PDA

View Full Version : Mat Leave EI Question

FutureChief88
03-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Hey Ladies.

Anyone out there gotten Mat leave ei recently? I have an idea how much ill be getting.. Just wondering Approx how long it is taking to get the benefits nowadays. Trying to plan around rent and savings.. its not easy.

jennifer25ca2006
03-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Hey Ladies.

Anyone out there gotten Mat leave ei recently? I have an idea how much ill be getting.. Just wondering Approx how long it is taking to get the benefits nowadays. Trying to plan around rent and savings.. its not easy.

My friend applied first on Jan just got her payment yesterday.

FutureChief88
03-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Was there a hold up?

Did something happen.. cause thats a LONg time to wait without money.. especially with a new baby!

Tania
03-01-2008, 12:49 PM
I waited about that long when I went on Mat leave three years ago.. it was hard..

MichelleM
03-01-2008, 12:51 PM
I waited that long when I went out with my son 2 years ago. They have 4-6 weeks from the date you file your claim. Generally your employer gives you two weeks pay at 60% to hold you a little.

jennifer25ca2006
03-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Nothing was the hold up She had all the info in when she applied. They are just slacking I think. lol

FutureChief88
03-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Yea mine doesnt..
Mine will back pay.. With top-up.. Which i cant apply for until I get EI. God a friend of mine went on Actually Unemployment and get approved and first payment within a month! and thats just for regular EI benefits. 2 Months without EI.. Geesh.. Will they back pay you? everything excluding the 2 week waiting period?

4-6 weeks is one thing.. But 8 Weeks! That seems outrageous!

I am just worrying about my rent. I am planning on going out at the first of may. I figure thatll be the best time based on my pay and whatnot.

ugh.. this is scary!

elaine30
03-01-2008, 01:49 PM
my wait was 4 weeks, and it wouldn't have been that long except my work was late getting my ROE to me.

I only went 2 weeks without a paycheck. My work pay is 2 weeks behind, so it might not be as bad as you think, depending on how and when you last get paid from work.

FutureChief88
03-01-2008, 01:56 PM
How did yours work elaine?
I get paid Bi-monthly and am on salary. So i get paid on the 15th and 30th or 31st of every month.

what would you say would be best? the first or 15th? I have been thinking about it all week long.. going back and forth. I am thinking as long as i have enough saved to cover 2 months rent i should be ok.. But EI will consider mat leave the Day after your last pay right?

I know i have to leave on a pay period to get paid for a full 2 weeks when i come back.. well i dont have to, I just want to make sure i have a goodf pay when i come back.

I ultimately will get my pay at 60% for the 2 week waiting period.. but not until i am approved for my top-up.. Which i cannot apply for until i get my first EI cheque. Catch 22.. LOL

anyway. Any suggestions?

ALSO... Does it affect a person to go on leave a while before the baby is born. My section is scheduled for June 23rd.. And i was thinking about going out on May 1st. I will still get EI right?

nat2003
03-01-2008, 04:46 PM
How did yours work elaine?
I get paid Bi-monthly and am on salary. So i get paid on the 15th and 30th or 31st of every month.

what would you say would be best? the first or 15th? I have been thinking about it all week long.. going back and forth. I am thinking as long as i have enough saved to cover 2 months rent i should be ok.. But EI will consider mat leave the Day after your last pay right?

I know i have to leave on a pay period to get paid for a full 2 weeks when i come back.. well i dont have to, I just want to make sure i have a goodf pay when i come back.

I ultimately will get my pay at 60% for the 2 week waiting period.. but not until i am approved for my top-up.. Which i cannot apply for until i get my first EI cheque. Catch 22.. LOL

anyway. Any suggestions?

ALSO... Does it affect a person to go on leave a while before the baby is born. My section is scheduled for June 23rd.. And i was thinking about going out on May 1st. I will still get EI right?

On the Service Canada website it says you can start to collect maternity benefits either up to 8 weeks before your due date or at the week you give birth.
Have you ever taken the top-up before? It sounds great but you will pay dearly at tax time. LOL. I took it when my 19 month old son was born and had to pay back almost $700 in income tax so when my 6 month old was born I passed on it this time. Another thing about the top-up too is (depending on whether you work where I do), if you don't go back to work or if you quit for whatever reason within 1 year of going back to work you will have to re-pay all the top-up money back.

elaine30
03-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Your last day worked is what EI uses, not your last payday. My situation was that my pay is 2 weeks behind what I work. For example, if my last day of work was march 1, I would still get a pay check on march 15, see what I mean? It sounds like you are in a similar situation if you get paid bi monthly.

Not sure if this is still the case, but if you have sick time, you can use 80 hours(2 weeks) and this waves your 2 week waiting period.

you can start your mat leave before the baby is born, you just end up going back earlier.

FutureChief88
03-01-2008, 05:03 PM
On the Service Canada website it says you can start to collect maternity benefits either up to 8 weeks before your due date or at the week you give birth.
Have you ever taken the top-up before? It sounds great but you will pay dearly at tax time. LOL. I took it when my 19 month old son was born and had to pay back almost $700 in income tax so when my 6 month old was born I passed on it this time. Another thing about the top-up too is (depending on whether you work where I do), if you don't go back to work or if you quit for whatever reason within 1 year of going back to work you will have to re-pay all the top-up money back.

Yep i am well aware of the re-payment plan. but i am not planning on leaving anytime soon. I have been here for ealmost 3 years now.. So im cool with that. Also. I will be out half and half.. So i wont be hit hard at tax time. I am an income tax junkie when it comes to knowing ins and outs.. lol
thanks for the FYI.. but i should be ok.

FutureChief88
03-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Yea i would love to get out on sick leave for a couple weeks.. but thankfully everything is going fine.
A friend of mine thinks ill still get paid on the 15th as well. Of course my company will want that back when i come back to work.. but i hope they dont pay me. I am hoping to go out on May first.. and have my pay on April 30th.. and then thats it..

I hope..
Im scared!

mizunderstood
03-01-2008, 07:43 PM
It all depends on how fast they are at EI. When I went out with my son I had it within 4 weeks, with my daughter it took like 2-3 MONTHS! They had all my ROE's screwed up. But yes they will make your first EI check retro active to the date you were elligable. Hope that helps, and hope everything is going well Futurechef88!

Proud Mama
03-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Yep i am well aware of the re-payment plan. but i am not planning on leaving anytime soon. I have been here for ealmost 3 years now.. So im cool with that. Also. I will be out half and half.. So i wont be hit hard at tax time. I am an income tax junkie when it comes to knowing ins and outs.. lol
thanks for the FYI.. but i should be ok.

I work for the Federal Government and I got the top up too when I went on maternity leave. You do get hit with a tax bill but you also get more every pay than you would normally get. I put mine aside and it covered the tax liability. The only expensive thing is to buy back pension but it is worth it.

I also waited a long period before my first EI check but my work always offers to advance the first 6 weeks and I took advantage of that. It helped.

matthew_scott
03-05-2008, 07:15 AM
I'm on parental leave. I applied on February 1st and they didn't approve it till February 28th. I didn't get a full payment till yesterday.

FutureChief88
03-05-2008, 03:28 PM
It all depends on how fast they are at EI. When I went out with my son I had it within 4 weeks, with my daughter it took like 2-3 MONTHS! They had all my ROE's screwed up. But yes they will make your first EI check retro active to the date you were elligable. Hope that helps, and hope everything is going well Futurechef88!

Thanks Miz.. Everything is going EXCELLENT! I am 6 months today! another 4 weeks and i could have the baby if need be!

So it is true then.. about 4 weeks unless there is a problem. good good.. I hope all goes well!

Proud Mama
03-05-2008, 05:44 PM
One suggestion is to get them to prepare you record of employment quickly, as you need it to file for EI. Mine came from Manitoba and took a while, which delayed my first few payments.

FutureChief88
03-10-2008, 03:37 PM
yea.. I work for a corporation.. so it will be coming from ontario .. i believe.. But i have been told they do it when they do it. They only have 7 days anyway.