PDA

View Full Version : Vicks Vapo Rub on feet to control cough

MrsBeasley
03-03-2008, 05:35 PM
My daycare worker told me this rumor today that you can check out on snopes.com here:http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/vaporub.asp

She said that to control nighttime coughs in your child to slather the soles of their feet with Vicks Vapo Rub and cover the feet with socks at bedtime and the child should have a cough free sleep.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this and did it work for you. I'm going to give it a try tonight as my son has developed yet another cough this week...oh the joys of daycare lol.

T4
03-03-2008, 09:18 PM
This is an old wives trick. It really does work and helps to sweat out the cold. Same as putting an asprin in gingerale on the stove and heating it, then drinking it. Talk about sweat!! But cures the cold.

Vix
03-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Yep I tried it and it really does work. Depends on the cough as to what extent though. also put some vicks vapo rub under his nose so he's constantly breathing it in while he's sleeping, this helps too, a bit gooey but helps. :) Good luck.

Vix

domarloc
03-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Mrs Beasley, Did the vicks in the socks work for you??

MrsBeasley
03-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Yes, it did quite well. He coughed a bit in the beginning while getting to sleep but once he got into a good sleep he was quiet all night.

For myself, I woke up drenched in sweat. yuk!

domarloc
03-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Good to know. Thanks!!