PDA

View Full Version : Computer Price Check

Maccosman
01-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Hey,

I am in the process of building a new PC and im wondering what my old pc would be worth.

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000+
Mobo: PCCHIPS s754 mATX
RAM: 2 x 1GB OCZ Gold pc3200 3-3-3-8 timings
Video: pny 6800GS 256mb AGP card
HDD: 160gb Seagate IDE
Case and psu: Generic case with a 450w psu

Well if you have any idea on a price for this, let me know.

jayson
01-24-2008, 11:15 AM
i would say 350-400 dollars

fizzle
01-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Well purchasing similar parts from ncix right now, your about $375 New....that’s with a dual core 4200 cpu.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
$200-250 is more reasonable<o:p></o:p>
If you shop around there are some pretty good deals on desktops and for $400 you can get a hell of a machine now days...<o:p></o:p>
just my 2 cents.<o:p></o:p>

paak
01-26-2008, 01:52 AM
$200-250 is more reasonable

The Ram and Video card alone are worth almost that...bear in mind that DDR is DOUBLE the price of DDR2(ram is virtually ALL lifetime warranty, so is basically irrelevant if its new or used). And a 6800 is still a pretty darn good card too.

There's not much difference in price between the mid-range slightly older stuff and the lower-end of newer stuff...

But then again, you have to consider where you are trying to sell it...

Stick with the 325-375 range, any less and you'd be better off selling the parts individually.

technical_sneeze
01-26-2008, 03:31 PM
The Ram and Video card alone are worth almost that...bear in mind that DDR is DOUBLE the price of DDR2(ram is virtually ALL lifetime warranty, so is basically irrelevant if its new or used). And a 6800 is still a pretty darn good card too.

There's not much difference in price between the mid-range slightly older stuff and the lower-end of newer stuff...

Stick with the 325-375 range, any less and you'd be better off selling the parts individually.

I totally agree 325 would be great deal on ANY other place you could sell this PC.

fizzle
01-26-2008, 08:33 PM

umm ATI HD 2600 XT $70-80 NEW when on sale and it kills the 6800 in just about every game...

2 gigs of DDR ram is about $125 New again....$50-75 used in town if you know where to look....But you can't go but what it costs new as it's not being made anymore! It's old tech, outdated....you can buy faster and newer tech for less.

For 375 I can put a brand new system together, 2 gigs of ddr2 800, dual core...the whole bit....why would someone spend the same and buy a used system that can't compete with a new one??? Hell buy a dell for $309 add the video card, around $400 and you have a great machine for the price.

paak
01-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Well then......

So, whats up with this?

Duron 1.26Ghz
256 Megs Ram
10 Gig Hard disk
52x cdrom
onboard sound
onboard video
onboard ethernet

$75 OBO

Can add an original windows xp pro with coa for $70

..145 for a 5+ year old computer(and thats after you lowered the price a couple times)?? And you say the other guy's stuff is only worth 200?? And his has 16x bigger hdd, 8x more ram, half-decent vid card. Heck of alot faster CPU. XP media center! Whats wrong with this logic???

For 375 I can put a brand new system together, 2 gigs of ddr2 800, dual core...the whole bit....
[Legitimately] Add an XP OS(not just raping a sticker from one system to another - thats not legal) and you are well over the 500 mark...not as attractive now is it?

RancidCrow
01-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Would love to know where I could get 2 Gigs of DDR for $125.

BHLombardy
01-26-2008, 11:11 PM
It's like this... despite what parts CAN or MAY be had for... the PC is all set up and and is ready to be sold. Asking on here what you think it's worth is going to garner a plethora of responses.

Those telling you to low-ball because it's used, and comparing to lower than average prices for new gear are (in my opinion) not being realistic to your target audience.

No offense Fizzle, but not everyone reading this forum is savvy enough to know what parts to order that are compatible with each other, nor are they able to put the parts together and expect them to run. -- and nor would they even attempt to. Those who may be looking for a PC but wouldnt have the first clue how to build one of they ordered those parts from afar.

Your target audience shouldnt consist of those people who can do those things. those types will simply just order the parts and build their own. The people you are targetting simply want a working, reliable PC at a fair price.

My best advice: check the posts lof others and see what similar items are selling for. Be realisitic, price yours comparably (up or down, depending on plusses or minuses yours may have).

Ask for what you think is fair, and in a range of what you'll settle for and you'll likely get what you need in return.

If your PC seems like a fair price to them, then they'll inquire. It's just that simple.

Happy selling!

technical_sneeze
01-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Ahmen Lombardy :)

fizzle
01-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Well then......

So, whats up with this?

..145 for a 5+ year old computer(and thats after you lowered the price a couple times)?? And you say the other guy's stuff is only worth 200?? And his has 16x bigger hdd, 8x more ram, half-decent vid card. Heck of alot faster CPU. XP media center! Whats wrong with this logic???

Come on you know how pricing goes, your obviously in the business…prices can only go so low. Whats a 10gig drive worth??? whats a 160gig drive worth? not 16x the price...

[Legitimately] Add an XP OS(not just raping a sticker from one system to another - thats not legal) and you are well over the 500 mark...not as attractive now is it?

Yes it would beover 500, I neglected to take the OS into account, my fault. So add another say 75 to his price…$275-$325.

fizzle
01-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Would love to know where I could get 2 Gigs of DDR for $125.

Try canada computers or ncix...cc had 2 gigs for $105

fizzle
01-27-2008, 07:22 PM
It's like this... despite what parts CAN or MAY be had for... the PC is all set up and and is ready to be sold. Asking on here what you think it's worth is going to garner a plethora of responses.

Those telling you to low-ball because it's used, and comparing to lower than average prices for new gear are (in my opinion) not being realistic to your target audience.

No offense Fizzle, but not everyone reading this forum is savvy enough to know what parts to order that are compatible with each other, nor are they able to put the parts together and expect them to run. -- and nor would they even attempt to. Those who may be looking for a PC but wouldnt have the first clue how to build one of they ordered those parts from afar.

Your target audience shouldnt consist of those people who can do those things. those types will simply just order the parts and build their own. The people you are targetting simply want a working, reliable PC at a fair price.

My best advice: check the posts lof others and see what similar items are selling for. Be realisitic, price yours comparably (up or down, depending on plusses or minuses yours may have).

Ask for what you think is fair, and in a range of what you'll settle for and you'll likely get what you need in return.

If your PC seems like a fair price to them, then they'll inquire. It's just that simple.

Happy selling!

I agree 100%

paak
01-27-2008, 07:33 PM
…prices can only go so low

Exactly.

Perhaps I was a bit melodramic lol, just trying to make that point. No offense intended.

fizzle
01-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Exactly.

Perhaps I was a bit melodramic lol, just trying to make that point. No offense intended.

None taken. J

lizard_lover
02-01-2008, 01:11 PM
fizzle...I work for a microsoft anti-piracy dept. There is NO WAY you would ever be able to sell a LEGITIMATE copy of xp pro for 70$...it is retailed for a little over 300$ right now I believe...and if it is OEM...then you have moved the COA, which is illegal! OEM software is tied to the computer it comes on. When the computer died the software dies with it. It is people like you who make my customers...

joey.jeremiah
02-24-2008, 09:05 PM
not true, you can buy an OEM copy of windows with something as simple as a keyboard from NCIX for 99 dollars bundled price.

BHLombardy
02-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Joey?

First up, What Lizard Lover said is true... XP Pro is not $70 -- nor is it $99... it's $169 for an OEM copy... and retail copies are over $300

Secondly. Having been a member of the Micosoft DSP channel... I can tell you with great certainty that OEM windows should only be sold when bundled with either a CPU, Motherboard, or Hard drive... (or any combination thereof ... meaning you cant get 2 copies for buying both a CPU and a Harddrive).

What you certainly cannot do, is buy OEM packages of Windows with a keyboard, or any other periheral device... at least not legitemately.

The logic is this:

If certain key hardware in the end users's system fails, or their system spec changes due to an upgrade (again, either the CPU, motherboard, or primary harddrive...) The end user is given this avenue to re-install an OS from scratch (which often times is actually required if the above hardware has changed).

Since not all packaged computers come bundled with CDs originally, the option to buy CDs is extended with said hardware purchase. -- since a re-install is likely if not inevitable... and thus CDs would be required.

Microsoft just doesnt see how installing a video card, upgrading RAM, or replacing a keyboard and/or mouse fulfills the requirement to re-isntall the OS. -- and thus this option is not made available those types of purchases.