PDA

View Full Version : What's the stink over town today??? Chemical spill on Crown street????

AreWeThereYetMom
01-18-2007, 11:11 AM
heard they closed NCO call center cuz of the spill??

babydoll101
01-18-2007, 11:17 AM
I don't know what it is but it sure stinks. I thought there was something wrong with my car when I fist smelt it. just awful!!:(

yoyoyip
01-18-2007, 01:23 PM
NCO Wimps...

Powerful smell throughout city identified

January 18, 2007 - 12:11 pm
By: News 88-9 Staff - Tyler McLean

Click here to find out more!

SAINT JOHN, NB - The source of the the city's powerful odour is the Kraft Pulp Mill at Reversing Falls.
They have an odourous gas collection system that transports the gases to a treatment system.

Media spokesperson from the Department of Environment Tina Poirier says officials at the mill believe there was a leak in it's collection system line that transports gases and that's what's causing the odour.

The system has been shutdown repairs to pinpoint the location of the leak.

Monitors in the area surrounding the mill that specifically measure the odourous gases aren't showing elevated levels at this time.

However, the environment department continues to monitor progress at the mill.

Any levels of the odourous compounds that were released are not viewed as a health issue but rather a nuisance issue.

magoosmomma
01-18-2007, 02:53 PM
I didnt even notice a smell...

Foxhound
01-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Nco was evacuated by order of the fire chief as they did not know where the smell originated from. The center was evacuated for 1.5 hours for precautionary and liability reasons and was open again at 12 noon. The smell in the center was like rotten eggs but about a thousand times worse. So the NCO employees did not leave because of wimpiness, leaving the building was mandatory. It was not until that afternoon that environment canada released a document explaining the cause stench.

yoyoyip
01-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Nco was evacuated by order of the fire chief as they did not know where the smell originated from. The center was evacuated for 1.5 hours for precautionary and liability reasons and was open again at 12 noon. The smell in the center was like rotten eggs but about a thousand times worse. So the NCO employees did not leave because of wimpiness, leaving the building was mandatory. It was not until that afternoon that environment canada released a document explaining the cause stench.

Relax... it was a joke. According to the paper this morning, it was a burned battery from Coast Tire.

Tremc
01-19-2007, 08:56 AM
It's saint john... it stinks no matter where you go...

Foxhound
01-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Relax... it was a joke. According to the paper this morning, it was a burned battery from Coast Tire.
Nope, It was not a battey either.The smell came from the pulp mill just like environment canada indicated. I guess the papers will go with whatever they are told and not bother checking for facts. The battery in question that was left in a charger overnight was suspected at first but after it was looked at the fire department it was not the cause of the smell as it did not leak anything. Sewage back up was also thought to be the cause the smell but later in the afternoon, Environment Canada realeased a document stating that the odour in Saint John was caused by the paper mill.

brandenp
01-19-2007, 10:48 AM

Give it up.....

blazethachronic
01-19-2007, 11:02 AM

I agree Saint John always stinks
gotta love that fresh country air

yoyoyip
01-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Nope, It was not a battey either.The smell came from the pulp mill just like environment canada indicated. I guess the papers will go with whatever they are told and not bother checking for facts. The battery in question that was left in a charger overnight was suspected at first but after it was looked at the fire department it was not the cause of the smell as it did not leak anything. Sewage back up was also thought to be the cause the smell but later in the afternoon, Environment Canada realeased a document stating that the odour in Saint John was caused by the paper mill.

Two different smells, two different stories.

Read todays paper, you'll see.

Dan_Man
01-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Hahaha read the paper and see what Mr. Irving has to say :P

Let me see he owns the Pulp Mill which was the source of the smell and he owns the newspaper that puts out the story... I think he might try to cover something up... Just my tought.

Two different smells, two different stories.

Read todays paper, you'll see.

The_Dave
01-22-2007, 11:28 PM
OH folks, that is just your progress you smell!! Just in case you all forgot, I thought I would remind you. What are you worried about?

devils_advocat1
01-23-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm a bit confused as to how NCO which is across the opposite side of the city as the mill gets closed due to a smell coming from the mill, yet offices such as xerox, ocen steel etc which are practically on top of the mill do get closed nor do the have the smell lingering in their buildings??? has to be better reason for the smell.

Dan_Man
01-23-2007, 03:24 PM
It could be smelled as far as the Saint John Airport...
The wind was blowing east that day...

yoyoyip
01-23-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm a bit confused as to how NCO which is across the opposite side of the city as the mill gets closed due to a smell coming from the mill, yet offices such as xerox, ocen steel etc which are practically on top of the mill do get closed nor do the have the smell lingering in their buildings??? has to be better reason for the smell.

There were two different smells... two difference incidents.

The smell at NCO was due to a battery fire or something in Coast Tire... the other smell was from the Pulp Mill do to something malfunctioning because of the cold.

Separate issues.