PDA

View Full Version : Boil Order for Residents East of Reversing Falls

dan j
02-14-2008, 01:50 PM
http://saintjohn.ca/article-details.cfm?ArticleID=192CF632-CDC5-D1A1-70962677D01D20EA

PDF file listed on that page.

sanstu
02-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the info. dan j.

Woofer
02-14-2008, 03:30 PM
yeah thanks if it wasnt for ISJ i wouldnt have heard about it

Damage82
02-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Same here, how do they expect people to know this.

redsheila2006
02-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks as well I wouldn't have heard about it ,but I sent it out to people at work.

sarahnb
02-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Same here, how the hell do they expect people to know this.
It was on the news and on the city website. It's not like they can call everyone in the city.

sanstu
02-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Then they may need to review their notification process. Major business's could be notified, especially with such a wide spread boil order. Not like anyone checks the city's website several times per day.
Again, thanks dan j for letting isaintjohner's know.

kaj27
02-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Its been on all the radio stations all day, the TV and the city's website.

What do you want them to do, go door to door?

sanstu
02-14-2008, 09:55 PM
If that is the city's new plan than great. Glad you heard about it earlier than others, kaj27, if your comment was directed towards my post then my question is what's your issue?

kaj27
02-14-2008, 09:59 PM
It's directed at everyone complaining about it. I found their method great.

sanstu
02-14-2008, 10:06 PM
good for you.:rolleyes:

Chinna Dah
02-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Then they may need to review their notification process. Major business's could be notified, especially with such a wide spread boil order. Not like anyone checks the city's website several times per day.

You might also have been able to tell by the pretty shade of brown water coming out of your taps.

I agree, I think they did a good job at getting it out.

Sanstu, do you have a better idea of how to get this info out any better/faster/easier?

sanstu
02-15-2008, 07:11 AM
LOL Chinna Dah, if you had read my post (that you quoted) it clearly explained how a more widespread notification could be achieved. Just my opinion. No need for certain posters to get their knickers in a bunch.

Chinna Dah
02-15-2008, 07:30 AM
UMMM no you said....

Then they may need to review their notification process. Major business's COULD be notified, especially with such a wide spread boil order. Not like anyone checks the city's website several times per day.

and I am asking you how is a better way they COULD do that. Do you know that major business's were not notified?

anyway, I assume you don't have a better way. Happy Friday.

KRS
02-15-2008, 07:40 AM
We're here for a good time not a long time

kaj27
02-15-2008, 07:42 AM
Perhaps sky writing next time would be a good option...no wait lets bring back the town crier.

patbez
02-15-2008, 08:06 AM
I heard something about the boil order being over last night at midnight? Is that true? & if not, has anyone heard when it might be over?

sanstu
02-15-2008, 08:32 AM
I heard something about the boil order being over last night at midnight? Is that true? & if not, has anyone heard when it might be over?

I believe the news said the order was in until at least Saturday.

sanstu
02-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Last time I checked this was a discussion forum. Positive feedback is not a bad thing. Some people felt notification was not adequate. That is an opinion, of which people are entitled to. As to some of the very immature statements, well there's not much one can say.

babydoll101
02-15-2008, 09:26 AM
You might also have been able to tell by the pretty shade of brown water coming out of your taps.

I agree, I think they did a good job at getting it out.

Sanstu, do you have a better idea of how to get this info out any better/faster/easier?

My water didn't turn any shade of brown. It looks the same as it always does. I wouldn't have known when I did if it wasn't for my neighbor coming over and telling me. Then I did see it on this awesome site!!!

FutureChief88
02-15-2008, 09:32 AM
How could it have been on the news all day.. What news station broadcasts locally.. Live at 5? which is mostly about Nova scotia? Seriously.. My grandmother watches the new ALL THE TIMe.. and the only way she heard about it was my cousin hearing it on the radio. So for a woman who doesnt have the internet , or listen to the radio.. no, television broadcast was not sufficient. this information came out mid-day.. she wouldnt have found out till well after 6 ..

sarahnb
02-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Maybe the Northrups could send out morse code using the lights on top of East Point. :D
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Mandi
02-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Maybe the Northrups could send out morse code using the lights on top of East Point. :D
Sorry, couldn't resist.
oh that's just beautiful :rofl:

trinity
02-15-2008, 10:33 AM
LOL Chinna Dah, if you had read my post (that you quoted) it clearly explained how a more widespread notification could be achieved. Just my opinion. No need for certain posters to get their knickers in a bunch.

I agree. I don't expect them to rent a truck and drive around with a loudspeaker, but not all of us have radios at work or listen to them before work, and many people are not allowed to use the internet at work or watch TV. I used to work at a hotel with a restaurant, we were ATTACHED to City Hall and would we get a phone call? Or email? Nope. They could have sent it out to people who subscribe to other city automated services, like those of us who get snow ban notifications or tourism calendar updates. Or the FusionSJ mailing list. Something, anything.

mybooboo
02-15-2008, 10:38 AM
So is the order over?My water looks fine,but as we all now may mean nothing!

sarahnb
02-15-2008, 10:43 AM
I agree. I don't expect them to rent a truck and drive around with a loudspeaker, but not all of us have radios at work or listen to them before work, and many people are not allowed to use the internet at work or watch TV. I used to work at a hotel with a restaurant, we were ATTACHED to City Hall and would we get a phone call? Or email? Nope. They could have sent it out to people who subscribe to other city automated services, like those of us who get snow ban notifications or tourism calendar updates. Or the FusionSJ mailing list. Something, anything.

you can subscribe. I found this on the city website, right above the link for the water boil.:

You can subscribe to the City News RSS Feed by right-clicking the text below, copying the shortcut, and pasting the URL into the feed aggregator of your choice.

City News

FutureChief88
02-15-2008, 11:02 AM
No i dont think its lifted..; it sucks too cause when it is.. the chlorine is going to be so unbearable that you wont even be able to drink it.. i think i must start buying bottled water!

kaj27
02-15-2008, 01:04 PM
How could it have been on the news all day.. What news station broadcasts locally.. Live at 5? which is mostly about Nova scotia? Seriously.. My grandmother watches the new ALL THE TIMe.. and the only way she heard about it was my cousin hearing it on the radio. So for a woman who doesnt have the internet , or listen to the radio.. no, television broadcast was not sufficient. this information came out mid-day.. she wouldnt have found out till well after 6 ..

CBC is from NB. Was on there.

Radio stations all day were spreading the word.

But again, if your grandmother has no means of communciation with the outside world any method the city used would have been pointless also.

Everyone else can do a better job right?

FutureChief88
02-15-2008, 01:23 PM
CBC is from NB. Was on there.

Radio stations all day were spreading the word.

But again, if your grandmother has no means of communciation with the outside world any method the city used would have been pointless also.

Everyone else can do a better job right?

No what i am saying is for someone to watch LOCAL news is impossible. Half the time things that have to do with saint john arent advertised until well after the fact. Most places have "Breaking News" So unless she was watching CBC.. she wouldnt see it.

Why are you so uptight anyway? everyone else can do a better Job?
You seem so bitter.. someone must have had a party in your cornflakes this morning..
I agree with the idea of letting larger businesses know. My work had no idea until today.. little much for a company that has 300+ employees.. if you ask me. they should have been notified!

sarahnb
02-15-2008, 01:23 PM
You couldn't pay me to drink our water. It's disgusting. We've always had bottled water and now that our water cooler is broken, I'm thinking of installing a filter system. Any reccomendations?

dan j
02-15-2008, 02:03 PM
A filter system is a lot better than bottled water. Bottled water uses a crazy amount of plastic (and even though it can be recycled it is still better off not being made in the first place) and it is a lot cheaper. It is insane that companies are able to use everyone's water and profit off of it without paying anything back for using a public resource. Bottled water is also void of electrolytes which your body needs to function. Without electrolytes, and too much water, your body would cease to function. (remember that girl that died from a water drinking competition?) I'm not sure if home-filtered water removes electrolytes or not but it is still a better way to go than buying water.

Just the idea of buying water gets me going.

FutureChief88
02-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Yea i have a brita..But what a pain.
Dan.. is it a huge deal to install a filtration system. I am living in a bldg of my dads.. and he is cheap.. what woudl be involved.. any links for info you might have?

babydoll101
02-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Now that's a good idea:rofl:

dan j
02-15-2008, 03:21 PM
An easy and cheap up front filtration system is just to install one at the end of your tap. I got a GE one and it is great. However, the under the counter systems are more expensive to buy at first but I believe they will save in the long run. I haven't worked out the numbers though. I'm just assuming here but those ones would require some sort of knowledge on plumbing but not much. Just turn off the water line to that faucet install the line on each end of the system and off you go.

FutureChief88
02-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Hmm thanks.. Ill have to mention it.. I would love one..

kaj27
02-15-2008, 03:57 PM
A basic charcoal or carbon filter is not going to be a replacement for a boil order.

You'd need a sediment filter, chlorinator or UV Filter and then finally charcoal.

Cartersmom
02-15-2008, 06:23 PM
A regular filtration system is not going to be sufficient for a boil order.

We have one of the tap mounted ones and they are great!! NO more cloudy, weird tasting water. So convenient too, and filters much faster than the pitcher ones, very handy for making juices and that kind of thing. I used to feel like I was waiting forever with the pitcher systems.

Ultimately I would like a whole house filter but for now the twp mounted one is serving us beautifully. I would recommend it to anyone.

dan j
02-15-2008, 07:36 PM
We were not talking about the filtration system as an alternative to the boil order but as an alternative for bottled water in the future.

But yeah, there are more complex filters out there that can run high in $$$ for for regular times when the water is deemed safe to drink a regular filter will give you great tasting water. I live on the West Side so I don't have to deal with a boil order this time around.

Ashley McHugh
02-15-2008, 08:14 PM
does anyone know if the boil order has been lifted?

rhiley_08j
02-15-2008, 08:41 PM
does anyone know if the boil order has been lifted?

I heard this morning on the radio that the boil order is in affect for at least the next 48 hrs, as of this morning.

sanstu
02-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Does anyone know if during a "boil order" if it is safe to drink fountain pop in the affected area? McDonalds (east) was selling canned pop, while Wendy's(east) continued to sell fountain pop.

puppyluv
02-16-2008, 07:13 AM
My daily habit is ...boil a full kettle 4 times a day, them pour it into the brita ..put brita in fridge..fill up dogs water bowls when cold..mercy...:eek:

ensure flush seat is down and bathroom door closed at all times..seems my male dog likes to think of the flush as his own personal water bowl...which never bothers me...but with this boil order...not his anymore!:rofl:

Crystalbeach
02-16-2008, 07:34 AM
I just find it much easier to go buy a couple of big jugs of water for my cooler..

kaj27
02-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Does anyone know if during a "boil order" if it is safe to drink fountain pop in the affected area? McDonalds (east) was selling canned pop, while Wendy's(east) continued to sell fountain pop.

Most of the fountain systems are filtered many many times and are well within the safe limit.

That is, if they replace their filters.

FutureChief88
02-16-2008, 09:10 AM

No they definately should not be selling fountain pop. Mcd's Over north wasnt selling it either.. It was milkshakes, milk or juice yesterday.. And of course bottled water. i would definately Complain about that!~

And as far as Kaj's comment.. for a restaurant that doesnt have strict policies on washing hands of refraining from spitting in peoples food.. I doubt they are clean enough to change their filters! I know i certainly wouldnt take the risk.

megz
02-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Gota love saint john.... boil orders for daysssssssssssssss whens it over?

kaj27
02-16-2008, 04:32 PM
No they definately should not be selling fountain pop. Mcd's Over north wasnt selling it either.. It was milkshakes, milk or juice yesterday.. And of course bottled water. i would definately Complain about that!~

And as far as Kaj's comment.. for a restaurant that doesnt have strict policies on washing hands of refraining from spitting in peoples food.. I doubt they are clean enough to change their filters! I know i certainly wouldnt take the risk.

Well again I managed several stores. Filters were changed quite often.

puppyluv
02-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I just read the information, now it has been extended out unitl Monday am.

babydoll101
02-17-2008, 10:19 AM
So does anyone know if there is going to be school? My husband said that their shouldn't be school with a boiling order in affect. Any one know??

rhiley_08j
02-17-2008, 11:34 AM
So does anyone know if there is going to be school? My husband said that their shouldn't be school with a boiling order in affect. Any one know??

I would say that there should still be school as long as they turn their fountains off and supply bottled water to the students, or better yet parents can send there kids to school with a couple bottles of water.

puppyluv
02-17-2008, 12:22 PM
yes, anymore time off and the school year may well be extended into the summer as they kids have had more time off than is allowed.

I agree with riley, turn off the fountains and have water (bottled)

sarahnb
02-17-2008, 07:15 PM
I have told my kids not to drink from the fountains regardless of boil orders. the water is disgusting and the germs on the fountains are worse.

chevybeerman
02-17-2008, 09:04 PM
guess we better get used to the boil odred since we are getting more rain

kaj27
02-17-2008, 09:36 PM
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?nb18

dan j
02-17-2008, 11:44 PM
If you're going to send your kids to school with water please do not send them with clear plastic. Clear plastic is just as dangerous as bad water. Well, not just as dangerous but it is a different sort of danger. Everyone should get themselves a stainless steel container.

dan j
02-18-2008, 03:31 PM
boil order has been lifted. btw.

dan j
02-18-2008, 03:32 PM
http://www.saintjohn.ca/article-details.cfm?ArticleID=2E40E757-E807-6852-A39F3B33E7E28A65

kaj27
02-18-2008, 03:40 PM
heh I got an email from my school stating....

Please be advised that due to the significant rainfall forecasted for today and tonight, we have been informed that the boil order issued earlier for our region will not be lifted today, as previously expected.

mickeymouse
02-18-2008, 03:43 PM
I also heard that it was not being lifted today because of the rain.

dan j
02-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Well, the official posting on the City's website says it has been lifted. I'd take their word for it.

kaj27
02-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Well, the official posting on the City's website says it has been lifted. I'd take their word for it.

Okay go have a full glass of water and report back in 12hrs. Let us now....how....your....movements are. :D

dan j
02-18-2008, 03:52 PM
haha. I live on the West Side :)

kaj27
02-18-2008, 04:21 PM
haha darn.

rhiley_08j
02-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Okay go have a full glass of water and report back in 12hrs. Let us now....how....your....movements are. :D

We've been drinking the water for the last 3 days, and we are all fine. There was an article a couple of days ago that said that all our water filtration system does is filter out debris such as twigs and such and adds chlorine. It also said that it tested negative for fecal coliforms. Therefore I wasn't too worried about it.

kaj27
02-18-2008, 04:37 PM
I don't drink tap water anyway. I prefer my water to be toxin free.

AreWeThereYetMom
02-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Sadly, as of 4pm today it has been reinstated :(

Woofer
02-18-2008, 08:46 PM
my kids have been drinkin tap water at the club all night tonight, so is the boil order still on? i worry about what my kids and what they eat,drink.

JulieHebert
02-18-2008, 08:54 PM
boil order has been lifted. btw.

if anyone wants to see for themselves the boil order has been reinstated....this link is directly from the city of saint john website.

http://www.saintjohn.ca/article-details.cfm?ArticleID=2F41A7FB-0CE7-B989-59150DB20D5EF37B
This is a PDF file....so if anyone doesn't have that then here is what it says:

WARNING: BOIL WATER ORDER REINSTATED
What happened?
We are once again experiencing an increase in turbidity levels as a result of today’s rainfall event.
Why was the boil-water order rescinded (lifted) today at 4:00pm and now it is once again reinstated?
When the people at Saint John Water discussed the results with the District Medical Officer of Health and his staff from the Department of Health today (February 18th) at 4:00pm all test results from samples collected during the weekend were microbiologically safe and the turbidity had been stable since the last rain event; it had not increased at all during the day Monday February 18, 2008.
It was only Monday evening that turbidity levels began to rise again. We have had follow up discussions with the District Medical Officer of Health and other staff at the Department of Health and the boil water order has been reinstated. While the latest lab results demonstrate the water is safe to drink, the rise in turbidity levels this evening means that we cannot ensure the safety of the drinking water for the public; our foremost priority here at Saint John Water.

Woofer
02-18-2008, 09:12 PM
ok thanks.

patbez
02-20-2008, 04:42 PM
The news said the boil order will probably extend to the end of the week :/

Very frustrating, as I'm pregnant & am choosing not even to drink boiled water, opting for bottled, yet most places we've been are running short or are jacking up prices :/

sanstu
02-20-2008, 05:47 PM
The news said the boil order will probably extend to the end of the week :/

Very frustrating, as I'm pregnant & am choosing not even to drink boiled water, opting for bottled, yet most places we've been are running short or are jacking up prices :/

Is this a larger store or a convience store? Either way in my opinion it's wrong. I know in some areas of the states (Florida being one) stores are not allowed to inflate prices on necessities prior to and after a hurricane.

rhiley_08j
02-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Is this a larger store or a convience store? Either way in my opinion it's wrong. I know in some areas of the states (Florida being one) stores are not allowed to inflate prices on necessities prior to and after a hurricane.

Unfortunately it happens all the time, apparently, at least here in Canada there is no law against it. For example, call a tow truck on a regular day and then call them on a snowy day. Automatic price increase. A real PO. Shrug shoulders, bend over, and take it, that's about all we can do. LOL

patbez
02-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I've seen inflated prices mainly at grocery stores. Not a HUGE price gouge, but enough to be annoying.

sarahnb
02-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Water prices are the smae on 4l jugs. We buy it all the time regardless of the boil order. It's roughly $1 for 4L

mybooboo
02-20-2008, 08:32 PM
same here,but they dont have any on the shelves half the time!

patbez
02-20-2008, 09:17 PM
We were paying less for a 4L jug. But I was talking about their bottled water, whether it be Aquafina or store brand.

I noticed that the Superstore's water machine for filling your own jugs has been "out of order"...when we asked them about it, they didn't say anything about short supply due to demand, they simply said the company told them to put "out of order", which lead us to believe they might simply be using tap water anyway, but maybe purifying it one step further.

sarahnb
02-20-2008, 09:20 PM
I believe that is what they do. It's filtered tap water.

kaj27
02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
We were paying less for a 4L jug. But I was talking about their bottled water, whether it be Aquafina or store brand.

I noticed that the Superstore's water machine for filling your own jugs has been "out of order"...when we asked them about it, they didn't say anything about short supply due to demand, they simply said the company told them to put "out of order", which lead us to believe they might simply be using tap water anyway, but maybe purifying it one step further.

Most of those self fill stations just have a sediment and carbon filter. Which does nothing for a boil order.

dan j
02-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Boil order lifted again. I reckon that the water will still have lots of chlorine for a few days though. Also, flush all your lines really well.

http://www.saintjohn.ca/article-details.cfm?ArticleID=42DE52C0-A592-2D55-44E5330A5E99A702