PDA

View Full Version : Flue

BK-SJ
03-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Did anyone hear about a flue going around. We woke up this morning with vomite all over my sons crib. I dont know if that would be due to teathing? He has had the flue shot, i thought he wouldn't get sick (i was wrong). Someone told me that 2 kids have died do to being sick in the past 2 weeks (did anyone hear that?) any help would be great.
Thanks

sarahnb
03-16-2008, 02:24 PM
The flu shot only protects against certain strains of the flu. You can still get sick even if you have had it.

MichelleM
03-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I heard the flu shot this year was only good for one strain. They normally have three strains that it protects against but this year one was gone before the season started and they thought that one would have mutate quickly by now so that left only one.
I had a really bad case. I threw up non stop for 2 days and it is very contagious everybody that I have known that was in contact with myself or somebody that had got it. It was really bad.

Kristen
03-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Two kids dying....I think that was hong Kong

ab
03-16-2008, 02:56 PM
my husband works on rothesay ave the secratarys grand daughter did die from the flu that is going around. 2 1/2 years old very sad.2 of my childrean and myself are just getting over it.namonya (spelling?) is going around aswell. so everybody be carefull and do not secound geuss youreself take the kids in to the docter just incase.

sanstu
03-16-2008, 03:47 PM
the "flu shot" does not protect against gastritis.(inflamation of the gastric wall caused by viruses) Norwalk Virus is one that comes to mind. It is extremely contagious.

Influenza, also known as the flu is a contagious disease that is caused by influenza viruses. These viruses infect the respiratory tract(nose, throat, and lungs) Influenza comes on suddenly with fever, headach, malaise, cough, sore throat, nasal congestion and body aches.

puppyluv
03-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Also, the flu shot only protects for a short period of time, not the entire winter.

So wash you hands constantly people, cover your mouths when you cough so as not to spread it either.

sanstu
03-16-2008, 04:51 PM
You could also stay home until fully recovered form either one. Don't send your kids to school or daycare if they are showing symptons of either influenza or gastritis.(throw-up flu.)
And yes wash your hands correctly;45 secs, hot water lots of soap, making sure you clean hands, fingers, and nailbeds.

smith
03-16-2008, 04:57 PM
my son been sick latley but it's hard to tell if he has the flu or not as he has acid reflux where he will throw up anyways but he's been doing that a lot more latley and has a stuff up noise and watery eyes . he's just been diagnosed with asthma and the doctor is thinking about chaning his medication again for acid reflux. he throws up even if it's two hours after a feed he thows up in his crib so i'm consitanly changing him as wll.

sanstu
03-18-2008, 09:47 PM
hi smith, has your little ones formula been changed?

smith
03-19-2008, 08:15 AM
he's still on alimentum. he started going down hill again when his doctor tried to take him off his medication and tried to put him on regular milk which didn't work at all and ever sence that he hasn't been the same.

sanstu
03-19-2008, 09:58 AM
smith, have you talked to your Dr. about switching his formula again. He may do better on Nutramigen.(for babies with cow's milk allergy) Insist that your son be refered to a pediatrician.(Dr. WendyAlexander is excellent) Make sure you are giving the correct amount of meds.. Your son's dosage should be increased as his weight increases.This should only be done by the Dr.. Feel free to PM me .

MichelleM
03-19-2008, 11:14 AM
The alimentum is also for cow milk allergy and soy allergy. That would be why the dr. would have prescribed this. Both my children were allergic to cow milk and this was prescribed rather than take the chance of a soy allergy also.

sanstu
03-19-2008, 12:28 PM
smith's baby is having further testing

smith
03-19-2008, 01:58 PM
he's now going to be addmited up at the hospital in moncton for some more testing just don't know when yet.

babydoll101
03-19-2008, 02:24 PM
I am aware of what Alimentium is and it's ingredients. Alimentum also contains hydrolysed cow's milk protien. Smith's child is not doing well on this formula, and also has reflux, which is being treated with meds. I was suggesting an alternative, which works well in infants with serious milk protein and soy allergies. Nutramigen is also available by prescription, and should only be used under the guidance of the child's primary health care provider.

I wish I still had a can of Alimentum with me right now. It is not supposed to have any cows or soy milk protein in it at all. My daughter had an opperation on her stomach when she was 3 weeks old and could not have any milk protein at all and that is the only formula out there that has neither it is an oil base formula.

sanstu
03-19-2008, 03:10 PM
I wish I still had a can of Alimentum with me right now. It is not supposed to have any cows or soy milk protein in it at all. My daughter had an opperation on her stomach when she was 3 weeks old and could not have any milk protein at all and that is the only formula out there that has neither it is an oil base formula.

info not required

sanstu
03-19-2008, 03:11 PM
he's now going to be addmited up at the hospital in moncton for some more testing just don't know when yet.

Please keep me posted. I hope all goes well for you.

FutureChief88
03-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Yea.. Lets not argue.. Just try and help these people struggling with their children..