PDA

View Full Version : Getting a License to Sell Food

patbez
04-20-2008, 10:31 PM
I was considering packaging and selling some foods that I make - does anyone have advice on this or tips on the process? I'm without experience in where (I'm assuming I would have to) I would acquire a license to sell and where to find packaging/labeling materials. Also, has anyone set up in the city market? What are the rates like?

Thanks!

dan j
04-20-2008, 10:39 PM
I'd contact someone within the City offices. Just call the regular line and they'll probably transfer you to the proper person or department. You might also find some info on the official website if you look around enough.

countesscurling
04-21-2008, 06:26 AM
You will need to go through the Department of Health and Safety as well.

patbez
04-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Thank you both!

adorabull
04-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Canadian food inspections agency (Government) :)

inuit
04-21-2008, 09:17 PM
What good eats are you planning to sell patbez?

patbez
04-22-2008, 01:03 PM
I was considering a few things, but primarily hummus, guacamole and a few other dips along with curries. Anything that I enjoy making at home and my friends enjoy too. It really depends on the cost of the license - I hope it isn't too much!

inuit
04-23-2008, 06:05 AM
You might try the flea market on Sunday mornings to see what kind of reception you get to your dips before you invest too much money into it. Just a suggecsion, I frequently buy food stuffs at the flea market especially if it's something new. Good luck.

livkat
04-23-2008, 06:43 AM
You might try the flea market on Sunday mornings to see what kind of reception you get to your dips before you invest too much money into it. Just a suggecsion, I frequently buy food stuffs at the flea market especially if it's something new. Good luck.
I agree with inuit, try the flea market first to gain a few customers.
PS Trecartins on Rothesay ave, sells packaging for food.

inuit
04-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah, there's a lady there sometimes who sells Jamacian food to die for. I think she's in City Market now. I haven't seen her for awhile but lordy she sold good eats. I don't think you need any kind of license to sell there either Patbez.

inuit
04-26-2008, 08:37 AM
So Patbez, what gives? Are you going to sell your dips at the flea market or what? I haven't had a good hummus dip since I visited Ottawa.

patbez
04-26-2008, 04:37 PM
This is patbez's wife...let me say, his hummus is to die for ;) Everyone he makes it for raves about it. Same goes for his guacamole. & his jalapeno poppers, as a matter of fact ;)

As for the flea market on Sundays, not sure what my husband thinks about it, but I don't know...my opinion is it's not the "scene" that would normally buy semi-ethnic foods like hummus or guacamole. I have only ever really seen people selling sweets. But the flea markets this summer might not be a bad idea...

You do need a license to sell at the market, I believe. I actually don't enjoy too many of the vendors there myself...I used to have a bunch of favorite dishes, but then the vendors went & changed them or got rid of them. Like, the burritos used to be SO good...now they're much smaller & not as tasty. The british woman also used to sell blueberry crumble, but not anymore :/

rhiley_08j
04-27-2008, 10:59 AM
The Farmer's Market in Kingston is another nice venue to use in the summer months. There is always numerous people displaying various kinds of food.

livkat
04-27-2008, 08:03 PM
This is patbez's wife...let me say, his hummus is to die for ;) Everyone he makes it for raves about it. Same goes for his guacamole. & his jalapeno poppers, as a matter of fact ;)

As for the flea market on Sundays, not sure what my husband thinks about it, but I don't know...my opinion is it's not the "scene" that would normally buy semi-ethnic foods like hummus or guacamole. I have only ever really seen people selling sweets. But the flea markets this summer might not be a bad idea...

You do need a license to sell at the market, I believe. I actually don't enjoy too many of the vendors there myself...I used to have a bunch of favorite dishes, but then the vendors went & changed them or got rid of them. Like, the burritos used to be SO good...now they're much smaller & not as tasty. The british woman also used to sell blueberry crumble, but not anymore :/
I have bought many different things at the flea market, if your guacamole was there I would buy:thumbsup:

kristajoy
05-05-2008, 03:10 PM
I have looked into selling homemade cheesecake at the city market and i am currently on the waiting list there. Its been a whole year and still no phone call yet. There is a fee, but i cant remember......its been so long since they told me. You could go down the the waterfront when the cruiseships come in. That was another option for me since Americans love cheesecake:p