PDA

View Full Version : Ugh Help!

FutureChief88
03-26-2008, 08:05 AM
I am almost 7 months pregnant and i have this HORRIBLE cold/flu
I can handle the cold symptoms, but its the flu. I am aching all over and not sleeping. On top of all that i have a horrible cough and chest congestion. Everyone in my house is sick.. but i cant seem to get the rest i need to get better.
On top of that i have the regular aches and pains that ppregnancy brings.. but i also have a diplaced hip or something.. and when i am pregnant any activity really Hurts me.
anyone have any ide aif i can take anything..
I have asked the pharmacist.. and i am awaiting a call from the doctor. but the pharmacist just said honey.. but not too muchy. lemon, tylenol.. blah blah blah. I have been popping tylenol like they are going out of style (which does nothing)..and the honey and lemon does nothing either.

I am working 40 hour weeks and have a 5 year old at home and a sick hubby as well.
Anyone PLEASE HELP!

babydoll101
03-26-2008, 09:59 AM
We are going through the same here. I have to bring my 4 month old to the doctor today. She is weezing and can't breath very well. I have 4 children and the only one that isn't sick is my husband. It is awful. The baby has it the worse though.
Everyone of my pregnancies I was very sick. I think pregnacy messes up your immune system really bad. I wouldn't be taking all that tylenol though. You never know what it could doing to the baby. But on the other hand you shouldn't have a fever when pregnant either. I would definitely go to your doctor and see what they can do. Maybe your doctor could perscribe something for you. Be sure you don't get dehydrated. That happened to me and I ended up staying in the hospital.
Good luck and I hope you feel better soon:)

FutureChief88
03-26-2008, 10:47 AM
I was told my the pharmacist as well as the docs secretary that tylenol was ok.. They said 2 extra strength tylenol.. which worksd out to be about 3-4 regular strength.. and thats what i took.

Yes everyone in my house is sick.. My boyfriend is about 2 days ahead of me..a nd my daughter is about 2 days behind.. So i know whats coming. I dont have anymore time at work.. but i just cannot handle this any longer. I am in pain all over.. Everywhere.. and i think most would be cured with a little GOOD sleep..

brindleblonde
03-26-2008, 10:58 AM
It might sound funny , but it does work is to heat up gingerale pop and add a teaspoon of sugar drink it like you neo citrin nice and warm..Hope it works there is nothing like being sick when your pregnant...or little ones . if you have a fever cut up a potato and put it on the top of your feet and your chest..It work my daughter almost died from fever cause i couldn't get it down and my landlord was polish she did it to my little one within 30 min fever broke..

sarahnb
03-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Tylenol is fine during pregnancy. Tylenol arthritis is a slow release formula so it's steadily released. Advil is not safe. massage therapy is great for your hip issues. Send me a pm if you need the name of someone and be sure to ask your doctor for a note for massage so you can have it covered. What about gravol to help you sleep. I am pretty sure it is safe during pregnancy but check with the pharmacist. Dan at Shoppers, Westmorland is great to ask as well as Angie at mcAllister lawtons.

angelaa
03-26-2008, 11:32 AM
I feel so bad for You, Last Month we took turns in My House, It lasted about Two Weeks, Let me know if There is anything I can do to Help. Try to Keep a window open to freshen the germy air. and get as much rest as possible. Hope Your feeling better.

patbez
03-26-2008, 11:36 AM
I am 5 months pregnant & currently dealing with a chest cold. Luckily I didn't get the flu this year [well, yet anyway...knock on wood]...but this chest cold is getting to me. I'm coughing, wheezing, laying awake at night while my throat makes this wheezy, gurgling, popping sound.

I tried to go to Saint Joe's on Monday...boy was that a mistake. It was PACKED, the triage nurse ignored me when I told her I was pregnant [didn't even ask how far along I was] & told me my wait would be about 3 hours. When I told her we'd probably just head home she was super rude & shoved my medicare card at me...I'm sorry, but chest colds could be or could turn into pneumonia or bronchitis, which isn't very good for mom or baby...& she didn't even seem to give a damn. I know other people that were very sick were waiting too, but 5 months pregnant sitting for 3 hours in a crammed waiting room with people that were surely battling the flu etc.? Just didn't seem safe to me.

Anyway...def. drink lots of fluids. & Mucinex is safe to take while pregnant. I haven't been able to get any yet, but hopefully I'll get some tomorrow & relieve some of this fluid or mucus in my lungs, yuck!

Good luck!

FutureChief88
03-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the well wishes guys. I just got off the phone with Dr. Sanderson.. and he informed me for the aching.. I COULD take advil.. Which completely threw me off. He said its not something they reccommend to pregnant women... but it is ok to use short term from 26-34 weeks. He said they dont like to tell patients that becasue advil is so readily available.. and women would be using it for every ache and pain.
He also said to stay away from ANY decongestant.

I have been sick PLENTY of times before.. but this is a weird one. U know how you get the rumbling chest.. i DONt have that.. but my chest feels "cold" if that makes any sense.. My chest and my back. Also, the aching!
It feels like i had worked out for HOURS yesterday and i am feeling it today. I assume this is the flu. I do not have any Stomach Flu.. Just the colf/flu aching and whatnot. I mean i have heard of people "aching" but i just always thought they were crazy. I feel so weak and tired.. yet i cant sleep.

Any home remedies.. that doesnt include Medication to help a person get to sleep?

I was told gravol was not good..But then again that was by the pharmacist.. i forgot to ask sanderson. :(

patbez
03-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Hmmm...he said no decongestants? I think some are fine...here's a list of things it's considered low-risk to take in moderation during pregnancy: http://www.babycenter.com/0_chart-over-the-counter-medications-during-pregnancy_1486462.bc

Gravol is usually not recommended to pregnant women, so I personally wouldn't take it. It's one of those things where you be taking a risk, albeit small. It has shown some deformities in rats in lab tests, so yeah...they usually say if you're preggo, stay away.

sanstu
03-26-2008, 12:49 PM
So sorry you guys are feeling ill. Try drinking tea with lemon and a tad of honey. A warm bath also but only if you have no fever.Continue with tylenol as directed for fever and pain. Lots of rest and lots of fluids(clear are best) and when all else fails chicken noodle soup. If you are suffering from tightness in your chest and wheezing please head to the nearest clinic, as that sounds like pneumonia. Good luck ladies and get to the clinic. I'm not sure but can you use ICE?(the stuff you use for muscle aches and pains) I find this works well. Heating pads also work well. FC and patbez, I really hope you feel better soon.

FutureChief88
03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
No i dont want to go to the hosp. I think if he was concerned about pneumonia he would have suggested i come see him.
When you go to the hosp you go right to labour and delivery. I was there a few weeks ago with pain in my abdomen.. and they made me feel Rediculous.. so i wont be going back unless absolutely needed. I have an appt with sanderson Monday.. so well see.

I have tried the tea with the honey.. lemon.. Chammomille. Sticking my face over a hot sink.. The vicks on the feet.. Tylenol.. Candies (to ease the coughing) everything thats seems to be available to a pregnant person but to no avail.. I just want some SLEEP. :(

wow .. i was just looking at the list, and i have been told not to take most things on there. The cough drops.. and degongestants. As recently as today and last night. and it says you can take nytol..

I wonder if i could at least take one dose of that with nothing else.. and see if i could at least get some sleep.

FutureChief88
03-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Ok all..So i just found out that its ok to take Benadryl allergy.. which i could use for sleep.. but i wonder if it i ok to use in conjunction with Ibuprofen or Acetamenophen

patbez
03-26-2008, 01:35 PM
You only go right to labour & delivery if you're past 5 months & it's pregnancy related. I looked at the paperwork I have before I went & it said for anything non-pregnancy related [meaning, it didn't have to do with your actual baby or a pregnancy issue] you have to go to the regular clinic like everyone else :/

I don't have any tightness in my chest...just some wheezing & burning sometimes when I cough. I have researched it online & it is not always pneumonia...it could simply turn INTO pneumonia if one doesn't take care of themselves. Besides those few symptoms, I'm fine. No fever, no cold, no chills etc.

FutureChief88: Isn't it tough?! So much info, from so many different places...& who knows what the heck is right! I think the key with that list is that the stuff should obviously be taken in moderation, low doses & only when very ill.

FutureChief88
03-26-2008, 02:24 PM
No when you are 20 weeks or more.. You are forwarded to labour and delivery. You register in Emerg.. and they send you up there.. Because they almost always want to hook u up to the baby monitor. Trust me .. u want to go there anyways.. cause when i was 18 weeks.. I went to emerg.. and was prescribed meds.. then i mentioned about wanting to hear the babys hb and the doc says "what.. your pegnant"
Like CMON PEOPLE! get me a dctor that knows whats going on. I went for my last bout with UTI.. and was sent to L&D. When you are viably pregnant.. everything is handled through labour and delivery.

I know Pat.. Its so confusing. I spoke with a friend of mine last night.. who tells me look... If you are SICK and in need of comfort or rest.. TAKE SOMETHING. Shes said u know if you take it once or twice.. its not going to hurt anyone.. Now if i was taking these thing on a reg basis.. there might be concern.. But this is Short term usage. But i am sooo worried about harming the baby.. and what IF something happened.. How would i EVER forgive myself? Even tho i think most of these studies are based on concern with the first trimester.. but i am considered in my third trimester right now.. so....?
I ALMOST took a nyquil last night.. but i decided to wait. Altho i believe 1 nyquil wouldnt have hurt the baby.

Seriously what is the difference between taking meds for a few days to fight the flu.. Versus mothers who smoke throughout their whole pregnancy. They OBVIOUSLY dont recommend smoking while pregnant.. but people still do it and have VERY healthy babies.

jennifer25ca2006
03-26-2008, 02:40 PM
No i dont want to go to the hosp. I think if he was concerned about pneumonia he would have suggested i come see him.
When you go to the hosp you go right to labour and delivery. I was there a few weeks ago with pain in my abdomen.. and they made me feel Rediculous.. so i wont be going back unless absolutely needed. I have an appt with sanderson Monday.. so well see.

I have tried the tea with the honey.. lemon.. Chammomille. Sticking my face over a hot sink.. The vicks on the feet.. Tylenol.. Candies (to ease the coughing) everything thats seems to be available to a pregnant person but to no avail.. I just want some SLEEP. :(

wow .. i was just looking at the list, and i have been told not to take most things on there. The cough drops.. and degongestants. As recently as today and last night. and it says you can take nytol..

I wonder if i could at least take one dose of that with nothing else.. and see if i could at least get some sleep.

The same thing happened to my friend we went right at 730 in the am and the idiots that were working made her not want to come back. Well she wasnt feeling to well last night and she called the 3rd fl first and they assured her that they would treat her well. We went up and they were awesome. This was aty about 1am so try going at night and call before you go see who you talk to cause they were really good to her last night.

FutureChief88
03-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Well i called before i went last time.. Cause i dont want to make a mountain out of a mole hill.. but i am at high risk for pre-term labour.. and having never felt labour before.. I thought i was starting..
They didnt even hook me up to the monitor to see if i was contracting. I mean.. i obviously wasnt now that time has passed.. but they made me feel like a cpmplete idiot.
they had this resident (helper) on duty.. and he asked me every question but how many piece pf toilet paper i used to wipe myself with.
Seriously" Have i even been treated for depression, and what kinds of meds i was on" what does that have to do with ANYTHING?

I mean either way... they made me feel so stupid about going for help.. that i will have to be LEAKING water before i go up again.. and even still i assume ill ask advice on here first!

patbez
03-26-2008, 04:06 PM
This is on the mission statement paper I got for the family medicine prenatal clinic at Saint Joe's...

"For any urgent problems, we ask you see your family doctor, the after hours clinic or the emergency room. For any urgent pregnancy-related problems after 20 weeks [5 months], you should go to Labour & Delivery after registering in the emergency room"

Therefore, since it was not a pregnancy related problem, I did not go to Labour & Delivery...I did what the paper stated to do. However, if I WAS supposed to be in Labour & Delivery, the nurse should have asked how far along I was [she didn't] & sent me there...but since she didn't ask how far along & said I'd have to wait 3 hours with everyone else...well, I can only take that to mean I was not supposed to go to Labour & Delivery.

Anyway...if I decide to go back I may try to go to L&D, but I'll feel stupid if they send me away.

MrsBeasley
03-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Ok all..So i just found out that its ok to take Benadryl allergy.. which i could use for sleep.. but i wonder if it i ok to use in conjunction with Ibuprofen or Acetamenophen

Benadryl also works as a cough suppressant, I'm surprised a Dr. or Pharmacist didn't tell you that.

babydoll101
03-26-2008, 07:19 PM
I realize you can take tylenol during pregnancy. What I meant was to take as directed. I was refering to this statement from your previous post....

"I have been popping tylenol like they are going out of style (which does nothing)"

Hopefully some of these suggestion will help you out. I think I might try some;)

FutureChief88
03-26-2008, 07:49 PM
This is on the mission statement paper I got for the family medicine prenatal clinic at Saint Joe's...

"For any urgent problems, we ask you see your family doctor, the after hours clinic or the emergency room. For any urgent pregnancy-related problems after 20 weeks [5 months], you should go to Labour & Delivery after registering in the emergency room"

Therefore, since it was not a pregnancy related problem, I did not go to Labour & Delivery...I did what the paper stated to do. However, if I WAS supposed to be in Labour & Delivery, the nurse should have asked how far along I was [she didn't] & sent me there...but since she didn't ask how far along & said I'd have to wait 3 hours with everyone else...well, I can only take that to mean I was not supposed to go to Labour & Delivery.

Anyway...if I decide to go back I may try to go to L&D, but I'll feel stupid if they send me away.

Well i am not sure about that clinic.. as i have said before Saint Joe's have no clue what is going on. I was told i had a miscarriage.. (i am now 7 months pregnant)

Anytime i have gone to the regional and tell them i am pregnant (now it goes without saying) they auto send me to L&D. without even asking what is wrong.

L&D would never turn you away.

Also.. when i had pains urinating and i was SURE it was a bladder infection the last time.. The refused to treat me at the AH clinic.. they told me to go straight to the doc or hosp.. And seeing how dr sanderson is such a busy guy.. i didnt want to bother him.

Anyways ladies.. I am going to try the benadryl.. I took the advil earlier and it seems to do nothing as well. I think i just need a good nights sleep.

Thanks all.

livkat
03-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Benadryl also works as a cough suppressant, I'm surprised a Dr. or Pharmacist didn't tell you that.
The antihistamine in Benedryl also works like gravol to help with nausea, as well as making you sleepy, as f.c was wondering about.
Also, Future Chief, I have a nine month old and when I was pregnant last winter with her, I was admitted to hosp for vertigo and phnemonia, what I found helped the cold and aches( that I was allowed to use) was taking a bath with the euycalyptus bath you can buy for babies, and also using vicks vapour rub on your chest and back.

Proud Mama
03-26-2008, 07:56 PM
When I was pregnant with my daughter, I got a really nasty cold/flu at about 30 weeks pregnant and the doctor did not want me on anything, even though I was suffering. She was really against medication. I waited a few days and was told to go see a pharmacist, as they have the book for medication in pregnancy. I went to Shoppers in the valley and they were really helpful. She went through everything with me and told me I could use a decongestant spray for the nose, as I was really congested. I took the one called Drixoral. It has less medication than the others per spray and still worked great. They also told me I could take the Tylenol/Advil in small dosage for pain. They won't let you take anything in the first three months, as this is when the fetus is developing really fast but after that they will give you medication you can use. I found the pharmacist more knowledgeable than the doctors for medication, as they are always kept up-to-date on what is going on in the field. I breastfed for a year so I had to watch everything also after pregnancy. They were really helpful. Hope your cold/flu goes away real soon, as I know how hard it is.

As for your hip, I had back problems when I was pregnant due to a car accident I had quite a few years ago. When I was six months pregnant, the pain started and would not go away. My doctor sent me to a chiropractor that deals with pregnant women. He did wonders for me. I tried the massage but it only gave me temporary relief. I actually needed to get readjusted. Good Luck.

FutureChief88
03-27-2008, 11:05 AM
well i had never seen anyone about my hip. I injured it when i was pregnant with my daughter.. and havent had many problems since.. Now of course with the pregnancy.. Its coming back. I assume it has to do with the pos of the baby and all as well. pressure.. and all that good stuff.

Anyways ladies.. i think i got a good sleep last night :S but i still dont feel any better today.

But thanks for all your help!

patbez
03-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately, I can't go to the regional for something like a chest cold...
considering I live uptown & don't have a vehicle. I simply have
to go to Saint Joe's, no matter how crappy it is :/ I guess I just
assumed you were talking about Saint Joe's & you probably assumed
I was talking about the regional, hehe.

Hip pain...very very common is pregnancy, regardless of if you
have a previous injury or not. I hear from a lot of women that
have had hip pain during pregnancy. I haven't had any YET,
except for when in bed, due to laying on the left side. I'm
normally a tummy sleeper, hehe.

FutureChief88
03-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Well Pat.. Mines on my right lol

Maybe we could trade off,,, :)

sarahnb
03-29-2008, 01:52 PM
A good resource for medication in pregnancy and breastfeeding is http://www.motherisk.org/women/index.jsp
With my last pregnancy, I had pleurisy, an infection in the lining of the lung and fractured a rib because a cold went untreated. My doctor was an idiot.
I've had surgery and a major car accident and had to call about meds and breastfeeding. Your doctor can also call or consult motherisk or Dr Hale http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/medicationforumspage.html