PDA

View Full Version : Car heater

MrsBeasley
01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
The heater (fan) in our car seems to want to work when it wants to. My husband first noticed it last week, he took a trip into town, it worked fine, he stopped and did whatever businedd he had to do and when he came home it wasn't working. From then it works off and on.

Any suggestions??? A new one at Saturn is over $300 and we have a little fella sitting in the back seat everyday at 6 am. I don't want him to freeze yet I don't want to have to replace it if we don't have to.

Rickster
01-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Well...Here's what I did to alleviate the problem with an older truck I had,don't know how the access is to your fan. Mine use to do the same thing,and always on the most miserable days,lol, so I had to get out and go under the hood and Tap the fan housing several times and the fan would come on.after I shut it off for awhile the same thing would happen so once again, the same remedy.Eventually I took off the plug going to the fan and cleaned both that and the contact on the fan itself and on top of that oiled the fan shaft itself.Lucky in MY case that was a problem solved.I realise the newer vehicles have all this tucked away so only after removing whatever 'housing' is covering this fan,can you gain access to it. Sounds like a lot of bother but far better than paying out $300.00 plus labour.Hope someone in your household is mechanically inclined.Like I said,worked for me.-Good Luck ! - Rick.

MrsBeasley
01-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks Rickster I'll pass that info on to hubby who's going to the garage thursday for other reasons. LOL I'm the handy one in our family, however I don't fancy working outside with metal in these temps. Brrrrrrrr!!!!!