PDA

View Full Version : Kitty's bathroom issues

Tara
01-17-2007, 01:14 PM
i had recently gotten a kitten, very sweet cute little cat. Except the fact that she probably poops about 5 sometimes more a day. I clean the box every day, it's not "dirty". But twice she has left piles of crap in our room. I found two more piles today. She is on whiskas dry kitten food. i stopped giving her treats but that hasnt made any difference. Should I just change her food? Or could there be other factors involved?

Mandi
01-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Does she do it in the same spot? a previous kitty could have left a scent, you could try leaving a bit o poo in her litter box to leave the scent there, that might work. She could just be confused?

inepteye
01-17-2007, 03:08 PM
my cat does that sometimes but it was bc she would fling her poop outta the litter box then shed leave it on the floor lol

puppyluv
01-17-2007, 03:35 PM
perhaps because her food is full of junk...as in the human version of junk food.. my advice, swith to an all natural product like Nutro or soemthing like that.. because they absorb it, vs junk, they will poop less and shouldnt eat as much because it is better for them

Tara
01-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Great idea! Never thought of that, is it very expensive and can you get it at walmart or do you have to go to a petstore?

chevygirl
01-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Sorry Tara that you are having such a crappy (parden the pun)time with Maggie. I had that problem as well when I first got her . And long and behold it was the food. When I changed to no-name she was fine. But when I got her she was on something else that I can't quit remember. I believe it was a no name brand also. I would change her food again. I got her whiskas when I gave her to you because I always use it for my other cats and never had a problem . Keep in mind everytime you change there food you are going to see a change of some sort . I would go with puppyluv's suggestion as I have heard that she also has a bad gas problem and that leads me to believe that it is her food. Again I am sorry for your tough time. Hope everything goes well with her. Oh and how is she with the Kids?

puppyluv
01-17-2007, 04:28 PM
something, you need to get it from global pet foods or P.u or the Pet Corral
btw, buy 10 bags and the 11th is free! it is about 10 or 12 a bag, but because it is full of nutrients and NO chemicals, it lasts longer, is better for her and means less gas and poop. the bag should last you much longer than whiskas...

Tara
01-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Well I bought the nutro and I am happy to say that she is tooting a lot less and not pooping nearly as much! Good for me who had to clean out her box full of poop everyday (still clean it everyday, just not nearly as bad). But holy cow it's expensive! I think it was about 16.99 at global pet foods! Mind you the change was worth it but I'm going to see if it's cheaper elseware.

Tara
01-21-2007, 05:22 PM
I take that back, i just came home and found 3 piles inmy room :| Should have thought to close that damned door :|

adm
01-21-2007, 05:40 PM
I feed all of my animals Natural Choice by Nutro. It is more expensive because it's filled with nutrients, vitamins, and products the animals actually do need it does in fact last longer. It may take a bit for your kitten to become accustomed to the food. It's not unusual to have soft stools for a couple of weeks. The other benefit of the 'good' pet food is that it will save you tons in the long run in vet bills, and it may just save your kitty's life by preventing such potentially fatal issues as Urinary Tract Infection.

user5624
01-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Improvement takes time. If you can't be home to supervise her, trying putting her litter box, toys, water and food in one room (bed too if she has one) sealed off. See if that works for a while. Make sure you're not overfeeding her either.

Tara
01-21-2007, 06:18 PM
I know I'm not overfeeding her, I'm going to seal off one room for her when we go out next time. I hope her body will adjust to this, her belly seems quite large and round for a small kitten. I think i will just call the vet tomorrow. Not only is it no fun for her, but no fun for me coming home with two small crying cranky kids from the cold and finding cow patties in my room :(

user5624
01-21-2007, 07:35 PM
A quick vet checkup may be a good idea. Sounds like she may have worms. I'm sure you'll get it fixed. (Fleas are very cheap to treat from the vets if it's that)
Her body will take time to adjust to the food. And she has to adjust to her surroundings. If she isn't fixed, you may be dealing with territory issues. Any previous cats there that left a smell she could be competing with?

Tara
01-22-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm not really sure, I'm going to wait 2 months to get her fixed, i believe she's 3 months right now. i know she has had some needles but I'm not sure what she's had, I think I'll have to call the petstore and just ask what they give their kittens. I want to get her fixed asap

user5624
01-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Keep us updated on how you make out with her. I know that pet store (Village pet center) used to get their cats needled at the Atlantic Veterinary Hospital in Rothesay. Try giving them and the pet store a call maybe.

Good luck.