PDA

View Full Version : need some help with an emachine, dont laugh

mattpage84
01-21-2008, 06:50 AM
im trying to flash my bios on a t4155 to support a larger cpu. i checked on the mobo manufacturer's website (fic) mobo # vc31 pcb 1.x as listed by cpu-z. Its currently running the OEM bios of IED42 but the fic site lists IEA41 an up as valid upgrades, an none of those listed on there site will work. i spoke with emachine through there live chat an basically got a case number for my next prob an thats bout it lol, they basically told me to talk to fic, but i thought you guys here know more bout there products then they do so im on my knees anyone know what else i can do( other then kicking it) to flash my bios?

BHLombardy
01-21-2008, 01:09 PM
First up, go into the BIOS and ensure there isn't an option that prevent you from flashing the BIOS. Some systems have this in place.
The option may look like "Update BIOS: DISABLE" -- you want to enable it so you can run the update.

Assuming you do have a VC31... here is the most recent BIOS and FLash utility in a zip file:

ftp://ftp.fica.com/mirror/fict/motherboard/bios/socket478/vc31/iea45_vc31_pcb14.zip

Download the above ZIP file, and extract the files AF820a.EXE and iea45.BIN to a bootable floppy (Note: if you dont have a bootable floppy, or don't know how to create one, or even have a floppy drive, there are ways around this... let me know. But let's presume right now that you do have a bootable floppy and a floppy drive)

Boot the system with the floppy disk that has these two files on it: rive, and type the following at the A:> prompt...
A:> AF820a.exe iea45.bin

It will then ask if you want to save the current bios first (good idea, but you may not have enough disk space... try it, naming the old version OLDBIOS.BIN)

After it saves, Select "Y" to "Are you sure to program?"

NOTE: DO NOT power off the system for any reason unless the BIOS update is successful.

Wait until "Message: Power Off or Reset the system" is displayed.

Assuming it is, eject the floppy disk and restart.
It is advised to re-enter the BIOS, load setup defaults and reconfigure the settings. (this isnt necessary usually)

IF THE UPDATE FAILS:

If it fails, you may have a corrupt BIN file. -- IMPORTANT: DO NOT REBOOT.
Instead, attempt the first command at the A:> prompt a second time (do not save the old bios this time)...
If it fails again, use the above command at the A:> prompt, but use OLDBIOS.BIN as the file name to restore your old BIOS (Again, do not save when it prompts)

(My apologies if this sounds like I'm talking down to you... I dont intend to, I just dont want to leave anything to guessing... flashing a BIOS could be tricky if you're someone who has never done it before)

mattpage84
01-21-2008, 01:30 PM
it wont recognize the proper update because its locked with an oem bios

BHLombardy
01-21-2008, 01:36 PM
I editted above... by the time you replied... but in the first line I mention to check the BIOS to see if there is an option to enable or disable the ability to flash a BIOS

Sometimes there may be a jumper on the mainboard that disbale the ability to do a bios update... check for that as well.

Also, try UNIFLASH... http://www.uniflash.org/

use the BIN file from the Zip (mentioned above) with it. I havent used UniFlash, but I have heard tell of it being able to flash locked BIOS's

mattpage84
01-21-2008, 01:47 PM
ive looked the board over for about 4 hours last nite, lol, an there is no jumpers preventing it, an there was bios guardian but i have it disabled. i can try uniflash, i have tried the most recent bios update you have posted, but if uniflash will work ill give er a shot be back in a bit lol

mattpage84
01-21-2008, 02:00 PM
nowits telling me that there is data verification error's an that it cant complete and ask's if i wanna try again

kaj27
01-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Disable anything in the BIOS that says about virus protection also. These protect BIOS information. Usless.

I was able to flash a MDG computer that was "Zapped" by them because of someone not paying their bills. I did exactly what you are trying to do, funny that MDG doesn't have a BIOS lock but.....eMachine does?

You aren't doing this in Windows are you?

mattpage84
01-21-2008, 02:21 PM
nope strickly booting off a floppy into dos