PDA

View Full Version : Dog Treat Question???

domarloc
01-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Hello Everyone! Does anyone have any ideas on what I can give my dog for a bone or a treat that is long lasting? I have given her rawhide and it is gone in a few hours, those Denta-bones are gone a couple minutes and I went to the Pet Corral and paid $8 for this big old knuckle bone expecting this would last her a while and it was GONE in a couple hours. I just want to give her something when she is going to be left alone for a long period of time to break her day. Any suggestions???

adm
01-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Have you tried the marrow bones? You can fill them with a peanut butter and garlic mix (gross, eh?!) and other treats - stick it in the freezer overnight and give it to your pooch when you're leaving. Once it starts to thaw they fido will smell the garlic and work away at it for hours. You can get them at Pet Corral usually filled with peanut butter, but you can wash it out and reuse it.

you can always try a larger kong, too - filled with the same gross mixture. If your pup likes it, the kong is indestructable and can be used over and over again.

Instead of rawhide, try a 'nylabone' - another great chew toy and virtually indestructable.

Good Luck!

MrsBeasley
01-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Ever thought of using a Buster Cube or similar treat dispensing toy? I use a Buster Cube and a Treeat dispensing Ball and load them with some of their regular dog food. They spend time rolling these around and a kibble will tumble out once in awhile if they flip the cube the right way, the ball allows them to roll out easier therefore it emties out sooner.

My dogs also love Nylabone (the knotted ones that resemble rawhide bones), Kongs are good toys too. Just make sure you get these toys appropriate for your dog's size.

Misty589
01-22-2007, 04:08 PM
our dogs like pigs hooves they are only 1.49 at global pet foods and last awhile, i have a husky rottie mix a doberman and a dogo argentino

domarloc
01-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks everyone! I am definetly going to look into getting some of the listed treats and hopefully they will last.

dittydottie
01-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Our dog loves carrott sticks as a treat.

The_Dave
01-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Oh don't worry about it, I am sure the old pooch will find your shoes sooner or later. hehe No really, go to city market as they used to give away bags of bones for dogs at the meat shops. They may charge now, but just get the big ole ham bones, I hear they are they best and do not splinter so much. Most of that stuff you get at pet stores is not natural to an animal and rips their bellies and other areas on the way down. They are just trying to make money off of you at these puppy mills. I would never feed that garbage to my dog.