PDA

View Full Version : $100 Heating Rebate - APPLY NOW !

NoseToTheGrind
01-18-2007, 07:42 PM
:rofl:The link below will take you to the GNB site where all information is located and explained. Come on Saint John, let's get what we are entitled too...hell who cannot use a free $100 cheque ??

http://www.gnb.ca/0162/tax/Home_Energy/Home_Energy_Assistance-e.asp

magoosmomma
01-18-2007, 09:34 PM
its only for people who make under 25k?

Mandi
01-18-2007, 09:36 PM
its only for people who make under 25k?
yeah.

paak
01-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Sounds like anyone in the household can apply(but only one application per household)...so if a spouse makes less then 25k, they apply :)

(atleast thats how it sounds)

hiph0p
01-19-2007, 01:21 AM
i only had a heat&lights bill from oct-dec can i still apply lol

magoosmomma
01-19-2007, 05:34 AM
I amreading it as only those who make less than 25 k..total family income
"
Total family income will be defined as combined total income of the applicant and his or her spouse or common-law partner living at the same address;
So because I make less than 25k but my total family income is MORE than 25k I dont get it...where is the fairness there...

6sixstring6
01-19-2007, 08:11 AM
I amreading it as only those who make less than 25 k..total family income
"
Total family income will be defined as combined total income of the applicant and his or her spouse or common-law partner living at the same address;
So because I make less than 25k but my total family income is MORE than 25k I dont get it...where is the fairness there...

The fairness is that the people with a total family income of less than 25k who really need the help can get it. There has to be a line drawn somewhere or else everyone would want a peice of it.
Be happy your total family income is more than that, because as hard as you might find it to make ends meet , imagine if you had less than the 25k to get by on. Instead of griping, just remember, it can always be worse.

Dan_Man
01-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Well said 6sixstring6!

Cherry Pop
01-19-2007, 10:38 AM
The fairness is that the people with a total family income of less than 25k who really need the help can get it. There has to be a line drawn somewhere or else everyone would want a peice of it.
Be happy your total family income is more than that, because as hard as you might find it to make ends meet , imagine if you had less than the 25k to get by on. Instead of griping, just remember, it can always be worse.

Thank you!

ChelorSean
01-19-2007, 11:06 AM
yup well said thank you!

dittydottie
01-19-2007, 12:04 PM
You know the only thing that bothers me about this whole thing is it is the hard working families paying high taxes who suffer all the time. I am not against people who don't make over $25,000 because I know that they too do work hard but I am against this whole issue. Most people do have to pay for heat but they can't get one extra cent back as a rebate.I even heard last time this happened people got the rebate but they don't even pay for heat, it was included in their rents.It should be available for all paying out heating money.They are always looking at what people bring in but do they ever look at what people put out!

tessa
01-19-2007, 12:13 PM
You know the only thing that bothers me about this whole thing is it is the hard working families paying high taxes who suffer all the time. I am not against people who don't make over $25,000 because I know that they too do work hard but I am against this whole issue. Most people do have to pay for heat but they can't get one extra cent back as a rebate.I even heard last time this happened people got the rebate but they don't even pay for heat, it was included in their rents.It should be available for all paying out heating money.They are always looking at what people bring in but do they ever look at what people put out!

I did hear that last year when they did this..I believe it was for $250, That it automaticly went out to families with children who got the child tax..who made under a certain amount as well..I know of a friend that got this and she didnt have to show a heating bill, and i do believe that her heating was in her rent..(so there probably should be Rules to this,,having to show your heating bills..Etc)

tryshc
01-19-2007, 12:21 PM
i thought they had like a "keep your recepits from you electric bill, bring them to us..and get a rebate" kinda thing goin on...did they get rid of that?..we live in a smaller two bedroom and pay our own heat and lights...we just turned our heat on for the first time this year about a week ago...but we're still paying 120 a month for lights/heat....

dittydottie
01-19-2007, 12:52 PM
It says to either just include a copy of a power bill or if heat is included in rent then all you need to do is give them the landlords name. This is to verify your address. Check out application from nosetothegrind.

tony_s
01-19-2007, 01:03 PM
i thought they had like a "keep your recepits from you electric bill, bring them to us..and get a rebate" kinda thing goin on...did they get rid of that?..we live in a smaller two bedroom and pay our own heat and lights...we just turned our heat on for the first time this year about a week ago...but we're still paying 120 a month for lights/heat....

The goverment scrapped the program were you saved your bills for 3 months then apply for the rebate on the HST.Now they have brought in this heating supplement for people who make under 25,000.Who knows what they will do next .

magoosmomma
01-19-2007, 01:39 PM
EXACTLY my point

magoosmomma
01-19-2007, 01:44 PM
I am not griping and I have made less ..alot less

My point was maybe what someone pays in heat/electricity whatever should be taken into consideration not just what u make a year.(my self I still dont make anywhere near 25K) but I pay out ALOT in heat .. and after paying for rent /heat/phone etc and feeding and clothing 3 kids..you know it adds up...

6sixstring6
01-19-2007, 02:40 PM

My point was maybe what someone pays in heat/electricity whatever should be taken into consideration not just what u make a year.(my self I still dont make anywhere near 25K) but I pay out ALOT in heat .. and after paying for rent /heat/phone etc and feeding and clothing 3 kids..you know it adds up...

My electric bill comes in at around $3600.00 per year.

How much of a rebate should I qualify for??

magoosmomma
01-19-2007, 03:19 PM
only u can be the judge of that....

I made a statement..you read into how you feel..so be it..I am not going to justify how I feel to you...

Dan_Man
01-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Maybe heating rebates aren't the answer?
Maybe the government needs to better educate people on energy conservation and how simple things can save you money.
Or even invest more into renewable energy sources that don't rely on the high price of oil...

dollydoo
01-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Look at this demo and then think of how much people can save http://power-save.ca/residential.html

Crazyworm
01-20-2007, 09:24 PM
My electric bill comes in at around $3600.00 per year.

How much of a rebate should I qualify for??

I pay 4800 a year on equalized payments, your almost as bad as me, I gotta do something about my energy waste...lol

toodles
01-20-2007, 09:38 PM
they should go after our landlords, who won't put in new windows, fix drafty doors,, who won;'t look after their apt buildings,but yet we have to pay our own heat. Our landlords are the one that need to be educated.

icedragon
01-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Isn't that something the tenancy board is suppose to govern? Oh The tenancy board handbooks are required by law to be given by the landlord to the tennants on the day the tennants move in. If your apartment isn't worth living in, and the landlord refuses to do repairs, there are other avenues you can pursue. Building inspector, Electrical Inspector, Fire marshall. Local paper.

Beechnut
01-21-2007, 08:34 AM
I have never understood why they just don't 'rebate' the heat through the actual heating compaines?
How hard would it be to offer the reabate at the source and not bill the people the $$howmuchever$$ on a one time bill (lets say jan or feb) and then have the govt rebate it back to the supplier. We have how many suppliers in NB? vs the cost of how many checks issued to each taxpayer? The savings there would be great in not haveing to issure individual checks and mail them.

I actually mentioned this it to an MP one time and he had the politicalspeak to actually say "but there would be no control" on that system.....
Hello.... where was the control last time? I heard inmates in jail got them as well I know a senior citizen living in a heated apartment who was happy and could buy more smokes the month she got hers.??

Just food for thought.

puppyluv
01-21-2007, 08:46 AM
we just went through 175.00 in heating oil these past 2 weeks.

this is insane ( and trust me, I am the heat officer..keep it low)

100.oo yeah that helps somewhat..too bad we make more than allowed

stjfairy
01-21-2007, 10:33 AM
I hear you oil does not go far at these prices.

The_Dave
01-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Why should anyone get the rebate????? Do you get a rebate at Sobeys when the price of beef goes up? How about when the price of vegetables and fruit go up? I think not. Power consumption is everyone's responsibility. If you use it wisely, you will save money. If you do not, than you will pay more. I do not want MY/OUR tax dollars rebating anyone. Put a darn sweater on!!!!!!!

Beechnut
01-23-2007, 07:33 AM
I had always considered that the rebate was a rebate of extra taxes paid on the higher prices of oil. The government makes at least the HST (and who knows how much more hidden taxes) , so as the price skyrockets due to the oil cartel's whims, the extra tax we pay for a basic necessities also skyrockets/

It is a way for people to manage to heat their homes and still have money left to shop at Sobeys.

girdy
01-23-2007, 08:57 AM
I had always considered that the rebate was a rebate of extra taxes paid on the higher prices of oil.

That's not what it is at all. The Conservatives were proposing that HST not be paid on heating cost. They were refunding it at the start of the program, the idea was that suppliers would remove HST from the heating bills directly, and by next summer we wouldn't have paid HST on heating. The liberals tossed that out, and are giving $100 to families making less than $25,000. All they ask is proof of residence, they don't even ask for proof of heating costs. This is nothing but a redistribution of wealth from us so called rich people (household income more than $25,000) to people making less than $25,000.

This is a direct copy from the press release from the liberals in December where they announced they were canning the previous program:

"The HST rebate program as originally designed would have cost taxpayers $45 million this year alone. That is a considerable amount of money that would in large measure have been distributed to New Brunswickers who can already afford to heat their homes, and run their natural gas barbecues and fireplaces without government assistance. From a public policy perspective, the program was flawed."

Cherry Pop
01-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Why should anyone get the rebate????? Do you get a rebate at Sobeys when the price of beef goes up? How about when the price of vegetables and fruit go up? I think not. Power consumption is everyone's responsibility. If you use it wisely, you will save money. If you do not, than you will pay more. I do not want MY/OUR tax dollars rebating anyone. Put a damn sweater on!!!!!!!

The poor do wear sweaters! This rebate is to help the poor. From the sounds of it nobody so far on this thread is in that position. It is hard enough for people who are poor to afford food, once all the bills are paid! When the cost of heating goes up then they have to decide to either heat the apartment for their children or feed their children. Which would you do? Many people have lots to say when it comes to the "poor" but how many have actually walked a mile in a "poor" person's shoes?! I'm sorry but I'm so sick of hearing people complain about how hard things are when they live in Beautiful homes, have 2-3 cars, and can afford $200+ worth of groceries. Not to mention all the other things they have. Sorry but This rebate will help a lot of poor people.
I'm not trying to start a fight or offend anyone but just adding my 2cents to this discussion!
I edited this post to take out personal info about me thanks!

The_Dave
01-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Cherry Pop, I have walked a mile in their shoes, heck they were my shoes at one point. What did I do about it?? Re educated myself and got a better paying job. Simple as that. I don't expect handouts and neither should anyone else. Canada is one of the richest and most resourceful countries in this world, there is no excuse for most people to be in the positions that they are in. Some maybe, but most, no darn way. It is called a hand up not a hand out!!

I sympathize with your situation, and god forbid that happens to anyone but I have insurance to protect me just in case. Everyone who works should have it, as a precaution to fall back on.

Cherry Pop
01-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Cherry Pop, I have walked a mile in their shoes, heck they were my shoes at one point. What did I do about it?? Re educated myself and got a better paying job. Simple as that. I don't expect handouts and neither should anyone else. Canada is one of the richest and most resourceful countries in this world, there is no excuse for most people to be in the positions that they are in. Some maybe, but most, no darn way. It is called a hand up not a hand out!!

I sympathize with your situation, and god forbid that happens to anyone but I have insurance to protect me just in case. Everyone who works should have it, as a precaution to fall back on.

Sorry I'm removing this post due to personal info about me! Thanks!

The_Dave
01-23-2007, 04:52 PM
I wish you the best.

tred816
01-23-2007, 07:34 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I was looking forward to getting the hst back. Now, after telling us we were getting it, we now find out they changed their minds.
I'm not poor now, but spent ten years battling the welfare system before I finally got off of it a few years ago, so I've walked that mile ten times over and it is upseting to find out now that I supposedly make too much money now.
I don't qualify for GST, HST rebates, Child Tax Benefits and this past year, the increase in child care benefits because my kids are too old (yet they still require babysitters).
How is it beneficial to get off of welfare if you are penalized for becoming self sufficient? I don't get it. I pay more taxes now than ever before and yet, I don't get anything back. I got enough to get by on income assistance. It wasn't always easy, but that was what I chose at the time. I don't think our system is doing much to encourage the poor to better themselves and think it should be put to better use.
Just my thought on the topic. Take it or leave it.
FYI the link didn't work dollydoo, not sure why, but I just got page not found.

dollydoo
01-23-2007, 09:21 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I was looking forward to getting the hst back. Now, after telling us we were getting it, we now find out they changed their minds.
I'm not poor now, but spent ten years battling the welfare system before I finally got off of it a few years ago, so I've walked that mile ten times over and it is upseting to find out now that I supposedly make too much money now.
I don't qualify for GST, HST rebates, Child Tax Benefits and this past year, the increase in child care benefits because my kids are too old (yet they still require babysitters).
How is it beneficial to get off of welfare if you are penalized for becoming self sufficient? I don't get it. I pay more taxes now than ever before and yet, I don't get anything back. I got enough to get by on income assistance. It wasn't always easy, but that was what I chose at the time. I don't think our system is doing much to encourage the poor to better themselves and think it should be put to better use.
Just my thought on the topic. Take it or leave it.
FYI the link didn't work dollydoo, not sure why, but I just got page not found.

That's really weird. I looked at the site early that day as i was on the phone for an interview with these people. They must have went under or something. Sorry for the miss link people.

puppyluv
01-24-2007, 06:44 AM
I work hard. My better half works hard. We pay enough blooming tax in one year that we could be out fo debt if we didnt have to pay it, Since my taxes are being taken, I DO want a rebate. I dont have a choice who gets it, deadbeat, hard worker, single parent, etc.....but at least give it to the people who pay the heat! (US)

and dave you can live without meat, you cant live with out heat. You have a choice NOT to by meat, you have to have heat.

marriedchickie
01-24-2007, 06:54 AM
I once heard on the radio that accord to statistics Canada, anyone who makes under 10.00 an hour is below the poverty line. Now, where would a average person make over 10 an hour? (without schooling that is) Well I for one have had quite a few customer service jobs, and the only place is a call center.

I just think that there should be more of a in-depth look at a person's financial situation before they approve the rebate. Sorry..just my opinion.

puppyluv
01-24-2007, 07:43 AM
just think that there should be more of a in-depth look at a person's financial situation before they approve the rebate. Sorry..just my opinion.

you are right there..

The_Dave
01-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Puppyluv it is a handout that you and no one else deserves. I do not want you or anyone else getting my tax dollars. Like I said when other prices go up due to the fact that the price of oil goes up and the companies that ship the goods you buy such as meat and vegetables etc. raise their prices to offset that, Do you expect a discount/rebate/handout for that also????

Mandi
01-24-2007, 06:13 PM
I think that the $100 rebate is a good thing. I won't apply for it, I don't feel we need to, but for people on assistance, single mommies, people who just all around have it hard with money... I think they do deserve it. Everyone pays taxes. Everyone. And I would much rather see it go to those who truely need it rather than on lobster dinners, and 300k trips that are completely unnecessary trips for our 'leaders'.

habsfan10
01-24-2007, 06:29 PM
I believe that the 100.00 rebate should go as a credit against your heating bill. That way you cant spend it foolishly--If its meant for the cost of heating, then put it against the heating bill. I make over the 25K, therefor I dont get the rebate, but someone that has heat included in their rent and receive it, at least this way it will go toward the source it came from. Just my opinion!!!!Because if I got the rebate I would put it on my power bill that Im falling behind on.

Mandi
01-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Puppyluv it is a handout that you and no one else deserves. I do not want you or anyone else getting my tax dollars. Like I said when other prices go up due to the fact that the price of oil goes up and the companies that ship the goods you buy such as meat and vegetables etc. raise their prices to offset that, Do you expect a discount/rebate/handout for that also????

Makes me wonder how you feel about the gas prices that just had some taxes removed from them to make them lower.

The_Dave
01-24-2007, 06:44 PM
I would think Mandi that lowering taxes is a good thing. I really am not sure if I understand what your point is. Can you elaborate?

tred816
01-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Here's the thing and I'm sure I'll make a few people sit up in their seats, but my take is this:

The government is continuing to encourage people to leech off of the system.
The government is compensating people for cheating the system by penalizing people when they report common law or married income
The government is encouraging people to stay on Welfare by not providing enough stepping stones and aid to those who are trying to get off but continue hitting the proverbial brick wall
This $100 is another slap in the face to the middle class folks who are working to pay their taxes.

I think it was Mandy who said everyone pays taxes.

14 cents on the dollar that those on Welfare spend is 14 cents the government gave them to begin with, the little bit of taxes they spend doesn't even come close to what I pay in every week.

Justifying it as I earn more so I have luxuries isn't exactly fair when I have to work hard to earn them and others may not have to work at all.
That being said, I hope I haven't rubbed anyone the wrong way, but it rubs me the wrong way when I know the life of luxury I lived staying at home to enjoy my kids versus the hard life I live now being a full time mom, full time business woman, full time wife and housekeeper etc... There's not a lot of luxuries we can afford to waste money on either because our bills are higher as well.

There are expenses that we have now that we didn't have when we didn't work or worked less. That includes much higher gas prices, more organized/quick meals we tend to need due to rushing off to after school activities etc...

There are so many charities out there that if you are poor, you don't even have to pay for $200 a month activities for your kids that I can't even afford, like tykwondo or cheerleading etc... even daycare is covered for those who don't work just so they can get a break, meanwhile I have to pinch my pennies to make sure I don't run short.

So yeah, I have more access to money if I need it now (ie through credit), but I don't get the freebies that I used to get. My family allowance used to be $537 and my GST was $161, now I get nothing for GST and my Family allowance is $118.

I'm happy to get that and am not complaining by any means, but the whole point is the government needs to take a closer look at more proactive approaches to helping people help themselves rather than giving out handouts.

I have no ill feelings towards those struggling on the system or who are struggling due to crappy pay. I just think there aren't enough services to help and the $100 per family for heating supplements as well as the $100 per child under 6 should have gone towards better support and educational programs rather than this.

When I was poor and when my kids were under 6 I thought, "yay $100, but what's $100? It's gone before you know it. It's a whole lot better to have a resource worker who can help you get a job or a worker who can tell you where you can get a better education. Right now, there's not enough out there.

Mandi
01-24-2007, 07:27 PM
My point being they were talking about lowering taxes on heat bills, refunding HST or something like that. I see no difference, since most will spend $100 in taxes on their energy bills easily in a year.

tred816
01-24-2007, 07:33 PM
There is a difference though. We don't get the refund we were promised. It may not have been much, but a lot of people have been looking forward to getting this refund and now we won't. I pay enough in heat between propane, hot water and hydro that it would have been at least $100-200 in a rebate and now, after promising it, they change their mind and give it to the poor again.
It's time for the government to stop playing Robinhood and start giving a little back to the working family.

Mandi
01-24-2007, 07:37 PM
There is a difference though. We don't get the refund we were promised. It may not have been much, but a lot of people have been looking forward to getting this refund and now we won't. I pay enough in heat between propane, hot water and hydro that it would have been at least $100-200 in a rebate and now, after promising it, they change their mind and give it to the poor again.
It's time for the government to stop playing Robinhood and start giving a little back to the working family.
I mean with The Dave saying no one is entitled to the rebate. Now the government is saving MORE money by not giving it to everyone who should probably get it. (who ever pays for electricity. Sorry, but power is a /necessity./ not a want. ) I don't think there should be taxes on it. period. Obviously some are getting the shaft here, but some are getting a hand up, and it's nice to see that.

The_Dave
01-24-2007, 07:38 PM
I see Mandi, I understand now. I am all for lowering the taxes on heating, but not blindly sending a $100 dollar rebate out. Lower the tax at the source for EVERYONE. I think that is fair, just do not give my tax dollars that I have paid, to a program that costs thousands to run and then only rebate some. Thanks Mandi.

tred816
01-24-2007, 07:56 PM
I disagree. Sorry, but they aren't getting a hand up, they are getting another hand out. Big difference.

I'm all for the hand up, but how many people are actually using the hand up to better themselves?

Not enough.

I'm not judging you Mandi or anyone else who may get this, just making a point that, from experience, there isn't enough aid to get people motivated to go through the transition of getting off of welfare or to help those who are living in poor conditions with expenses they may need help with. Rather than just throwing away a bunch of $100 checks that everyone will forget about 6 months from now, they could be lowering the cost of the toll on the Harbour Bridge!!! Wow, good use of the money and the people benefit too...no gov. official could possibly come up with such a concept.

For goodness sakes, they really should require an electric bill for this type of thing.

I did get a $250 check last year and didn't even know I was going to get it. I won't deny it was a nice treat, obviously I didn't send it back (hypochrite? who me?:rolleyes: ) lol, but what a strange waste of government money.

I'm not speaking only for myself because I've been in both shoes and it seems like the rich get richer, the poor get charity and the middle class continue to be the forgotten ones.

We have too much to qualify for rebates etc... but not enough to claim on income tax to lower our taxes and so on and so forth.

care1978
01-24-2007, 09:08 PM
ive never heard of this until now... when is this supposed to be happening? i agree that maybe it should be applied directly to someones heat bill, that makes sense to me, i kow that is where i would need it most

Cherry Pop
01-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm sorry but this whole thread offends me! To post on here that everyone on income assistance is in the same catorgory is just plain wrong! Not everyone on income assistance is leeching off the government. Not everyone on assistance can step on a stepping stone and get them out of their situation. Some people are so sick they almost die and need lots of surgeries and can't work! That is what income assistance is for - for those people! Those people worked for years paying taxes and paid a lot into income assistance! Those people need help whether it be a hand up or hand out either or, not everyone has support and help from family! Not everyone has a husband or wife to help! Not everyone can control their health! Honestly I have never read such judgemental material as I have read in this thread! Sorry but it burns me and quite honestly the stuff I have read in this thread makes me sick! This kind of attitude is why some people starve in this city, why some people go without housing, why some people go without the basic necessities because people degrade them and make them feel bad for having the "nerve" to ask for help!!! It's great that the government is helping with the cost of heat for these people. Yes it would be even better if they helped the middle class people as well. Yes it would be even a million times better if they helped everyone! So where do they start? They start with the poorest and it my opinion that is the right kind of attitude to have!

Cartersmom
01-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Stupid question, I'm sure, but is this just for the people who heat with electricity? Or as long as you have an acct with Saint John Energy for power, you still get a rebate?

girdy
01-24-2007, 09:48 PM
I disagree. Sorry, but they aren't getting a hand up, they are getting another hand out. Big difference.

I'm all for the hand up, but how many people are actually using the hand up to better themselves?
I remember right when the GST was introduced (I was in Ontario at the time), I met my girlfriends stepdad, and all he could talk about was how the GST was such a great thing because now the government would be sending him (yet) another check.

I agree, giving people unqualified money that they will lose if they make more money, is hardly motivation for them to change their circumstance.

What would be really cool, would be that instead of giving $100 check, that a tuition credit would be provided. If you don't want to apply yourself, it has no value, if you want to apply yourself, then you've been provided a hand up getting to a better circumstance.

I don't mind helping someone out, but I don't like being in the situation that someone is perpetually feeding at the government trough with money taken from my pocket.

care1978
01-24-2007, 10:09 PM
i am a single mom of 1 i dont have any family that are available to help out once in a while, i have been trying to get off of income assistance for quite some time now, probably since my little one was about 7 months old, and i was told by income assistance and public health tha i am unable to put my son into daycare and that he must remain home with me until he is two! i want to go to work to get out of the system but as someone mentioned before there arent enough stepping stones out there for alot of people like myself wanting to get off of the system, i think the money should be used to fund alot of these programs that are basically non-existent now so that people can find the resources to get off of the system...mind you $100 bucks is $100 bucks and im sure everybody could use it for one thing or another... i think that if they are issuing these checks that all persons should be entitled to it. i dont appreciate people saying that everyone on income assistance is basically "mooching" i have worked all my life and am now in a situation where i have no other choice but to be on assistance, people shouldnt be so quick to judge other people on income assistance.... someday it could be them that needs to be on assistance and i dont think that they will have the same perspective when and if that day comes.... i dont even know what the heat supplemnet is, but i tihnk that maybe it should go directly towards someones sj energy account,,,, when is this supposed to be taking place anyway?

NoseToTheGrind
01-24-2007, 11:27 PM
You can apply from now until the end of June I believe, the link at the top of this thread in my first post takes you to the site and application form care1978 but here it is again so you dont have to go searching back.

http://www.gnb.ca/0162/tax/Home_Ener...sistance-e.asp (http://www.gnb.ca/0162/tax/Home_Energy/Home_Energy_Assistance-e.asp)

sugadip
01-25-2007, 01:10 AM
I think the rebate should be given to those who pay electricity, no matter who much they make. Calculate it like you would for those who receive HST cheques and credit account so that it goes directly onto your account.

The_Dave
01-25-2007, 07:03 AM
I would think becoming self sufficient and working and EARNING your own paycheque everyday is motivation enough to get out of relying on the government to support you or give you handouts. The satisfaction you would get out of bringing home your own bacon so to speak would boost your confidence. Make you feel proud of yourself. I still say just reduce the tax on this essential service for everyone. Do not blindly give handouts.

Cherry Pop
01-25-2007, 07:48 AM
I would think becoming self sufficient and working and EARNING your own paycheque everyday is motivation enough to get out of relying on the government to support you or give you handouts. The satisfaction you would get out of bringing home your own bacon so to speak would boost your confidence. Make you feel proud of yourself. I still say just reduce the tax on this essential service for everyone. Do not blindly give handouts.

Earning your own paycheck is a great thing but not everyone is able to do that!

Tara
01-25-2007, 11:16 AM
I just got my power bill today, I'm all for reducing the tax!

Mandi
01-25-2007, 11:41 AM
I just got my power bill today, I'm all for reducing the tax!

Heh yeah. we pay a lot in taxes in a year. I really don't think there should be tax on things you can't live without, and in this day, who can live without power?
Wasn't there a huge power outage in Boston a few years back, that left people stranded in an ellevator for almost 3 days? Pretty necessary if you ask me.

tred816
01-25-2007, 05:46 PM
I certainly hope I didn't offend anyone. I tried to make it clear in my posts that I wasn't singling anyone out or generalizing that all people on assistance don't need it. (the heat supplement that is)

The Dave, you know who I am. Ask chevygirl how hard it was for me as a single parent to get the childcare that I needed in order to work.

I spent 10 years banging my head against the brick wall of our system.

The fact is...they give so much to you if you are on income assistance that you become accustomed to that income. You then try to get off and find out, oops my kid got sick....no health care is covered by your work and your daycare won't accept a sick kid...and whammo! you're pushed back into the need for help etc...

I know first hand how difficult it is to survive trying to get off and I must say, it was easier to stay on it then it was to support my family.

I got lucky. Not everyone does.

Cherry Pop - I'm really sorry if I may have offended you or anyone else. In the case of long term illness, I was blindly assuming those individuals would be on disability. I was wrong to insinuate that and apologize if it hurt anyone.

My main concern was leaning towards the average person on the system struggling to try and make ends meet when struggling to climb out of such a deep hole. It is extremely difficult and I commend all of you for your efforts.

richunclepennywise
01-25-2007, 06:30 PM
We received our $100 rebate today :D

eagallant
01-25-2007, 06:45 PM
First I would like to say I agree with alot of what's said. I was on social assistance when I was pregnant & my ex disappeared one day (he's been dead 10 years Jan 23, God bless us). So I'm not above anyone else...except, it was a temporary fix until I could find a permanent solution. I went back to school (while they paid my child care & helped with tuition) and then got off the system. Now I am a professional and respected in my field. Now, my husband's welfare sponging family. That's another story. His mother's been on it for 20+ years & in a year or so, we've all paid for her house. Father & girlfriend both on it and he works under the table & neither claim the other.
Angry. Damb right. Welfare was for emergencies - not lifestyles. There should be a time limit on how long you can be on it and you should have to contribute to society while you are. I know some people, those that are handicapped, definitely don't apply to this rule. They have a special need, not just someone too stupid & lazy to work.
As for the rebate - it's not fair. My oil bill is $375/month & my lights are $150/month and I'm living in the North End - not Rothesay. So, $100 would be nice - wouldn't help any but it would be nice. How much does someone living in an apt pay?
I better go before I get slammed.

Cherry Pop
01-25-2007, 07:08 PM
What you say is true, eagallant! There are some people who abuse the welfare system and they make it harder for the rest of us. There is such a stigma to being on assistance and I don't think that is fair! There are some who really need it due to certain circumstances and there are some who probably don't. I just hate how people seem to blend the two into one group and say that they are all sponging when that isn't the case at all! Again I agree that everyone should be getting a rebate. I think the original idea of giving back the HST was a better idea because I believe it was meant for everyone.

Rickster
01-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Boys,those Eskimos got it made...eh ?? Just think ..Whale blubber lamps , fresh sundried meat(or raw ), small wood fire in the middle of the igloo for warmth and plenty of fresh air and no worries about getting their power turned off ! Maybe we should go that way,LOL,lol.- Rick. (Just thought i'd add a little humor to cheer up the 'criers' ),lol. P.s. Thanks nosetothegrind for the original post !!!!!

Rickster
01-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Cherrypop; couldn't have said it better and boys, did you ever save me a lot of typing. Cheers to you and others that understand what the 'system' is trying to do !! The Dave and Tred should get together, man, would they ever have a lot of tears and huggies sessions,lol.-Thanks again Cherrypop and all you out there that do understand, it's a start. -Rick.

eagallant
01-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Wouldn't that be a fair way to determine the rebate? 5% of what you pay - then everyone is equal - no favoritism. It's based on what you actually spend.

Beechnut
01-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Here's your fair way to do it.

Remove/Decrease the HST at the source. No rebates with unfair distrubution. No need to have govenment staff spend tax dollars deciding who is elligible, mailing individual checks to individuals. No expense for the checks and postage.....

too logical.

Rickster
01-27-2007, 10:48 PM
YEA, Isn't something they do like spending about $800,000,(or VERY much more) on a survey to see if a new "idea" is compatible and then all of a sudden you never hear the results till years later,and by that time no-one has to explain where and how "our money has been spent".??-Rick.( I Know , another subject,right???)Government, just another "Bad" word,lol. - Rick.

Rickster
01-28-2007, 07:59 PM
The Dave; don't you ever have anything positive to say , I read all your past post as anyone can about anybody and it seem that maybe 75% of your posts are just negative comments, Don't you have a life?, the Government is trying the best they can to improve the lower peoples lifestyle and you and others object to this;one has to ask that besiding not understanding this system ,are you all really that greedy, cause facts or not,all you and others with negative comments are really saying is 'We want Money too '!!-Rick. (stand once a month in a "food line" and then come back with those comments ! (Been there also)

The_Dave
01-29-2007, 04:12 PM
If you read all my posts rickster than you would know that I have put myself through school in my 30's (While still working a low paying job, thank you) to re educate myself to better myself and not to have to rely on handouts from anyone and be a BURDEN to the tax payers.

Prior to that I would work for temporary agencies any time they called, for whatever wage they payed because a man isn't a man unless he works, no matter what the pay.

As far as the rebate, just another handout. I say lower the taxes for all. I am tired of supporting people to lazy to get off the couch and get a job.

eagallant
01-29-2007, 04:35 PM
The Dave; don't you ever have anything positive to say , I read all your past post as anyone can about anybody and it seem that maybe 75% of your posts are just negative comments, Don't you have a life?, the Government is trying the best they can to improve the lower peoples lifestyle and you and others object to this;one has to ask that besiding not understanding this system ,are you all really that greedy, cause facts or not,all you and others with negative comments are really saying is 'We want Money too '!!-Rick. (stand once a month in a "food line" and then come back with those comments ! (Been there also)

I don't think this forum is meant to be a member bashing session. It's to exchange thoughts & ideas. Not read back & critisize others as 75% negative!

The_Dave
01-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks eagallant, I agree with you, but the man has a right to say what he wants, within the rules of course. I don't mind the comments or criticism. I can give as well as take. It gets discouraging sometimes though, to have a battle of wits with people who are unarmed in this area. But hey so be it.

Rickster
01-29-2007, 08:30 PM
well if your so educated ...then what do you think the taxes are for.. when you see new programs coming into effect then (anyone with a Brain) you know that tax dollars are doing something maybe not as much as we like but still something,it's a start and "anyone that says lower taxes to an extent where they hardly have to pay any" ,..then who suffers.. not the working man but those that are in such dire circumstances that depend each month on the government 'Hand outs ' as you like to put it . these are people that unlike you or me are totally unable to acquire jobs that would support their famiies and are dependent on us to help them out (isn't that the "Christian" human way ??!!). Take away taxes and you take away these programs,easy to make comments if you were always lucky enough not to need these services our Taxes pay for !! Mental health for our 'children'(as you all cry that concern) that need it,food and clothing for families that need it, 'Seniors' care sponsered by our taxes, just to mention a few ,yea, educated, give me and others a break !??.- Rck. I've already proven that certain individuals do not know what they are talking about several times, quote,"I know EVERYONE !!" unquote. -Rick (been there and done that).

care1978
01-29-2007, 09:00 PM
i dont agree that "everyone" on income assistance is looking for a hand out, some people's lives change and they may or may not need the assistance, i do think that if there is going to be a rebate that everyone shold be entitled, there are alot of people on income assistance who use to work but are unable to now, so basically they are just reclaiming aht they have already paid in taxes, i know that there are some people who do abuse the system ( which sux ) but c'est la vie!:o

Rickster
01-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Wellsaid Care !!!

Cherry Pop
01-29-2007, 09:30 PM
If you read all my posts rickster than you would know that I have put myself through school in my 30's (While still working a low paying job, thank you) to re educate myself to better myself and not to have to rely on handouts from anyone and be a BURDEN to the tax payers.

Prior to that I would work for temporary agencies any time they called, for whatever wage they payed because a man isn't a man unless he works, no matter what the pay.

As far as the rebate, just another handout. I say lower the taxes for all. I am tired of supporting people to lazy to get off the couch and get a job.

I take deep offense to your last comment about being tired of supporting people to lazy to get off the couch and get a job. I'm not lazy, not at all but the only way I'll be getting off the couch is if NB fixes their health care system and gets me a doctor who can fix me. They finally found me a doctor this year after 5 long years (of having to travel to ontario) so let's hope she can fix me and then I can get off the couch. Sorry but before I got sick, I worked full-time 7 days a week! After I had my daughter, I worked two part-time jobs, and went to school fulltime where I did graduate. Unfortunately, I've had to have 9 surgeries, my tenth coming up this Friday so since I don't have a husband to help support me and I had to leave work due to my surgeries and sickness, I have no other choice. I am so tired of people who put everyone in the same category! The Dave, When I finally am fixed and can go work, I will let you know so you will be aware that you won't be supporting me anymore! Nice to know that people really don't care about others anymore!

Rickster
01-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Hey Cherrypop ; Haven't ya ,as I ,have figured out that .that man "The Dave" (and I laugh at the handle)has not a clue of what's going on,he got a G.E.D. and now he's a genius !hate to atack an individual but everyone has to admit , he asked for it by putting down the less fortunate of us that do depend on both ,our Taxes and our 'Good-will'. Been on both sides of the fence and perhaps that's why I take a 'greater understanding' than most ?!! -Rick, Don't really mean to offend anyone but I did Live amongst it ALL and still raised TWO children that I, and my neighbors 'considered' well brought-up. Proud of them both !!!-Rick.

Cherry Pop
01-29-2007, 10:13 PM
I hear ya, Rick! I have also been on both sides. Now I know what the less fortunate side is like and it's not too fun especially when people constantly put you down for it. I don't look at things like this heating rebate as a hand out, I look at it like a hand up.

Cartersmom
01-29-2007, 11:22 PM
he got a G.E.D. and now he's a genius !

lol!

subaru2222
01-30-2007, 10:01 AM
I take deep offense to your last comment about being tired of supporting people to lazy to get off the couch and get a job. I'm not lazy, not at all but the only way I'll be getting off the couch is if NB fixes their health care system and gets me a doctor who can fix me. They finally found me a doctor this year after 5 long years (of having to travel to ontario) so let's hope she can fix me and then I can get off the couch. Sorry but before I got sick, I worked full-time 7 days a week! After I had my daughter, I worked two part-time jobs, and went to school fulltime where I did graduate. Unfortunately, I've had to have 9 surgeries, my tenth coming up this Friday so since I don't have a husband to help support me and I had to leave work due to my surgeries and sickness, I have no other choice. I am so tired of people who put everyone in the same category! The Dave, When I finally am fixed and can go work, I will let you know so you will be aware that you won't be supporting me anymore! Nice to know that people really don't care about others anymore!

Very well said Cherry. Good luck on Friday. My thoughts on the $100 rebate are its a good thing but $100.00? That will not go very far? Should be $500.00 min in my opinion. The money we spend sending people to war what a waste. Take some of the millions and help people that cant heat their house or feed them selfs. A little common sense goes a long way.

The_Dave
01-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Not that it is rickster's or anyone else's business but my education is higher than a ged. You see rickster if you graduate from high school, than you don't need a ged. I have post secondary education and more. Also my grammer and spelling are extremely good.

Cherrypop, my comment may have generalized everyone that is not working, but that is not what I meant. Some people cannot work for medical reasons. Most people though being looked after by the system can, but won't. Why would they? We are giving them a free ride.

Cherrypop as I told you in an earlier post, I wish you the best. I apologize for offending you.

Rickster I am all for looking after the elderly also, they paved they way for all of us. Especially the veterans, without them, we all might be speaking german.

As for the Christian way, God helps those who help themselves first. That does not mean abusing the system.

What I am tired of is the people who use and abuse the system. There are MORE than a few who do it. I see it all the time.

rickster you may have a greater understanding than most about certain issues, but don't assume that you are the only one who has been down those roads and back.

I still stand by my comments though that the rebate should not go to anyone. It should be a reduction in the tax.

PS. I think The_Dave is a great handle.

PPS. I do know everyone who was anyone......in their time, from all parts of the city. I hung out with most of them.

fullprop
01-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Not that it is rickster's or anyone else's business but my education is higher than a ged. You see rickster if you graduate from high school, than you don't need a ged. I have post secondary education and more. Also my grammer and spelling or extremely good.

Sorry The Dave, had to make a smart remark. What is the other option if your spelling is ?? or really good. Or do you mean are really good.
LOL...sorry, I just thought that was funny!

The_Dave
01-31-2007, 04:11 PM
It was funny as I proof read that baby about 10 times. Thanks

shoona
02-05-2007, 02:44 PM
ok my computer wont let me open the fourm if any one could help me that would be great?

NoseToTheGrind
02-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Hey your good shoona, cant open the forum, but are able to tell us all that you cant get the forum open....ANYHOW, this thread was meant to inform everyone about the rebate, thought it would be nice to GET from the government instead of always GIVING to them, I think anybody that CAN get the rebate...then take it..take whatever you can from the government, never know when they will be taking it back in some other form from us...just a matter of time...oh yea...I got my rebate already...didnt take long at all, I rented some movies, a few groceries, and lots of Pepsi...they will NEVER tell me how it shall be spent, just like I dont tell Saint John Energy , what to spend their profits on. TALLEY HO Good people of Saint John.

CrazyPeanut
02-12-2007, 10:44 AM

It is really frustrating. I think that those of us who are making over that maximum amount (25K) are getting left behind. Just because we have a higher paying job, does not mean that we do not pay the same as those who do not. Keep in mind that because of those higher paying jobs, we also pay more tax which leaves us around the same percentage of disposable income as someone who makes less.

I think that it is high time that the government start basing things on percentage rather than amounts. I paid 300.00 last month for my heating bill, and 350.00 the month before and so on and so on. So what if I make more than 25K, I should still be entitled to the rebate or at least something like it. We do not get GST credit, we do not get any other credit, but we are taxed just as much to make it available to others. What is so wrong with us wanting a peice of what we pay for?

trinity
02-12-2007, 11:25 AM
I think it is better this time, at least you have to prove you paid for your heat and can get only 1 per household. This thing was issued a few years ago the year the price of oil went through the roof with no warning, and my 3 50+ cousins were sharing an apartment they rented from my mother. Only one of them was working and the other 2 were on disability. All 3 of them got it and they didn't pay for heat or lights, it was included in their rent. They were decent enough to sign the cheques over to my mother, who DID pay the oil bill. But tens of thousands of other people who were in the same position, heat and lights included in the rent, they got money for nothing. That griped me.

I also agree with CrazyPeanut-just because I make more means I am entitled to less? I'm sure there are people who "officially" make less than 25 K but get handouts from family, work under the table, have boarders and live-in significant others etc who contribute to the income off the books and they're still going to get it? I get nothing from anyone, unless you count $50 for my birthday from my Mom, and usually I don't care. But when I see people lining up with their hands out who only make a little less than me, I get annoyed.

magoosmomma
02-12-2007, 11:29 AM
see thats been my point all along..because my family income is more than the 25k max(thanks to my husbands job not mine..LOL ) My heating bill is still high..and my disposable income isnt

Mandi
02-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Even if you have heat and lights included in your rent... you're still paying for it. Your rent reflects the cost of heat and lights stretched over a year long period, hence, you're not getting any deals, and to say you shouldn't get it when you have heat and lights included seems the same as saying you shouldn't if you have equalized billing, or pay the same amount every month to allow for the increase in winter.

serialspell
02-13-2007, 09:08 PM
mandi said it perfectly, i had a choice of lower rent and pay my own heat and lights, or pay a higher rent with everything included so where i chose to have heat, lights, hot water, and rent all wrapped up into one bill does this mean i do not deserve it, that would be like someone getting a value package for a phone, internet and long distance and saying they do not deserve to get a cheaper price just because they combined all there services with one provider.

just my opinion

paak
02-14-2007, 01:50 PM
well...not quite the same...

The apartment includes heat/lights, etc, but you are not paying it directly - i.e. its not in YOUR name. A little different than paying one bill for all your phone/tv/internet services, regardless of it they are bundled, they are still in your name.

Its more like having a roomate and they try to claim the rebate even though the bill is in your name(sure their share of the rent may include heat/lights, but they are not paying it to the power company themselves).

serialspell
02-14-2007, 02:25 PM
i was just trying to find somthing to compare it to, apparently did not do a good job of it, i am not sure about other peoples situation, but with mine i did have the option of paying my own h/l just chose the other route