PDA

View Full Version : SJ in The Globe & Mail - article about the movie "Stuck"

admin
12-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Saint John is a key part of an article in today's Globe and Mail, about the movie "Stuck" (which is/was being filmed here recently):
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061205.wxstuck05/CommentStory/Entertainment/home

The author of the article calls SJ "grimy", although the lead actor (Stephen Rea) seems to like it:

Stuck on New Brunswick

Stephen Rea says he enjoyed the port city, despite spending most of his time beaten and battered on a film set

CHARLES MANDEL
From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

SAINT JOHN — Small wonder Stephen Rea looks haggard. The Irish actor spent the previous night jammed through the windshield of a car. Later, Mena Suvari smacked him good on the head with a hammer. It's been a rough night.

With the success of V for Vendetta recently behind him, Rea is in the grimy New Brunswick port city of Saint John, filming Stuck. The film is based on the true story of a woman in Texas who committed a hit-and-run after loading up on ecstasy at a night club.

[snip]

In fact, Rea and Suvari (American Beauty, American Pie) are spending five weeks in Saint John, a city the Dublin-resident actor declares an affinity for, not the least because of its questionable weather. "We've had a couple of days of that endlessly grey sky and soft rain. I think when all those thousands of Irish refugees came here from the famine, they must have felt at home."

[snip]

[click here for the rest of the article (http://theglobe.ca/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061205.wxstuck05/BNStory/Entertainment/home)]

iSJ member "silverfern" was the first to comment at the G&M site :)

PS Yes, this could/should be posted in the Local or Books/TV/Movies sections, but is posted here for now to get it better visibility as the new forums get going again :)

yoyoyip
12-09-2006, 07:51 PM
What a goof.

I wanted to add a comment of my own, however they have closed the comments section.

clairegt
12-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Are they done filming that or not? Ive not heard anything about it for a while, but that article says they "are spending 5 wks in SJ', and that was only a week ago, are they doing it in bits and pieces or something?

oldnugly
12-15-2006, 08:38 PM
we are done...all of what needs to be shot in sj is shot. long gone. more big things to come.

daneast
12-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Hey, oldnugly..did you work on this one? I've worked on , ,4th Floor,Blue Hill Avenue, Irish Eyes Are Crying (Re-titled-Vendetta), Jericho Mansion and Open Heart for the locations dept with Jaquie Anderson..loved every second but they are too infrequent to make a steady living at...Might go back to it after my youngest graduates in June of 2007...very interesting work and the crew,grips, electrics, setdeck etc..are great.

As for this city being called "grimy"..a lot of it is whether you want to admit it or not. Part of my job when working on films was to go door to door in areas where filming was to take place with a handout and explain what we are doing, check for medical exceptions, handicapped etc..Well, I have been in buildings that would make your skin crawl...dark, dirty...smells like alcohol, pot, urine..etc. Now, some of the people are nice but some of them, as soon as they hear it is a movie, stick there hands out looking for money. Especially some of the older buildings in the north and south ends..you can tell they were once beautiful and most likely privately owned, but now are rented to whoever and really bad. Sorry ,but the truth hurts. Even on a bright sunny day, some parts of this town are just ...well..grimy is a good description.