PDA

View Full Version : Car Batteries/Winter Time

Rickster
01-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Just some useful advice when not running your vehicle often in the cold weather. If you are going to let it sit for a couple of days or several days especially in the below Zero weather then I would suggest that you either remove the battery and bring it in the house or go to Canadian Tire or other store of your choice and buy a Battery Blanket.These wrap around your battery and plug into your house so that your battery will always stay warm and fresh(so to speak).If placing your battery in the garage or basement with a concrete floor,make sure you put a piece of plywood or any kind of wood under it as for some reason the concrete will damage your battery in time.(suggested by Garages). May be a bit of a pain in the butt but far better than going out in the Cold trying to boost it,isn't it !? Hope this helps those it applys to(people that don't drive that often in the Winter). - Rick.

oasis
01-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Just remember when bringing a battery in the house, even sealed lead acid batteries give off fumes. Be very carful where you store it. My nieghbor put his in front of the window by his door. His wife decided to wash there curtians and when she was done they were little more than rags. The acid from the battery destroid them.

Rickster
01-23-2007, 07:52 PM
No sense making everyone paranoid; How many 'weeks' was it there. Maybe he had it on a charger with the 'caps' off which would tend to emit a certain amount of 'gas' or 'fumes'(which is why you should charge a battery in a well ventelated area) other than that there's nothing to worry about unless you want to put it under your bed,LOL,lol. Never heard of that(rotting curtains ?) happening in all my life ?!??? Been around cars for most of it(35yrs.) -Rick.

oldnugly
01-23-2007, 08:23 PM
just a fyi.....while being charged they will give off flammable fumes. if the acid is spilled on something it could ruin it. and if left out in the cold in an uncharged state they will freeze and be ruined.

oh and that white powder that grows on the posts, dont put it your eyes.
i put a lot of things in my eyes and thats gotta be the worst.

well i didnt do it on purpose

the second time

oasis
01-23-2007, 08:29 PM
He travels on and off so I have no idea how often or for how long. I know it wasn't a one time thing.

But any lead acid battery, being charged or not emits fumes. Charging them obviously increases the fumes. I deal with them a lot my self in emergeny communications systems. If not properly ventelated they pose several problems. Most have been mentioned here already.

The point I'm trying to make is simply be careful how they are stored. When stored keep them away from pets and children. A well ventelated area is needed, and charging is best done out side or in a garage.

adm
01-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Unless, of course, you drive an old VW Bug :biggrin: (that just happens to be for sale!) - then you can go out and start it once a month, or once every couple of months if you want....regardless of weather!

:rofl: