PDA

View Full Version : Who here are in Killam buildings?

Tara
01-29-2008, 12:37 PM
I got a notice about not having any mat's or shoe's out in the hallway. I leave shoes out there long enough to dry and I bring them in. Fine. I want to keep my mat out there, I don't think it's a big deal. They said it's because of the "cleaning people" who by the way, only clean sproatically. It's a miracle if I see them once a week, it's generally every two and then they never do the whole building anyway. I am in the buildings on Boyd/Davenport. Has anyone else in other buildings received the same notice? Or just our area?

kaj27
01-29-2008, 12:42 PM
No notice here. But I have noticed many people leaving shoes in the hall. Which I have no idea why. Bring YOUR shoes into YOUR apartment. Why should everyone else smell your feet.

wookiee
01-29-2008, 01:10 PM
I have lived there before about 2 years ago and never recieved a notice about that when I was there. I did too leave my shoes out it the hallway.
Now Kaj27 its no big deal that people leave there shoes out. There is lots of room for them on the landings....There is no room for shoes inside the apaprtments, there very small....besides the building stinks anyways with or without the shoes.....:D

kaj27
01-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Very true, most apartment hallways do stink!

I only have a one bedroom and I have all my shoes inside. Plenty of room.

angelaa
01-29-2008, 02:39 PM
I received a notice today too, mine was about my daughter's dog sometimes being here. She lives across the Street and Rents from Killiam too. But Her Building allows Pets. Whenever She comes over She brings the Dog with Her. But I can understand My notice, Some people may be allergic to Dogs. Alot of people had notices in their mail boxes about different issues. I live on Ellerdale Street and rent from Killiam. Not leaving shoes in the Hall way is a Safety Reason. If the building has to be evacuated somebody may trip over them. Try not to take it so personal, and appreciate the fact that atleast you have a roof over Your head, some People aren't so Fortunate.

Tara
01-29-2008, 03:29 PM
I do bring my shoes in. Please read my post first before replying.

"Try not to take it so personal, and appreciate the fact that atleast you have a roof over Your head, some People aren't so Fortunate."

.....right.....

angelaa
01-29-2008, 03:37 PM
May be everybody got the same notice, and it was sent to everyone as a reminder.

dan j
01-29-2008, 03:37 PM
It's not just a safety issue but a matter of the contract of rent. People rent the apartment from the door in. All public areas are for Killam. If they don't clean them that doesn't erase their right to that area being their domain. That would be a separate issue to take up.

patbez
01-29-2008, 03:39 PM
I don't live in Killam Properties, but we leave our boots & shoes outside our door on our mat in the winter, until they'd dried off. Some apartments don't have shoe/jacket closests right by the front door...& our door opens right onto carpeting. Not even enough room to have a mat to wipe off boots & shows or set them.

As for the roof over your head comment...I'm assuming that Killam Properties doesn't let people stay for free, right? So I take it all the tenants PAY rent? Which would mean they pay for the right to complain about having to bring their boots inside if they feel it's unjust...

dan j
01-29-2008, 04:23 PM
No, that is wrong because in the rental agreement there are clear rules on public areas versus the apartment itself. Public areas are everywhere outside the door of the apartment. Stairs, hallways, landings, front staircase, back staircase, laundry room, garbage room, etc.. Tenants do not have rights to store items in those areas.

Tara, you should still have a copy of your rental agreement and I would consult that. I used to rent on Davenport and I remember reading all about it in my agreement.

mizunderstood
01-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Tara, stop being such a whinny witch! LOL. I understand your point though, in your apartment there is no where to put wet boots. Check the lease. I know you only leave the boots out there for an hr or so until they are dry! As for the other comment about having a roof over your head... WTheck was that about? Where did that come from? Call them tomororw and explain the situation, they might be a little lenient. I dunno. Good luck!

kaj27
01-29-2008, 08:03 PM
I do bring my shoes in. Please read my post first before replying.

"Try not to take it so personal, and appreciate the fact that atleast you have a roof over Your head, some People aren't so Fortunate."

.....right.....

Yes, you bring your shoes in. After leaving them out in the hall. Thus leaving them in the hall.

I did read your post, it said and still says you do put shoes in the hall.

angelaa
01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Sorry Tara if that sounded offensive to you but what I meant was my notice was an eviction notice... Either the dog goes or we go. Now we have to find another place to live because my daughter can't part with her dog.

Chinna Dah
01-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Sorry Tara if that sounded offensive to you but what I meant was my notice was an eviction notice... Either the dog goes or we go. Now we have to find another place to live because my daughter can't part with her dog.

Why do you have to find another place to live??????

ummm tell your daughter when she comes for a visit, to leave her dog home. She lives across the street. Why go through the expense of hassel of moving for something so silly. Your daughter does not have to part with her dog, that is stupid...leave it home.

angelaa
01-30-2008, 11:07 PM
I will try to explain this one clearer. I have an apartment on Ellerdale Street. My Daughter has her own apartment across the street. We both rent from Killiam. Yesterday 1 letter in my mail box and another in her mail box. I live in a no pets allowed apartment building but she lives in a pets allowed building that is why she moved in last month so she can be closer to me and keep her dog. The landlord had no problem with it when she was moving in. Now a month later, we both get letters concerning the dog. The letter yesterday said we have ten days to get rid of the dog, two seperate apartments, two seperate buildings. Today we each got seperate registered Letters to have the dog off each of our premises by January 31. Which is Tomorrow. So now my Daughter has to move out of Her Aparment if She wants to keep the dog. I won't have to move because the Dog doesn't have to come back to my place. But now I have to rent a Uhaul and move her again. So with all that being said. Does anybody know of a Two Bedroom apartment for rent by tomorrow that allows dogs.

beachnut
01-31-2008, 11:48 AM
I am also On Boyd/Davenport. I got that notice as well. Was actually wondering if it was just our building because a couple of weeks before i got it, i accidentally forgot a bag of garbage outside my back door (i put it out there so i could sweep my floor and was going to take it out afterwards. Some ppl came over and i just completely forgot about it until the next day (luckily it wasn't stinky garbage lol)
But anyway. There is also a mat outside my back door that was there when i moved in, and although there are other mats gone from the hallways of other tennants that one is still there (even tho they said they were going to throw all mats left there after 24 hours into the dumpster)

I keep all my shoes IN my apt. I don't trust anyone, and would rather not have my stuff stolen. I know it's different item and diff part of town, but i lived uptown a few years ago at the very top of a building, being the ONLY apt up there, came home to my bike stolen (it was on the landing. I was much too trusting back them. I'm from Rothesay and never had any of that kind of thing happen and i just couldn't get over it. Shook me right up. Hated every one else in the building from that day on lol.

I got a notice about not having any mat's or shoe's out in the hallway. I leave shoes out there long enough to dry and I bring them in. Fine. I want to keep my mat out there, I don't think it's a big deal. They said it's because of the "cleaning people" who by the way, only clean sproatically. It's a miracle if I see them once a week, it's generally every two and then they never do the whole building anyway. I am in the buildings on Boyd/Davenport. Has anyone else in other buildings received the same notice? Or just our area?

mizunderstood
01-31-2008, 06:05 PM
I will try to explain this one clearer. I have an apartment on Ellerdale Street. My Daughter has her own apartment across the street. We both rent from Killiam. Yesterday 1 letter in my mail box and another in her mail box. I live in a no pets allowed apartment building but she lives in a pets allowed building that is why she moved in last month so she can be closer to me and keep her dog. The landlord had no problem with it when she was moving in. Now a month later, we both get letters concerning the dog. The letter yesterday said we have ten days to get rid of the dog, two seperate apartments, two seperate buildings. Today we each got seperate registered Letters to have the dog off each of our premises by January 31. Which is Tomorrow. So now my Daughter has to move out of Her Aparment if She wants to keep the dog. I won't have to move because the Dog doesn't have to come back to my place. But now I have to rent a Uhaul and move her again. So with all that being said. Does anybody know of a Two Bedroom apartment for rent by tomorrow that allows dogs.

If she lives in a pets allowed building and the landlord knew about teh dog before she moved in and it is in her lease stating that she is allowed to have the doggy, then there is jack crap they can do about it. Tell them to try to evict you for that reason, take it to court if need be. You cannot promise people something, and then 2 months later take it away. I would understand if it was a year or 2 and they said we will be starting a no pets policy in the next 6 months etc. New tenants are not premitted to have pets, current residents need to have re approval or something to that effect. IT can not be over nite, change the rules or get the heck out. (unless there was some kind of MAJOR complaint by the neighbours)Call the rentals man tomorrow before you make any rash decisions to move. Besides you cannot move on 24 hrs notice. You will be screwed!

inuit
02-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Mizunderstood is correct. If your daughter moved into a pets allowed apt, the landlord can not abruptly change the rules at will. Even if it was a verbal agreement only. Unless there was a really lot of complaints about dog. Even then she would need to get a month's notice to rid premisses of dog. She should call the rentalman to confirm this. She legally can not be made to move if it's only about dog. If Killam decides to make the building pet free that will apply only to new tennants. They still must honor the original agreement with her concerning dog.

inuit
02-11-2008, 12:51 PM
tara, update please on both you and your daughter.What happened with her puppy?

mizunderstood
02-11-2008, 01:43 PM
It was not Tara and the dog issue.... it was angelaa... Angelaa how did u make out with the apartment?

inuit
02-12-2008, 11:09 AM
I stand corrected. It was Angelaa

angelaa
02-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Heres my update, and Thank You all for Your concern. This has been a really rough 2 weeks for my Daughter and Paige. First she went and stayed with a friend for 5 days till she found a Doggie Sitter. after a week they decided it was too much for them where they already have another dog. So then a Friend of mine took Jenn and the dog in for the last few days. Meanwhile I found her a new apartment that will allow her to keep the dog. She gets the keys today. and Hopefully all will work out. Thank You all.

kaj27
02-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Killiam is very....double sided like this. There are people in my building with animals but if I wanted a pet. I'd get a fat no.

Good to know you found a place that allows pets though.

inuit
02-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Glad to know she found a place. Sucks moving in middle of winter.