PDA

View Full Version : Atlantica Party to become registered party in NS

atlanticaparty
03-14-2008, 07:53 AM
HALIFAX, Nova Scotia, March 12, 2008 - The Atlantica Party today has started its campaign to
achieve official provincial party status in Nova Scotia. Central to the campaign is a series of
public meetings where citizens can learn about and ask questions of the Atlantica Party. Along
with this the Atlantica Party is officially accepting party memberships for the first time.

The meeting schedule is available online at www.atlanticaparty.ca/html/events.html

"This is the start of the mass movement for change in Atlantic Canada," said Jonathan Dean,
leader of the party. "It is critical that we meet with and be questioned by citizens all over the
province in order to build our credibility and to explain our policies of electoral reform, political
reform and a debate on Atlantic Union. Nova Scotia is just the start, we will be initiating similar
campaigns in the other three Atlantic Provinces in the future."

The Atlantica Party will advance a debate on Atlantic Union. The Atlantica Party will also
reform the provincial political system by re-establishing the independence of the Legislature.
This sharing of powers between the citizen's representatives in the Legislature and the Executive
will encourage freer debate, better decision making, and establish stricter public oversight of
government operations. The Atlantica Party will also institute several direct democracy tools for
use by citizens, including Citizen's Initiative and Recall.

The Atlantica Party will introduce British Proportional Representation (also called STV) for
provincial elections and ban election contributions from all sources in favor of equal election
financing for each candidate. Citizens shall also be able to vote directly for a Premier. These
reforms are needed to ensure fairer elections, allow more political voices to be heard, encourage
citizens to become engaged in elections, and present voters with more electoral choice.

The Atlantica Party is committed to Atlantic Rights and increasing the voice of the region within
Confederation in order to reverse the neglect of this region by the Federal Government.

About The Atlantica Party
The Atlantica Party is a new provincial political party founded by a group of concerned citizens.
It is based in the region made up of the provinces of Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia,
Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick and is working towards increasing the common good
of the people of this region.

For further information:
Jonathan Dean, Leader
1-902-446-6694
info@atlanticaparty.ca

For further information about The Atlantica Party:
www.atlanticaparty.ca

atlanticaparty
03-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Atlantica Party leader to appear on Breakfast TV on March 26th around 7:20 am

Freudian
03-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Basically, they want to make one province called "Atlantica" that would include NB, NS, NFLD, PEI in order to somehow force the Federal Gov't to pay more attention to Atlantic Canada and obviously put more funding into our systems.

Since this is in a discussion forum, I think it's time for Saint John people to voice their opinions and provide some information and insight into this matter.

I don't know a whole lot about this Atlantica Party or the idea they are suggesting, but I'm going to offer my opinion on the matter.

First off, I think it is pretty unsettling that a group of people had to go so far as to form a new political party (or try to) in order to get the Fed's to pay attention to us. Second, I think it is great that these people are so enthusiastic about the issue to go this far and I hope they keep moving forwards with their plan.

That being said, I don't much like the idea of loosing our individual provinces (NB, NS, NFLD, PEI) in favour of a brand new province called "Atlantica". Don't get me wrong, the reasons behind it are great and the name sounds good; however, I really don't think many of the residence of the Atlantic Region are going to go for the idea of a new province. I personally like the names of the provinces the way they are. I think all four of those provinces are different enough. Having visited all of them many times (though only 3 weeks in NFLD) you certainly notice the differences. Loosing individuality is not something Canadians or the human race, for that matter, enjoy giving up very easily.

There could be another way to achieve unity without loosing our individuality. We could have another type of governing body that represents all of 'Atlantica' as if we were all one province, but as a regional area instead. That body could work with the representatives in each the the Atlantic Provinces to make ourselves a larger player in Canada and in that way be able to receive better funding and recognition.

I hope others will voice their opinions as this is a very important topic and I can see this issue going quite far and becoming a historic event at some point in the near future.

Freudian

atlanticaparty
03-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Basically, they want to make one province called "Atlantica" that would include NB, NS, NFLD, PEI in order to somehow force the Federal Gov't to pay more attention to Atlantic Canada and obviously put more funding into our systems.No. We are proposing an Atlantic Union of the four provinces to strength the region by having a larger economy, regional management of regional issues in addition to a more unified voice inside Canada for Atlantic Rights. We do not propose any name for the region, that has to be decided at the time by the people. We certainly do NOT propose Atlantica.

Since this is in a discussion forum, I think it's time for Saint John people to voice their opinions and provide some information and insight into this matter.Absolutely. We have been getting A LOT of interest in and around Saint John.

I don't know a whole lot about this Atlantica Party or the idea they are suggesting, but I'm going to offer my opinion on the matter.Please visit our web site at www.atlanticaparty.ca (http://www.atlanticaparty.ca), it is very comprehensive. Please email or post your questions.

atlanticaparty
03-23-2008, 06:18 PM
1. Membership and donations are now being accepted electronically
through the party website at
http://www.atlanticaparty.ca/html/join__donate_.html

2. We are seeking volunteers all over Atlantic Canada to help with
events, please email us at info@atlanticaparty.ca if you are interested.

3. The Party Leader, Jonathan Dean, will appear on Breakfast TV on
Wednesday March 26th around 7:20 am

4. Our first public meeting will be held on Monday March 24 at 7pm Room
2016 McCain Arts & Social Sciences Building, Dalhousie University in
Halifax, NS. More events are planned and are continually being updated at
http://www.atlanticaparty.ca/html/events.html

atlanticaparty
03-28-2008, 10:45 AM
The Atlantica Party posts offical bio of the leader, Jonathan Dean, on the party website;
www.atlanticaparty.ca/html/leader_bio.html

inuit
03-28-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't know. I think we will get our dues and voice in time. If any of you are old enough to remember, it wasn't too many years ago Alberta was a have not province relying on handouts from Ottawa to help feed themselves. Back in the sixties/seventies I think. I'm sure someone will find out for sure. They've sure come a long way baby, maybe we are next.

atlanticaparty
04-01-2008, 09:14 AM
There is a move to have one or more public meetings in and around Saint John to find out about the Atlantica Party. Is anyone interested in helping out?