PDA

View Full Version : Life's mysteries

icedragon
01-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Why is it everytime I call any kind of tech support or sales (call center) I am getting people who can't speak english? As if it's not fustrating enough that I'm getting reamed without lube because of a crappy product followed by crappy service. I purchased a product based on service. I speak english. You could at least have the decency to hire people who also speak english. Now when I need service I call and if the person on the other end tells me his/her name is wallchuihjdhgg djkdsdjsalkujrnerhrh I simply ask to speak to someone who speaks english, If I don't get one right away I call sales and end the service. When they say why, I tell them.

ceg
01-22-2007, 05:26 PM
You try being an english speaking person who has to take calls from customers who barely speak english. At least 70% of my calls are all people with accents, some very heavy.

Everyone deserves a decent job which most of them aren't getting. When they move centers to India some of those people only get paid $1 a day and get a meal.

Just because they have an accent doesn't mean they can't help you. It just takes a little bit of effort on your part.

icedragon
01-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Your paid to put up with it. I'm not paying for a service I don't get. Companies are moving support to countries like India because it's much cheaper for them. More money in their pockets.

fullprop
01-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Yeah, we are paid to put up with it. Doesn't mean its right for some jerk client on the other end be a complete butt hole.
The reps that may take your call might have an accent or whatever, but if given the chance, would probably help you with your issue quite quickly. Might just take a few extra moments big whoop. Many of them are better educated then a lot of people on these forums.

I'd much rather deal with an educated person with an accent on the phone, then some dilhole around here who was born and raised and has troubles with the language or comprehending anything remotely resembling customer service.

ceg
01-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Your paid to put up with it. I'm not paying for a service I don't get. Companies are moving support to countries like India because it's much cheaper for them. More money in their pockets. It's not just that they are moving support to other countries. When I call other departments where I work I talk to people who are Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Mexican... and they all work in Canada. Face it, this nation is diverse.

Remember, they may have an accent to us, but we have just as much of an accent to them. At least they make an effort to learn the language here so it's convenient to us and they stand a chance of fitting in, we don't do the same for them.

fullprop
01-22-2007, 07:13 PM
I agree with Ceg.

Cherry Pop
01-22-2007, 07:13 PM
I hear ya! Well I think it's pretty bad when you call about your student loans and you can't understand the person. I just hang up (sorry) but if I can't understand what they are saying when I ask to be put through to someone else... and I call back. Then you have to go through like 20 more min of waiting to get someone all the while praying that they will speak english!

The_Dave
01-22-2007, 10:31 PM
If you don't like it ( the support ) don't buy it!!! Simple as that. The wave of the big corporations is to ship all customer service jobs overseas or to some other 3rd world country to save money ( increase profit for shareholders ) They couldn't give a rats#$% about the customer. This has been happening for years. Do your research and if the support for your product is overseas or in a 3rd world country, don't buy that product. Soon enough, all call centres will be elsewhere anyway, so buy Canadian while you can. Just have a look at what dell has done over the last few years. They have invested more money ( billions ) in India than they have in North America ( and they are not the only ones ), but all the profits are lining the ceo's and shareholders pockets in North America. There isn't any allegiance to one's country any more by these corporations, but they sure as hell don't mind taking OUR tax dollars for their so called tax breaks and job creation schemes, etc. It is all about greed and not looking out for your own backyard first!!!!!!

dollydoo
01-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Why is it everytime I call any kind of tech support or sales (call center) I am getting people who can't speak english? As if it's not fustrating enough that I'm getting reamed without lube because of a crappy product followed by crappy service. I purchased a product based on service. I speak english. You could at least have the decency to hire people who also speak english. Now when I need service I call and if the person on the other end tells me his/her name is wallchuihjdhgg djkdsdjsalkujrnerhrh I simply ask to speak to someone who speaks english, If I don't get one right away I call sales and end the service. When they say why, I tell them.

In my opinion, I think this is in a way, a racial thing. I'm not saying you are, However the post comes out that way. Also, if you think about it im glad that big companies are helping the third world countries. Don't you remember the concert they had 2 years ago about ending poverty? This all has to start somewhere. Think about how they feel for 1 second. Picture yourself on the other end and hearing some customer tell you that they want a chinese operator, or whatever culture the customer is. Wouldn't that make you feel unworthy of helping them?? Think about it. That's my opinion anyway, you don't have to agree as you have already stated.

The_Dave
01-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Hey dolly, where in the *removed*do you think the money went from those concerts???? Yep not into the poor people's pockets. Also any time we ( Canada ) give aid to another country it is ripped off by the politicians of those countries. Shall we say dictators. Ever here of the oil and diamonds in Africa!!! There is enough there to bring that country out of starvation and poverty believe it or not, but where do you think the money really goes?? Can you say Europe and North America. Yes dolly you would not believe the money, natural resources ) that is raped from 3rd world countries by north american and european nations. Let me give you an example; DeBeers = Diamonds. How many of you women out there have a diamond on your hand that some poor man or boy dug up in a mine for pennies so it could be sold on the open market for thousands of dollars so you can say to your girlfriends, Oh look at me I am engaged. Someone probably died for that diamond. Think about it.
Or how about the everyday oil companies that are over there for nothing but sheer profit and destroying and polluting the lands while they get their oil.

People are dying in these countries to try to earn a living for their families and for what?? North American and European greed!!

devils_advocat1
01-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Just a note on the first post of this thread...if you find it hard to talk to them when they are trying to speak english, you ocviously havent tried talking to them when they live in quebec and try to speak french. thats a real kick in the ass to try to understand what they are saying let alone help them with a problem or have them help you with a problem. the foreiners that speak english are easy to deal with and to comprehend, try your toungue at speaking with them in french and come back and tell us what you think, id be very interrested to hear your feedback

subaru2222
01-23-2007, 02:27 PM
In my opinion, I think this is in a way, a racial thing. I'm not saying you are, However the post comes out that way. Also, if you think about it im glad that big companies are helping the third world countries. Don't you remember the concert they had 2 years ago about ending poverty? This all has to start somewhere. Think about how they feel for 1 second. Picture yourself on the other end and hearing some customer tell you that they want a chinese operator, or whatever culture the customer is. Wouldn't that make you feel unworthy of helping them?? Think about it. That's my opinion anyway, you don't have to agree as you have already stated.

Well your opinion is wrong. Its not a racial thing at all. The big companies helping out 3rd world by paying the people $1 a day and a meal. Sure it helps some but what about people in Canada that have no money pay them and support your own country. If you cant understand the person then what can you do. I use to work for a call center that moved 90% of the support to India. I use to get calls from people thanking me for speaking English. they just could not understand the other people. Why should the person that paid good money for something and need support call and not be able to understand the tech support person? And why should they be forced to listen to them for hours until they understand them. People that call for help are already mad because it does not work right so have to be on the call longer then they need to makes them madder.

Cherry Pop
01-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Sorry but I'm not being racist when I want an english speaking person to speak to about my financial situation like student loans! I need to understand what they are saying so I can make an informed decision! Otherwise it might cost me money I don't have!!!

Camaro
01-23-2007, 03:50 PM
It is not racism at all! Yea, Everyone needs a job! I have the utmost respect for all countries and there diversity! But when these multi million/billion dollar companies open a call center off in pakistan to save some money...Especially when there are next to no jobs here. It isn't right! The jobs here in Canada is what should be put first, Especially when the companies are Canadian and American companies. Where I come from you look out for your own! We as canadians need jobs as well... And yes, The people off in Pakistan can probably help us as much as someone here in Canada could, But having said that it is just a save money scheme for big corporations. They could care less about your paycheck or if you can't find a job and are hungry, It's who will work for the cheapest. And it aint right! P.s When people from other countries come to canada, They come for the freedom and to be a part of the best country in the world! They have to adapt to our culture, Not vice versa. Then we lose who we are as canadians...

The_Dave
01-23-2007, 04:33 PM
It does backfire on these companies also because if the people aren't working then who will buy their products??

marriedchickie
01-24-2007, 06:10 AM
I am not racist, I love being Canadian, and I do get frustrated when trying to deal with people who speak other languages, but try to learn to speak english. I work at a call center myself and deal with others with heavy accents. We aren't paid to put up with "crap". I try to think of it as they are frustrated, but I am doing my best to help them. (And F.Y.I. I deal with Canadian and American people, and have heard quite a few different accents, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, East Indian, you name it.)

I understand that people immigrate here to be free and to be Canadians. Why wouldn't people want to be? We live in the best country in the world. But...saying that...I don't think we lose on being Canadian, if they bring some of their beliefs and culture with them. We are a diverse nation. We belive in freedom of speech and thought. I like the differences we have as individuals.

I do believe as well that we should take care of our own problems first. How many times do you walk around uptown and people are pan-handling? I have had people come up to my car at fast food restaurants in the drive thru and ask me for spare change or a hamburger.

I know that some of the student loan calls go through NCO here in this city, or at least they used to. But, you just never know with all the different cultures and languages here in this country, you may be calling inside Canada (or the US) and just don't know it.

PS..we even checked up before I got my engagement ring. We bought a Canadian diamond.

puppyluv
01-24-2007, 07:46 AM
guys, language is an issue whereever you go. You think we dont sound funny to people in other area's of the country? Ever listen to someone from certain area's of Nfld? Or Quebec? Or evn here in NB?

I understand the issue..but lets be realistic, it does sound kinda "racist"

Mandi
01-24-2007, 08:33 AM
I feel RUDE asking someone to repeat theirselves 8471534865 times in a 45 minute call that should have lasted maybe 13 minutes. I think it would save much hardship if I could ask to speak to someone who didn't have a thick accent. I would be more embarrassed if someone couldn't understand me and had to repeat myself to them frequently than if they had asked me to speak to someone else.

girdy
01-24-2007, 09:42 AM
The posters indicating issues didn't say they bought their products at Walmart, but I'll use them to highlight my point.

The reason we can buy cheap stuff at places like Walmart, is because they continually look for ways of reducing cost and reducing prices. The call center jobs came to Saint John because at the time (low Cdn. $), it was cost effective to move the jobs here. The next natural evolution was to move the jobs someplace cheaper, and 5 years from now the jobs will be moved from India to someplace like Nigeria because it's even cheaper.

If any of you complainers have EVER bought something from one of the box stores, particularly Walmart, you're contributing to the frenzy for lower prices, which can only be done profitably by a company reducing it's costs. People want the low prices, and then they complain about the steps the company took to give them the cheap goods. Walmart isn't the United Way, nor are they the Welfare Office. The mandate of the company IS to make profits for shareholders, and the corporate officers have a responsibility to make the profit. Any of us with Mutual Funds in our RRSP's, are relying on these companies making a profit so that we have a good retirement income. (Personally, I don't hold any US Mutual Funds)

Like other posters have mentioned, you have the choice to stay out of the box stores, buy Canadian products in locally owned stores, and then you don't have to deal with the overseas call centres. Of course, I hope you enjoy watching your Canadian-built TV. Anyone find it odd that people are upset that telephone support for their made in Japan, made in China, made in Taiwan goods bought at a US-based store are provided in India, rather than in Canada?

orange
01-24-2007, 03:31 PM
+1 to what girdy said

Also, Wal-Mart is a good example of a company that profits off exploitation:

- they have been found to use sweatshop labour in developing countries, where people are paid terrible wages and forced to work practically like slaves ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4243676.stm )

- they even force their own workers in the US/Canada to work unpaid overtime ( http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/12/20/national/main533818.shtml )

- and when they come into a town, they kill small businesses by having cut-rate prices, and then raise the prices later:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/transform/protest.html
http://www.aflcio.org/corporatewatch/walmart/walmart_4.cfm

So by continuing to use companies like Wal-mart, we are in some ways supporting the "low price culture" that leads/encourages to companies to do things like outsourcing call centres and using sweatshop labour.

The Indian call centres are even like sweatshops in some ways:
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,59477,00.html

Proletariat of the world, unite! :biggrin:

The_Dave
01-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Puppyluv, I don't think any of these posts are racist. People are frustrated. We are losing jobs to overseas and 3rd world nations, we are discrimated against getting government jobs because we are unilingual (english), when we do call somewhere for support, in most cases the people cannot even speak proper english, let alone understand what you are calling about.

We do want low prices as girdy said, but the corporate greed has to stop somewhere because there will be no one left to buy the products.

sjchickie
01-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Why do run of the mill white people accuse others of being racist over something like call centers customer service not being able to speak english. here is how i look at it...im all for diversity ....But when im home on my lunch and trying to have a discussion with someone at rogers in a limited amount of time and you get someone who can barely understand you and vice versa its not racist its frustrating. Everyone has a right to complain about something that frustrates them. I am far from racist but i truly believe that when these people from 3rd world countries are getting hired they should be taught more English. Im paying my hard earned money to rogers or aliant or whoever to have there services one of there services is to provide me the paying customer with proper customer service if i spend my entire conversation trying to get past what im calling about then they arent really upholding there end of the contract.
Just my 2 cents ....I dont think anywhere in here is racism...I just think its frustrated people...but most of these people who work in canada that cant speak great english do deserve a good job and a fair chance but maybe companies need to consider the language barrier

icedragon
01-24-2007, 07:01 PM
I have read every post here and a few things stick out. First, I am not racist. I speak 3 languages travelled the world and have a daughter in eastern europe where I used to work. Second, I do know what customer service is. I have done it for 3 years. It's where I had to work when I was between contracts. I did end purchasing products from the companies I am complaining about. I bought 2 clients a year and a poweredge server every 3 years from dell.(just for me) Every bid I have ever put in I used dell computers. I told them I was no longer using them and the reasons why. Some of you are missing the point completely. Jobs are being exported out of Canada and into another country. At least if the jobs were still in Canada, there would be a chance to speak to someone who you can understand. Next, I don't live in India. I live in Canada. The main language is english. The accent is english. To all the complainers here who work in a call center, I can't wait until the day your jobs are in India (and it will come). Then come back and post.

The_Dave
01-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Well said icedragon

fullprop
01-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Wow...thank you for that great bit of optimism for the future job market in this city. Yes, I work in a call center, and you know what, eventually they will be gone thanks to a shifting marketplace and the fact the Canadian dollar is getting stronger. That makes it financially tougher for big corporations to keep the centers here. Why did call centers come here in the first place...we offered a bottom line that made financial feasable sense to the company at that time.

Guess what, Saint John used to have a very successful shipbuilding industry at one point. Eventually their were other shipyards that offered a lower price to build, so companies (and the government) started using other shipyards.
I'm sure this little tidbit will end up producing some sort of anti-Irving rant from someone, but thats off topic.

Yes, Canada is an English country primarily. But to say that you expect a Canadian accent when your talking to someone? I'm sorry you may not be a racist person, but that sure as heck is a racist tendancy. I'm guilty of it as well when I call somewhere and have frustrations.

But you know what....there are people who work in other types of service areas that are hard to understand. I've been to stores in this city who employ people who look Canadian, and were born and raised in this city, and you couldn't understand a word they said when they talked.

jdcb
01-25-2007, 01:33 PM
we are discrimated against getting government jobs because we are unilingual (english)

That's not discrimination, that's called being a bi-lingual provience...

icedragon
01-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Wow...thank you for that great bit of optimism for the future job market in this city. Yes, I work in a call center, and you know what, eventually they will be gone thanks to a shifting marketplace and the fact the Canadian dollar is getting stronger. That makes it financially tougher for big corporations to keep the centers here. Why did call centers come here in the first place...we offered a bottom line that made financial feasable sense to the company at that time.

Guess what, Saint John used to have a very successful shipbuilding industry at one point. Eventually their were other shipyards that offered a lower price to build, so companies (and the government) started using other shipyards.
I'm sure this little tidbit will end up producing some sort of anti-Irving rant from someone, but thats off topic.

Yes, Canada is an English country primarily. But to say that you expect a Canadian accent when your talking to someone? I'm sorry you may not be a racist person, but that sure as heck is a racist tendancy. I'm guilty of it as well when I call somewhere and have frustrations.

But you know what....there are people who work in other types of service areas that are hard to understand. I've been to stores in this city who employ people who look Canadian, and were born and raised in this city, and you couldn't understand a word they said when they talked.

Yet another point missing astute forum reader. I paid for a service. See the word Paid. Paid money for a service. Because I do not understand a word, Not one word, Not even part of a word, I am not getting the service I paid for. If you went to some food place, ordered and paid for your food then the person came out and your food was all like green and rotten but you were not entitled to a refund. Wouldn't you be upset. Somehow this got turned into a discussion about call centers. I do realize I added to it. It's not about call centers. It's more about gettting what you paid for and about companies caring about their customers concerns.