PDA

View Full Version : where to go for unclogging drain?

callinq
03-19-2008, 07:42 AM
There is a piece of drainpipe that is clogged in my basement that I cannot unclog. I tried the liquid plumber and even purchased that long flexible steel thing for unclogging your drains but it simply cannot be reached.

Who would be able to help me with that?

I was also thinking about drilling a small opening in the drain (it is a galvanised drainpipe) and remove the clog with the flexible unclogging-thing but can I just saulter the hole i drilled afterwards? Or will this start to leak? I have no experience with galvanised pipes.

thanks!

Leanne

Damage82
03-19-2008, 07:48 AM
USe something better than liquid plumber, I know Kent's has a product called Clear Line.... very strong. Just be careful when using it. Comes in a white/clear bottle sealed in a plastic bag.

icedragon
03-19-2008, 08:11 AM
don't drill any holes.

Any plummer can unclog it. You may be in need of a longer snake (flexable metal thing)
Are you on a septic with no overflow or dispersal field?
Is nothing draining in your house at all?

callinq
03-19-2008, 08:32 AM
well it's kind a hard to explain, my flexible snake (LOL) is long enough but is not flexible enough to go through the first bottle neck (the part were the water is keeping the smell from coming up). If I could push it through that part I would be able to do it with the flexible snake.

Using a different liquid plumber is not an option I just don't think the liquid is reaching the cloth.

callinq
03-19-2008, 09:55 AM
don't drill any holes.

Any plummer can unclog it. You may be in need of a longer snake (flexable metal thing)
Are you on a septic with no overflow or dispersal field?
Is nothing draining in your house at all?

The thing with plumbers is that I live in Grand Bay and even the plumbers in the Yellow Pages make excuses NOT to have to drive to Grand Bay.

We live in a duplex. The water from the kitchensink upstairs and the washer is being drained through that pipe. Because of the clog the water is being pumped into the kitchensink of the basementapartment. That has a seperate drain to the septic.
Does this make sense?

Kristen
03-19-2008, 02:35 PM
I had the same thing happen to our new home. My plumber went out after trying everything possible to unclog and rented this electric snake. I am not sure where he got it but I am thinking A-Z rentels or Kennebecasis rentals somewhere like that and pushed the clog right through. No problem. I am sure that anyone can rent these and we could have just done it ourselves but we had the expensive plumber come(lol)Hope this helps

icedragon
03-19-2008, 07:01 PM
What drain are you trying to shove the snake down?
If everything in your house is clogged, then you should be using the toilet.

Kristen
03-19-2008, 07:18 PM
The thing with plumbers is that I live in Grand Bay and even the plumbers in the Yellow Pages make excuses NOT to have to drive to Grand Bay.

We live in a duplex. The water from the kitchensink upstairs and the washer is being drained through that pipe. Because of the clog the water is being pumped into the kitchensink of the basementapartment. That has a seperate drain to the septic.
Does this make sense?

Yes because it always comes up the lowest drain first! Get the electric snake it will work..........

icedragon
03-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Your either going to need a much more flexable snake, or your going to have to cut some pipes. You will have to snake from the kitchen sink downstairs. I know you mentioned you have metal pipes but are all the pipes metal?
If they are you can try and take out the trap in the downstairs sink and try and shove the snake through. I'm thinking even with a flexable snake this won't work because there is a 90 degree elbow there and the snake would have to be so flexable that it will not be stiff enough to catch the clog.

If the pipes under the downstairs kitchen sink are ABS(black plastic) I would just say cut it and put in a coupling in to fix it later.
If you take that route, be sure to cut it well below the 90 degree for the trap so you have room to fix it and room to shove the snake down. Now, if you do that I still can't say it will work, there might be another 90 degree elbow somewhere before the blockage. I can't tell from Sitting at my computer in Saint Martins (although a 90 is a good place for a clog)

If the pipes are all metal under the kitchen sink, I really don't want to say cut it. I mean it can be fixed. If the metal coupling has to be lead sealed its going to cost to fix it. There is a boot gasket you can buy to join metal to metal pipe or metal to ABS pipe but sometimes the hose clamp doesn't go on tight enough. I've broke a few of them trying to stop them from leaking.

callinq
03-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi Icedragon,
thanks for your reply!
Putting in the snake from the kitchensink wouldnot work because of the lay out of the pipes. I am going to rent the electric snake from A-Z in Rothesay. Hopefully that'll work !!

callinq
03-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Well, we had to call that unclogging company now anyway, $ 240.- :( Let's just hope we are not running any clogs now !!
They were pretty good by the way, good service... but the bill was hard to swallow. Thanks everyone !