PDA

View Full Version : tvs at walmart

beachnut
03-03-2008, 07:17 PM
The other day i was at walmart... i was in the checkout. I look up and what do i see? A tv, replaying the same commercial over and over. This angered me. Because it's so ridiculous. Argh.. whatever. So today i am in walmart again, and i notice more tvs, but these ones are at the end of the shopping asiles. What THE!? We are not bombarded enough by TVS and advertisements? We are IN the store.. what else do they want from us?
I know some ppl think i am overreacting lol, and i'm sure i am. But does anyone else think it's so ridiculouse to have these tvs at the ends of every single checkout , and the end of the aisles. I mean , COME ON!!!
haha

Adam-07
03-03-2008, 07:46 PM
After working there for 3 months last year I learned most of the management at walmart are not very bright people. Maybe they just like television a lot?

inuit
03-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Maybe management need that spray of prozac instead of the customers.lol

kaj27
03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
If you take a visit to the US they have the same system, they have had theirs for years though.

Personally it doesn't bother me, I don't look at them so meh.

trinity
03-03-2008, 09:01 PM
It bothers me at Tim Hortons, in the drive through. Um, just like Walmart, d'oh, I'm IN the drive through, you've already got me as a customer. We as a people have become so saturated with advertising that I think we are beginning to tune most of it out, which makes them feel the need to trap us in other ways. How about making your product something I actually want. and following it up with service?

dan j
03-03-2008, 11:05 PM
umm...

i have no idea what to say to this thread.

the fact that you're at wal mart or tim hortons means that you're part of the culture that advertises in this way. if you wish not to be part of this culture, do not shop at wal mart or tim hortons. seriously, it's like going for a swim and complaining that you get wet.

oasis
03-04-2008, 06:37 AM
K-Mart and Zellers did this for years. Only difference is it was over the P.A. system instead of TV's. You'd be walking along listening to that puke inducing MUSAC then all of a sudden a commercial would come blaring on.

It's called advertising. Do what most people do. IGNORE IT! It's not doing you any harm. It's there way of say HEY we sell this item in this store go check it out.

inuit
03-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Oh if only they would save some of the advertising money and use it to hire more staff at walmart already. Try looking for something and trying to find a staff member. I don't buy Tim Hortons. If anybody needed Prozac it"s Tims customers. Some of them would run you and your grandmother over to get to their Tims. Never heard of coffee pots. sheesh.

oasis
03-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Walmart is no different than most department stores. They are not interested in customer service. They are only interested in profit. A TV is a one time expense were as an employee is an ongoing expense.

Ask anyone who has ever worked for them. They tend to not want to give any employee enough hours to even live on. My wife worked there for 4 years. Except at Christmas she was lucky to get 24 hours a week. And to get that you had to work 6 days a week.

And don't you dare get sick and need a day off!

wookiee
03-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Its called advertisment! If it was my places/company I would do anything to promote products....even putting in tvs. I call this smart thinking....

rhiley_08j
03-04-2008, 05:20 PM
The t.v.'s don't bother me too much, they are all about impulse buying, and guess what, it works. The thing that drives me nuts is the new speedy check out PA system... Please go to 3, please go to 6, please go to 4, please go to h---. Because that is where I feel like I am at when I have heard it for the 100th time. I feel so sorry for the staff members that have to listen to that non-stop for a whole shift.

inuit
03-05-2008, 09:19 AM
OMG rhiley I say the exact same thing lol I hate them I feel like I'm in one of those futuristic movies where the minions are all standing in line and it"s moving like on a conveyor belt. I hope other stores won't go the same way. I hate the self pay too. My god what next. Soon you'll have to pay them just to walk in through the door. As it is you are paying Atlantic Superstore to carry your own groceries to your car and now you're paying them good money and checking and bagging your own food too. Should be saving tons of money right all the money you're saving - but the prices are the same as Sobeys where they check,bag and parcel pick up.

oasis
03-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Is swearing on this FAMILY site really going to get Walmart to eliminate them?

Foxhound
03-05-2008, 03:21 PM
This site use to have good topics to discuss. "TV that run ads while I am at Wal Mart bothers me."
I guess we have nothing really better to talk about anymore. :mad:

beachnut
03-05-2008, 05:30 PM
the reason i posted about this is because, FOR ME, when i see things like this it just makes me feel so old because i just can't get over All the technology taking things over. It's not just about the fact tvs are there.. i just see it differently then these other people i guess. When i look up and i see a row of flatscreen tvs, one at the end of every checkout, so like, probably around 10 or so.. and then i see more flatscreen tvs at the end of every (or so, can't remember) aisle..it just makes me feel like i can't believe how much the world has changed.. yeah.. i know, it had also changed a BUNCH from when my parents were children to where i was a child.. but i can still find it unbelievable.

Yes, i do think it's disgusting that these tvs are placed there. Because why do they need to be there? Especially at the end of asiles.. are ppl supposed to stop and watch and back up other ppl? It's just dumb in my opinion.

I don't really want to hear about how i may be contributing to all this because i am shopping at a particular store, it's getting really old hearing that same story over and over.

I don't see how this isn't an interesting topic. I feel it is.. it's just the people replying would rather criticise me for something that is only remotely related to the topic (me shopping at a particular store) than talk about the topic at hand.

This site use to have good topics to discuss. "TV that run ads while I am at Wal Mart bothers me."
I guess we have nothing really better to talk about anymore. :mad:

orange
03-05-2008, 05:49 PM
the reason i posted about this is because, FOR ME, when i see things like this it just makes me feel so old because i just can't get over All the technology taking things over. It's not just about the fact tvs are there.. i just see it differently then these other people i guess. When i look up and i see a row of flatscreen tvs, one at the end of every checkout, so like, probably around 10 or so.. and then i see more flatscreen tvs at the end of every (or so, can't remember) aisle..it just makes me feel like i can't believe how much the world has changed.. yeah.. i know, it had also changed a BUNCH from when my parents were children to where i was a child.. but i can still find it unbelievable.

Yes, i do think it's disgusting that these tvs are placed there. Because why do they need to be there? Especially at the end of asiles.. are ppl supposed to stop and watch and back up other ppl? It's just dumb in my opinion.

I don't really want to hear about how i may be contributing to all this because i am shopping at a particular store, it's getting really old hearing that same story over and over.

I don't see how this isn't an interesting topic. I feel it is.. it's just the people replying would rather criticise me for something that is only remotely related to the topic (me shopping at a particular store) than talk about the topic at hand.

I agree, I think it's an okay topic.

It's along the lines of how in the tv show "Futurama" (set in the year 3000), advertisers advertise *in* your dreams... by using some sort of special technology to broadcast inside your head while you're sleeping :p

All those flashing screens in the store probably don't do much to help with attention spans either. Watching sports replays from even the 1990s is interesting because they're so much less flashy. Nowadays, everything on the screen is constantly moving or pulsating. And even on CNN a lot of times, they're standing instead of sitting, to give the impression that they're "on the go".

Anyway, that's another tangent (re: the effect on attention spans)... But I agree with dan j... advertising like this is kind of expected at a place like Wal-Mart (they have a reputation for treating their suppliers, employees, and even consumers & municipalities in "not the best" way, to put it mildly).

Wal-Mart operates on very low margins and on a very high sales volume. So an inundation of advertising in the store basically has to be expected... It's the price to be paid if you want ultra-low prices (although the biggest portion of the price to be paid is the atrocious exploitation of people in developing countries, but that's a matter for a different thread).

The best thing one could do, imho, is to not shop there :) Dealing with Wal-Mart is like doing a deal with the devil... you may get some benefits, but lose-out in the long-run, and supporting Wal-Mart contributes to worsening conditions for so many people... people in other countries, local small business, municipalities, etc. etc. and even Wal-Mart employees are treated badly and not allowed to unionize.

dan j
03-05-2008, 06:08 PM
good post orange.

Just because you're tired of hearing about something it doesn't mean the argument isn't as strong. Just because you're tired of hearing the same story over and over about Wal Mart's bad corporate practices it doesn't mean we can say, "oh well, we talked about that long enough and I'm really tired of hearing how my personal practices contribute to Wal Mart's bad corporate practices". It doesn't work that way.

You started the thread and if someone wants to address what you've said then you will either ignore it (making the point of "discussion" moot) or deal with the fact that people are going to post things you don't like or are tired of hearing.

beachnut
03-06-2008, 12:43 PM
yes, that's fine you said it..but i did not want this thread to derail completely from the topic i asked about and have everyone start talking about walmart and how bad i am for shopping there. That's why i said that. So i could have more opinions on the tvs and not opinions on why i shouldn't be there to even know they have tvs in there.

good post orange.

Just because you're tired of hearing about something it doesn't mean the argument isn't as strong. Just because you're tired of hearing the same story over and over about Wal Mart's bad corporate practices it doesn't mean we can say, "oh well, we talked about that long enough and I'm really tired of hearing how my personal practices contribute to Wal Mart's bad corporate practices". It doesn't work that way.

You started the thread and if someone wants to address what you've said then you will either ignore it (making the point of "discussion" moot) or deal with the fact that people are going to post things you don't like or are tired of hearing.

dan j
03-06-2008, 12:51 PM
You're not bad, Wal Mart is.

Also, what I am saying is not off topic as the TVs in Wal Mart are one and the same as everything else that they do. The things people said here, including myself, that criticize Wal Mart are connected to how they market themselves to you while you're in their store. You can't just pick out one thing that bugs you about them without looking at the big picture which is what happened here.

Freudian
03-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Alot of people pay more attention to the TV Set than they do their own family members. Just that alone is a good reason for these stores to use TVs to advertise right in their stores. They figure if you are in the line-up for the check-out, you're more likely to watch that TV than to pay attention to your kids or partner. "Shut up Johnny! I'm trying to watch the TV!"

Truth is saddening.