PDA

View Full Version : Pay it Forward, the big "GIVE" whatever you want to call it....

tred816
03-10-2008, 12:33 PM
If you've watched either the movie, Pay it Forward, or the tv show, Oprah's Big Give, I'm sure you can imagine how great it would feel to help out others in need.

I've been going through my house, clean sweeping it if you will because I'm trying to minimize the clutter before we move. It'll also make it easier to sell our house if we declutter now.

As I go through my things, I realize, we have TOO MUCH. WAY too much. Too many toys, too many clothes, too many collections.

I have friends who are struggling single parents, I'm sure lots of you do too. We all know someone, who knows someone else who's starting over, or someone who works with someone struggling to get on their feet after a difficult transition in his/her life.

Before you toss something because you think no one would use it, judge it by it's usefulness to someone who may not be able to afford it.

If you don't know anyone who could put it to good use, let me know if you have any furniture, utensils, pots and pans, tv's, clothes etc.... I have lots of connections to people who work in Shelters and charities who would be very appreciative of these items.

It really doesn't take much to make a difference. Every little bit helps.

My friend Andrea has a beautiful baby boy named Bastien. Bastien is very sick and he requires a lot of health care. He spent the first several months of his life at the IWK hospital.

Andrea works full time and has struggled to get a health card to cover his medication. Even still, there are times when his medication isn't covered by the health card. She has two other sons as well and both are wonderful young men.

It's terribly sad that in this day and age, a 1 year old child should have to go without medication just because our government chooses not to cover it.

Obviously, as any good mom would, Andrea always finds a way to pay for it, but anyone looking to help someone out, should consider Bastien to be a worthy beneficiary.

Andrea could chose the easy way out and stay home on assistance (which would be perfectly reasonable under the circumstances), but she doesn't. She is taking a huge uphill battle, setting a great example for her boys and works tirelessly promoting charities for the IWK because she's so grateful for what they did for her son.

Help me to help her and Bastien...let's see what we can do if we work together.

andrea
03-10-2008, 05:53 PM
i think its a very nice thing you are trying to do..tred(lol)
and it is just nice if people keep in mind that every one has a struggle..and some times just askin "do ya wanna talk".. is just as good as giving them something:)
would like to hear how people "pay it foward" as u say,,,
i try every day to make sure that i am aware that other people see me as this kind of person...good..kind..thoughtful...for real..having a sick baby changes your life..just metting the people that i have had the chance to meet working with the iwk telethon this last year was life changing!!
volunteer..make a supper for some one..slip ten bucks under a random apartment door...anything!
i love my job cause it gives me a chance to pay it forward every time i go to work!