PDA

View Full Version : Information on buying a boat

shadoww
03-19-2008, 08:36 AM
We would like to buy a small boat for this summer to use at our summer place. Nothing extravagant just something we can use to go tubing.

However we know nothing at all about boats and are wondering what it entails like:

Do you need a lisence? If so do you need some sort of course on driving one?
Is insurance costly?
Do they need to be registered?

Any info anyone can pass along would be appreciated, thanks!

blepton
03-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Hi there. My dad owns a boat, but I don't know much about it. You should be able to get all the answers to your questions other than insurance through the Service New Brunswick website (www.snb.ca) or by calling them at 658-2500.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your boat, they are alot of fun.

shadoww
03-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks, i just did a search there on Boat Info but not much came up, nothing about buying a boat just about the environment and boating.

rhiley_08j
03-19-2008, 10:12 AM
It all depends on the size of the boat and the motor you will be using. In your case where you will no doubt be using a pleasure craft with more than a 10 hp motor you will need to take a pleasurecraft operators course. Also you will also need to register your ownership of the boat if you wish to take it on waterways within the province. However, if for example you own a small aluminum with say a 9.9 or smaller motor than you do not need a pleasure craft licence.

shadoww
03-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Would a boat that has a motor of 4 or 6 HP be able to pull a tube? Also where are these courses offered? Our plan is to use it on the lake at our campground.

rhiley_08j
03-19-2008, 10:39 AM
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/sc/boats/instructions.shtml

Here's a link that might provide some help. Also you can call our local SNB at 658-2500. They have some indepth info there.

rhiley_08j
03-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Would a boat that has a motor of 4 or 6 HP be able to pull a tube? Also where are these courses offered? Our plan is to use it on the lake at our campground.

It will pull it, but probably not the way you invision.;)

shadoww
03-19-2008, 10:52 AM
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/sc/boats/instructions.shtml

Here's a link that might provide some help. Also you can call our local SNB at 658-2500. They have some indepth info there.

Excellent thanks!