PDA

View Full Version : selling property

momof2sweethearts
02-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Wondering about all the legal action that needs to take place when selling property in Saint John. We still owe on the property does that matter?? If anyone has any suggestions or advise please don't hesitate to let me know. Real Estate agents names that are fair or give free estimates as well would help. Thanks

Crystalbeach
02-14-2008, 07:26 AM
First you list it with a real estate agent...then you should get a lawyer to handle the sale for you...there's lots of property lawyers in the city.

inuit
02-14-2008, 06:36 PM
There is no law saying you can't sell your own house/property. You do not need to go through an agent who will charge you up to 10% on the selling price. I believe the buyer does title search.

You may need to get an evaluation of your property to know the best price to ask for it. An agent can do this for you without listing the property. They may charge you a small fee for this.

If you owe money on it the buyer may have to make 2 cheques, one to you and one to whomever you owe or the lawyer may handle the entire thing.

The lawyer may charge you from 2 to 4 thousand dollars depends on how much work is required to transfer title.

Hope I haven't given you false info. This is how I bought my property last year.

jdcb
02-15-2008, 10:40 AM
You paid your lawyer 2 thousand dollars? I'm taking ownership of a house in a week and it's not that much now...

trinity
02-15-2008, 12:55 PM
What about those "for sale by owner" sites? I would think if you went to one of them, it would have information on what you need to do yourself. I think most people list with realtors because they don't want to be bothered with the paperwork themselves or are afraid of making mistakes that would cost time and big money.

sanstu
02-20-2008, 09:48 PM
You paid your lawyer 2 thousand dollars? I'm taking ownership of a house in a week and it's not that much now...

I suppose it would depend on how much work is involved. As most lawyers charge by the hr. the difference may be in the hourly rate that is charged.(then of course you have disbursements.) As with anything, shop around in order to get the best price. Also changing a property over to land titles is an extra cost.

Congrats. on becoming a homeowner.

jdcb
02-21-2008, 09:43 AM
I suppose it would depend on how much work is involved. As most lawyers charge by the hr. the difference may be in the hourly rate that is charged.(then of course you have disbursements.) As with anything, shop around in order to get the best price. Also changing a property over to land titles is an extra cost.

Congrats. on becoming a homeowner.

actually, mine charged me a flat rate. With all taxes, disbursements, transfer fee's, and title insurance, gonna cost me ballpark 1200. I'm the buyer, don't know if that makes a difference.

And thanks, I take ownership tomorrow...

inuit
02-21-2008, 07:20 PM
congrats jdcb! Is this your first home? It's so exciting. Last year was my first property I actually owned by myself. I still can't believe it. Good luck

jdcb
02-22-2008, 11:18 PM
thanx, and yep, my first home. This year will include my first home, 5 year anniversary, and my baby's first birthday. It's a good year...