PDA

View Full Version : recall on plastic bottles

wiggy
04-17-2008, 02:59 AM
looking for imformation on the recall of plastic bottles with the code number of pq 1 and pq7 and baby bottles and large containers for refill of water it was on Globe news last night

Deriansmomma
04-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Not sure if this is what you are looking for or not

http://www.thestar.com/article/415032

dan j
04-17-2008, 02:24 PM
I've been off plastic bottles for quite awhile now and never ever heat anything up in plastic containers. I've also been replacing my plastic container selection with glass as well.

sarahnb
04-17-2008, 06:27 PM
http://toxicnation.ca/files/toxicnation/report/ToxicBabyBottleReport.pdf

http://www.mommyauctions.com/blog/2007/10/01/kitchen-raid-2007-what%E2%80%99s-the-scoop-on-all-the-bpa-free-hype/
What IS Bisphenol-A?

This is an additive used in the production of epoxy and polyvinyl carbonate (PVC: the type of plastic to be feared). It’s scientific name comes from it’s base molecules: two of phenol and one acetone (yep, like your favorite nail polish remover). It is in most of the clear hard plastics, so a fairly accurate guideline in guessing whether your favorite plastic has BPA in it is that most opaque or colored plastics are BPA Free, as are the soft plastics like bottle liners.

Why is it unsafe?

BPA begins to seep out of plastics and contaminate whatever they hold. It used to be belived that this only happened if the plastic was scratched or heated, but recent reports show that BPA leaks in even the newest plastic.

About 2 years ago, scientific reports began to emerge that linked BPA to problems in the endocrine, reproductive and metabolic systems. These problems included prostate and breast cancer, impaired immune function, early onset of puberty, obesity, fertility issues and diabetes. There are preliminary findings that show that a folic acid supplement can counteract the effects of the chemical, but nothing is proven in that area yet.

What’s being done about this?

California is starting to make headway in the BPA movement. There was a massive class action lawsuit against the state, asking for a statewide ban on BPA. As of December 1, 2006; San Francisco banned all sales of products for children under the age of 3 with BPA. This was on the heels of a ban enacted by the European Union earlier that year.

The pioneer of the BPA movement in Baby-World seems to be Born Free (www.newbornfree.com) they launched the first completely BPA-free bottle and sippy cup line and their products are now widely available at Babies R US, CVS pharmacies and all over the web. Other companies are slowly starting to follow in their footsteps, as the word gets spread and sales figures drop. The Sassy brand is taking steps to remove PVC from their toys and their top bottles are already BPA free. The Mam Ultivent Bottles are one of my personal faves! GreenPeace has graded the baby and toy brands in their efforts to rid their baby lines of PVC. Sassy, Chicco, Evenflo, LEGO, Tiny Love, Gerber and Brio top the list of brands who have taken steps or greatly improved their line!

I’ve heard that the plastics are okay as long as you don’t heat them in the microwave, is this true?

No. It is true that you can prolong the releasing of BPA by not heating your bottle, but that also means no sterilizing or washing in hot water. It is recommended that you throw out bottles after they are old, show wear or have a scratch.

What about MY baby’s bottles?

Here’s a list that can help you sort your cupboards!

BOTTLES:

BPA Free:

Adiri Natural Nurser

Avent Tempo System

Born Free Bottles

Evenflo Glass Bottles

Gerber Bottles (Clear View, Gentle Flow, and Fashion Tints)

Mam Ultivent Bottles by Sassy

Medela Bottles and all pump products

Nuby No-Drip Bottles

Playtex Nurser (the one with the liner)

Contains BPA:

Adiri Breast Bottle (the one that looks like a boob)

Avent

Dr. Browns

Munchkin

Second Nature

All other Evenflo Bottles

All other Playtex Bottles

First Year (all, including the new Breastflow)

SIPPY CUPS:

BPA Free:

Avent Magic cup

Muchkin Cupsicle

Born Free Toddler Cup

ALL Take n Toss products (~phew!~)

Contains BPA:

All other Sippy Cups

PACIFIERS:

BPA Free:

Soothies

Playtex “Binkie”

Gerber’s Nuk line

Contains BPA:

Every pacifier that has a hard plastic shield on it is made with BPA. These can still be used safely although it is recommended that they are not heated and that they are replaced often, as soon as they show wear and tear.

Where can I find out more Information?

http://www.bisphenol-a.org/

Proud Mama
04-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Some of the Playtex Sippy cups are fine. Just look under and if it says 1, 2, 4, or 5 in the triangle, it is safe to use. I searched the net about this in 2006 , when they came out with the study done in California. You also find the bad plastic in the Heinz baby food containers that are made of plastic and any canned products. The inside of the can is sealed with a sealant who leaks chemicals. Crazy what they will do to save a bit of money on the products.

MichelleM
04-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Walmart and Toysrus pulled almost all there bottles and sippy cups off the shelves.

dan j
04-19-2008, 09:36 PM
There is a store in Rothesay that sells kid friendly (and adult too) products to drink out of. It's called Little Bundles Baby Boutique.

The GF and I got Kleen Kanteens.

Proud Mama
04-19-2008, 10:50 PM
I can't believe they took so long to pull the bottles off the shelves. This report came out before in 2005-06. That's when I switched my Avent bottles to the Playtex with the drop-in bags. There are more and more safe options available now.