PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic teaching

coffeegal
02-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I have had type 1 diabetes since 1989, and haven't been to diabetic teaching since then. I saw an endocrinologist today, who wants to change my insulin regimen and send me back to diabetic teaching. I know it is at the hospital, I do not drive and need to find a way to get in and back from Rothesay. Has anyone been to the teaching in the past year or so, and can tell me how long it is (how many days) and how long each class is (from what time to what time), so that I can start to look for drives. Thanks.

kb
02-04-2008, 08:07 PM
better see when you can get in first before finding a drive.There was a 2 or 3 month wait to get in i believe.and also it is 3 days 6 or 7 hrs a day

jennifer25ca2006
02-04-2008, 09:19 PM
You can call them and ask them they will tell you all the information you need to know. I am dietabetic also and I never had to go through that. There is a few things that I do know about that clinic. They are extremly nice ppl and easy to deal with. So and information you want to know call the info booth at the regional, and ask for Dietabetic teaching they will transfer you right through.

jennifer25ca2006
02-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Do you know what insulin they are changing you to? My doctor changed me from novolin toronto in the day to novo rapid and I do not recommend it cause ever since I have been taking it I have had extremyl high blood sugars. I do not find that is a good insulin at all.

brjames
02-05-2008, 12:15 AM
I Know It Is 3 days. You have to be there i believe by 7:30 in the morning you check in and get your bloods done then they give a sheet telling you what you have to eat and you go get breakfast. You will be there most of the day until 2:30 or 3. You have to take your monitor and supplies and all your meds with you. Hope this helps

oasis
02-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Do you know what insulin they are changing you to? My doctor changed me from novolin toronto in the day to novo rapid and I do not recommend it cause ever since I have been taking it I have had extremyl high blood sugars. I do not find that is a good insulin at all.

If it is not working right get in to your doctor and show him the results. It may work for some one else even though it did not work for you. Everyones metabolism is different.

It will depend on what your doctor wants you to go into Diabetic teaching for. If it's just to teach you to mix your insulin you will probably only be there 1 day. If he wants you to take the course it is 3 days. And yes they want you in for 7:30.

I echo the opinion that they are about the nicest people in the hospital. Once you have your appointment call them. When I took mine 7 years ago I got a call a few days before asking if I would mind picking up an elderly gent in my area and bringing him with me as he did not drive. I had no problem with that at all. I go every year now for a checkup. To make sure every thing is staying OK.

coffeegal
02-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone, I just got the phone call. I go at the end of march at 11:30 am for the afternoon. I think they must just be brushing up on my carb intakes, which I havent calculated in years:o , and to start me on a new overnight insulin. Just have to wait and see I guess.