PDA

View Full Version : 39 N.B. high school students suspended for drinking on trip

sarahnb
02-28-2008, 04:45 PM
39 N.B. high school students suspended for drinking on trip
Last Updated: Thursday, February 28, 2008 | 8:48 AM AT
CBC News
Thirty-nine students at New Brunswick's Rothesay High School have been suspended for drinking alcohol on a class trip.

The drinking occurred on a weekend ski trip to Mont-Sainte-Anne, Que.

The students had been told not to drink during the excursion and that there would be consequences if they did, said Gary Hall, spokesman for School District 6. Only six of the students refrained from drinking, Hall said.

The 39 students who were caught drinking have been suspended for periods ranging from two to five days, he said.

"There's always been some level of [drinking on trips], and that's why we do chaperone carefully and closely and make students aware of consequences, because it certainly has happened before."

Hall said he is not aware of this many students having broken the no-drinking rule while on the same trip before.

Continue Article

"Certainly we're very concerned about that number.… we're concerned with the safety of students when they're on field trips and under our supervision," he said.

Hall declined to comment on whether the drinking will have an effect on the organization of future trips.

dan j
02-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Good thing no one got hurt. Also, LOL.

FutureChief88
02-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Serves the little buggers right.. LOL

*remembers back to the "old Days"*

LOL

MichelleM
02-29-2008, 12:48 PM
They actually didn't do anything illegal a lot of them were of age in Quebec but had been told not to drink prior to the trip. They didn't try to hide it, they ordered with there meal.

rhiley_08j
02-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Well if the ones that were drinking were 18 (legal age in Quebec) than I don't see what the problem was. In all honesty, most of us have drank underage (in a province where it was illegal) so if they were drinking where it was legally permitted what is the big issue, because they were told not to, they were of legal consent in an establishment that sold liquor. That would be like someone telling a 19 yr old here that they cannot order a beer with their meal. Seriously, we shouldn't be making such a big issue of such trivial matters.

FutureChief88
02-29-2008, 02:50 PM
I would assume because they were under school supervision.

stripekv
02-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Even if they were of age, it doesnt matter..they were on a school trip. before they left they were told not to drink and they were told of the consequences of what would happen if they did in fact drink.

rhiley_08j
02-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah I know... my wife agrees with you guys... I have just always had a problem with authority figures controlling my life LOL:rofl:

inuit
02-29-2008, 06:07 PM
It's like ppl who live in Calais Maine where the drinking age is 21. They come to St Stephen N.B. to drink. When they return to Calais they can be arrested for drinking underage.