt think so! instead ofyou people sitting on here *****ing about people on "welfare" . why dont you help us on welfare! instead of selling this on here give them away?if u guys have all the money!!! efff like i dont understand people who have a job make less money then i do in a month, im not complaing. my kids have everything they ever need right now . and i am waiting untill my kids go to school before i do cuz i dont want a babysitter to raise my kids and me miss out on everything! my dad worked from the time i was born and he still works and he told me he wishes he stayed home because he missed out on my first walk, first words! i dont wanna miss thoes things!
People work hard for what they have!!They are not just going to give their things away.You need a dresser, you can make $200 a month. Go out and earn a liitle extra cash.Your using your kids as an excuse. I have two daughters 3 and 11 months and of course i want to see all there firsts, but my job is to provide for my family and welfare should not be used as a way to provide long term. Sure if your having hard times for a few months. But what you are saying is ridiculous, stay on IA until your kids are in school , can we say lazy. And why isn't your bf working?

seashanty
05-20-2008, 06:26 PM

????????????????????????????/
The hard cruel facts of the world are that those who need to work for their food and shelter pay income taxes for the priveledge of working. A portion of taxes gets trickled down to those in need. IA has been and will continue to be given to those who NEED (such as disabled, temporary assistance, medical reasons etc) such assistance which is why we have such programs. But in all honesty these remarks are ridiculous coming from any able bodied individual. As for judging your lifestyle, how can we not given what you have said about your CHOICE of lifestyle. I would like to be able to sit at home all day and experience all kinds of things rather than being at work, but I am the one responsible for myself and any family I may choose to have. IA is there for a temporary hand up, not a continual hand out every month. The reason many do get so irate over such statements goes to the fact that alot of us working 40 hours per week make less that the government hands to IA recipients each month and if there is no TRUE NEED we take offense. The lifestyle you are choosing for your children is irresponsible at best. Children will model what they see and I know at least for myself I would rather model a strong work ethic and sense of accomplishment that goes along with making your own way in the world. If you need to buy a dresser perhaps you can choose between one of your "frills" such as cable or one of the cellphones. Modeling a little responsibility will go a long way in breaking the cycle for your children when they try to make there way in today's world. Get educated, get a job and start making your own way in the world rather than asking for more handouts

Tara
05-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Yea I was just going to say that....why isn't he doing his part? And this is Saint John, how many of us come from "rich" families? I know I didn't! IA is fine if it's utilized properly and if it's really needed. You've got 3 able bodied people living in your house who can go out and get a job....COME ON. There's no argument that you can make that can make it right, you do what you can to support your family. You don't need IA really. Either you or the bf or BOTH need to get a job or go to school. Period.

jennifer25ca2006
05-20-2008, 06:29 PM
People work hard for what they have!!They are not just going to give their things away.You need a dresser, you can make $200 a month. Go out and earn a liitle extra cash.Your using your kids as an excuse. I have two daughters 3 and 11 months and of course i want to see all there firsts, but my job is to provide for my family and welfare should not be used as a way to provide long term. Sure if your having hard times for a few months. But what you are saying is ridiculous, stay on IA until your kids are in school , can we say lazy. And why isn't your bf working?

Like newmommy said why work when they can have our tax dollars go to them and get everything that they need. I am sure you get enough money from welfare and you family allowance and child tax credit that is suppose to be 100 per kid for day care. Well there you go spend the 100 that you got or are going to get this month that is suppose to go on day care and get your child a "much needed dresser" Instead of asking someone on here to give it away instead of selling it. It is people like you that everyone gets mad at for abusing the system.after you kid learns to walk and talk then you are not going to miss out. Go out and get a job get off your ass and realize that everything should not be handed to you as you want. omg people like you discust me.

mizunderstood
05-20-2008, 06:38 PM

OMG you have such entitlement issues!!!!!! YOu seem to think that the world OWES you, you get a juicy welfare check and baby bonus each month, and yet you STILL want us THE TAX PAYERS, (who mind you are the ones you are getting your welfare check from each month) to GIVE you a dresser??? GET A GRIP!!!~!!!!~ You are too lazy to get off your back and get a job or education. There is nothing wrong with having kids, most of us on here have at least one! But the point is, only have them WHEN YOU CAN AFFORD THEM WITHOUT TAKING MY TAX DOLLARS THAT i WORK HARD FOR, TIME AWAY FROM MY OWN KIDS TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET YOUR MONTHLY CHECK BECAUSE YOU ARE TOO LAZY TO WORK!!!!! Get over yourself, get an education, stop using your kids as an excuse to be a leach on society!!!!
Your the reason so many people hate people on IA. You are a poor excuse for an example to your children, I just hope someday they see what you did was wrong and lazy and hopefully they don't continue the cycle that apparently started with your mother. What is her disability keeping her from working? What is bf's disability that is keeping him from working, what is your disability that keeps you from doing something better for yourself and your kids??? Nothing! You all are just plain lazy! Sorry, I have to go now, time to go back to work, I already worked 8 hrs today, but I have 12 more togo before my day is over... Oh BTW YOUR WELCOME!

newmommy
05-20-2008, 06:57 PM
okay first of all i never said i was gonna stay on IA the whole life! and as for the dresser thing. he really doesnt need a new dresser yet but he gonna need one soon. and i will go buy him one , its just the point that people ***** about they pay taxes and their tax money helps our kids eat . thats not our fault , take it up with the goverment. my kids are happy and so is me and my bf so who cares . you guys have nothing better to do then "bash the poor" . it is why i dont like these threads the ones who bash welfar people. if u dont us on welfare then ill move in with you and u can feed me and my kids. this is my choice to stay home with my kids.

FutureChief88
05-20-2008, 06:59 PM

hi newmommy,
now i dont want to harp on you because everyone else has seemed to get their point across... and just for the record.. i strongly agree with all of them. But just to comment on Your remark about having children.. and how people on IA shouldnt have kids.
Now.. This is MY opinion.. and my opinion only. People who CANNOT afford to support themselves.. SHOULD NOT HAVE CHILDREN. In an ideal world .. you should have savings accounts in place for your children before they are even born. People should have back ups and all kinds of money in order to support these children..Now , how many of us HAVE these things? not very many.. But they should AT LEAST be able to support themselves. Now.. i got pregnant when i was 17.. i had my daughter when i was 18.. and with being put out of work without enough hours for maternity leave, i was forced to go on welfare. i was on it longer that i would have liked.. but at least while i was on it.. i got an education. After i completed school, i got a JOB. i have been working for over 3 years.. and my daughter is 5. i am expecting my second child and am on maternity leave collecting money from ei that I PUT INTO THE PROGRAM.. from working. When my year is up.. i will go back to work.. and i WILL miss out on my children growing up.. i will miss out on EVERYTHING little that i would love to experience with my children.. But i have CHOSEN to breed.. and it is MY responsibility to provide for them financially, and it is My responsibility to show them accomplishment and responsibility.. It is not up to anyone else.So to answer your question..NO i do NOT believe that people who cannot financially support a child on their own should have children. Everyone needs help every now and then.. but it is supposed to be temporary.. and thats it! Not a CHOICE of living until you see fit..

And i am certainly not coming froma family who has endless amounts of money. I, in fact, make more money than both of my parents..

jennifer25ca2006
05-20-2008, 07:02 PM
It is people like you that abuse the system and the reason that peopl get some mad about people on IA you are perfectly capable of getting up off your butt and working and just dont want to. Did you just have this kid to be on welfare? To take time off work? Welfare is there to help ppl in need not there so that people can spend all the time in the world that they want sitting on their ass. You really need your head examined and need to get a job. I cannot wait till they put a cap on IA and make it a limit on how long that you can be on it like they have bascailly in every other province then here. It is people like you that people hate cause they are abusing the system. You do not need welfare you just do it for the luxury. Get up off your ass you and your bf and get a life a job and help someone that is in need.

FutureChief88
05-20-2008, 07:07 PM
okay first of all i never said i was gonna stay on IA the whole life! and as for the dresser thing. he really doesnt need a new dresser yet but he gonna need one soon. and i will go buy him one , its just the point that people ***** about they pay taxes and their tax money helps our kids eat . thats not our fault , take it up with the goverment. my kids are happy and so is me and my bf so who cares . you guys have nothing better to do then "bash the poor" . it is why i dont like these threads the ones who bash welfar people. if u dont us on welfare then ill move in with you and u can feed me and my kids. this is my choice to stay home with my kids.

No, it is your choice to stay home if you have a significant other supporting you.. NOT the government. this is the problem..That the government has made this a choice..

it should be WORKFARE..after a certain amount of time..you have towork for your welfare cheque..I bet MANY people would want to be making a hell of alot more money for what welfare would make them do..
you shouldnt have the choice to stay home..UNLESS someone in your family is supporting you and your kids. i dont mind helping those in need.. but helping those who choose to BE in need is not something i enjoy doing!

shelby26
05-20-2008, 07:18 PM
well hello new mommy,so u have a grade 8 education, a bf who doesnt work and 2 kids, and are on income assasiance, well think of the big picture, u r obviously getting comfortable with the system and so the cycle begins!! Noone is bashing the "poor " like u stated, indeed u probably make more cashing ur welfare check then us who work everyday! Y isnt ur Bf WORKING, IS HE DISABLED , HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITION ? WHAT?? IA is not meant for u guys to sponge off!!!

inuit
05-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Newmommy,seriously, how many new mothers out there want to go back to work and leave their babies with a sitter? Not very many, we make the choice for the betterment of our children not for ourselves. I for one would have loved to have stayed home with my kids but they were my responsibility not the government's. I was left alone with 3 small kids and a grade 8 education too so that's no excuse.

sanstu
05-20-2008, 07:52 PM
I was going to respond to newmommy, however I am lost for words right now.

FutureChief88
05-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I was going to respond to newmommy, however I am lost for words right now.

Well said..
Really what else is there to say?:(

livkat
05-20-2008, 08:20 PM
No one is bashing the poor. You choose to be poor, that is not our fault. However, thanks for the info on IA recieved when you lived with your bf mother which is what sanstu's original thread pertains too

~Butterfly~
05-20-2008, 08:50 PM

You said it!! People on Welfare should not be allowed to breed (able-bodied people). they should be forced to use birth control, until they are working for their living, otherwise the cycle continues. Rich family?? I certainly do not come from a rich family, I was brought up by a single father who had heart condition (which started at an early age) he also broke his back at one point when I was a child. So there was a BRIEF time where my father HAD to swallow his pride and get welfare for us to survive. This was during my teenage years. I remember how sad and pathetic he looked when we came home from school for those couple of years that he was recuperating from his back surgery and could not work. He didn't have a great job to begin with so there were no benefits like LTD to collect so he had no choice but to go on welfare and he hated every minute of it. The funny thing is.....he got more a month on welfare than he brought home in a pay check that he busted his a$$ for. BUT, he was proud when he worked and it taught me and my brother the importance of working and not relying on anyone else to pay our way in life.

you mentioned your son needs a dresser and that we (the tax payers) should help you....we are helping you and your kids and your bf and your mom...gosh we pay for your rent, food, 2 CELL PHONES, cable....what about internet??? do you already have that too??? or should i order it up for you and just add it to your tab??? as far as us giving our stuff away to people on welfare...HAHAHAHAHA....still looking for the freebies huh???

as far as you waiting for your kids to go to school before you educate yourself??? another hahaha, that's the best excuse to use i have to give you that!! I have a 4 month old am on maternity leave right now which I paid for over the last 21 years of working, (I started being responsible when I turned 16 and got me a job), everyday since i had my baby I have thought about how awful I will feel when I have to go back to work and have a babysitter look after him, but as a responsible parent I have to go to work (unless my husband lands a deadly paying job) unfortunately i have no choice i have 3 children 2 teenagers and my new baby and all of them know the importance of a job and the value of a dollar. This is the first time I have even been able to take advantage of maternity leave, I was back to work weeks after having the first 2, when i could have said i was single and filed for welfare like so many people do!!

ok, so your dad worked and missed out on your first walk and first words....did you ONLY do these magical things during the day when he was at work??? i doubt it....

this is what I have to say to you....How dare you get angry at us for speaking our minds about the way the welfare system is abused. I (and all other working persons) work damn hard for the money your handed each month. All is required of you is to....go to the mailbox, remove check, make your way to the bank to cash it, smile, and find something to spend it on.....we have every right to complain about how our tax dollars are being spent.....look around this country, province or city.....do you not see where tax money can be better used??? Instead we give it to people who have no drive to pi$$ away!!!

This thread was not a welfare bashing thread....it was a discussion on how the system is being abused....the comments made to you were gentle to say the least seeing as you right out told us that you are one of the welfare "abusers", so get a grip girl and think about what has happened here. Maybe this will be an eye opener to you and your bf. If so, then YAY, i will be very happy for you. If not, then stop wasting my money!!

MichelleM
05-20-2008, 08:54 PM
I am completely sickened .I wish I knew newmommy's real name because I would call her case worker and send her the link to this thread.
It is people like her that give the people who do need it a bad name.
I am sure there is not a mother out there who would not love to stay home with there kids but reality is that most are honest and hardworking and see that it is there responsibility to feed and dress them not everybody elses.

~Butterfly~
05-20-2008, 08:54 PM
P.S. seeing as your mother is on welfare get her to babysit so you can educate yourself or go to work.....and tell your bf to get off his a$$ and provide for his family

mizunderstood
05-20-2008, 08:57 PM

You said that the money we pay helps your kids eat, thats not your fault??? HOW THE HELL IS IT NOT YOUR FAULT??? YOU CHOOSE to keep reproducing, YOU CHOOSE to not get an education, YOU CHOOSE to leach of the hard work of tax payers like the rest of us. ANd your little comment about you, your bf, and kids are happy? WOP-DI-****ING DO! HOW DARE YOU BRAG about being happy while stealing money out of my kids mouths!!! MY kids go without all the nicer things in life, because I pay too much into taxes, and the more that I work, the more time I am away from MY KIDS, missing all their firsts, YOU ARE REAPING THE BENEFITS! HOW DARE YOU!!!!! You are a poor excuse for a person, and a mother, to be proud of STEALING money from us! Then your little comment about if we don't like that your on welfare, then you can move in with us??? LOL... AGAIN the sense of entitlement!!! GET OFF YOUR ASS AND WORK FOR WHAT YOU WANT!!! Yes it is your choice to stay at home, BUT only when there is someone supporting you and the kids FULLY without the gov't HANDOUTS that you are stealing. There is no reason that you should be on it other than you are a low life, sponge, taking from the system. That is not what the IA system is for. It is there to help while your down! Not keep you at home with yourt kids, and not working!!! GET OFF YOUR ASS AND GET A JOB!!!! WHO gave you the right to stay at home and have us support you??? I am pretty sure that I didn't create your kids, therefore why swhould I be responsible for raising them??? GET A GRIP ON REALITY GIRL... Your parents did not instill very good morals or ethics in you if this is the way you CHOOSE to live and raise your kids!!! YOU are a disgrace to mothers everywhere. I know I would love to have the CHOICE to stay at home with my kids and see all their firsts, spend every minute of every day with them, but I was RESPONSIBLE (unlike you) I only created enough kids that I knew that I could support!!!! You got pregnant went on welfare, then you had the NERVE to get pregnant again, all so you can get a bigger check???? You are why everyone on here hates IA people. Unfortunatly the good ones out there that actually need it get a bad reputation because of trash like you!

FutureChief88
05-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Wow..Amen to Butterfly~!

bluejay
05-20-2008, 09:07 PM
wow!! 1775 a month here I am a widow with 1 daughter to raise and I get not even 900 a month ,and That;s from my husband;s pension he paid into ..I have been looking for work left resumes almost every where;s and nothing yet .I went and wrote my GED and I am 43 years old and I need to rewrite the math, LOL stay home with your children cmon get a job and support your children..

Kristee
05-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Um...If you don't like welfare bashing threads as you call it (which really it seems more of an informative thread) then why the hell did you come on here?? Did you not read the titke of the thread?
I had my daughter when I was 16, I lived with a my mother who was a single parent and worked her ass off, I continued to go to school as did my daughter's father. We now are happily married, have 3 beautiful children , I have an awesome job that I love and my husband is continuing his education @ NBCC. It wasn't easy but I did it. It can be done.
You say you have a grade 8 education, so go write your GED, then you can work at any call center in the city. Get off your butt and be productive @ something other then making babies that you CANT afford!
I would suggest not having anymore with your "ambitous" bf either, he seems like he is going far in life.
I think it's pretty funny that there are hard working people on here who probably don't even own one cell phone let alone 2. They may want to borrow yours though considering that we are paying for it with OUR taxes.
And if you don't want to hear what people have to say then you shouldn't have come on here and aired out your very dirty laundry!

Cherry Pop
05-20-2008, 09:33 PM
What I really don't understand is how someone can actually like being on Income Assistance and how they can actually like sitting home on their butt. As most of you know I'm in the above situation due to my health and I'm telling ya all that I hate it. I am so bored! Everyday sucks big time. I have my health situation to deal with each day and honestly it feels like I'm a 30 year old stuck in an 80 year old body! Being on Income Assistance sucks and I really don't know how some of the people on it can afford cell phones and stuff like that. I mean do they not eat? By the time I pay for my apartment, groceries, utilities there isn't that much left. Yes I have cable and internet that are extras but considering I have a hard time just trying to walk I need something to entertain me! I just don't understand how someone who can work, wouldn't go out and get a job. Before I got as sick as I am now I worked 2 jobs plus went to school fulltime. I was use to always being on the go. I can't however ever get use to sitting on my butt. I just don't understand it. I think if people had to sit on their butt instead of choosing too they would soon realize how lucky they are to have their health and be able to work. I really just don't get it!

rhiley_08j
05-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Wow... all I can say is I hope everyone's comments make them feel good about themselves. It has been repeatedly said on these threads that most people on welfare are on it because of what they have been conditioned to. Someone comes on here and is truly honest about their situation, and rather than people giving her words of encouragement to break the cycle, they are beating her down, lowering her self esteem, which in turn forces her deeper into the cycle. This is what she knows people, just like many others, and the last thing it should become is a battle of classes. Lead her to the water, and hopefully she will drink, but if you lead her to believe the water is tainted she will stray far from it.

mizunderstood
05-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Wow... all I can say is I hope everyone's comments make them feel good about themselves. It has been repeatedly said on these threads that most people on welfare are on it because of what they have been conditioned to. Someone comes on here and is truly honest about their situation, and rather than people giving her words of encouragement to break the cycle, they are beating her down, lowering her self esteem, which in turn forces her deeper into the cycle. This is what she knows people, just like many others, and the last thing it should become is a battle of classes. Lead her to the water, and hopefully she will drink, but if you lead her to believe the water is tainted she will stray far from it.

Very well said Rhiley, and I will be the first to admit that maybe I was too harsh on that one poster. My issue is that she does not WANT to change, she is HAPPY where she is, she does not want to do better for herself or her children, and she is happy raising her children on the system. That to me is sad. So no amount of rudeness or harsh words or even kind words are going to make her change. She is what she is, she is where she WANTS to be... I am sorry for her...
The problem is that all of us have pointed out the ways out of the system, and people like newmommy just dont want to do it, they like the easy way out, it is easier to sit at home on their butt getting free money, than to go out and earn an honest pay for a hard days work.

mizunderstood
05-20-2008, 10:23 PM
What I really don't understand is how someone can actually like being on Income Assistance and how they can actually like sitting home on their butt. As most of you know I'm in the above situation due to my health and I'm telling ya all that I hate it. I am so bored! Everyday sucks big time. I have my health situation to deal with each day and honestly it feels like I'm a 30 year old stuck in an 80 year old body! Being on Income Assistance sucks and I really don't know how some of the people on it can afford cell phones and stuff like that. I mean do they not eat? By the time I pay for my apartment, groceries, utilities there isn't that much left. Yes I have cable and internet that are extras but considering I have a hard time just trying to walk I need something to entertain me! I just don't understand how someone who can work, wouldn't go out and get a job. Before I got as sick as I am now I worked 2 jobs plus went to school fulltime. I was use to always being on the go. I can't however ever get use to sitting on my butt. I just don't understand it. I think if people had to sit on their butt instead of choosing too they would soon realize how lucky they are to have their health and be able to work. I really just don't get it!

Cherry Pop, I for one do not think that you are the lazy one, milking the system, you are a wonderful person, trying to do the best you can with the situation (medical) that you were dealt. IF people like newmommy would stop leaching off the system and LOVING sitting at home collecting a check each month, maybe people like you who truly NEED it would be able to have enough money each month on your checks to afford the things you need. I think you deserve some kind of entertainment seeing as you are basically housebound all the time. I just can't get over someone on IA having 2 cell phones??? How the heck is that possible?? Cherry, I hope things get better for you soon. I know how hard it has been on you, and if there was a way to get rid of the "abusers" on the system, maybe people like you could actually get what you need to SURVIVE!

rhiley_08j
05-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Very well said Rhiley, and I will be the first to admit that maybe I was too harsh on that one poster. My issue is that she does not WANT to change, she is HAPPY where she is, she does not want to do better for herself or her children, and she is happy raising her children on the system. That to me is sad. So no amount of rudeness or harsh words or even kind words are going to make her change. She is what she is, she is where she WANTS to be... I am sorry for her...
The problem is that all of us have pointed out the ways out of the system, and people like newmommy just dont want to do it, they like the easy way out, it is easier to sit at home on their butt getting free money, than to go out and earn an honest pay for a hard days work.

The problem is that none of us know her. None of us know the reason for the way she thinks. Unless we can honestly place ourselves in a person's shoes and truly understand all sides of her coin, then who are we to pass judgement. One thing people don't realize is that people that grow up in that environment are surrounded by like minded individuals, and believe it or not, people that have been to the bottom, are less likely to judge others. Venturing from that line of thinking is a big step, considering you are deciding to jump into a new arena full of searing eyes and judgemental undertones.

~Butterfly~
05-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Cherry Pop, I for one do not think that you are the lazy one, milking the system, you are a wonderful person, trying to do the best you can with the situation (medical) that you were dealt. IF people like newmommy would stop leaching off the system and LOVING sitting at home collecting a check each month, maybe people like you who truly NEED it would be able to have enough money each month on your checks to afford the things you need. I think you deserve some kind of entertainment seeing as you are basically housebound all the time. I just can't get over someone on IA having 2 cell phones??? How the heck is that possible?? Cherry, I hope things get better for you soon. I know how hard it has been on you, and if there was a way to get rid of the "abusers" on the system, maybe people like you could actually get what you need to SURVIVE!

100% in agreement!!

Cherry: I only know what I have read on here about your situation and I hope it gets better.

I will not apologize as mizunderstood did to newmommy, I stand by everything I have said...sometimes tough-love is the best kind!!

P.S. I really meant it when i said I would be happy for her if she took this thread as an eye-opener, just as I meant it when I said stop wasting my money.

jennifer25ca2006
05-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Well said Butterfly I agree with you 100%.

Tania
05-21-2008, 08:36 AM
All I can say is OOOOOOOO MYYYYYYYYY GODDDDDDDD...

Ppl are pissed at you mommy because you seem to enjoy Welfare..

The two classes of welfare are
Those proud to get what they can out of the government
and
Those who are truely in need and the thought of cashing a IA cheque is embaressment enough to get them out there doing what they need too..

I missed my daughters first steps.. I would have loved to have seen them BUT amazingly she did it again.. and unless you are going to be with your kids 24/7 chances of you missing a milestone are a great possibility.. But kids are amazing.. they'll talk again and walk again.. :eek:

BTW I work and can't afford a cell phone let alone TWO!!!

If you can work then do it!!! you're mother or that sorry excuse of a boyfriend can watch the kids.. there daycare problem taken care of!!!

I'm a GENIUS I tell ya!!

And don't say ppl don't know where you're coming from...

I'm a single mom.. Let me tell you I had to accept some help from IA a few times. But you know what?? when I had to cash that IA cheque I wanted the hole to open and EAT me.. But I used it out of NEED not habit..

I don't regret a single thing I've said and I won't take it back....

IA is for NEED not HABIT!! and I think WORKFARE is a fabulous idea.. Make em work for their check :D Allow a certain amount of time and after that it's work or get lost.. :D

Blazingsun
05-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Newmommy: My sister is on IA. She is in her 3rd year of university, with 1 child. Welfare is a hand up, not a hand out. My sister knew to not have more babies that she couldnt take care of, second of all she got student loans for her education and pays for childcare out of that.

PLEASE: dont let newmommy sour your opinion of ALL people on welfare. Im proud of my sister, she is the only person in our family to ever need IA, and is using it to the best of her abilities. Newmommy is my age. I am at a loss for words over this post, I have never posted on the forums before but im sick of people like that making people like my sister look bad.

Wow, sort of sick to my stomache that she has 2 children

She is on welfare and still missed her child's first steps because she had her head buried in the books at the library preparing for exams!!!!! You cant have your cake and eat it to....im 17...and i know that....i guess you were raised differently than me

livkat
05-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Newmommy: My sister is on IA. She is in her 3rd year of university, with 1 child. Welfare is a hand up, not a hand out. My sister knew to not have more babies that she couldnt take care of, second of all she got student loans for her education and pays for childcare out of that.

PLEASE: dont let newmommy sour your opinion of ALL people on welfare. Im proud of my sister, she is the only person in our family to ever need IA, and is using it to the best of her abilities. Newmommy is my age. I am at a loss for words over this post, I have never posted on the forums before but im sick of people like that making people like my sister look bad.

She is on welfare and still missed her child's first steps because she had her head buried in the books at the library preparing for exams!!!!! You cant have your cake and eat it to....im 17...and i know that....i guess you were raised differently than me
Well said for 17. Your very right, IA is meant to be a "hand up" not a "hand out" as you say. You should be very proud of your sister for going to school to better herself , and to make a good future for her child.:D

Tania
05-21-2008, 10:27 AM

KUDOS to your sister.. she's using the "system" to better herself. She's not sitting on her butt "expecting" ppl to do right by her. She's out there Doing right by herself. Now that is a person I'm proud to pay tax dollars for. Wish your sister well and it's nice to actually hear of someone using the system in a way it's meant to. A Hand up not a Hand Out..

and for 17 you're a wise one.. Stay that way!!

newmommy
05-21-2008, 11:06 AM
you know what all of this stuff you guys are saying is a real eye opener! maybe i should go back to school! i was told i could take my ged online! my point was that i dont wanna miss all the first steps and first words that my kids say and do! and my mother wasnt always on welfare she always worked! her work closed and she couldnt find another job!

Tania
05-21-2008, 11:11 AM
If the worse thing you do to your child is miss their first steps/words then you're doing them a favor. By working or going to school you're showing them that there's more to life out there then waiting for the 1st and 20th of each month and learning to scrimp and save.. That Mommy, is the best gift you will be able to give to them.

And if you're at work when they say their first word or take their first steps.. I can guarnatee you that they'll say prob that exact same word when you get home or take that next wabbly step.

Get your GED show those babies that if Mom can do anything then they can too

newmommy
05-21-2008, 11:12 AM
I am completely sickened .I wish I knew newmommy's real name because I would call her case worker and send her the link to this thread.
It is people like her that give the people who do need it a bad name.
I am sure there is not a mother out there who would not love to stay home with there kids but reality is that most are honest and hardworking and see that it is there responsibility to feed and dress them not everybody elses.

my worker's name is paul ross! and my real name is Ashtin McAuley. And he knows why i wanna stay home and he doesn't mind!

Kristee
05-21-2008, 11:12 AM
You can write your GED in a weekend @ the North End Center.

Tania
05-21-2008, 11:23 AM
http://www.acswcccf.nb.ca/english/documents/Life_on_Social_Assistance_in_New_Brunswick.pdf

mizunderstood
05-21-2008, 11:40 AM
you know what all of this stuff you guys are saying is a real eye opener! maybe i should go back to school! i was told i could take my ged online! my point was that i dont wanna miss all the first steps and first words that my kids say and do! and my mother wasnt always on welfare she always worked! her work closed and she couldnt find another job!

newmommy... I am glad that you have gotten an eye opener on this forum, I truly hope and pray that you do go get your ged at least, if not MORE! You are an example to your kids, you need to show them that there is better than what you have. You can do it, just stop making excuses. As others have pointed out, just because you miss their "first" step or word, doesn't make it less special the first time YOU hear it or see it! Unfortunatly in your situation, you don't get the luxury of choosing to stay at home. I understand your want and desire to do that, but honestly if the new laws come down in the next year or so, you won't have the option. I heard from some proffessors at STU (in the SW dept) that there is going to be time limits placed on IA. Best of luck to you, if you choose to make a better life for your kids.... Also just wanted to ask again, where is the bf? and why is he not being a man and out there busting his butt to provide for these kids that he helped create? I am sorry, that just boggles my mind, having 2 parents at home, neither one working. Maybe this forum will give him the rude awaking as well to get out there and WANT better for his kids.

mizunderstood
05-21-2008, 11:42 AM
my worker's name is paul ross! and my real name is Ashtin McAuley. And he knows why i wanna stay home and he doesn't mind!

This does not surprise me at all. He doesn't want women to work. I had him as a worker at one point when I was on IA for a couple months, and he actually told me that I should not go back to work until my kids go to school. He is one of the workers that encourages you to stay on the system. I think if you want to make anythign in your life for your kids, look into getting a new case worker. I did, and it did wonders! Again, best of luck at getting off the system and working for a living.

Coston07
05-21-2008, 11:49 AM
newmommy: I am just wonder why you are really open about every but still have not answered the BF question. I really hope that you take advantage of the opportunities that are givin to you. Good Luck.

Cherry Pop
05-21-2008, 12:25 PM
http://www.acswcccf.nb.ca/english/documents/Life_on_Social_Assistance_in_New_Brunswick.pdf

Very Interesting! I was really interested in the part about Health being the reason a person can't work. In my situation, I know that I can go back to work eventually but my problem is our health care system. Right now I have been waiting almost a year and a half for a surgery that if all goes well and I recover from it I should be able to enter the workforce again. However, I sit here waiting for my surgery and don't have a clue as to when they will be able to schedule it. The wait for me is due to the fact that I have 4 surgeons who all need to be in the OR working on me at the same time. Due to the way our health care system is set up, each surgeon is given certain days for OR time. The 4 surgeons I have all have different days and different schedules so it is nearly impossible to set up a surgery date. Now we are getting close to summer and in the summer the OR's except one are shut down for 3 weeks. So will I get my surgery before summer or will I have to wait until next fall? next winter? What I'm trying to say is if people want me off and if I want off Income Assistance then our health care system needs to be fixed!! All I need is this surgery and for things to go right with it and I can work again so I really feel that it is partly our government's fault for me having to stay on income assistance this long. Yes Income assistance might be there for people like me but I don't want to be on it any longer. I want my surgery, I want my life back and I want to work!!

newmommy
05-21-2008, 01:14 PM
my bf is looking for work! but its hard when u have 2 kids that are only 12 1/2 months apart. its like having twins! but i dont know.. im not speaking on his behave.

mizunderstood
05-21-2008, 01:49 PM
my bf is looking for work! but its hard when u have 2 kids that are only 12 1/2 months apart. its like having twins! but i dont know.. im not speaking on his behave.

How is it hard for him to find work? Just because he has kids? That should be easy for him really. I mean if you are staying at home and getting your education (and raising your kids anyways) then he has no reason to not work. He actually has it a lot easier than most people looking for work, he doesn't have to juggle his schedule and availability to fit around yours, KWIM? What education does he have, what experience does he have? Does he have a good resume? Has he done any volenteer work? What kind of job is he looking for? I am sure if you gave us a little info, we can point you (him) in a direction. I know of at least a DOZEN places hiring right now, and this is hte best time of year to find a job, BEFORE the students get out of school looking for summer work. Tell him to get out there now. lol.. Here is a quick run down of places I know hiring. Some might not apply if he doesn't have a high school or GED.
All the call centers are hiring.
Subway
Wendy's
KFC/Taco Bell
Mcdonalds
Half of the stores in the mall west are hiring
Another round of places in the mall east are hiring
Pet stores
Easy home
All moving companies!!
What about getting in with some local builders, cleaners, landscapers for the summer at least?
All the home care places are hiring (probably does not apply for him but...)
Sobeys
home depot
Kents
Canadian tire
Rogers in macallister mall
Superstore
Dollar store
Walmart
MOST restaurants (Montanas, BOston pizza,Jake's, dooly's, Mother natures, Vivaldi's, Granans restaurants, A&W,)
movie theatres
Zellers
Value village
These are just the ones I can think of off top of my head right now.
If he doesn't have a resume, or a very good one, get him to go up to the welfare building and go into the unemployment office, they will help make one for him, and print them out too. Good luck, stop making excuses! lol....
Does he have a car or a drivers license??? All the pizza places are hiring, especially drivers....

Tania
05-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Cherry,
The system is there for people like you.. who want to work but are unable too. It's not your fault that you're waiting for surgeons to get their act together. You're physically unable too. as for the link.. I found it interesting that Single people made up the highest number of IA recipients. Very Interesting.

I think the only reasons to be on welfare for a long period of time is:

If you are mentally or physically unable.
Aprox six months after a birth of a child if EI isn't available
Or you've moved to remote Nunavit and the nearest job is 900 km.. then I'd say MOVE.. :D
and that's it.... Period..

FutureChief88
05-21-2008, 09:48 PM
The problem is that none of us know her. None of us know the reason for the way she thinks. Unless we can honestly place ourselves in a person's shoes and truly understand all sides of her coin, then who are we to pass judgement. One thing people don't realize is that people that grow up in that environment are surrounded by like minded individuals, and believe it or not, people that have been to the bottom, are less likely to judge others. Venturing from that line of thinking is a big step, considering you are deciding to jump into a new arena full of searing eyes and judgemental undertones.

This is a good point .. but when do we start taking control of our OWN lives, grow up and start acting like adults? We need to take responsibility for our adultl ives.. not matter what we were taught. Using the "this is how i was rasied" line as an excuse only works for so long. When i see a person ready to have 2 children.. i would assume they have taken responsibility for themselves BEFORE taking responsibility for another ( ie: a child). An adult.. a PARENT at that, MUST have some common sense to raise a child.. this situation involves NO common sense. I would LOVE to be home to see my newest addition grow up.. but unfortunately i will miss most "firsts".. But hey.. they will be new to me when i get home from work :)

rhiley_08j
05-22-2008, 12:21 PM
This is a good point .. but when do we start taking control of our OWN lives, grow up and start acting like adults? We need to take responsibility for our adultl ives.. not matter what we were taught. Using the "this is how i was rasied" line as an excuse only works for so long. When i see a person ready to have 2 children.. i would assume they have taken responsibility for themselves BEFORE taking responsibility for another ( ie: a child). An adult.. a PARENT at that, MUST have some common sense to raise a child.. this situation involves NO common sense. I would LOVE to be home to see my newest addition grow up.. but unfortunately i will miss most "firsts".. But hey.. they will be new to me when i get home from work :)

Your right too Future... and that sort of goes with what I was saying. We know that her line of thinking is off, but rather than put her down we should show her an alternative. Help her realize what she might not have otherwise. By her last post, it appears that maybe she has seen the light, so to speak. Maybe this is a new start for her. I personally wish her all the best in her future endeavours, and hope that she learns a whole new side of life.

FutureChief88
05-22-2008, 06:57 PM
I as well. I dont mind my tax dollars going to help thoe in need.. and i am in no way saying that people on welfare live high on the hog.. because they certainly dont.. But i cant stand to sit back and see someone breed and CHOOSE to live on the system while i work my butt off to raise a family! U know.
I hope newmommy has gained a bit of perspective and obtained a goal for herself.
i guess i have a hard time realizing that people come from a different place than i do.. thats one of my downfalls!