PDA

View Full Version : Where can you go Ice Skating at?

alaska
01-18-2007, 01:20 PM
I've been wanting to take my kids ice skating for a while, but does anyone know where there is a rink? And do you have to bring your own skates or can you rent them?
Does anyone know of places where they teach kids to ice skate, like they have classes for them or something? Any information would be much appreciated....Thanks!

Rickster
01-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Get out there and teach them yoursef, after all I think that's how we all learned or with friends,jeez ! Anyway as far as rinks; indoor ones are listed on page30 in the yellow pages of your phone book(under Arenas) and the outdoor ones...well Lily Lake use to be the place or just drive around to the different lakes in our City to see if any are plowed for this activity.

trinity
01-18-2007, 02:14 PM
http://saintjohn.cioc.ca/results.asp?OL1=Saint+John%2E+City+Of&OL2=Leisure+Services

That lists the arenas, addresses, public skate times etc, also the number to call for updated times.
As for skating lessons, I'm drawing a blank myself- I need to learn how but it seems no one teaches adults, and sorry Rickster, my 70 yr old mom and 86 year old stepdad are NOT likely candidates to teach me. My brother is long dead and no one else in my family skates any more, so I'm S.O.L. I also highly doubt the lake is safe enough this year, we have only had these two or three cold days, I'd be surprised if it was frozen yet at all. No place I have seen will rent skates, you could try looking for some for sale on here, there is a section for it, as well as the free section.

shadoww
01-18-2007, 02:27 PM
My hubby takes our kids skating every Sunday from 2:30 to 3:30 at the rink in Millidgeville. I believe it a free public skating.

There is also a great outdoor rink in Rothesay they have been to a cpl times.

For children they have a program called canskate here is the link where you may find info.

http://www.sjsc.ca/

This is from that site: CanSkate is a nationally standardized learn-to-skate program for ages 3 to 99 years that teaches fundamental movements and basic skills. It is available in all member Skate Canada skating clubs across Canada and delivered by trained certified professional coaches.

trinity
01-18-2007, 02:57 PM
I tried the link but when I try to go to the registration page, it keeps coming up blank!

shadoww
01-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Sorry I would look up Saint John Skating Club in the phone book then or see if their number is on the site.

Misty589
01-18-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't know if you can really teach someone to skate, I think you just need to go out and practice

Good Luck!! :)

Rickster
01-18-2007, 07:48 PM
No need to be sarcasticaly sorry to me Trinity. I guess we come from different 'worlds' where... we couldn't wait to get out there each year to hit the ice. I and almost all my friends would do this as soon as we old enough to wear skates !! I KNOW(as well as anybody with any common sense) the lakes aren't really 'safe yet which is why I included the Arenas in the yellow pages. - Rick.

trinity
01-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Ok, now I am even more frustrated-just heard back from the skating club and they are "full" for this year-they suggest I try back next season. I hope by next winter to be somewhere else with more options for people who want to learn things. I hate this city, no opportunities at all it seems. When I was in Vancouver, I got to take (all at once in a 3 months period) acting, aromatherapy, Food and Beverage Management and could have taken writing, origami, Indian cooking and pottery. Of course, I also wasn't expecting the hundred dollar an hour fee, geez, it's not like I am planning to make a career of it.
On second thought, however, it's possible that the high price and obstacles are just what I need to make me go out and drag myself around the boards a few times for free out of spite, maybe you're right, I don't need someone to teach me, not at those prices and hoops.